BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-24-2020, 11:31 AM   #23
mcsa
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d 2020

Garage List
On topic of how easy is to sell used PHEV:

Used hybrids, including X5 40e, appear from time to time in classified ads, here in Eastern Europe. They are half the price of comparable diesel or petrol X5. Impossible to sell.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #24
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
My point is long term value...in 4-5 years X5 M50d or M50i will get 50 percent of original value...on the other hand 45e will only go to garbage with 100 percent loss...i wonder who will buy used hybrid car with used batteries and new tech that will come in next 5 years..on the other hand market for used M performance vehicle will always exist at least in Eastern Europe...
I would like to add that the M50i will have the same outdated technology for what self driving, infotainment and gadgets are concerned. Even more so, cause it is not even a hyrbid. If emission free zones start to appear, this effect will even be bigger.

We are also starting to see that batteries do not degrade as much over time as your typical iPhone battery does. If you read certain test they see that degradation after 5 years is fairly small and that will mean hyrbid cars with decent ranges will stay fairly valuable.

On the other hand, if taxation shifts again prices in certain regions may be impacted. But this might be the case for the M50i as well.

All in all, I think it is hard to make a case against buying a hybrid now, fair enough, hybrid technology will further improve, but the crusade against polution and CO2 will too, and maybe even more so.

I myself in the meantime, am very happy with my hybrid!
Appreciate 1
perikifi165.50
      02-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #25
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsa View Post
On topic of how easy is to sell used PHEV:

Used hybrids, including X5 40e, appear from time to time in classified ads, here in Eastern Europe. They are half the price of comparable diesel or petrol X5. Impossible to sell.
Before the regulations shifted, the exact oposite was the case here. So lets hope taxation stays similar for a few years
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #26
mcsa
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d 2020

Garage List
It is amazing how much our decision to buy one car over another, one engine over another, is influenced by taxes.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:36 AM   #27
jimbg
Private
Rep
Drives: LR Discovery 5

Absolutely, Eastern Europe is obviously behind the curve on the move away from ICE cars, especially diesels.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #28
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Those cars are being offered for 50 k but that doesn't mean they are sold for that price. most are still not sold after a really long time. In Belgium they are really difficult to sell.
Agreed that it's the asking price, but definitely not "garbage, 100% loss"
I will be glad if I can sell it for anything at or above 30% of the buying price in 5 years time, and that seems pretty reasonable to me.
I don't think any X5 diesel/petrol will depreciate less than the 45e will in the next 5 years (again, given the current situation in BE at least).
Indeed 100% loss seems unreasonable.
Appreciate 0