10-02-2016, 04:53 AM   #1
Skaufma0
Riding the Thin Blue Line
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

Garage List
Invicta?

Obviously not in the same watch league, or even the same game as some of you guys, but I'm working up to it. Dream watch would be a Royal Oak Offshore from Audemars Piguet, but that's going to be a long way down the line, if ever.

I was wondering what everyone thought about Invicta watches. Some look pretty nice, even some really similar to the Rolex Submariner. For less than 200 bucks I'm curious if anyone has experience with them or opinions for a guy on a budget when it comes to his "wrist game".
      10-02-2016, 05:09 AM   #2
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
First, I don't know much about Invicta. In my opinion, at that price, you can buy them like jewelry. In other words, if you like the look, buy it. You aren't buying "horological value" at that price, you're buying a cool looking watch. If you like it the way it looks, go for it. I cannot speak to reliability or quality or any of that, because I don't know them. I thought they were Chinese made, but not sure. I assume they are Quartz, and those tend to be reliable.

Everyone's watch game started somewhere. It shouldn't be about price or what others think. It should be about what you're looking for. It sounds like you are looking for a cool looking watch and a start to the hobby. I say dive in. At least you're not using your phone to tell time!
      10-02-2016, 07:30 PM   #3
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

I started off with a Nixon single diamond something something. everyone starts somewhere. I personally think Invicta are gaudy and poser-esque, but that's my opinion.

my brother in law wears one....he also wears affliction and ed hardy....just sayin'
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 07:49 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

There are some older post regarding invicta where people tell of their ownership experience.
Up to the $800 range there is an incredible range of excellent watches from different brands, iWatch included. But it gets boring when everyone wears an iWatch.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 09:56 PM   #5
muddtt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i (E88)

i just consider Invicta a fashion watch. If it works for you then who cares what anyone else thinks. I just despise them because they always say their msrp is like $800 and its discounted to $100. That kind of marketing is asinine to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 11:37 PM   #6
Skaufma0
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdone View Post
I started off with a Nixon single diamond something something. everyone starts somewhere. I personally think Invicta are gaudy and poser-esque, but that's my opinion.

my brother in law wears one....he also wears affliction and ed hardy....just sayin'
I totally agree with some of them. Really HUGE faces and lots of blingy/crappy looking stuff all over. I'm more along the lines of something like this:

40mm, similar to a submariner type Rolex, Automatic and not too flashy. And yeah the marketing of it being a 1000 dollar watch and it being "on sale" for 80 bucks just doesn't make any sense.

10-02-2016, 11:39 PM   #7
Skaufma0
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
First, I don't know much about Invicta. In my opinion, at that price, you can buy them like jewelry. In other words, if you like the look, buy it. You aren't buying "horological value" at that price, you're buying a cool looking watch. If you like it the way it looks, go for it. I cannot speak to reliability or quality or any of that, because I don't know them. I thought they were Chinese made, but not sure. I assume they are Quartz, and those tend to be reliable.

Everyone's watch game started somewhere. It shouldn't be about price or what others think. It should be about what you're looking for. It sounds like you are looking for a cool looking watch and a start to the hobby. I say dive in. At least you're not using your phone to tell time!
Yeah I'm just starting out and I've always loved watches, but never had the money or opportunity to put any effort into it. Eventually I'd love to get some actually worth something, but for now I'm either looking for a cool watch, or a watch that will take a beating like no other (work is rough on watches).
      10-03-2016, 12:05 AM   #8
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

IMO start off with a decent proven brand. go with a decent Seiko diver or a Citizen Eco-Drive. you can get very good used automatic seikos for the same price as a new shitvicta.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2016, 12:38 AM   #9
Skaufma0
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdone View Post
IMO start off with a decent proven brand. go with a decent Seiko diver or a Citizen Eco-Drive. you can get very good used automatic seikos for the same price as a new shitvicta.
10-04 thanks for the advice! I'll have to look into them.
      10-03-2016, 01:19 AM   #10
Winn.Nguyen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Never owned an Invicta but if you're interested in divers, Seiko is a great brand to start off with. They have a wide range of divers and field watches that you might enjoy.

I highly recommend the Seiko SBDC029. Beautiful watch, can take a beating, automatic, and will last you a lifetime. This will keep you satisfied until you are able to purchase your grail watches. :]

The guys over at watchuseek.com might be able to help you narrow down on some sweet watches to start out with.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2016, 01:28 AM   #11
Skaufma0
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winn.Nguyen View Post
Never owned an Invicta but if you're interested in divers, Seiko is a great brand to start off with. They have a wide range of divers and field watches that you might enjoy.

I highly recommend the Seiko SBDC029. Beautiful watch, can take a beating, automatic, and will last you a lifetime. This will keep you satisfied until you are able to purchase your grail watches. :]

The guys over at watchuseek.com might be able to help you narrow down on some sweet watches to start out with.

Best of luck!
Thanks so much!
      10-03-2016, 03:10 AM   #12
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I have two Invicta watches , one of Arsenal Reserve 63MM the other one is ETA look like manual winding watch . Each watch quality wise suck , I mean suck . I handled a replica watch and even that watch being a Chinese replica felt like more quality than those Invicta watches . Push in links suck and they tend to corrosion , bracelet is so cheap in either watches ,there is no balanced weight distribution .
Invicta Arsenal Reserve II is heavier than 116506 Rolex Daytona Platinum but somehow it is trinket ,kudos to their designers who managed to make it look like that despite being heavier than 300 grams
The other watch is manual wound ,it bears a crown lock mimicking Panerai but each time you need to remove the lock to wind the watch you can get your nails broken ,this is how it's tight and reckless iteration of Panerai
Bracelet also lost a few plastic gray colored caps .
They're cool looking watches but don't expect a quality
      10-03-2016, 10:38 AM   #13
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Im not a fan of the big, gaudy Invictas, but the smaller stuff is decent for the price. Some of them even have Swiss ETA movements once you get into the couple hundred dollar range.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 10:57 PM   #14
Skaufma0
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Very cool thanks guys. I'm looking at the pre-owned Seikos and they don't look too bad as far as price goes. I think I'll go in that direction if I can and skip the Invicta altogether.
      10-06-2016, 12:20 AM   #15
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

As others have already mentioned invicta is a terrible watch to buy. You only have to see one in person to understand. My personal suggestion would be a classic Rado XL used. They can be had for very cheap and they are built to last. Engine is excellent and keeps good track of time +/- 1 min per month or so. Reserve is about 48 hrs. Stainless steel band is amazing quality. Check it out I think you will like it.

M
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2016, 07:16 AM   #16
mookie45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW 340i M-Sport

I agree with you, the 89260B is the only Invicta I'd recommend getting. It's a simple, classic, submariner design. It has a screw down crown for extra waterproof protection and uses a Seiko automatic movement found in several Seiko 5 models. If you wait til Black Friday, Amazon will sell these under $70.
      10-06-2016, 09:29 AM   #17
Etek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

I don't like Invicta for their marketing scam. Watches are eh. I started out with one. But in that price range Seiko, Citizen, or any of the indy brands like Helgay, Maranez, Stevral are great watches. Some of the are on kickstarter.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #18
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

My experience is different from a couple here...

I have a couple 'mid-quality' watches (Tag Link and Movado Fiero), but I also own one Invicta watch (Invicta Elite - Mirror face), automatic movement.

The watch itself is fantastic - the band was replaced long ago with a steel bracelet style band. Good size watch with solid feel design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #19
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.mba View Post
As others have already mentioned invicta is a terrible watch to buy. You only have to see one in person to understand. My personal suggestion would be a classic Rado XL used. They can be had for very cheap and they are built to last. Engine is excellent and keeps good track of time +/- 1 min per month or so. Reserve is about 48 hrs. Stainless steel band is amazing quality. Check it out I think you will like it.

M
Many of the Rados use a lower grade ETA movement with 21600bph. Better watches can be had for the same price with a better movement IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie45 View Post
I agree with you, the 89260B is the only Invicta I'd recommend getting. It's a simple, classic, submariner design. It has a screw down crown for extra waterproof protection and uses a Seiko automatic movement found in several Seiko 5 models. If you wait til Black Friday, Amazon will sell these under $70.
The style on these isnt bad, but the movements are crap. 21j japanese movements with low bph. If you are in the $100 and under price range, there are some better watches to be had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etek View Post
I don't like Invicta for their marketing scam. Watches are eh. I started out with one. But in that price range Seiko, Citizen, or any of the indy brands like Helgay, Maranez, Stevral are great watches. Some of the are on kickstarter.
I agree, most there watches are eh. Only one id consider are their higher end ones using the swiss movements. The Pro Diver 9937 used an ETA 2824 in older models and now uses the Sellita SW200. Movements are almost identical, have 28,800bph and are swiss made, robust movements. Can be found new for under $300 and used for under $200.

http://www.sears.com/invicta-men-s-p...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 04:11 PM   #20
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Most of the Invicta watches are copies of some other popular designs. They generally have poor build quality and just look like cheap knockoffs.

As others have said, look at Seiko or Citizen watches. They have good watches for lower prices.
      10-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #21
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Google ' Invicta buys Glycine '
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 08:43 AM   #22
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Google ' Invicta buys Glycine '
Interesting... had no idea Invicta bought them.
Appreciate 0