BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-24-2020, 05:07 AM   #67
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Masterplan's Avatar
58
Rep
535
Posts

Drives: F87 M2
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
You do 10k a year, so assuming avg consumption of 40mpg for 10k @ £1.30 per litre, thats £1,477 in the diesel

For the petrol 23mpg @ £1.26 per litre, its £2,490.

So £1,013 difference per year, £84 per calendar month or £19 per week.

Now obviously your consumption could vary, but I think for a good mix of motorway, A roads and B roads I doubt you would be too far off these figures in either car.

I'm not telling you to get the 40i (even though thats what I would choose if it were me ), but if its what you prefer, I wouldn't let the running costs be the decider when you only do 10k.

Decent comparison video here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Agree with this, itís how I decided to go 40i. Basically look at the economic situation and how it works for you. For me those extra £ís on petrol per week are well worth it and given my time again it would be the same decision 100% but actually more so given I now have experience of a 40i on the road. So yes, ignore the technical and decide if you can carry the extra fuel bill.

Oh and just give a bit of a thought to urban clean air policy where you live and drive. Itís not that I agree with the new proposed diesel ban in Bristol because I think it shouldnít be a blanket ban, but the reality is I donít need to care as Iím in the petrol world and thatís a relief I have some pretty irritated friends who will be effected and are stuck with their cars for a while.
This kept me awake last night.

Realistically, the 30d (Euro 6 engine) is more than adequate and keeps my pennies in my pocket. However, the downside is the potential taxation of diesel engines in some shape or form, plus the inconvenience of potential travel restrictions in and out of nearby cities.

The 40i seems like the choice that's more like to bring the smile factor albeit at an additional cost (£1k over the diesel and then run costs). The conflicting element of that, is that I only really drive with our baby in the car. The M2 get's used for nearly all journeys where we travel without the kid. The MPG isn't a huge issue, I just don't know what to expect really (realistic mpg, miles per tank etc).

This is both exciting and equally frustrating
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:44 AM   #68
Ninefourteener
First Lieutenant
162
Rep
394
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 M50i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: American in Belgium

iTrader: (0)

I'm not a European.... but I live in Europe..... and it seems like every day I read about some new "restriction" on deisel vehicles.

It pisses me off honestly.

But still... no way would I drive a deisel nowadays
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 12:44 PM   #69
six
First Lieutenant
134
Rep
370
Posts

Drives: G05 X5 M-Sport 40i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
I'm not a European.... but I live in Europe..... and it seems like every day I read about some new "restriction" on deisel vehicles.

It pisses me off honestly.

But still... no way would I drive a deisel nowadays
Yeh, these diesel bans and restrictions are super annoying for people who run new clean diesel engine vehicles which are not a problem at all. It's just a bandwagon local governments are jumping on without fully understanding the true problem with diesel, which is mostly connected to older vehicles and equipment which ironically the local authorities use and will exempt from the bans
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 12:51 PM   #70
six
First Lieutenant
134
Rep
370
Posts

Drives: G05 X5 M-Sport 40i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post

The 40i seems like the choice that's more like to bring the smile factor albeit at an additional cost (£1k over the diesel and then run costs). The conflicting element of that, is that I only really drive with our baby in the car. The M2 get's used for nearly all journeys where we travel without the kid. The MPG isn't a huge issue, I just don't know what to expect really (realistic mpg, miles per tank etc).

This is both exciting and equally frustrating
I feel your pain! I think the lowest MPG you'll see is 24-25 MPG round town and that's if you put your foot down and don't use stop/start or EcoPro. My 40d would do 32MPG in the same conditions. I think 25MPG could easily be improved on if you were prepared to drive more economically than I do

If you can swallow the extra costs associated with the MPG then jump on the 40i. You won't regret it
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 01:29 PM   #71
Ninefourteener
First Lieutenant
162
Rep
394
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 M50i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: American in Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Yeh, these diesel bans and restrictions are super annoying for people who run new clean diesel engine vehicles which are not a problem at all. It's just a bandwagon local governments are jumping on without fully understanding the true problem with diesel, which is mostly connected to older vehicles and equipment which ironically the local authorities use and will exempt from the bans
Here's an example of one I read just today. Seems like I see more of them every single day:

https://www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/96770/the-diesel-engine-will-die/
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 01:53 PM   #72
mcsa
Captain
mcsa's Avatar
31
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: F15, G05 on order
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sarajevo

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Yeh, these diesel bans and restrictions are super annoying for people who run new clean diesel engine vehicles which are not a problem at all. It's just a bandwagon local governments are jumping on without fully understanding the true problem with diesel, which is mostly connected to older vehicles and equipment which ironically the local authorities use and will exempt from the bans
Here's an example of one I read just today. Seems like I see more of them every single day:

https://www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/96770/the-diesel-engine-will-die/
ICE will die, eventually
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:48 PM   #73
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Masterplan's Avatar
58
Rep
535
Posts

Drives: F87 M2
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post

The 40i seems like the choice that's more like to bring the smile factor albeit at an additional cost (£1k over the diesel and then run costs). The conflicting element of that, is that I only really drive with our baby in the car. The M2 get's used for nearly all journeys where we travel without the kid. The MPG isn't a huge issue, I just don't know what to expect really (realistic mpg, miles per tank etc).

This is both exciting and equally frustrating
I feel your pain! I think the lowest MPG you'll see is 24-25 MPG round town and that's if you put your foot down and don't use stop/start or EcoPro. My 40d would do 32MPG in the same conditions. I think 25MPG could easily be improved on if you were prepared to drive more economically than I do

If you can swallow the extra costs associated with the MPG then jump on the 40i. You won't regret it
Sorely tempted! I'll let you know what I decide on. Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 03:50 PM   #74
GBR1
Captain
256
Rep
647
Posts

Drives: G05 45e on order
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
Are you UK based?

I do probably 10k miles a year with a real mix of driving. Traffic, town and city, motorway...

I've always doubted petrol engines in cars this size just due to the effort the engine needs to exert to move it.

Is the 40i really that good?
Yes UK based and I'm with you on doubting petrol in a 2000kg vehicle! I held off for almost a year as I really wanted a 40d as I was super impressed with that engine in my F15. But in the end I had to change and the 30d just seemed a little low on the power side (although in real world situations the 30d seems close to the 40d) but more importantly I guess I thought it was time to see how petrol performs and I was keen to move to a smoother more refined power plant.

I do about 12K miles a year and I'm now about 5K on the clock and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I do a lot of urban driving but also lots of motorway and longer trips and while the fuel economy isn't as good as the 40d previously I'm more than happy to pay the premium, which is a little offset by lower £per litre of petrol over diesel.

Performance wise now it's run in I'm putting my foot down a fair bit and I'm really impressed, in sport plus and gearbox in sport it's so responsive I have to restrain myself
Hmmmm, is I'm really questioning my 30d choice.

What sort of real world mpg are you getting? What does a tank cost and what sort of miles you getting?

It's a bizarre one as I would have the hybrid 45e but the monthlies just don't allow for it. The miles I'll get from electric just won't offset the additional costs I reckon.

I'm worried that our government apply drastic measures on diesels, before finally applying these to petrols. That being said, it's hard to see 3 months out, never mind 4 years.
Sorry a little late to this party..

I am also UK based and ordered last month..

I think the 40d will be a great engine, as said on the other threads if it really is only £2500 more over the 30D then the 30d's days are numbered in the X5.

I went with 45e, this was the car I wanted but a like for like against the 30D was about £40 more a month, I will easily save that on fuel so it was a no brained to me.

As has been said, the new diesels are great and just as clean as most petrols, but diesel is now seen as the devil fuel and I don't think it will recover and more cities will follow in Bristols footsteps.


Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #75
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Masterplan's Avatar
58
Rep
535
Posts

Drives: F87 M2
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
Are you UK based?

I do probably 10k miles a year with a real mix of driving. Traffic, town and city, motorway...

I've always doubted petrol engines in cars this size just due to the effort the engine needs to exert to move it.

Is the 40i really that good?
Yes UK based and I'm with you on doubting petrol in a 2000kg vehicle! I held off for almost a year as I really wanted a 40d as I was super impressed with that engine in my F15. But in the end I had to change and the 30d just seemed a little low on the power side (although in real world situations the 30d seems close to the 40d) but more importantly I guess I thought it was time to see how petrol performs and I was keen to move to a smoother more refined power plant.

I do about 12K miles a year and I'm now about 5K on the clock and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I do a lot of urban driving but also lots of motorway and longer trips and while the fuel economy isn't as good as the 40d previously I'm more than happy to pay the premium, which is a little offset by lower £per litre of petrol over diesel.

Performance wise now it's run in I'm putting my foot down a fair bit and I'm really impressed, in sport plus and gearbox in sport it's so responsive I have to restrain myself
Hmmmm, is I'm really questioning my 30d choice.

What sort of real world mpg are you getting? What does a tank cost and what sort of miles you getting?

It's a bizarre one as I would have the hybrid 45e but the monthlies just don't allow for it. The miles I'll get from electric just won't offset the additional costs I reckon.

I'm worried that our government apply drastic measures on diesels, before finally applying these to petrols. That being said, it's hard to see 3 months out, never mind 4 years.
Sorry a little late to this party..

I am also UK based and ordered last month..

I think the 40d will be a great engine, as said on the other threads if it really is only £2500 more over the 30D then the 30d's days are numbered in the X5.

I went with 45e, this was the car I wanted but a like for like against the 30D was about £40 more a month, I will easily save that on fuel so it was a no brained to me.

As has been said, the new diesels are great and just as clean as most petrols, but diesel is now seen as the devil fuel and I don't think it will recover and more cities will follow in Bristols footsteps.


How are you finding it in the real world?

I briefly looked at this, but originally ruled it out as I didn't think I'd save the additional monthlies back in fuel. Maybe worth reconsidering then if you're saying it's that good.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 10:08 PM   #76
GBR1
Captain
256
Rep
647
Posts

Drives: G05 45e on order
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

I don't have it yet, but I was very impressed on my extended test drive. My commute is 20miles each way, 10 miles motorway and 10 A and B roads. The motorway is restricted to 50 due to road works but they are converting it to a smart motorway so will remain 50 during rush hour. I will be able to make my total commute on electric!

I am getting a charger installed at work, so if no external meetings I could just charge at work and effectively not pay any fuel, electricity from Mon to Fri..

The 45e had more go than the 30D which was the other car I drove, I haven't tried the 40i though, but many say if feels as fast and refined.

For me if I can do my 200 miles a week commute effectively FOC (by charging at work), then I am saving about £120 a month which easily covers the £40 difference I was quoted between the 30D and the 45e..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:30 AM   #77
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Masterplan's Avatar
58
Rep
535
Posts

Drives: F87 M2
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Looks like its been decided for me!

Apparently cant change Petrol to Diesel or vice versa. So looks like either the 30d or 40d if I can get a build slot for the 40d in next few weeks
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:15 AM   #78
GBR1
Captain
256
Rep
647
Posts

Drives: G05 45e on order
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
Looks like its been decided for me!

Apparently cant change Petrol to Diesel or vice versa. So looks like either the 30d or 40d if I can get a build slot for the 40d in next few weeks
Why not?

Is that what your dealer is saying, the 30d is a really good engine but I suspect the new 40d will be perfect in the X5, especially if it's only a small premium over the 30d....
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 01:25 AM   #79
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Masterplan's Avatar
58
Rep
535
Posts

Drives: F87 M2
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
Looks like its been decided for me!

Apparently cant change Petrol to Diesel or vice versa. So looks like either the 30d or 40d if I can get a build slot for the 40d in next few weeks
Why not?

Is that what your dealer is saying, the 30d is a really good engine but I suspect the new 40d will be perfect in the X5, especially if it's only a small premium over the 30d....
Yeah according to the dealer I can upgrade diesel to diesel, so 30d to 40d, but can't switch to petrol or downgrade engine size.

Problem now is they can't physically order a 40d as the system won't allow it yet. So there's a risk my build gets locked in on the current 30d build
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 03:03 AM   #80
Deda
Major General
Deda's Avatar
Croatia
384
Rep
6,922
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 comp
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Croatia

iTrader: (0)

Trust me..he is lying to you...he can not switch diesel to petrol..but he can put 40d instead 30d...
You need to push him or cancel the order...
It was the same situation 11 years ago when Bmw launched E71 X6...demand was crazy and Spartanburg didnt have enough engines...so they put 30d like crazy and 35d you needed to wait 9 months...
Very similar is now..common sense is telling you go for 40d,only 2.5k price difference,but that also knows Bmw and your dealer..so now they are pushing you to order 30d...dont get me wrong 30d is good,but 40f is much better.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 03:48 AM   #81
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Masterplan's Avatar
58
Rep
535
Posts

Drives: F87 M2
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
Trust me..he is lying to you...he can not switch diesel to petrol..but he can put 40d instead 30d...
You need to push him or cancel the order...
It was the same situation 11 years ago when Bmw launched E71 X6...demand was crazy and Spartanburg didnt have enough engines...so they put 30d like crazy and 35d you needed to wait 9 months...
Very similar is now..common sense is telling you go for 40d,only 2.5k price difference,but that also knows Bmw and your dealer..so now they are pushing you to order 30d...dont get me wrong 30d is good,but 40f is much better.
That's really interesting insight.

I am being told point blank that they cannot order yet despite the 40d now being on the UK configurator.

If they forecast the order to july, they can see it on the system but still cannot order.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 04:19 AM   #82
GBR1
Captain
256
Rep
647
Posts

Drives: G05 45e on order
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

When do you need the car by?

If it's a months wait I would cancel and re order, however only you can answer that question..

I am also guessing the dealer has a build spot for a 30d they need to use, I was told I had a week to make my mind up between the 30d and 45e!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 05:06 AM   #83
jimbg
Private
10
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: LR Discovery 5
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: DEVON

iTrader: (0)

GBR1, can I ask when you ordered and what delivery has been quoted?


I placed my order for my 45e at the end of January and they are talking about June.

It feels like a long wait!!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 06:18 AM   #84
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Masterplan's Avatar
58
Rep
535
Posts

Drives: F87 M2
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR1 View Post
When do you need the car by?

If it's a months wait I would cancel and re order, however only you can answer that question..

I am also guessing the dealer has a build spot for a 30d they need to use, I was told I had a week to make my mind up between the 30d and 45e!
August at the very latest.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 10:43 AM   #85
sjak92
Private First Class
sjak92's Avatar
United Kingdom
47
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: G05 30d M Sport MY2020
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
Trust me..he is lying to you...he can not switch diesel to petrol..but he can put 40d instead 30d...
You need to push him or cancel the order...
It was the same situation 11 years ago when Bmw launched E71 X6...demand was crazy and Spartanburg didnt have enough engines...so they put 30d like crazy and 35d you needed to wait 9 months...
Very similar is now..common sense is telling you go for 40d,only 2.5k price difference,but that also knows Bmw and your dealer..so now they are pushing you to order 30d...dont get me wrong 30d is good,but 40f is much better.
That's really interesting insight.

I am being told point blank that they cannot order yet despite the 40d now being on the UK configurator.

If they forecast the order to july, they can see it on the system but still cannot order.
40d is not on UK configurator, just checked
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 10:46 AM   #86
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Masterplan's Avatar
58
Rep
535
Posts

Drives: F87 M2
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
Trust me..he is lying to you...he can not switch diesel to petrol..but he can put 40d instead 30d...
You need to push him or cancel the order...
It was the same situation 11 years ago when Bmw launched E71 X6...demand was crazy and Spartanburg didnt have enough engines...so they put 30d like crazy and 35d you needed to wait 9 months...
Very similar is now..common sense is telling you go for 40d,only 2.5k price difference,but that also knows Bmw and your dealer..so now they are pushing you to order 30d...dont get me wrong 30d is good,but 40f is much better.
That's really interesting insight.

I am being told point blank that they cannot order yet despite the 40d now being on the UK configurator.

If they forecast the order to july, they can see it on the system but still cannot order.
40d is not on UK configurator, just checked
Obviously removed it then.

I configured one and matched my 30d spec to see the price difference. It was definitely there
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #87
Projax65
New Member
Projax65's Avatar
United Kingdom
2
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: Ford Kuga
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Essex

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
Obviously removed it then.

I configured one and matched my 30d spec to see the price difference. It was definitely there
I can confirm it (40d) appeared today very briefly. I clicked on change engine and it was there as an option. When I ticked it and hit enter, it went to an error message....
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 01:35 PM   #88
GBR1
Captain
256
Rep
647
Posts

Drives: G05 45e on order
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbg View Post
GBR1, can I ask when you ordered and what delivery has been quoted?


I placed my order for my 45e at the end of January and they are talking about June.

It feels like a long wait!!
I ordered in Jan, however I got a spec changeable car.

They are saying end of April for delivery however is still at 1100 status!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST