BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-19-2020, 04:24 PM   #23
Marty in NY
Major
Marty in NY's Avatar
United_States
661
Rep
1,481
Posts

Drives: '11 X3 35i, '18 GTi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
It's different glass too with hundreds of etched dots to reflect the light. It's not truly individual LEDs or fiber optic light points as rolls royce does.
Ok, but my underlying question was...is it a different installation than a normal sunroof? Like, a diff size, diff mounting gaskets/seals, is the roof cut differently, etc. My reason for asking is that if ikke123 is correct and there are water ingress issues and its the same basic physical sunroof everyone gets, then the chance of a widespread water issue is at large. However, I have not yet heard about any sunroof related water issues so either what he heard is not true/not mainstream or it is a diff size/installation altogether. I've had sunroofs in all my BMW, never once had a leak...fingers crossed :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 04:29 PM   #24
hkleyman
Private First Class
hkleyman's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
155
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Saint Paul, MN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
It's different glass too with hundreds of etched dots to reflect the light. It's not truly individual LEDs or fiber optic light points as rolls royce does.
Ok, but my underlying question was...is it a different installation than a normal sunroof? Like, a diff size, diff mounting gaskets/seals, is the roof cut differently, etc. My reason for asking is that if ikke123 is correct and there are water ingress issues and its the same basic physical sunroof everyone gets, then the chance of a widespread water issue is at large. However, I have not yet heard about any sunroof related water issues so either what he heard is not true/not mainstream or it is a diff size/installation altogether. I've had sunroofs in all my BMW, never once had a leak...fingers crossed :-)
It's not a different size but holes are added to the frame for the wiring and the panel is put through more due to the etching which could maybe contribute. I'm not sure but I have heard of plenty of people with water ingress / clicking noises coming from it regardless of lighting
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #25
BMWDude2018
Private First Class
BMWDude2018's Avatar
95
Rep
177
Posts

Drives: 2014 X5 5.0i
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 X5 M50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2014 BMW X5 5.0ix  [0.00]
I opted to not get it on my car. My wife has it on her X7 and it's neat, but not something that I would pay extra for.

As far as pricing:
Premium Pkg $1250. Exec Pkg $4550. Difference of $3300.

Add:
Park Assist $700
Shades $250
Icon headlights $1000
TOTAL: $1950

Missing:
Heat/cool cup
Soft close doors
Sky lounge
Drive recorder

I opted to save $1350 because the cup holders are not that functional or useful for my situation, drive recorder is buggy, and I didn't really care about the sky lounge. I do wish that I could have gotten the soft close doors, but didn't want to pay $1350 for them. I had some issues with them in the past on my previous X5 (they could come unlocked and open the door slightly while driving), but I miss them anyway. If they were a $400 option, I would have bought them.
Appreciate 1
bluzbra112.00

      02-19-2020, 05:24 PM   #26
Marty in NY
Major
Marty in NY's Avatar
United_States
661
Rep
1,481
Posts

Drives: '11 X3 35i, '18 GTi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

I think Sky Lounge is pretty dang cool....however, I'm the one paying for the car and I'm the one driving and I'm not talented enough to drive while looking at the Sky Lounge and I don't care about the 5% of the time I have someone in the back seats. Its a cool feature but just doesn't cut the mustard for me when it comes down to it. I don't want soft close doors either and from all the discussion and testing this forum has been kind enough to do with the heated/cooled cupholders, I can forego those as well. I did want the Drive Recorder though but can add my own aftermarket. I'd stick with the Premium Pkg and pick the other options off the menu.
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2020, 05:32 PM   #27
ifr
Second Lieutenant
140
Rep
282
Posts

Drives: BMW X5
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Euro

iTrader: (0)

I'm not a fan:
- it spoils the view during the day
- it no longer allows the roof to fully open like it did in the F15 - that was awesome on a hot summers day with the windows down. Almost like a convertible. Now we have a few inches to play with (that's what she said)
- I had to pay more for the privilege

It looks OK on a night I guess but as the driver I never notice it. The novelty wears off with guests and the kids too.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 05:41 PM   #28
thereef510
Lieutenant
United_States
127
Rep
422
Posts

Drives: '16 F15; '20 G05
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
I'm not a fan:
- it spoils the view during the day
- it no longer allows the roof to fully open like it did in the F15 - that was awesome on a hot summers day with the windows down. Almost like a convertible. Now we have a few inches to play with (that's what she said)
- I had to pay more for the privilege

It looks OK on a night I guess but as the driver I never notice it. The novelty wears off with guests and the kids too.
-although i'm the one always driving, i dont think it 'spoils' anything during the day. it lets in plenty of light and you cant even really see the etchings during the day.
-i've never once opened the sunroof on my f15 or this one, so i cant comment. I'm not big on opening the windows (im a neat freak and hate dust, i have towels, paper napkins, and microfiber rags in the car and i wipe it at long stoplights constantly), I always just have the A/C on, so maybe this can be an issue if you open the sunroof, but as I said, its a purely luxury item. It honestly reminds me of the 787 roof with its ambient lighting at the top of the fuselage. idk, we spent a 30k premium to get a x5 when we could have gotten a loaded explorer, because its more 'refined'. extravagance doesn't come cheap
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2020, 05:46 PM   #29
Marty in NY
Major
Marty in NY's Avatar
United_States
661
Rep
1,481
Posts

Drives: '11 X3 35i, '18 GTi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
-although i'm the one always driving, i dont think it 'spoils' anything during the day. it lets in plenty of light and you cant even really see the etchings during the day.
-i've never once opened the sunroof on my f15 or this one, so i cant comment. I'm not big on opening the windows (im a neat freak and hate dust, i have towels, paper napkins, and microfiber rags in the car and i wipe it at long stoplights constantly), I always just have the A/C on, so maybe this can be an issue if you open the sunroof, but as I said, its a purely luxury item. It honestly reminds me of the 787 roof with its ambient lighting at the top of the fuselage. idk, we spent a 30k premium to get a x5 when we could have gotten a loaded explorer, because its more 'refined'. extravagance doesn't come cheap
Ha ha ha that's funny to read about your microfiber rags and such, I do the same thing and carry them in my cars too and heaven help the person who dares touch the display screen...they will voluntarily never ride in my car again
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 06:03 PM   #30
thereef510
Lieutenant
United_States
127
Rep
422
Posts

Drives: '16 F15; '20 G05
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Ha ha ha that's funny to read about your microfiber rags and such, I do the same thing and carry them in my cars too and heaven help the person who dares touch the display screen...they will voluntarily never ride in my car again
I keep a huge white towel on the drivers side for the days when its drizzling or raining and I have no choice but to get to the drivers seat quickly and then I do a very thorough wipe down of all the surfaces that are wet with it. those days are the worst.

I HATED HATED HATED whenever someone would get into my F15 and touch the screen thinking it was a touch screen. Even now, I'm trying to figure out how to control everything with just the idrive controller without having to reach for the screen. the inside of our F15 although 4 years old still looks brand new and I like when people say that, almost shocked that its not a new car. There's no eating allowed in our cars lol.

It's so annoying that I cant easily switch between idrive and carplay without touching the screen, but I have my handy cloth right in the armrest to give a quick wipe most days after a drive. If anything, having nice stuff makes me even more of an anal neat freak
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 06:40 PM   #31
Timmer-Bimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
27
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: BMW X5
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
My salesman at the dealer told me that the SkyLounge was not worth getting, because it only mattered to the people sitting in the back (not the driver). I think he was trying to shoehorn me into something on the lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 06:53 PM   #32
bluzbra
First Lieutenant
bluzbra's Avatar
United_States
112
Rep
321
Posts

Drives: 20 X5 40i/19 440i GC
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
I'm not a fan:
- it spoils the view during the day
- it no longer allows the roof to fully open like it did in the F15 - that was awesome on a hot summers day with the windows down. Almost like a convertible. Now we have a few inches to play with (that's what she said)
- I had to pay more for the privilege

It looks OK on a night I guess but as the driver I never notice it. The novelty wears off with guests and the kids too.
I don't think the sunroof not opening all the way is unique to sky lounge. That's just the way all of the G05 sunroofs are designed (dual pane versus single with the F15), which doesn't let them open up as much (though it's still a pretty nice opening for an SUV).
__________________
Current BMWs - '20 X5 sDrive40i xLine Alpine White/Coffee Extended Merino, '19 440i GC M-Sport Alpine White/Ivory White Dakota
Past BMWs - '18 X5 sDrive35i, '17 X3 sDrive28i, '15 335i xDrive Sport Line, '14 428i Coupe
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 07:06 PM   #33
thereef510
Lieutenant
United_States
127
Rep
422
Posts

Drives: '16 F15; '20 G05
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzbra View Post
I don't think the sunroof not opening all the way is unique to sky lounge. That's just the way all of the G05 sunroofs are designed (dual pane versus single with the F15), which doesn't let them open up as much (though it's still a pretty nice opening for an SUV).
they probably figured most people don't open their sunroof anyway and just want the giant glass opening in the roof.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 07:59 PM   #34
Marty in NY
Major
Marty in NY's Avatar
United_States
661
Rep
1,481
Posts

Drives: '11 X3 35i, '18 GTi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer-Bimmer View Post
My salesman at the dealer told me that the SkyLounge was not worth getting, because it only mattered to the people sitting in the back (not the driver). I think he was trying to shoehorn me into something on the lot.
That's a typical salesman trick - you have to know what you want and make your own decision that suits you. Never let someone else drive your decisions! We all know dealers try to unload their lots as a priority.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 08:09 PM   #35
Marty in NY
Major
Marty in NY's Avatar
United_States
661
Rep
1,481
Posts

Drives: '11 X3 35i, '18 GTi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
I keep a huge white towel on the drivers side for the days when its drizzling or raining and I have no choice but to get to the drivers seat quickly and then I do a very thorough wipe down of all the surfaces that are wet with it. those days are the worst.

I HATED HATED HATED whenever someone would get into my F15 and touch the screen thinking it was a touch screen. Even now, I'm trying to figure out how to control everything with just the idrive controller without having to reach for the screen. the inside of our F15 although 4 years old still looks brand new and I like when people say that, almost shocked that its not a new car. There's no eating allowed in our cars lol.

It's so annoying that I cant easily switch between idrive and carplay without touching the screen, but I have my handy cloth right in the armrest to give a quick wipe most days after a drive. If anything, having nice stuff makes me even more of an anal neat freak
I also keep a towel in the drivers door storage area for the same reason. We're sick! Ok, so even though you and I seem to be a lot alike, I have over the years learned that everything I buy is material and will outlast me and can be replaced. I still am the way I am and like a clean car. Why not try taking a touch screen (iPad) stylus and see if it works on the touch screen? It may still leave a mark if you don't keep it really clean but if you do, it will prevent the greasy finger marks when you have to touch the screen. It seems to work with on our iPad. You can tell your passengers to use it if they feel compelled to also touch the screen or better yet, install a mesh screen between the passenger seat and the dash to keep them away from it. like a taxi in China
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2020, 08:25 PM   #36
thereef510
Lieutenant
United_States
127
Rep
422
Posts

Drives: '16 F15; '20 G05
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

i feel like a stylus would be way more cumbersom to have to find, pick up, and use, and i'm sure those idiots would eventually lose the thing, or it'll lose its charge. I doubt my friends wouldnt just start laughing hysterically if i asked them to even use a stylus and intentionalyl smudge my screen just because. The fingerprints on the screen isn't even all that bad, what's worse is the stupid all piano black gear shift panel. I'm constantly touching those buttons and changing driving modes or pressing on the idrive controller. I wish they would have picked a different material. I personally hate piano black, its in every car: cheap or luxury. all it does is shine a huge ugly light on smudges.

What I like about this car, especially with our interior package and just how badass this car looks in general, everyone who's gotten in, so far, has been reluctant to touch anything. and that's just how I like it. so here's hoping that sentiment sticks around for the remainder of the lease lol
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2020, 08:39 PM   #37
Marty in NY
Major
Marty in NY's Avatar
United_States
661
Rep
1,481
Posts

Drives: '11 X3 35i, '18 GTi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
i feel like a stylus would be way more cumbersom to have to find, pick up, and use, and i'm sure those idiots would eventually lose the thing, or it'll lose its charge. I doubt my friends wouldnt just start laughing hysterically if i asked them to even use a stylus and intentionalyl smudge my screen just because. The fingerprints on the screen isn't even all that bad, what's worse is the stupid all piano black gear shift panel. I'm constantly touching those buttons and changing driving modes or pressing on the idrive controller. I wish they would have picked a different material. I personally hate piano black, its in every car: cheap or luxury. all it does is shine a huge ugly light on smudges.

What I like about this car, especially with our interior package and just how badass this car looks in general, everyone who's gotten in, so far, has been reluctant to touch anything. and that's just how I like it. so here's hoping that sentiment sticks around for the remainder of the lease lol
You could put 20 stylus's in the cupholder area along with this sign.. ..

.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2020, 08:49 PM   #38
magna6882
First Lieutenant
127
Rep
344
Posts

Drives: 2017 audi q7
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: seattle

iTrader: (0)

The one thing i noticed is the roof opening is sitting more rearward of other cars i have owned. I can not see it easily from the driver position so while the sunlight is nice for lighting up the car but i think only passengers would be able to the sky lounge lighting.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 11:51 PM   #39
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
144
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: X5 G05 45e
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

i passed on sunroof/skyroof because I read about issues that some persons were having, donít miss it, happy with my build
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 11:51 PM   #40
mcsa
Captain
mcsa's Avatar
31
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: F15, G05 on order
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sarajevo

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Ah, driving with sunroof open. Love the feeling 😀

https://tenor.com/o4Qx.gif
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2020, 07:18 AM   #41
nosnoop
Lieutenant
Canada
164
Rep
567
Posts

Drives: 5 Series
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer-Bimmer View Post
My salesman at the dealer told me that the SkyLounge was not worth getting, because it only mattered to the people sitting in the back (not the driver). I think he was trying to shoehorn me into something on the lot.
Maybe that's the case, but the salesman is correct that you can't really enjoy Sky Lounge as a driver. It's simply not visible from your normal driving position.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #42
Marty in NY
Major
Marty in NY's Avatar
United_States
661
Rep
1,481
Posts

Drives: '11 X3 35i, '18 GTi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Maybe that's the case, but the salesman is correct that you can't really enjoy Sky Lounge as a driver. It's simply not visible from your normal driving position.
I've had sunroofs in just about all my cars for the past 30 years whether I've liked it or not, I've tried buying cars without a sunroof, most don't have the option to order without them. I never open them, the most I do is tilt the back of them up when parking the car in the sun to allow for heat escape.

If I must have them, I like the way BMW has implemented them. I can tilt the back of the glass panel up which slides the inside cover back just a couple of inches. Many of the cars I've test driven require the entire inside panel to be slid all the way back before the tilt feature engages, this is awful and puts the full sun on your back and head while it heats up the car. What were they thinking???
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 09:19 AM   #43
pho
New Member
pho's Avatar
Belgium
3
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e on order
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

I ordered it on mine because I'm a sucker for pretty ambient lighting and I know my kids will love it.
At the end of the day it's an overpriced led strip + some etchings in the glass and I'm fully aware of that. Sometimes you just gotta endulge
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 09:50 AM   #44
thereef510
Lieutenant
United_States
127
Rep
422
Posts

Drives: '16 F15; '20 G05
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pho View Post
I ordered it on mine because I'm a sucker for pretty ambient lighting and I know my kids will love it.
At the end of the day it's an overpriced led strip + some etchings in the glass and I'm fully aware of that. Sometimes you just gotta endulge
I LOVE ambient lighting. I've always hated sitting quietly in a dark car for 45 minutes. the G05's lighting is so very tastefully done. I just wish we had more color options and/or flexibility. the F15 had tri color options for some schemes.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST