BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-05-2019, 11:56 AM   #23
Rmtt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
3615
Rep
1,896
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
What a beast
I'm not a "Brand Fan" and can appreciate anything that appeals to me.

One car I regret selling was a 2004 Terminator. I remember buying it one week, then doing an upper and lower pulley swap with tune for less than $1,200 the next week. Those cars were rated 390/390 I believe and that is what mine put down stock.

45 minutes later, I left the shop (Modular Madness) with something like 550/570. Over 500lbs of TQ at 2K rpm....those little Eatons were stout for what they were. The next thing was blower porting...then I said screw it and swapped on a Kenne Bell.
__________________
Everybody has a gameplan....until they get punched in the mouth.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2183.50

      12-05-2019, 01:20 PM   #24
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
N54Yankee's Avatar
United_States
2184
Rep
1,581
Posts

Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I'm not a "Brand Fan" and can appreciate anything that appeals to me.

One car I regret selling was a 2004 Terminator. I remember buying it one week, then doing an upper and lower pulley swap with tune for less than $1,200 the next week. Those cars were rated 390/390 I believe and that is what mine put down stock.

45 minutes later, I left the shop (Modular Madness) with something like 550/570. Over 500lbs of TQ at 2K rpm....those little Eatons were stout for what they were. The next thing was blower porting...then I said screw it and swapped on a Kenne Bell.
Me too, I appreciate many brands. I bought a new 88 Mustang GT and did the usual Edelbrock heads, cobra roller rockers, SVO headers, GT40 Intake, gears...... route and it ran very well. Never did get around to a SC for it though. Terminators were bad ass then, finally the newer ones followed the independent suspension of the T cars. Those engines were really something also.
I took a little break from perf work when had we had 2 kids and a new house. Have the Corvette now but still love hot Mustangs. Seriously Thinking about about adding a CJ 69 Mach 1 to my garage.
__________________
__________________
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. Samuel Adams

Last edited by N54Yankee; 12-06-2019 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
Rmtt3615.00

      12-06-2019, 06:34 AM   #25
Rmtt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
3615
Rep
1,896
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Me too, I appreciate many brands. I bought a new 88 Mustang GT and did the usual Edelbrock heads, cobra roller rockers, SVO headers, GT40 Intake, gears...... route and it ran very well. Never did get around to a SC for it though. Terminators were bad ass then, finally the newer ones followed the independent suspension of the T cars. Those engines were something something also.
I took a little break from perf work when had we had 2 kids and a new house. Have the Corvette now but still love hot Mustangs. Seriously Thinking about about adding a CJ 69 Mach 1 to my garage.

Nice......Out of every "Muscle car" I have ever owned, the Mustang has always had the best sound. I'm on my 5th+ Corvette, but still think the Mustang sounds better no matter what exhaust you ended up putting on it.
__________________
Everybody has a gameplan....until they get punched in the mouth.
Appreciate 2
N54Yankee2183.50
5.M0NSTER787.00

      12-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #26
Stage IV
NAMR6MT
United_States
2673
Rep
1,629
Posts

Drives: 2007 Cayman S
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chester County, PA

iTrader: (0)

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ation-testing/

A touch of reality...

Test conducted on concrete rather than a prepped track. Still, that 132 mph trap is supercar fast. I'd definitely take the GT500 over the ZL1 and Redeye.
__________________
987.1 CS|6MT|Basalt black|sport chrono|manual seats|SOUL exhaust|Softronic tune|Numeric SSK
Appreciate 1
clee1982646.00

      12-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #27
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
DieselDiner's Avatar
132
Rep
1,553
Posts

Drives: 335d
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Home

iTrader: (2)

The video in the OP is as much "reality" as your debbie downer link.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 03:20 AM   #28
positiveions
Lieutenant General
positiveions's Avatar
Lebanon
721
Rep
11,537
Posts

Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Upland, CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
I am considering one.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 10:18 AM   #29
FuriouslyFast
Stop. Hammer Time.
FuriouslyFast's Avatar
United_States
773
Rep
370
Posts

Drives: Miss Daisy
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
This car is CRAZY GOOD in every aspect!
Except it's not aggressive enough on the outside IMO
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 10:22 AM   #30
FuriouslyFast
Stop. Hammer Time.
FuriouslyFast's Avatar
United_States
773
Rep
370
Posts

Drives: Miss Daisy
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ation-testing/

A touch of reality...

Test conducted on concrete rather than a prepped track. Still, that 132 mph trap is supercar fast. I'd definitely take the GT500 over the ZL1 and Redeye.
You'd pay ADM for this car? If Ford wants to play ball on leasing like Dodge does w/the Hellcat, I'll look at the GT500 once my HC is gone.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 10:36 AM   #31
Stage IV
NAMR6MT
United_States
2673
Rep
1,629
Posts

Drives: 2007 Cayman S
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chester County, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
You'd pay ADM for this car?
Not one dime, and that goes for any car. Look at these jerkoffs:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-gt500-markup/
__________________
987.1 CS|6MT|Basalt black|sport chrono|manual seats|SOUL exhaust|Softronic tune|Numeric SSK
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2019, 10:59 AM   #32
cca101
Private
47
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (0)

No manual that sucks.
Why do these engines sound so nasty and not in a good way...so unrefined, just noise, like a Harley.
At least it's fast unlike the Harley 😂
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 04:07 PM   #33
5.M0NSTER
Captain
5.M0NSTER's Avatar
United_States
787
Rep
789
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT Drivers Pack
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Little north of Stuttgart, Germany

iTrader: (0)

"I've had it 3 days. It's totally broken in!"

Love it, well done Ford!
__________________
2017 BMW M2 German Spec
6MT, Driver's Package

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 11:31 AM   #34
FuriouslyFast
Stop. Hammer Time.
FuriouslyFast's Avatar
United_States
773
Rep
370
Posts

Drives: Miss Daisy
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE5460.50

      01-04-2020, 05:30 PM   #35
Mach550
Lieutenant
Mach550's Avatar
United_States
192
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: 2019 M550i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Tampa Bay

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
When the dude gave out a quiet "oh my gosh" I almost lost it. Can't believe he's allowed to run multiple 10's on the track without gear.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2020, 01:35 AM   #36
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
TXSTYLE's Avatar
United_States
5461
Rep
2,792
Posts

Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The GYM! (The Burbs - N TX)

iTrader: (0)

Exclamation

Absolutely..... WOW!!!!

What kind of Alien Magic did Ford do to make a 4,200lbs car so foking nimble?!?!
Only .02 of a second off of the mighty GT3RS.... For less than the price of a base Carrera!

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:18 AM   #37
See5
Real Goon
See5's Avatar
United_States
263
Rep
589
Posts

Drives: Nothing
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Absolutely..... WOW!!!!

What kind of Alien Magic did Ford do to make a 4,200lbs car so foking nimble?!?!
Only .02 of a second off of the mighty GT3RS.... For less than the price of a base Carrera!
There's no alien magic. Definitely an impressive car but this isn't anything new given the past performance of the Z/28, ZL1 1LE, and GT350R.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 02:03 PM   #38
5.M0NSTER
Captain
5.M0NSTER's Avatar
United_States
787
Rep
789
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT Drivers Pack
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Little north of Stuttgart, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Ha, love it! The Mustang was ahead too for most of the lap, and at 1:55 Randy screws up and has to get off throttle to regain control. If it wasn't for that it would have been faster. Look at the difference in the line at that corner. In the Mustang he is outside and goes over the curb upsetting the car. In the 911 he is on the inside hugging the curb.

But you can tell how much more time he spends on throttle in the Porsche, which means the chassis balance is much better.

The magic dust is suspension tuning and extra 200+ HP the Pony has. But the 911 is great because of it's weight distribution and it's own magic in chassis tuning.
__________________
2017 BMW M2 German Spec
6MT, Driver's Package

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 01-13-2020 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 03:42 PM   #39
Humdizzle
Major
983
Rep
1,033
Posts

Drives: 2010 ferrari 458
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

very impressive by Ford.

- half the price
- less depreciation than an RS
- you can drive it like a grand tourer
- demolishes the Porsche on any straight line run... in fact its on par with a GT2RS 1/4 mile time.
- still easy/cheap to maintain out of warranty.

* but I doubt anyone will cross shop these with Porsche. And the new Z06 is on the horizon.
__________________

2010 Ferrari 458
2015 SSII F80 6MT
2009 Honda Civic
Previous: E36 M3 | E46 M3 | R35 GTR | FR-S | F30 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 08:39 AM   #40
FuriouslyFast
Stop. Hammer Time.
FuriouslyFast's Avatar
United_States
773
Rep
370
Posts

Drives: Miss Daisy
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
very impressive by Ford.

- half the price
- less depreciation than an RS
- you can drive it like a grand tourer
- demolishes the Porsche on any straight line run... in fact its on par with a GT2RS 1/4 mile time.
- still easy/cheap to maintain out of warranty.

* but I doubt anyone will cross shop these with Porsche. And the new Z06 is on the horizon.
You mean more depreciation...it's a Mustang.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 12:24 PM   #41
Humdizzle
Major
983
Rep
1,033
Posts

Drives: 2010 ferrari 458
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
You mean more depreciation...it's a Mustang.
The depreciation % is about the same as the GT3RS. 2014 GT500s are going for like 40k on ebay, they were 55k new. 2016 GT3RS were routinely going for above 200k and nearly 250k at one point, and now you can get one for 170.

200k car with 20% depreciation vs 100k car with 30% depreciation.
__________________

2010 Ferrari 458
2015 SSII F80 6MT
2009 Honda Civic
Previous: E36 M3 | E46 M3 | R35 GTR | FR-S | F30 335i
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE5460.50

      01-17-2020, 02:37 PM   #42
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3485
Rep
8,444
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
You mean more depreciation...it's a Mustang.
The depreciation % is about the same as the GT3RS. 2014 GT500s are going for like 40k on ebay, they were 55k new. 2016 GT3RS were routinely going for above 200k and nearly 250k at one point, and now you can get one for 170.

200k car with 20% depreciation vs 100k car with 30% depreciation.
A little unfair as the retail price was $178k, and only clowns were paying a markup. It's also not like GT500's didn't have dealer markups too. The smaller quantity of the RS is going to work in its favor here.

Does the GT500 have potentially strong value retention? Yes. Was a jab on the GT3 RS well placed here? No, no it was not.
Appreciate 1
hellrotm3023.00

      01-17-2020, 04:16 PM   #43
Humdizzle
Major
983
Rep
1,033
Posts

Drives: 2010 ferrari 458
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
A little unfair as the retail price was $178k, and only clowns were paying a markup. It's also not like GT500's didn't have dealer markups too. The smaller quantity of the RS is going to work in its favor here.

Does the GT500 have potentially strong value retention? Yes. Was a jab on the GT3 RS well placed here? No, no it was not.
well for this scenario i'm assuming could get one new without markup. And yes if you spec the needed options the GT3RS was right around 200k. who would spec a gt3 without carbon ceramics? who would spec a gt500 without the 20k carbon kit ?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-track-review/ (price as tested $195000)

i still think overall the mustang would save you more after you sell it 3-5 years later. especially when you factor in going to the track, oil changes, insurance, property tax, sales tax, brake pads. Just saying its a cheaper way to get a similar lap time to a gt3rs and its a straight line monster.

But i agree i'd take the GT3RS all day over any mustang.
__________________

2010 Ferrari 458
2015 SSII F80 6MT
2009 Honda Civic
Previous: E36 M3 | E46 M3 | R35 GTR | FR-S | F30 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:13 PM   #44
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3485
Rep
8,444
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Most track folks don't prefer the ccbs. Two guys at our track purposefully skipped them. I think the cars and coffee set is a bigger fan.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST