BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #111
VTENGR
Major
405
Rep
1,113
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 M50i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaasky View Post
1. this m50i review video consists of 90% of "data readout" you can read from bmw website... there isn't much criticism so it reads more like a dealership review than anything. it's not surprising since a dealer employee was with him. can a reputable journalist please review this car and do a proper test?
2. the last thing he said--tiny LEDs light in the moonroof--was misinformed. i heard that from many people, not just him, but to any discerning person w/ any common sense, upon a closer look, will immediately know that those dots in the glass are NOT LEDs. those are etching in the glass--imperfections to reflect lights from the side of the glass. Without imperfection, light will simply pass through the body of glass (think glass fiber); imperfection will reflect the light outward (think the terminus of a fiber)
3. the exhaust sound is very muted when actually driving a m50i, so not sure how he was able to isolate it out so clearly in the video.
4. there are so many bad things about m50i but he didn't say any of them, probably because he didn't really spend time driving it and using it. things u only see when you spend a lot of time with it. see my other posts for them.
regarding item #4 - most of your "cons" have to deal with the G05 generally and not specifically the M50i. The only negative/positive you mention specific to the M50i is the exhaust note. This reviewer makes a good point regarding that. The M850i has a louder exhaust but uses the same engine as teh X5 M50i - the reason being, BMW assumes that people buying the X5 are using it to cart their families around. Ppl ith young children riding in the back would probably prefer the muted exhaust note vs ppl driving the M850i who are looking for purely a performance sedan.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:04 PM   #112
Paladin1
Captain
Paladin1's Avatar
United_States
317
Rep
700
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i M Sport, Arctic Gr
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 X5 M Sport  [0.00]
So the "many bad things about the M50i" - other than it's not noisy enough - are....?
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2019, 04:22 PM   #113
mpaasky
Enlisted Member
18
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: '20 x5m50i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sf-ca

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
So the "many bad things about the M50i" - other than it's not noisy enough - are....?
as the person above u pointed out, those are not exclusive issues to m50i, or even x5. nonetheless, they are issues, and thus bad things, that one shall know and consider when buying it, vs buying a different car.

without re-posting what i wrote before, here are some of my biggest complaints:

key/account/profile is confusing and unnecessary
tech is full of bugs. drive recorder, bmw connect app, carplay, either break and require reboot or don't work at all
seat ventilation is useless (see the tread i started)
built in navi does not accept a new home address even though google map api already does for more than 10 months. bmw navi obviously has online capability so not sure why it can't fall back to google api when its built in db yields no record?

dont get me wrong it's still better than all other suvs in its class that's why i bought it.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #114
Paladin1
Captain
Paladin1's Avatar
United_States
317
Rep
700
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i M Sport, Arctic Gr
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 X5 M Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaasky View Post
as the person above u pointed out, those are not exclusive issues to m50i, or even x5. nonetheless, they are issues, and thus bad things, that one shall know and consider when buying it, vs buying a different car.

without re-posting what i wrote before, here are some of my biggest complaints:

key/account/profile is confusing and unnecessary
tech is full of bugs. drive recorder, bmw connect app, carplay, either break and require reboot or don't work at all
seat ventilation is useless (see the tread i started)
built in navi does not accept a new home address even though google map api already does for more than 10 months. bmw navi obviously has online capability so not sure why it can't fall back to google api when its built in db yields no record?

dont get me wrong it's still better than all other suvs in its class that's why i bought it.
Ah, thanks. Now here's my opinion and observations, just applicable to my car - not every car, not yours, not universally, not blanketing the whole Universe of X5s. Just mine. Key account and profiles work fine for me; haven't had a problem, and I haven't been confused.

Tech does have bugs, many reported here. My passenger-side camera is misaligned, which is aggravating when parking. Still no OTA software updates, although apparently map update works. My 3D Remote View has never worked, at least correctly and reliably. Otherwise the Connect app works great. No problems at all with Drive Recorder - a feature I really like since I don't have a dashcam and am not interested in rewiring my car to install one. That's about it for tech issues I'd like to see fixed. I don't consider them "bad," just inconvenient. "Bad" would be if my Nav screen was blank, or ACC didn't work. That would be "bad." A matter of degree I suppose.

Not an Apple user. Like the majority of the connected Universe, I'm an Android user, so can't comment on CarPlay glitches. It would be nice if Android Auto was available, but again more a matter of convenience, and the excellent Nav system almost compensates. Almost.

Seat ventilation works as expected and experienced in many other cars, and in fact much better than my late model Q7. It's definitely not as noisy. I like it. I'm sure you meant useless for you.

I haven't had a problem with any features of the Navigation system, including entering and editing addresses. The voice control for it is the best implementation I've seen in any system, accurate and intuitive, and sending addresses from the Connect app has worked flawlessly. The best in-car navigation I've used, in function and appearance, even, for me, better than Audi's Virtual Cockpit, which was actually just a Google gimmick.

I've been pretty impressed. It's not perfect - it doesn't corner or accelerate like my R8 did. But then, well.... As for the tech, see above inconveniences. It would be nice if it was less expensive. And had more color options. And got 50 mpg. Those aside, I tend to agree with the majority of reviewers who rate it the best SUV available right now.
Appreciate 3
BBDDVV9.00
2REP16.50

      02-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #115
mcsa
Captain
mcsa's Avatar
31
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: F15, G05 on order
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sarajevo

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Throttle House

Couple of amusing video reviews from Thomas and James of Throttle House:

X5 vs Tesla model X:


X6 M50i:


I just love their style...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 10:06 AM   #116
mcsa
Captain
mcsa's Avatar
31
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: F15, G05 on order
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sarajevo

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
AutoTopNL

M50d review on autobahn from AutoTopNL:
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 10:16 AM   #117
mcsa
Captain
mcsa's Avatar
31
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: F15, G05 on order
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sarajevo

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
AutoTopNL

M50i review from AutoTopNL on autobahn (no speed limit &#128515
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 11:43 AM   #118
scotchy
Second Lieutenant
76
Rep
200
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaasky View Post
1. this m50i review video consists of 90% of "data readout" you can read from bmw website... there isn't much criticism so it reads more like a dealership review than anything. it's not surprising since a dealer employee was with him. can a reputable journalist please review this car and do a proper test?
2. the last thing he said--tiny LEDs light in the moonroof--was misinformed. i heard that from many people, not just him, but to any discerning person w/ any common sense, upon a closer look, will immediately know that those dots in the glass are NOT LEDs. those are etching in the glass--imperfections to reflect lights from the side of the glass. Without imperfection, light will simply pass through the body of glass (think glass fiber); imperfection will reflect the light outward (think the terminus of a fiber)
3. the exhaust sound is very muted when actually driving a m50i, so not sure how he was able to isolate it out so clearly in the video.
4. there are so many bad things about m50i but he didn't say any of them, probably because he didn't really spend time driving it and using it. things u only see when you spend a lot of time with it. see my other posts for them.
Lol on the LEDS, had an SA tell us we had to get the roof that has the thousands of embedded LEDS in it. And I believed him.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #119
anglo
Libertarian
anglo's Avatar
United_States
50321
Rep
3,662
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Sanctuary City

iTrader: (0)

The new X5 still hasnt grown on me, looks too much like a Kia!
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED524.00

      02-26-2020, 08:37 PM   #120
JTO24
Got an 8:30 res at Dorsia
JTO24's Avatar
United_States
2499
Rep
4,356
Posts

Drives: 2018 AW M2 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Jersey

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
The new X5 still hasnt grown on me, looks too much like a Kia!
I happen to think the new X5 is one of their best looking vehicles at the moment and I'm not really an SUV guy.
Appreciate 5
spikes111120.00
solstice1631.00
WWM3319.50
3284me44.50

      02-26-2020, 08:59 PM   #121
anglo
Libertarian
anglo's Avatar
United_States
50321
Rep
3,662
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Sanctuary City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
I happen to think the new X5 is one of their best looking vehicles at the moment and I'm not really an SUV guy.
Wow, You like this?
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 03:58 AM   #122
PeterPuitG
Private
Belgium
37
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: BMW X5 45e; X3 20d; 1990 911
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: België

iTrader: (0)

Harry Metcalfe's review was posted on this board already, i know. Just thought I 'd add it here as well:

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:12 AM   #123
JTO24
Got an 8:30 res at Dorsia
JTO24's Avatar
United_States
2499
Rep
4,356
Posts

Drives: 2018 AW M2 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Jersey

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
Wow, You like this?
You posted a pic of the lowest trim it looks like... it looks much better in higher trims, IMO.

__________________
2018 F87 M2 6MT | Alpine White | Exec. | OEM+
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
2016 981 Cayman 6MT | Jet Black | X73 Sport Suspension
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown | OEM+
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black | OEM+
Appreciate 3
GuyOh262.50
M-Pilot4431.50

      02-27-2020, 12:28 PM   #124
anglo
Libertarian
anglo's Avatar
United_States
50321
Rep
3,662
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Sanctuary City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
You posted a pic of the lowest trim it looks like... it looks much better in higher trims, IMO.
The blacked out grills dont look as huge lol
I'll give you that.

I dont get the obsession with the huge grills across all models!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:47 PM   #125
TJ_BMW
Second Lieutenant
TJ_BMW's Avatar
Australia
128
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5 30d
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
BMW X5M and X6M by Autogefühl



Shorter Video:
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 11:31 AM   #126
joshuastein55
Colonel
joshuastein55's Avatar
United_States
2811
Rep
2,058
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
As always, a great review from Savagegeese

__________________
Current Vehicles - 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 | 2019 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Retired Vehicles - 1995 325i 5MT | 2004 330i 6MT | 2011 335xi | 2017 540i | 2017 Boxster S 6MT
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #127
Deda
Major General
Deda's Avatar
Croatia
402
Rep
6,930
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 comp
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Croatia

iTrader: (0)

Oh come on...i can agree with most things with savagegeese , but not with suspension conclusion.
There is a huge difference between air suspension and M pro suspension.
Second thing,X5 with AS is soft as can be,even with 22 inch wheels.
Third thing,Harman Kardon is more then enough for 95 percent of customers...and if you have V8,you have beautiful exhaust rumble all the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 07:01 PM   #128
Tenac
Captain
Tenac's Avatar
320
Rep
715
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i, BMW X3 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

These guys typically due off-road and tow trucks but a new spin here.

__________________
2019 X5 50i
2019 X3 M40i
2017 Magnum X1
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #129
pho
New Member
pho's Avatar
Belgium
5
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e on order
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

X5 xDrive45e review by DrivingElectric
Another positive one!

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 07:56 AM   #130
jcr1962
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: x545e
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: ireland

iTrader: (0)

thanks

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 09:55 PM   #131
blacksunset200
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: BMW 520d
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Google is your friend

The best is if you google online, there are tons of links based on whats trending right now
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 09:41 AM   #132
Unit
Private
14
Rep
56
Posts

Drives: 2018 F82 M4 CP -> 2020 G05 X5
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

I don't think this guy really "gets" the M50i tbh. Some of his points whilst valid are probably because someone has tried to spec the car with some of the more luxurious comfort options that consequently dillute the M-Liteness of the M50i.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OSjrYAfbgM&t=954s
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST