BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-07-2020, 05:44 PM   #1
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Arrow Surround sound system recommendations?

My surround sound receiver seems to have taken a dump so now I am looking for a surround sound system. It's an Onkyo 7.1. New one doesn't have to be 7.1 if it's just as good. (This one is 10+ years old). Not looking to spend gobs of $. Any recommendations?

Last edited by FuriouslyFast; 02-07-2020 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 05:52 PM   #2
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

https://www.amazon.com/Speakers-Subw...D6S4JE71X2C3G7
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 07:31 PM   #3
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Ours shit the bed a few weeks ago. I just picked up a JBL Deep Base Sound bar with a wireless sub.

Sound bar under the tv, sub at the back of the room.

Just something quick and cheap (<$400) to get the job done as we will be upgrading everything pretty soon.

Actually sounds pretty good.
      02-07-2020, 07:32 PM   #4
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Get last year's Denon for cheap. Pick a model that fits your needs.
      02-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #5
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
Get last year's Denon for cheap. Pick a model that fits your needs.
Which model is that? I want one that I can still hook my iPod classic up to to play through it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 03:46 PM   #6
bigrum
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

Vizio makes some pretty good sounding setups, I have two and considering a third for the garage.

https://www.costco.com/vizio-sb36512...100459820.html

The one thing I hate though is I cannot control the volume individually per speaker.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #7
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I got my Denon repaired when it died. It took less time and money than figuring out what to replace it with.
      02-10-2020, 04:21 PM   #8
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Buy once, cry once: Anthem
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 04:43 PM   #9
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I guess it depends on what kind of setup and budget you are looking for. I have a basic Vizio soundbar with wireless sub in RV and works great for that environment. At home I have an Onkyo receiver with some Polk floor speakers I bought a few years ago. When I upgraded TV recently I added a matching Polk center speaker. Since my living room/family room is open to the kitchen in the rear I can't easily have rear speakers (I don't feel like running shit through the ceiling) but I find the setup with just fronts works fine for me.

I compared to some soundbars and unless it was the $1k range bars I preferred my setup which I already had, only cost me like $100 for the center speaker.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 06:20 PM   #10
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Some of more affordable receivers are about $250 from Best Buys which are a lot better than something similar in price 10 years ago. It depends on your budget. If you're willing to go separates then it would be a bit more expensive but will gain in sound quality.

Are you looking to purchase speakers as well or only the receivers? I mean a proper surround sound system would probably need two fronts, one center, and two rears. If your front speakers are large enough, you probably won't need a sub.

Last edited by WestRace; 02-10-2020 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 10:44 PM   #11
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

you can try accessories4less.com

having my Nakamichi sound bar with 2 8" wireless subs sound amazing for the last couple of months! even the wife approves over having the 2 big towers next to the TV
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 10:47 PM   #12
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I have a 20 yo system and it still works great. Good thing is if I upgrade I just have to swap out the receiver but can keep the speakers and cable. I would look for the latest HDMI 8k support and Bluetooth audio. Dolby Atmos support. Maybe look at a budget of $400?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 10:49 PM   #13
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I have a 20 yo system and it still works great. Good thing is if I upgrade I just have to swap out the receiver but can keep the speakers and cable. I would look for the latest HDMI 8k support and Bluetooth audio. Dolby Atmos support. Maybe look at a budget of $400?
I dunno especially if you're looking with Dolby Atmos. I would say budget of at least $600+
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 10:51 PM   #14
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Quote:
I dunno especially if you're looking with Dolby Atmos. I would say budget of at least $600+
Maybe refurb or open box item then.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:01 AM   #15
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
Some of more affordable receivers are about $250 from Best Buys which are a lot better than something similar in price 10 years ago. It depends on your budget. If you're willing to go separates then it would be a bit more expensive but will gain in sound quality.

Are you looking to purchase speakers as well or only the receivers? I mean a proper surround sound system would probably need two fronts, one center, and two rears. If your front speakers are large enough, you probably won't need a sub.
It really depends on what you classify as better. Yes, modern receivers have a lot of bells and whistles packed into them. But as far as sound quality, that depends. Older receivers didn't have to deal with sharing space with all the new fangled features. So there wasn't the need to rob Peter to pay Paul with the design of the amplification stages and power supply.

As far as not needing a sub, unless you really have large speakers, most everyone needs to have a sub. Since I'm thoroughly familiar with B&W speakers, a 802D3 is what I would consider a fairly large speaker. And even with the 802, I would still recommend the use of a sub. I used to be anti sub because all I was exposed to was crap sounding subs which only played loud and had boomy distorted bass. It wasn't until I heard properly designed subs that my mindset changed. Now I run subs with all my serious systems. My main system has 2 subs; a 15" and a 18". My 2 channel system has a single 12" sub.

Dropping the use of a sub in a surround system is also a mistake as there is a discrete LFE channel with all multichannel audio mixes.

Not only is having a sub an advantage for low bass reproduction as subs are designed with this in mind, subs help with the overall sound quality of the rest the audio system. Setting the other channels to small will alleviate the amplifier driving those speakers from having to reproduce deep bass which is the hardest load on any amplifier. Having a sub is essentially bi-amping your system. With the economization of consumer audio for the masses, I wouldn't bet a $250 receiver has the necessary amplification and power supply to be driven hard. Having a sub provides better flexibility in placing the sub in the optimal position based on your room characteristics to get the best performance/sound. Where one places a standard speaker is not necessarily the best placement for bass reproduction. Many times this is the rule and not the exception.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:15 AM   #16
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I heard a Dolby Atmos system at a friend's place who happens to be an owner of a audio company. Even with who this person is and the assumption there was great care in speaker selection, placement, and calibration, I wasn't impressed. The theaters I have gone to with Dolby Atmos setups were just too loud and distorted for me to even notice any of the Atmos audio enhancements. I just don't understand why many people (including many audio professionals) have this thing that louder is better. It's not.

Maybe I'll change my mind with a proper system set up for Dolby Atmos. Until I hear such a system, my feelings of Atmos is meh.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:27 AM   #17
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I heard a Dolby Atmos system at a friend's place who happens to be an owner of a audio company. Even with who this person is and the assumption there was great care in speaker selection, placement, and calibration, I wasn't impressed. The theaters I have gone to with Dolby Atmos setups were just too loud and distorted for me to even notice any of the Atmos audio enhancements. I just don't understand why many people (including many audio professionals) have this thing that louder is better. It's not.

Maybe I'll change my mind with a proper system set up for Dolby Atmos. Until I hear such a system, my feelings of Atmos is meh.
That's why I like my Dolby digital 5.1 system from 2000. Sounds better than the theatre. Last movie I saw was 1917 and it didn't sound better than when I watch Netflix movies. Even the picture quality wasn't that special and I have a 1080p TV.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      02-11-2020, 12:34 AM   #18
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Back on topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
My surround sound receiver seems to have taken a dump so now I am looking for a surround sound system. It's an Onkyo 7.1. New one doesn't have to be 7.1 if it's just as good. (This one is 10+ years old). Not looking to spend gobs of $. Any recommendations?
If you don’t want to spend a fortune....and aren’t bothered by the latest 4k / Atmos type stuff....
My experience with the Denon 3313 has been very good. 7.1 and iPod capability (plus lots of other stuff. I particularly like the Audessy EQ via microphone)

Available second hand over here quite easily at very low prices now (yes it’s a seven year old model). YMMV.

Last edited by Techno 9000; 02-11-2020 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 07:44 AM   #19
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post

Those $250 units don't have the inputs I need. Ended up getting mine working again, though.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 07:57 AM   #20
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That's why I like my Dolby digital 5.1 system from 2000. Sounds better than the theatre. Last movie I saw was 1917 and it didn't sound better than when I watch Netflix movies. Even the picture quality wasn't that special and I have a 1080p TV.
Same here. I'm running a pseudo 5.2 system that's remained pretty much the same for almost 2 decades. Don't have any intention of making any major changes.
Appreciate 1
bimmer4562938.00
      02-11-2020, 07:58 AM   #21
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Those $250 units don't have the inputs I need. Ended up getting mine working again, though.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 11:39 AM   #22
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

ok being serious the LG SK9Y or 10Y is pretty sweet... OR

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Sound-Ba...language=en_US

Dolby ATMOS totally worth it
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0