BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-06-2020, 08:30 PM   #23
LexxM3
Major
LexxM3's Avatar
Canada
870
Rep
1,483
Posts

Drives: E46M3, G05X5
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Waterloo, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJJ View Post
My building has a separate parking garage attached, not underground so it has internet connection. Guess you can't do remote start without internet.
What's an "internet connection"? Wifi? The car needs cellular signal for remote start, no other "internet connection" is valid.
__________________
G05 X5 x40i (04/2019 mfg, Canada) on S18A-19-11-540
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 08:33 PM   #24
OzJedi
Private First Class
Australia
25
Rep
139
Posts

Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
What's an "internet connection"? Wifi? The car needs cellular signal for remote start, no other "internet connection" is valid.
That's exactly right, only cellular connection works.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 08:34 PM   #25
OzJedi
Private First Class
Australia
25
Rep
139
Posts

Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJJ View Post
My building has a separate parking garage attached, not underground so it has internet connection. Guess you can't do remote start without internet.
That's good, mine is basement parking so can't use remote functions.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 08:35 PM   #26
Marty in NY
Lieutenant Colonel
Marty in NY's Avatar
United_States
669
Rep
1,505
Posts

Drives: '11 X3 35i, '18 GTi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

I believe that's what he meant by internet connection.....you connect to the internet via a cellular connection.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 10:10 AM   #27
RJJJ
Private First Class
9
Rep
148
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW X6 M50i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
I believe that's what he meant by internet connection.....you connect to the internet via a cellular connection.
Right that's what I mean
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 11:28 AM   #28
VTENGR
Major
405
Rep
1,112
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 M50i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (1)

I could be wrong, but I think you can only remote start 2 times consecutively with out actually starting the car up normal.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #29
RJJJ
Private First Class
9
Rep
148
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW X6 M50i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I could be wrong, but I think you can only remote start 2 times consecutively with out actually starting the car up normal.
You're right. Ideally I like to leave the car their without doing anything. Can't imagine what will happen if the remote engine start doesn't shutdown automatically
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 03:07 PM   #30
MotoWPK
First Lieutenant
106
Rep
315
Posts

Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

With 5 weeks of inactivity coming up for my '19 40i I've been wondering about the same thing. Did not have an issue with the same time period on my F15, but I believe the G05 has a greater parasitic load when parked.

Emailed the dealership with whether they thought a trickle charger would be needed and the response was;

"From what we see, you will need to put the vehicle on a trickle charger or battery tender. Usually about the 3 week mark the car starts shutting off systems to preserve the battery."

The dealership certainly has experience with vehicles sitting around, not being driven, so I give their recommendation some weight. I expect they're being conservative, but am strongly considering procuring a trickle charger for this upcoming period of inactivity.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 08:32 PM   #31
RJJJ
Private First Class
9
Rep
148
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW X6 M50i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
With 5 weeks of inactivity coming up for my '19 40i I've been wondering about the same thing. Did not have an issue with the same time period on my F15, but I believe the G05 has a greater parasitic load when parked.

Emailed the dealership with whether they thought a trickle charger would be needed and the response was;

"From what we see, you will need to put the vehicle on a trickle charger or battery tender. Usually about the 3 week mark the car starts shutting off systems to preserve the battery."

The dealership certainly has experience with vehicles sitting around, not being driven, so I give their recommendation some weight. I expect they're being conservative, but am strongly considering procuring a trickle charger for this upcoming period of inactivity.
I live in an apartment building and there is no where to plug in in the garage. Will either leave the car for 1 month or do 1-2 remote start. I tried 3 times, when you remote start, every time the engine shutdown automatically after 15 min.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 10:38 AM   #32
Paladin1
Captain
Paladin1's Avatar
United_States
317
Rep
700
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i M Sport, Arctic Gr
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 X5 M Sport  [0.00]
I don't think you'll have a problem starting after a month cold, but I have noticed when I don't top off the charge every couple of weeks (garaged) that little gremlins start to show up in the tech features (no display in the center of the instrument cluster for example, or the Weather window in the Home screen going blank, or auto-lock not working). Rebooting has invariably corrected the glitches, but they don't seem to appear if the battery is kept full.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 11:27 AM   #33
Yakiniku
New Member
3
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: BMW X5
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Used to park a 10 year used car for 2+ months in -30 Celsius, no problem at all, I donít think itís a problem for a new x5
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #34
LexxM3
Major
LexxM3's Avatar
Canada
870
Rep
1,483
Posts

Drives: E46M3, G05X5
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Waterloo, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakiniku View Post
Used to park a 10 year used car for 2+ months in -30 Celsius, no problem at all, I don’t think it’s a problem for a new x5
While G05 X5 may or may not be fine parked for 1-2 months and that experience is still in discovery phase here, what is certain, however, is that one cannot compare old-tech cars and new-tech cars in parasitic battery drain and G05 X5 is by far the most new-tech BMW.
__________________
G05 X5 x40i (04/2019 mfg, Canada) on S18A-19-11-540
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST