BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-22-2019, 10:33 PM   #1
kschac
Private
United_States
24
Rep
59
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5, 2008 335i
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Massaging seat stopped working

My massaging seats suddenly stopped working - Driver's side only. If I depress the massage button, it will not light up and if I try to set the massage function or level in iDrive, the level stays in the "Off" position. I cannot set it to 1, 2, or 3. I rebooted iDrive but that didn't help.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2019, 11:35 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
Colonel
TurtleBoy's Avatar
1038
Rep
2,532
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 40i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Call the dealer, it is not worth your time trying to troubleshoot it. Hopefully it is something simple.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 12:13 AM   #3
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
russelldav's Avatar
Canada
348
Rep
847
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 50i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschac View Post
My massaging seats suddenly stopped working - Driver's side only. If I depress the massage button, it will not light up and if I try to set the massage function or level in iDrive, the level stays in the "Off" position. I cannot set it to 1, 2, or 3. I rebooted iDrive but that didn't help.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?
Sounds like a fuse. I'd call the dealer though it's a warranty job.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:56 AM   #4
kschac
Private
United_States
24
Rep
59
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5, 2008 335i
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Thanks, all. It seems the driver's seat just needed a rest after all that massaging. After leaving the car overnight, the massage function returned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
Sounds like a fuse. I'd call the dealer though it's a warranty job.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
Marty in NY
Major
Marty in NY's Avatar
United_States
668
Rep
1,495
Posts

Drives: '11 X3 35i, '18 GTi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschac View Post
Thanks, all. It seems the driver's seat just needed a rest after all that massaging. After leaving the car overnight, the massage function returned.
Huh? A rest? Ha ha, don't think so. The massage feature runs via an air pump that fills bladders in the seat. You may want to just reseat the electrical connectors as possibly the one that controls the pump is not fully seated and is therefore touch and go. If not, this will drive you nuts over time as it will be intermittent. There are a few connectors, just reseat all you can find by either pulling them apart and reseating them one by one or push them together tightly without pulling them apart first.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 11:36 AM   #6
MystroX5
Colonel
MystroX5's Avatar
2407
Rep
2,452
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, X5 50M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Central Pa.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Huh? A rest? Ha ha, don't think so. The massage feature runs via an air pump that fills bladders in the seat. You may want to just reseat the electrical connectors as possibly the one that controls the pump is not fully seated and is therefore touch and go. If not, this will drive you nuts over time as it will be intermittent. There are a few connectors, just reseat all you can find by either pulling them apart and reseating them one by one or push them together tightly without pulling them apart first.
Yes. This exactly. It sounds like a simple loose connection. I love these massage seats as they were a lifesaver on very long road trips. Last thing you will want to mess with when you really need them is a loose connection.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
qocerhuang
Private
25
Rep
91
Posts

Drives: BMW X5 2019 50i
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

The massage seats, I tried 1,2,3 and it is very weak.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 01:20 PM   #8
Marty in NY
Major
Marty in NY's Avatar
United_States
668
Rep
1,495
Posts

Drives: '11 X3 35i, '18 GTi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qocerhuang View Post
The massage seats, I tried 1,2,3 and it is very weak.
Funny you mention that, I was at the dealer yesterday and sat in the multi contour seats with massage turned on. I had them on level 3 and using iDrive, I tried all the various positions, including all of them at once. My wife and I expected a more vigorous massage but what we experienced was a subtle feeling, we had to actually concentrate on the feature in order to know it was working.
I was expecting it to be more like what my friend has in his Mercedes S Class. I will try them again before deciding whether to forget them or not but we were initially disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #9
TurtleBoy
Colonel
TurtleBoy's Avatar
1038
Rep
2,532
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 40i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

They are not meant to give a shiatsu massage, their purpose is to keep the blood flowing and provide relaxation. I only use them once in a while but the wife loves them. She said we should never get a vehicle again without them
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 01:38 PM   #10
Marty in NY
Major
Marty in NY's Avatar
United_States
668
Rep
1,495
Posts

Drives: '11 X3 35i, '18 GTi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

That's why we want to try them again in the future. We both went in with expectations that were not fulfilled thereby causing disappointment. Next time around, that won't be the case. We make long trips and I really wanted that feature.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 01:32 PM   #11
bimmer2019
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: c300
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

I only noticed this for the first time today with no music playing sitting in a quiet parking lot, but I had my massage seats going and at regular intervals, I heard the sound of air escaping/puffing out from behind me. The closest thing I can compare it to is the sound of air coming out of a balloon in short puffs. I understand that the massage seats function with those air pumps Marty referred to, but are these SUPPOSED to be audible? Has anyone else noticed this sound?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #12
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
natahoa's Avatar
United_States
224
Rep
937
Posts

Drives: x5 40i 2019
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Rural Eastern MD (Eastern Shore/Delmarva)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer2019 View Post
I only noticed this for the first time today with no music playing sitting in a quiet parking lot, but I had my massage seats going and at regular intervals, I heard the sound of air escaping/puffing out from behind me. The closest thing I can compare it to is the sound of air coming out of a balloon in short puffs. I understand that the massage seats function with those air pumps Marty referred to, but are these SUPPOSED to be audible? Has anyone else noticed this sound?
Yup, mine make that sound also. I love the massage seats. I donít want a distracting massage. The ventilated seat also makes a distinct sound on the highest setting, but turn it down one and you canít hear it.

Marty - you have to wait a minute or two to feel them, but keep them running and you will feel it for sure. I really like them!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:17 PM   #13
Marty in NY
Major
Marty in NY's Avatar
United_States
668
Rep
1,495
Posts

Drives: '11 X3 35i, '18 GTi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Yup, mine make that sound also. I love the massage seats. I donít want a distracting massage. The ventilated seat also makes a distinct sound on the highest setting, but turn it down one and you canít hear it.

Marty - you have to wait a minute or two to feel them, but keep them running and you will feel it for sure. I really like them!
Ha ha, I did, my wife and I both turned them on while sitting in the car with the SA in the back as we tried different features. After maybe a minute, I asked the SA if I did something wrong when turning them on cause I wasn't feeling anything, my wife agreed. So he directed me in iDrive to the settings, we cranked them up to their highest setting and I could feel the difference but we both thought they were weak. We actually kept them on while we played with other things and after a short bit forget they were even on :-(
Ok, well, I'm not a bone crusher so maybe this is best for our bodies on a long trip...which is why we want to give it another go at some point. I don't care if they make a little air noise, I just want to be able to drive 10-12 hours without a backache.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #14
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
natahoa's Avatar
United_States
224
Rep
937
Posts

Drives: x5 40i 2019
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Rural Eastern MD (Eastern Shore/Delmarva)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Ha ha, I did, my wife and I both turned them on while sitting in the car with the SA in the back as we tried different features. After maybe a minute, I asked the SA if I did something wrong when turning them on cause I wasn't feeling anything, my wife agreed. So he directed me in iDrive to the settings, we cranked them up to their highest setting and I could feel the difference but we both thought they were weak. We actually kept them on while we played with other things and after a short bit forget they were even on :-(
Ok, well, I'm not a bone crusher so maybe this is best for our bodies on a long trip...which is why we want to give it another go at some point. I don't care if they make a little air noise, I just want to be able to drive 10-12 hours without a backache.
If you want an X5, itís something you will have to live with. Or buy one that plugs into the cig lighter that is stronger.

I have mine set to back massage and I can feel it better than whole body. I think if you set it to just one region, it might feel more constant.

Trust me, the X5 is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 02:22 PM   #15
ivieisme
Enlisted Member
15
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

I was disappointed when I first felt them too but I have some nerve issues in my leg and usually can't drive for more than 90 minutes. The massage feature allowed me to do a 6 hour drive without even thinking of stopping.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 02:32 PM   #16
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
natahoa's Avatar
United_States
224
Rep
937
Posts

Drives: x5 40i 2019
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Rural Eastern MD (Eastern Shore/Delmarva)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivieisme View Post
I was disappointed when I first felt them too but I have some nerve issues in my leg and usually can't drive for more than 90 minutes. The massage feature allowed me to do a 6 hour drive without even thinking of stopping.
My husband has sciatica and gets cramps when driving. He is totally turned off by all of the goodies in the car (very stubborn old man) but I think he will appreciate the massage on our upcoming long trip.

If I can trick him into using it. Unfortunately my arms arenít quite long enough to reach across the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 02:40 PM   #17
Aimster82
Second Lieutenant
54
Rep
260
Posts

Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

It depends on your seat settings. They can be very painful or you don't feel them at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #18
MystroX5
Colonel
MystroX5's Avatar
2407
Rep
2,452
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, X5 50M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Central Pa.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
My husband has sciatica and gets cramps when driving. He is totally turned off by all of the goodies in the car (very stubborn old man) but I think he will appreciate the massage on our upcoming long trip.

If I can trick him into using it. Unfortunately my arms aren’t quite long enough to reach across the car.
I drove from Florida to PA in one day. 1100 miles at one time in rain, ice, and snow. The massaging seats made this long trip absolutely painless for both my wife and myself. By far the most comfortable vehicle I have taken on this long trip. This is including some other fine luxury cars like a Audi A8, etc..

Last edited by MystroX5; 06-24-2019 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 03:17 PM   #19
TurtleBoy
Colonel
TurtleBoy's Avatar
1038
Rep
2,532
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 40i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
My husband has sciatica and gets cramps when driving. He is totally turned off by all of the goodies in the car (very stubborn old man) but I think he will appreciate the massage on our upcoming long trip.

If I can trick him into using it. Unfortunately my arms arenít quite long enough to reach across the car.
"Hey BMW, massage the passenger (driver)" will turn on the massage.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 04:07 PM   #20
kschac
Private
United_States
24
Rep
59
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5, 2008 335i
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Just following up my initial post. It took two visits to the dealer but they finally determined there was a loose connection, which caused the massage function in the driver's seat to conk out intermittently. It's now fixed. Not having the massage function made me miss it quite a bit.
Appreciate 6
      06-24-2019, 04:12 PM   #21
MystroX5
Colonel
MystroX5's Avatar
2407
Rep
2,452
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, X5 50M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Central Pa.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschac View Post
Just following up my initial post. It took two visits to the dealer but they finally determined there was a loose connection, which caused the massage function in the driver's seat to conk out intermittently. It's now fixed. Not having the massage function made me miss it quite a bit.
Thanks for the update. This helps the forum for future search reference.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 04:21 PM   #22
gpitts
Captain
gpitts's Avatar
United_States
209
Rep
664
Posts

Drives: 2019 G05 X5 40i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschac View Post
Just following up my initial post. It took two visits to the dealer but they finally determined there was a loose connection, which caused the massage function in the driver's seat to conk out intermittently. It's now fixed. Not having the massage function made me miss it quite a bit.
Glad that this has a good ending.
__________________
2019 G05 X5 40i, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merino Leather Interior
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST