BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #23
te37
Major
te37's Avatar
484
Rep
1,131
Posts

Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: ATL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
Have you tried one? My children, 26, 25 and 22 were all PC gamer types.....swore PC's were better than Mac. Bought them all MacBook Pro's a few years ago. No issues with viruses, bugs whatever. They are all converts now.

My wife was IT director for a big fortune 500 company for years, hates PC's and loves her MacBook.

They are a little different than PC, but I've had nothing but good luck with them, I think back to when I had PC's cause Mac was too expensive, and the time I spent on the phone with tech support, and all the virus headaches.

All I'm suggesting is that you have a look, you might be surprised. Or not. Regardless, good luck with what ever you get.
Problem for OP will arise at drive capacity. Apple charges out the @$$ for a bigger NVME SSD. All be it fast as hell, comes at a steep price. Cannot believe they even build MacBook Pros with lousy 256Gb SSDs.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 10:36 AM   #24
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
4346
Rep
1,400
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: The Golden Horseshoe, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
Problem for OP will arise at drive capacity. Apple charges out the @$$ for a bigger NVME SSD. All be it fast as hell, comes at a steep price. Cannot believe they even build MacBook Pros with lousy 256Gb SSDs.
I guess I'm at the point in my life where I don't mind spending a bit more cash for peace of mind. My father always said that you'll be happier spending a bit more upfront to get quality. My MacBook Air is 5 years old, never a singe issue and I can't even think about getting a newer sexier laptop just to have the latest and greatest.

Having said that I haven't had a PC for over a decade now so other than work computers maybe I'm not qualified to do a comparison. For now I'm sticking with Mac.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 10:44 AM   #25
te37
Major
te37's Avatar
484
Rep
1,131
Posts

Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: ATL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
I guess I'm at the point in my life where I don't mind spending a bit more cash for peace of mind. My father always said that you'll be happier spending a bit more upfront to get quality. My MacBook Air is 5 years old, never a singe issue and I can't even think about getting a newer sexier laptop just to have the latest and greatest.

Having said that I haven't had a PC for over a decade now so other than work computers maybe I'm not qualified to do a comparison. For now I'm sticking with Mac.
Didn't say Macs were bad, just don't know OPs price threshold. I would assume OP could go 4 figures and not care considering we are on a forum with 70k+ vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 11:09 AM   #26
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
1943
Rep
2,479
Posts

Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: PA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
No more Mac talk please. I'm not buying a Mac.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #27
Daz330cd
Private
7
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: E93 330cd
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

I have a Lenovo Ultrabook X1 Carbon. Very light, 8gb of ram. SSD. The battery lasts for ages.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #28
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
122
Rep
388
Posts

Drives: '07 328xic '11.0 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
What's the budget here? Win7 is available til October through downgrade rights. I own an IT company, so I do this for a living.


My home machine - 6700k @4.8 don't want to go high due to daily duty (voltage got scary to hold over 5ghz considering daily duty), dual 980Ti's -overclocked (~1480). Samsung 950 pro 512Gb. 16Gb OC'd ddr4. Cpu/gpu water cooled. Fun build last winter for 4k simulation gaming and of course Dirt haha

I'll add some pics when I can resize to fit limits =)
__________________

2011.0 E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP ZTP ZPP Black Wrapped Jerez Black + 2007 E92 328xic 6MT
2007 YZF-R6 + 2001 Honda Shadow ACE
1989 RS Camaro - HO 350, Dynomax headers, flowmaster AT exhaust, 4.56 gears
2015 STI Launch Edition

Last edited by SSJTrunks523; 08-20-2016 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #29
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
122
Rep
388
Posts

Drives: '07 328xic '11.0 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
And don't spread that Mac doesn't get infections. It is becoming more and more of a problem as Mac sales increase. Being Unix based, Mac is less susceptible to OS-wide infections, but browser hijacking and infections do exist. We have Linux, Windows and Mac at our office and work on all of them professionally. Saying "Macs don't get infections" just increases the likelihood that people do not use safe browsing habits when using a Mac. They used to hide in the lack of numbers, but now that Apple is more and more successful, more people are developing malware/adware aimed at them.


They are definitely safer right now, but it is like like saying that Honda motors don't die, so you shouldn't bother doing proper maintenance.
__________________

2011.0 E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP ZTP ZPP Black Wrapped Jerez Black + 2007 E92 328xic 6MT
2007 YZF-R6 + 2001 Honda Shadow ACE
1989 RS Camaro - HO 350, Dynomax headers, flowmaster AT exhaust, 4.56 gears
2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 1
VRG_135790.50

      08-21-2016, 08:50 PM   #30
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
1943
Rep
2,479
Posts

Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: PA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTrunks523 View Post
What's the budget here? Win7 is available til October through downgrade rights. I own an IT company, so I do this for a living.


My home machine - 6700k @4.8 don't want to go high due to daily duty (voltage got scary to hold over 5ghz considering daily duty), dual 980Ti's -overclocked (~1480). Samsung 950 pro 512Gb. 16Gb OC'd ddr4. Cpu/gpu water cooled. Fun build last winter for 4k simulation gaming and of course Dirt haha

I'll add some pics when I can resize to fit limits =)
I'd like to keep it under $600
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 10:43 PM   #31
te37
Major
te37's Avatar
484
Rep
1,131
Posts

Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: ATL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTrunks523 View Post
What's the budget here? Win7 is available til October through downgrade rights. I own an IT company, so I do this for a living.


My home machine - 6700k @4.8 don't want to go high due to daily duty (voltage got scary to hold over 5ghz considering daily duty), dual 980Ti's -overclocked (~1480). Samsung 950 pro 512Gb. 16Gb OC'd ddr4. Cpu/gpu water cooled. Fun build last winter for 4k simulation gaming and of course Dirt haha

I'll add some pics when I can resize to fit limits =)
You can load Windows 7 ten years from now if you want, and use it as long as there are drivers for it. IMO OP just needs to bite the bullet and go with Windows 10 now. Soon, like XP, Windows 7 will start to see a decline in support and compatibility. As I was saying with Windows 10, it is a lot more "look like, feel like" to Windows 7 so not to worry there more so than horrid Windows 8 and 8.1.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...39&ignorebbr=1

OR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...43&ignorebbr=1
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2016, 08:58 AM   #32
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
122
Rep
388
Posts

Drives: '07 328xic '11.0 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
You can load Windows 7 ten years from now if you want, and use it as long as there are drivers for it. IMO OP just needs to bite the bullet and go with Windows 10 now. Soon, like XP, Windows 7 will start to see a decline in support and compatibility. As I was saying with Windows 10, it is a lot more "look like, feel like" to Windows 7 so not to worry there more so than horrid Windows 8 and 8.1.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...39&ignorebbr=1

OR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...43&ignorebbr=1
OEM manufacturers can't sell Win7 through downgrade rights after October is what I meant. - http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...windows-7-pcs/


I didn't figure that OP was going to purchase a separate license on his own in addition to the new computer. I didn't say that you can't buy it. I'm guessing that OP doesn't want to deal with that. To ensure that drivers all work, you can buy a machine that has a Win7 counterpart (but cheaper with home) to ensure that you have the drivers. Just making it way too complicated for the end user here. Also takes a chunk of out a tight $600 budget to buy an additional retail license for Win 7.

Refurbs with fresh licenses will be sold for years to come. You can get Win7 pro for about ~$40 if the item is for resale. Breaking EULA to use it any other way.

Both those machines are good spec-wise, but I'd go with the lenovo. Had terrible luck with Dell on the home-line machines, but their business stuff is bulletproof.
__________________

2011.0 E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP ZTP ZPP Black Wrapped Jerez Black + 2007 E92 328xic 6MT
2007 YZF-R6 + 2001 Honda Shadow ACE
1989 RS Camaro - HO 350, Dynomax headers, flowmaster AT exhaust, 4.56 gears
2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #33
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
122
Rep
388
Posts

Drives: '07 328xic '11.0 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZ06 View Post
I'd like to keep it under $600
How technical are you? Can you add memory yourself?

The 1 TB HDD is going to put you down on speed vs SSD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834321418

yes $750, but comes with what you are asking for. Has 7 support and 7 installed. Win10 is the OS sold with it, so you can upgrade anytime. The dedicated GPU isn't that much better than the Intel 520, but you said that you aren't gaming. At least the drive is 7200rpm.

Do you care about features like touchscreen or being a convertible? I don't, but some people do. Win10 is much better than 7 at that. - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834331607

Going to be much faster.

In your position, I personally would buy the cheapest thing I could find with a Skylake processor (Corei-65XX series), upgrade memory myself and throw an SSD in.
__________________

2011.0 E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP ZTP ZPP Black Wrapped Jerez Black + 2007 E92 328xic 6MT
2007 YZF-R6 + 2001 Honda Shadow ACE
1989 RS Camaro - HO 350, Dynomax headers, flowmaster AT exhaust, 4.56 gears
2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 1
VRG_135790.50

      08-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #34
Sidewinderpb
Chef don't judge
319
Rep
1,704
Posts

Drives: F30 328i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Norwalk, CT

iTrader: (7)

Whatever you do, don't get a Lenovo Y70. Never have I been so infuriated by a track pad - to the extent that is a complete dealbreaker.
__________________
2014 328i xDrive | EB2/Black | M-Sport
2011 335i xDrive | BSM/Coral Red - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 09:39 AM   #35
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
791
Rep
1,944
Posts

Drives: 2012 Silver 135 DCT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas Area (McKinney), TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tova86 View Post
Alienware 4k with gtx 980m card
Hasn't Alienware been totally slammed in the press ever since Dell took over? I hear they are overrated now. Of course, I buy used HP's that are merely "serviceable" aka cheap.
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #36
Jhenka
Private First Class
Jhenka's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
191
Posts

Drives: 2015 M5
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
I've built quite a few PC's and laptops. Name brands don't mean anything unless you get a mac.

1) what do you plan on doing with it? Ie. Video editing, Web browsing, Downloading/ streaming movies, using tv's as extra displays? You mentioned work (without getting into too much detail) is it just basic outlook and office work or will you be running power hungry programs?

2) Budget. Self explanatory.

3) style. How portable does it need to be? Do you prefer a lighter or heavier Laptop. Do you mind a plastic body or would you prefer an aluminum frame?

4) How long does your battery need to last you?

5) Do you need a physical Keyboard or can you travel with one that can sync up with your device?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #37
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
122
Rep
388
Posts

Drives: '07 328xic '11.0 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRG_135 View Post
Hasn't Alienware been totally slammed in the press ever since Dell took over? I hear they are overrated now. Of course, I buy used HP's that are merely "serviceable" aka cheap.
Alienware is massively overpriced, but so are most gaming laptops. They are big, bulky, outrageously expensive and need to be replaced at a ridiculous rate to keep up.

Desktop - anything Sandybridge+ you just throw in some new cards and on your way

Coming from a guy with a $4k+ home desktop.
__________________

2011.0 E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP ZTP ZPP Black Wrapped Jerez Black + 2007 E92 328xic 6MT
2007 YZF-R6 + 2001 Honda Shadow ACE
1989 RS Camaro - HO 350, Dynomax headers, flowmaster AT exhaust, 4.56 gears
2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 10:00 AM   #38
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
122
Rep
388
Posts

Drives: '07 328xic '11.0 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenka View Post
I've built quite a few PC's and laptops. Name brands don't mean anything unless you get a mac.

1) what do you plan on doing with it? Ie. Video editing, Web browsing, Downloading/ streaming movies, using tv's as extra displays? You mentioned work (without getting into too much detail) is it just basic outlook and office work or will you be running power hungry programs?

2) Budget. Self explanatory.

3) style. How portable does it need to be? Do you prefer a lighter or heavier Laptop. Do you mind a plastic body or would you prefer an aluminum frame?

4) How long does your battery need to last you?

5) Do you need a physical Keyboard or can you travel with one that can sync up with your device?
OP said $600 budget, so we don't have a lot to work with.

Mac is more of an OS than a brand in this case. Brands at different price points have their strength's and weaknesses. I suggest different brands for different purposes. They all have their uses, you just need to play them to your needs. I sell A LOT of hardware from every brand imaginable. There are definitely differences. Like a last poster said, just down to how a trackpad is on a certain make/model can make you choose a different system.

Good questions for the OP in general though. Those are all important for us to know what is really best for you as an individual. 3) is difficult. Searching by "aluminum frame" is something that I have been asked to do in the past. Huge PITA lol
__________________

2011.0 E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP ZTP ZPP Black Wrapped Jerez Black + 2007 E92 328xic 6MT
2007 YZF-R6 + 2001 Honda Shadow ACE
1989 RS Camaro - HO 350, Dynomax headers, flowmaster AT exhaust, 4.56 gears
2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #39
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
R3dliner's Avatar
United_States
841
Rep
1,906
Posts

Drives: 18 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NYC

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTrunks523 View Post
What's the budget here? Win7 is available til October through downgrade rights. I own an IT company, so I do this for a living.


My home machine - 6700k @4.8 don't want to go high due to daily duty (voltage got scary to hold over 5ghz considering daily duty), dual 980Ti's -overclocked (~1480). Samsung 950 pro 512Gb. 16Gb OC'd ddr4. Cpu/gpu water cooled. Fun build last winter for 4k simulation gaming and of course Dirt haha

I'll add some pics when I can resize to fit limits =)
My god that's a monster machine you got there. How's the FPS on 4k gaming on the SLI setup?

My MSI gaming laptops not cutting it(i7 6280k, 980M, (2) Samsung 950 pro) trying to build a monster GTX 1080 desktop.
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #40
Jaghave
Colonel
804
Rep
2,136
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 340i (Auto) RWD
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

I only recommend desktop that youe build yourself and tablets, laptops seem pointless currently.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 11:25 AM   #41
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
122
Rep
388
Posts

Drives: '07 328xic '11.0 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
My god that's a monster machine you got there. How's the FPS on 4k gaming on the SLI setup?

My MSI gaming laptops not cutting it(i7 6280k, 980M, (2) Samsung 950 pro) trying to build a monster GTX 1080 desktop.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/dWkTwP

My build. I'd added an EVGA SLI bridge and 8TB Seagate Enterprise that is on its way back to seagate. Died after almost no use. $1080 hold for an advanced RMA and they are on back order, so I'm sans-data drive right now.

Depends on the game and settings, but to give an idea Battlefield 4 will run ~95-100 fps. I actually just got my tv.

I have a Acer Predator x34 (21:9 1440p) that I use as my daily monitor and a 65" Samsung UN65JU7500 that I picked up on a ridiculous closeout sale =)

I save a lot because I buy direct through vendors. Having reseller status has it's perks =)

I am so tempted by the 1080s, but I just can't justify replacing the 980ti's. Just like I couldn't justify the price for Haswell-E (and 2 additional cards) to do 4-way SLI, but man I was tempted!

Desktop is always going to be superior, but some people need a laptop. That MSI you have shouldn't be a slouch.
__________________

2011.0 E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP ZTP ZPP Black Wrapped Jerez Black + 2007 E92 328xic 6MT
2007 YZF-R6 + 2001 Honda Shadow ACE
1989 RS Camaro - HO 350, Dynomax headers, flowmaster AT exhaust, 4.56 gears
2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 1
R3dliner840.50

      08-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #42
zx10guy
Colonel
2434
Rep
2,461
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

I like my current Dell XPS 13. Build quality has been good. All metal chassis. I opted for the non touch screen as I found myself not using a touch screen capable 2in1 prior to moving to this laptop. It has an i5 that has enough power to do most everything I want out of it in power saver mode. I'm getting an honest 8 to 10 hours of battery life from the laptop before having to plug back in. Charging is pretty quick. I think I can get a full charge from near empty in about 2 to 3 hours.

You may want to look at the bigger XPS 15 as you'll have more drive options on that one. Also, I would look on Dell's outlet section. You'll find some great deals there on units that are either refurbished, scratch/dent, or cancelled orders. It's an even better deal when Dell runs some of their promos on outlet items. There was a XPS outlet sale a few months ago where Dell was offering an additional 30% off on in stock XPS outlet models. If you time it right, you can get a very decent laptop for that $600 budget.

The XPS 13 I have was bought off the outlet store and it came in what looked like brand new condition. Plus all outlet products carry a full warranty along with the same return policy as a new unit.
Appreciate 3
      08-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #43
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
R3dliner's Avatar
United_States
841
Rep
1,906
Posts

Drives: 18 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NYC

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTrunks523 View Post
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/dWkTwP

My build. I'd added an EVGA SLI bridge and 8TB Seagate Enterprise that is on its way back to seagate. Died after almost no use. $1080 hold for an advanced RMA and they are on back order, so I'm sans-data drive right now.

Depends on the game and settings, but to give an idea Battlefield 4 will run ~95-100 fps. I actually just got my tv.

I have a Acer Predator x34 (21:9 1440p) that I use as my daily monitor and a 65" Samsung UN65JU7500 that I picked up on a ridiculous closeout sale =)

I save a lot because I buy direct through vendors. Having reseller status has it's perks =)

I am so tempted by the 1080s, but I just can't justify replacing the 980ti's. Just like I couldn't justify the price for Haswell-E (and 2 additional cards) to do 4-way SLI, but man I was tempted!

Desktop is always going to be superior, but some people need a laptop. That MSI you have shouldn't be a slouch.
Sick build. I'm going to hit you up for some advice when its time. Your 980ti is still good. Wait until the 1080ti comes out.

My whole thing is my 17in laptop screen ain't cutting it.
What refresh rate are you running?
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #44
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
122
Rep
388
Posts

Drives: '07 328xic '11.0 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
The predator OC's to 100Hz. I have the G-sync version (my work laptop has an nvidia as well).

I've heard great things about 144hz monitors, but no 1st hand experience. I LOVE the predator though.

That 980M has got to have something decent for an output. I know it defeats the purpose a bit, but buy a decent monitor and connect?

All of my outputs are DP. Just think that most of what I buy ends up being business/monitor expectations instead of homeline/TV.

I bought the Samsung for it's response time ( http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ju7500 ). I got it for pretty much what a 4k monitor goes for (Asus ROG) and I needed the extra tv, so it was easier to bring into the house without the wife getting mad haha

HMU if you ever have any questions. I love this stuff =)
__________________

2011.0 E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP ZTP ZPP Black Wrapped Jerez Black + 2007 E92 328xic 6MT
2007 YZF-R6 + 2001 Honda Shadow ACE
1989 RS Camaro - HO 350, Dynomax headers, flowmaster AT exhaust, 4.56 gears
2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST