BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-24-2019, 08:24 AM   #45
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I used to be a liberal when I was much younger (teens) then a republican, and now I don't trust anyone.

I think people who feel one party is better over the other really don't understand politics, or the inner workings of our government. Most (not all) of the career politicians couldn't give a rat's ass about the good of the common people, or anyone besides themselves (even members of the same party).

I've seen it first hand, where money that could've gone to things like education, building roads, funding programs for disabled people, etc, instead went to no-bid contracts for their friends for construction programs that will never be completed, or projects that will ensure the politician gets re-elected next term.

The real problem is most of the people of our nation are kept in the dark about the real issues, or are ignorant/don't want to know. Most will vote for a candidate for any office because "they seem nice" or "they sound intelligent" or because of everything the media has told them. Nobody has that want to think outside the box, and look at what is going on. Unfortunately with my job I'm forced to see it at the educational and municipal level.
Great post.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 08:28 AM   #46
floridaorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

The label "liberal and conservative" are both antiquated imo.

Fiscally conservative, socially liberal was my family during Jim Crow era for instance because they believed it was what God would want.

We pretty much grew up in church - and my Father is vey well educated in the ways of Jesus. He believes Jesus was more of a liberal than a conservative so for him that works with his world view. (Bring on the memes and bashing)

Personally after having 2 kids and having lived in California for 10 yrs. I'm a bit more conservative, socially and fiscally.

But I respect others views and believe both sides have merit and should be listened to.

At the end of the day - liberal in one state might be conservative in another - it just depends on how far left or right you are.

Also - I love my liberal friends and my conservative friends. The liberal ones tend not get married and have kids, so I don't relate to them as much as my conservative friends who have settled down and established themselves.

Having said that - I think most Americans feel like independents nowadays.
      12-24-2019, 09:58 AM   #47
Dave 90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
But you believe Anglo used to be a lib?

Nope. But he's not as belligerent about it as Dodger.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 10:00 AM   #48
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Quote:

Name an instance I've advocated anything liberal. Back up your BS.
      12-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #49
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

Quote:

Yikes.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #50
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Still looking For any instance of me being a liberal?

Or still suffering from the condition below?
Attached Images

12-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #51
anglo
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Still looking For any instance of me being a liberal?

Or still suffering from the condition below?
Did you vote for Hillary or Trump?
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille4010.00

12-24-2019, 05:21 PM   #52
Joe-T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F16 X6

I grew up an Irish-Catholic kid to blue collar, union workers in Boston. They voted for the party of Kennedy (who today would be considered a right wing wacko). They voted Democrat down the ticket, year after year, decade after decade.

I'm currently an independent, fiscally conservative (The government would have to work hard to spend money worse) socially liberal. I don't care who you love, who you do/don't pray to, how you identify... I do hate having it forced down our throats. I don't go around screaming that I'm a cis-gender, heterosexual white male and you MUST accept me as such.

I'm a big believer in the Constitution and small government. I'm trying to teach my daughters the same. Government doesn't have all the answers, especially when many of the problems were caused by them
Appreciate 3
anglo49690.50
vreihen161537.50
DocL220.00

12-25-2019, 12:25 AM   #53
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I used to be a liberal when I was much younger (teens) then a republican, and now I don't trust anyone.

I think people who feel one party is better over the other really don't understand politics, or the inner workings of our government. Most (not all) of the career politicians couldn't give a rat's ass about the good of the common people, or anyone besides themselves (even members of the same party).

I've seen it first hand, where money that could've gone to things like education, building roads, funding programs for disabled people, etc, instead went to no-bid contracts for their friends for construction programs that will never be completed, or projects that will ensure the politician gets re-elected next term.

The real problem is most of the people of our nation are kept in the dark about the real issues, or are ignorant/don't want to know. Most will vote for a candidate for any office because "they seem nice" or "they sound intelligent" or because of everything the media has told them. Nobody has that want to think outside the box, and look at what is going on. Unfortunately with my job I'm forced to see it at the educational and municipal level.
Very well put, and you have defined politicians worldwide to a tee.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 12:39 AM   #54
AlpineWhite_SJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Ironically, you used to be able to say fiscally conservative and socially liberal without implying you support everything under the sun, but now you have to clarify that you’re more live and let live and don’t mean You believe in 35 genders and safe spaces when it comes to socially liberal.
/// 2018 Alpine White on Black F80 M3 - 6MT ZCP ZEP / 3D Design billet handbrake lever, pedals, CF side skirts & rear diffuser / Sterckenn gloss black lip / IND alpine white front reflectors /// 2020 Donnington Grey on Black F97 X3MC ///
Appreciate 4
      12-25-2019, 08:45 AM   #55
pennsiveguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Today's liberalism demands rights without accepting any responsibilities. And today's progressive ideologues are far more interested in punishing the successful than they are in helping the needy.

I believe deeply in extending a hand to those less fortunate through no fault of their own. I give more than most people make. I believe charity and philanthropy should be local, focused, and accountable. Government as a "charity" is the very antithesis of these goals.
MKSixer20108.00
anglo49690.50
Salty Dog3509.00
3798j1177.50
Dave 90TT1887.00
Rmtt3753.00
arkie6357.00

12-25-2019, 09:09 AM   #56
Narcosis
The dude abides
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82

I swung the pendulum from conservative to liberal back to conservative and ended up centrist / libertarian. When I came to the realization that no party/candidate/person lines up with my values & beliefs, the game changed. The current state of politics causes me to shake my head and quietly mourn for our country.
Appreciate 5
      12-25-2019, 09:19 AM   #57
Joe-T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F16 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
I believe deeply in extending a hand to those less fortunate through no fault of their own. I give more than most people make. I believe charity and philanthropy should be local, focused, and accountable. Government as a "charity" is the very antithesis of these goals.

I couldn't have said this any better. Unfortunately, as the .gov takes more and more of our money, there's less to give locally to those in OUR community in need. We still donate to charities that we believe in, not only in money but in time
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #58
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Today's liberalism demands rights without accepting any responsibilities. And today's progressive ideologues are far more interested in punishing the successful than they are in helping the needy.

I feel similarly. It also seems like the focus is on simply throwing money at a problem which doesnít always solve it. For example, politicians mention paying for everyoneís college. Maybe the answer is vocational schools to get people into the workforce sooner and then complete a four year program funded by an employer. Or maybe colleges need to be evaluated more closely on how they charge for courses. It seems we charge everyone the same for every degree with exception of lab fees or whatever, maybe we need to re evaluate that.

Another example is reparations. We are a number of generations away from the original slaves and there has also been intermixing, so how do we determine who should pay and who should be paid? And also the government would be blamed no matter what formula they come up with as well as not showing annuitants how to protect their money. But somehow, politicians have a dollar number assigned and as usual itís probably not affordable, just lime paying for everyoneís healthcare or college isnít. And combine all of these things, there probably isnít enough money in the global economy, unless you just print money and then it isnít worth anything.

Give people a fishing rod, not the fish.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3509.00

12-25-2019, 06:04 PM   #59
adc100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I

Another example is reparations.
Yea..and consider the decendents of these slaves have it better than 99% of those that did not get sent here
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 08:04 PM   #60
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:

I haven't done this in quite a while but this is highly worthy:

You sir, win The Internet today. Congratulations!!

Nothing else needs to be added.
Nicely done.

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 4
vreihen161537.50
Salty Dog3509.00
Rmtt3753.00

12-26-2019, 01:31 AM   #61
pennsiveguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post

Nicely done.
Thanks for the kind words.

12-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #62
brad850csi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post

Nicely done.
I actually give him a higher score for the suggestion of a war in the Tesla thread that made me really laugh. Well done pensiveguy
Appreciate 2
MKSixer20108.00

12-26-2019, 01:52 PM   #63
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
I actually give him a higher score for the suggestion of a war in the Tesla thread that made me really laugh. Well done pensiveguy
Tesla isn't threatening to destroy the fabric of our country...Liberalism is. That's why it got the highest honor!

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 2
vreihen161537.50

12-26-2019, 02:56 PM   #64
Germanauto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Lexus

I'm a right-leaning moderate who tries to understand both perspectives on issues.

With that being said, since moving to Southern California I've moved further right. This is the most over-taxed, overpriced, and overrated place I've seen in my life. You pay out of your ass to these Democrats who don't know how to manage the state.

If you're not living up in the hills west of LA, southern Orange County, or San Diego you may as well GTFO. It's a dump full of people dependent on the government and their enablers.

12-26-2019, 03:11 PM   #65
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
If you're not living up in the hills west of LA, southern Orange County, or San Diego you may as well GTFO. It's a dump full of people dependent on the government and their enablers.
And all the other states are sending their homeless to move into those enclaves, as we speak.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 03:56 PM   #66
vreihen16
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
And all the other states are sending their homeless to move into those enclaves, as we speak.
...except for New York City. They came up with a secret program called Special One-Time Assistance (SOTA), where they pay a year's rent up front for a homeless family to rent a house in New Jersey. I'll let you figure out what happens after a year, when these families and their new host cities wake up and realize that NYC's former homeless are now residents of another state that gets stuck taking care of them.....