BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-17-2020, 07:56 AM   #1
bimmerboi69
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 40i 2019. BMW X5 35I 2015

Modifications that wont provoke the warranty of my bmw x5 40i

Hello fellow car guys. I am planning to mod my BMW x5 40i. I am planning to do a full exhaust system and some ECU tuning. I still want my official warranty so is there any way I can get some exhaust system or ECU tuning from any official tuner that won't affect the warranty??
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

In short..... no. Any modification to the ECU will void your warrantee, should anything happen.

And.... contrary to what people say.... even if you "remove the tune".... whether you have the tuner revert the car to stock..... or if you completely remove the piggyback ECU (racechip, jb4, etc).... they CAN find it.

While most dealerships will not look for it when you bring the car in for normal service..... if you bring the car in because you blew the engine..... they will look..... and they will find it.

Am I saying don't mod it? No. It's your car.

I'm taking mine to get dynotuned after I get to 10k miles and a couple of oil changes.

But.... if you choose to mod your car..... you take responsibility for it.

I actually got pretty pissed in another thread on here. A certain company was claiming a "guarantee" if your engine breaks.... until you read the fine print. The "exceptions" to this guarantee basically include "any sort of driving at all".

In other words..... the only way they are going to cover your engine.... is if you'd never driven the car.

Once again..... if you choose to mod..... it's your responsibility.
Appreciate 1
hkleyman135.00
      01-21-2020, 09:38 AM   #3
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

there are some options out there. piggy back unit is likely the safest option and removeable vs a flash which would absolutely be detected.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      01-21-2020, 10:27 AM   #4
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero05 View Post
there are some options out there. piggy back unit is likely the safest option and removeable vs a flash which would absolutely be detected.
I'm pretty sure even though it is removable, if you have a problem with the motor and they dig into it, they'll find the logs showing repeated requests for boost that exceeds factory parameters, so they'll know something was there.
Personally I've had tunes years ago but haven't on the last few cars. Like was said earlier, if I do I'm assuming my warranty is void and while unlikely, don't want that risk.

I read an article the other day on the X5 (not sure if it was a specific engine/model only) that said the transmission communicates with satellites and adjusts how it works/shifts based on knowing where you are/what street you're on etc. (REALLY??)
If they've this kind of capability, they can find a tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
Mjbmw1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchy View Post
I'm pretty sure even though it is removable, if you have a problem with the motor and they dig into it, they'll find the logs showing repeated requests for boost that exceeds factory parameters, so they'll know something was there.
Personally I've had tunes years ago but haven't on the last few cars. Like was said earlier, if I do I'm assuming my warranty is void and while unlikely, don't want that risk.

I read an article the other day on the X5 (not sure if it was a specific engine/model only) that said the transmission communicates with satellites and adjusts how it works/shifts based on knowing where you are/what street you're on etc. (REALLY??)
https://www.bmwblog.com/2011/04/11/b...ad-conditions/
Appreciate 1
scotchy210.00
      01-21-2020, 01:34 PM   #6
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjbmw1 View Post
Quote:

https://www.bmwblog.com/2011/04/11/bmw-innovation-days-adaptive-8-speed-transmission-that-predicts-curves-road-conditions/
Yeah I saw that one, I think I saw one about current models too. Amazing.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 08:05 PM   #7
CoolStory
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 i40

Quote:

You are correct. No matter if you use JB4, flash tune, or any other piggy back out there, it is detectable.

BMW DMEs for the last 8-10 years store FASTA data which will show every aspect of the car to anyone looking. This is true of a flash tune or a piggy back. The FASTA will not be inspected at dealership level, only if a PUMA case is opened in review of a considerable warranty claim.

Bottom line, if you're going to mod then you need to go in with the frame of mind that your warranty is pretty much out the window if you break something major.

Flash tuning is better since it manipulates everything at the firmware level giving you better and safer performance, and can be flashed back to stock in a few seconds with your own laptop. A piggy back requires you to unhook all the stuff under the hood and if you have anything going through the firewall can be a real pain in the ass. ALL will be detectable if you break something major, regardless of what folks on the forums will tell you. Only Dinan keeps the manufacturers warranty, but that will cost more than all the options out there and not give you as much of a performance boost. I also don't think any Dinan tunes are available yet for the G05. I asked my dealership and they never got back to me so I used Mission's flash tune. I've had the tune for a few weeks now and absolutely love it! I just hope they come out with the ZF 8HP5x EGS flashing tune soon for our vehicles.

Do a ton of research, forum searches, google searches, and find what's right for you. About 25% of my searches came up with some poster named 'Mike' who's a hardcore JB4 fanboy though, so take any posts you see from him with a grain of salt. He's a JB4 resale guy if that tells you anything.

Last edited by CoolStory; 01-25-2020 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0