BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-15-2020, 06:02 AM   #23
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
You're too stupid to continue this conversation with. If you can't figure it out, I sure as hell won't try to explain it.

Goodbye.
It not my fault you can't explain how an item that the owner still possess can be stolen. If I take a picture of your car did I just commit grand theft auto?

If it privacy the entire web is a public space and if privacy is a possession then that means it holds value and Google and Facebook owes it users a ton of money.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 06:23 AM   #24
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Sounds to me like they are "sure" it's Fancy Bear because of the methods used plus some other non-specified info.

Are they right? Who knows? It's certainly plausible, and someone evidently hacked Burisma, so...
I am not just questioning this attack, I am questioning the general election one as well.

Specifically on this one, I feel like email phishing is a little rudimentary for a state sponsored hacking team.

But in general, hackers of this level wouldn't let you pinpoint their location unless they wanted you to find out who they were. It makes no sense to me that our FBI was so quick to figure out that all this hacking was done by Russia, but yet they are having trouble right now unlocking an IPhone.

I didn't beleive any real hacking was done by Russia from day one, and I still don't beleive it now. Whoever it is, really wants to make it seem like it's Russia though.
Appreciate 2
      01-15-2020, 06:42 AM   #25
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
I am not just questioning this attack, I am questioning the general election one as well.

Specifically on this one, I feel like email phishing is a little rudimentary for a state sponsored hacking team.

But in general, hackers of this level wouldn't let you pinpoint their location unless they wanted you to find out who they were. It makes no sense to me that our FBI was so quick to figure out that all this hacking was done by Russia, but yet they are having trouble right now unlocking an IPhone.

I didn't beleive any real hacking was done by Russia from day one, and I still don't beleive it now. Whoever it is, really wants to make it seem like it's Russia though.
I'm not an IT forensics expert, nor am I a "white hat" hacker or ever been a member of a red team. You?

I know our intelligence agencies, and many, many private IT security firms, have a lot more expertise and experience than I do in that arena.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 06:50 AM   #26
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Also our CIA has been expose pretending to be other foreign agency when conducting cyber attacks.
Appreciate 2
      01-15-2020, 06:51 AM   #27
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm not an IT forensics expert, nor am I a "white hat" hacker or ever been a member of a red team. You?

I know our intelligence agencies, and many, many private IT security firms, have a lot more expertise and experience than I do in that arena.
When something seems to good to be true, I question it. I have nowhere near the experience or intelligence of them, but our government agencies have had a lot of trouble pinpointing hackers on other more basic attacks, I am skeptical that they were so quick to figure out that the Russians are behind it all.
Appreciate 2
      01-15-2020, 06:58 AM   #28
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Blue smoke.

Dsad.
Good on you for leaning back to ponder.
      01-15-2020, 07:02 AM   #29
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:
When something seems to good to be true, I question it. I have nowhere near the experience or intelligence of them, but our government agencies have had a lot of trouble pinpointing hackers on other more basic attacks, I am skeptical that they were so quick to figure out that the Russians are behind it all.
Skeptical, certainly.

Skepticism doesn't require disbelief or rejection, however.

The truth is that no one on this forum knows what evidence our intelligence agencies have or how it was obtained.
Appreciate 1
dsad11018.50

01-15-2020, 07:51 AM   #30
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Skeptical, certainly.

Skepticism doesn't require disbelief or rejection, however.

The truth is that no one on this forum knows what evidence our intelligence agencies have or how it was obtained.
I agree, the words in my earlier post were extreme, I shouldn't just reject their findings, I just find them questionable.
Appreciate 2
      01-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #31
TheWatchGuy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:

This.

While i dont claim to be any kind of master internetter, I have dabbled and know plenty that are, and you'd have to be very lazy or very bad at it to have your source traced back to you, or you dont care and are doing it for notoriety and leave breadcrumbs to make their way back to you.

The fact that they were able to quickly trace it back to russian hackers, leads to either, they are and they want everyone to know they hacked it, or they arent and they want everyone to think the russians hacked it. Either way, it is a purely political thing.

Now lets wait for people to blame trump, when either of those scenarios dont help trump in the least.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:07 AM   #32
TheWatchGuy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
It not my fault you can't explain how an item that the owner still possess can be stolen. If I take a picture of your car did I just commit grand theft auto?

If it privacy the entire web is a public space and if privacy is a possession then that means it holds value and Google and Facebook owes it users a ton of money.
you can have good intentions and still commit a crime.

if i hacked into your computer and cloned your hardrive/emails/internet data/etc. would you be fine with it?

Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 09:07 AM   #33
SumBMWGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: A German Car

Quote:
Quote:
You're too stupid to continue this conversation with. If you can't figure it out, I sure as hell won't try to explain it.

Goodbye.

This guy is actually defending the act of hacking and stealing data. WOW!! The lengths the trump cult will go forgive his or his cronies actions.

Norman, if I were to get into your main hard drive and take tour tax and financial records for the past 10 years, you wouldn't consider it theft?
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 09:19 AM   #34
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post

if i hacked into your computer and cloned your hardrive/emails/internet data/etc. would you be fine with it?
Not to mention the mis-perception of "the entire internet is a public space".

Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 09:20 AM   #35
TheWatchGuy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumBMWGuy View Post
This guy is actually defending the act of hacking and stealing data. WOW!! The lengths the trump cult will go forgive his or his cronies actions.

Norman, if I were to get into your main hard drive and take tour tax and financial records for the past 10 years, you wouldn't consider it theft?
theres the trump blame i was waiting for. Took you long enough to be told its his fault.

Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 09:34 AM   #36
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:

This.

While i dont claim to be any kind of master internetter, I have dabbled and know plenty that are, and you'd have to be very lazy or very bad at it to have your source traced back to you, or you dont care and are doing it for notoriety and leave breadcrumbs to make their way back to you.

The fact that they were able to quickly trace it back to russian hackers, leads to either, they are and they want everyone to know they hacked it, or they arent and they want everyone to think the russians hacked it. Either way, it is a purely political thing.

Now lets wait for people to blame trump, when either of those scenarios dont help trump in the least.
They blame Trump!
(Clutches pearls)
      01-15-2020, 09:45 AM   #37
TheWatchGuy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
They blame Trump!
(Clutches pearls)
shoulda known you had no substance to add

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:51 AM   #38
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
shoulda known you had no substance to add
And saying "they'll blame Trump" adds substance? Norman is a known Trumpster.
      01-15-2020, 09:57 AM   #39
TheWatchGuy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
And saying "they'll blame Trump" adds substance? Norman is a known Trumpster.
its meant to get you thinking.

do you really think a group that everyone has tried to tie trump to, would openly hack a group that is in the spotlight due to trumps impeachment, and leave breadcrumbs that would lead back to them and trump?

I know you arent that dumb. Sumbmwguy already fell for it though

and i could give a rats ass if norman is a trumpster, a hillary lover, or wacks it to bernie in the closet, if the shit stinks, ill say as much.

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:59 AM   #40
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Yea nothing on my computer of value that google doesn't have access to already
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 10:00 AM   #41
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumBMWGuy View Post

Please provide proof showing trump involved.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #42
TheWatchGuy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yea nothing on my computer of value that google doesn't have access to already
sounds good, shoot me over the ip address so i dont have to do much work

Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 10:04 AM   #43
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
its meant to get you thinking.

do you really think a group that everyone has tried to tie trump to, would openly hack a group that is in the spotlight due to trumps impeachment, and leave breadcrumbs that would lead back to them and trump?

I know you arent that dumb. Sumbmwguy already fell for it though

and i could give a rats ass if norman is a trumpster, a hillary lover, or wacks it to bernie in the closet, if the shit stinks, ill say as much.
Please never say "whacks it to Bernie" again. I'll have to report that shit!
      01-15-2020, 10:07 AM   #44
TheWatchGuy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Please never say "whacks it to Bernie" again. I'll have to report that shit!
its 2020. you cant disagree with who he wacks it to.

Appreciate 2