Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
To enjoy living in Cali is to be wealthy AND happy with your profession AND have time for hobbies and balance AND live near the coast AND have enough money to travel and take time off. Otherwise you're a rat in a humongous rat race.

I'm also not sure about raising kids there. But some of my best friends live there and I miss them a lot. 1 of them would move to FL - but their kids will attend college there so they won't move. And he was born and raised in hidden hills to wealthy family. If that means anything.
Raising kids here is great if you can afford private school. We enjoy the beach, mountains, snow, desert etc which are no more than 2 hours away in each direction. The beach is just a quick 10-15 min drive. The mountains are an hr or two away. Canyon runs are 20-30 min away. Downtown is 30-60 min away. Whether you like the outdoors or city life, LA has a little of both. Sure, NY has a better downtown, Hawaii has better beaches, Utah has better hiking, but LA has it all.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
To enjoy living in Cali is to be wealthy AND happy with your profession AND have time for hobbies and balance AND live near the coast AND have enough money to travel and take time off. Otherwise you're a rat in a humongous rat race.

I'm also not sure about raising kids there. But some of my best friends live there and I miss them a lot. 1 of them would move to FL - but their kids will attend college there so they won't move. And he was born and raised in hidden hills to wealthy family. If that means anything.
Raising kids here is great if you can afford private school. We enjoy the beach, mountains, snow, desert etc which are no more than 2 hours away in each direction. The beach is just a quick 10-15 min drive. The mountains are an hr or two away. Canyon runs are 20-30 min away. Downtown is 30-60 min away. Whether you like the outdoors or city life, LA has a little of both. Sure, NY has a better downtown, Hawaii has better beaches, Utah has better hiking, but LA has it all.
Nice! I do miss big bear and snow summit
      01-11-2020, 04:50 AM   #112
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Decency and common sense aren't always in alignment. Sometimes the right thing to do doesn't makes sense. It's just the right thing to do. It's when it's makes the least sense that our moral integrity is truest tested.
And, imo, the right thing to do would be to have an intervention in Sacramento pronto. It may not make sense to them but I see regal enjoyment by a minority of the population with rising strife, as each day passes, for the majority.
I want nothing but the best for each citizen of this country and I hope I am wrong about California being the Titanic of states.

Peace.
      01-11-2020, 06:16 AM   #113
Rmtt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
It's the same scenario here where I'm at on the SC/NC border. Beaches 3.5 hours away, snow about 1 hour in the other direction.....Blue Ridge Parkway and all kind of Mountain curves in my backyard including Tail of the Dragon.

Money goes a long way with real estate, we have Clemson, Furman, Wofford colleges close which are great schools. And we have BMW where I just did a track day right before Christmas.

Greenville nightlife is pretty decent and always makes most lists of fastest growing most desirable places to live. Then Asheville which is a pretty cool town to the North.

For the most part, people are pretty decent and there is still a feel of help your fellow man. We have the typical outliers like everyone else, but we ignore them. These are the Southern stereotypes you hear about....but most of that is waning or they tend to congregate away from the rest of us.

We also have a lot of NE transplants.... So we actually have a blend of different people and we all get along.

For the cost of living, you can't beat it. But I'm in my mid 40's, so someone younger may be looking for a bigger city feel. The bigger ones are still within a few hours like Atlanta and Charlotte.

I have travelled extensively early in my career, even offered a few jobs in L.A. But I couldn't justify the cost of living increase. Years ago every place I visted was great when I did do work in California for the time I was there (2-3 weeks each time). But I will admit the traffic shocked me coming from where I live.

Anytime the people took us out to entertain us like the Staples Center....it took forever to get anywhere once rush hour hit.
2000cs1344.00

01-16-2020, 02:18 PM   #114
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Newsom found $250M this year, and $750M next year to give to LA county cities, UNRESTRICTED, for homeless. The source of this funding is from our tax surplus that wasn't otherwise put into the "Rainy Day" fund. WELL THEN REDUCE MY TAXES IF YOU HAVE SO MUCH

On a related front, Democrats are pushing to pass an initiative to place a constitutional amendment on the ballot to outlaw homelessness, by requiring state, county, and local municipalities to fix it within 1 year, or else some sort of receivership will take over and get it done. No mention of HOW, or where funding comes from, but we are going to LEGISLATE homelessness away
Appreciate 3
vreihen161637.50
quick6270.50

01-21-2020, 04:28 PM   #115
vreihen16
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Proposition 65 is about to declare Acetaminophen as a substance known by the State of California to cause cancer.

Pass the Tylenol, I'm getting a headache.....
MKSixer20281.00
Poiseuille4016.50

01-26-2020, 10:56 PM   #116
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-27-2020, 12:21 AM   #117
AlpineWhite_SJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post

Does this mean I donít have to pay federal taxes anymore cause that shit is killin me son.
/// 2018 Alpine White on Black F80 M3 - 6MT ZCP ZEP / 3D Design billet handbrake lever, pedals, CF side skirts & rear diffuser / Sterckenn gloss black lip / IND alpine white front reflectors /// 2020 Donnington Grey on Black F97 X3MC ///
Appreciate 1
VMRWheels1783.50

01-27-2020, 08:09 AM   #118
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

I could see the corona virus start making the rounds in the S.F, L.A homeless population and turn into a real horror show, worse then the one they created there already.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.Ē Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
DieselOG1360.50

01-27-2020, 11:28 AM   #119
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
I could see the corona virus start making the rounds in the S.F, L.A homeless population and turn into a real horror show, worse then the one they created there already.
Lets hope not, since it seems to be transmitted thru the air now. Not that there will be a lot of migration via airplane, but buses can take you a long way. The walls in Rampart division didn't keep the rats/plague out of the LAPD.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 11:57 AM   #120
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Lets hope not, since it seems to be transmitted thru the air now. Not that there will be a lot of migration via airplane, but buses can take you a long way. The walls in Rampart division didn't keep the rats/plague out of the LAPD.
I hope not also. Itís airborne and heard from a Doc on the news this morning that the incubation on this thing is longer then they thought. People can be carrying the bug and not showing any symptoms at all go to airports get on a plane reach their destinations and still not show symptoms for days while spreading it far and wide. There is a lot of back and forth traffic from mainland China and Cal. S.F has the largest Chinatown in the country and if it gets there and spreads to homeless, look out. This is one of the worst case scenarios of course but Iím sure the CDC is worrying and planning about the possibility also.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.Ē Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 12:07 PM   #121
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
I hope not also. Itís airborne and heard from a Doc on the news this morning that the incubation on this thing is longer then they thought. People can be carrying the bug and not showing any symptoms at all go to airports get on a plane reach their destinations and still not show symptoms for days while spreading it far and wide. There is a lot of back and forth traffic from mainland China and Cal. S.F has the largest Chinatown in the country and if it gets there and spreads to homeless, look out. This is one of the worst case scenarios of course but Iím sure the CDC is worrying and planning about the possibility also.
So when do we start banning airplanes from China?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 01:38 PM   #122
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So when do we start banning airplanes from China?
Not soon enough
Appreciate 0