05-18-2021, 06:10 PM   #1
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 G06

"Vehicle key is missing " message"

Hey Guys

I wanted to share my unpleasant incident yesterday while trying to start my car last night..

I typically use my display key as the main profile key .. while approaching my vehicle I wasn't able to open my car the soft touch comfort access.. yet I was able to do so using my remote's unlock button only….

Upon entering my car to start the engine, the engine will not start with my BMW display key and one of the following CCM "Check Control messages" is displayed:

Key is missing

Hold the remote near the steering column and then press the START-STOP button. see "Owner's Handbook".. after many trials and errors trying to hold the key next to the steering column .. even trying my spare key with no luck .. I ended up calling bmw roadside assistance and the guy was able to disconnect the car's battery and reconnect it again and did this trick :

1. With all doors closed, press the START-STOP button 3 times within 4 seconds.
2. Press center lock button and hold.
3. Press Start/Stop button.
4. Release Start/Stop button.
5. Release center lock button.

A message poped up saying the remote bas been updated..

Having the car luckily up and running I was able to take it next day for my oil change and interim service, where they did update the software "SA quoted" even though I am unable to find any evidence of that software update .. they claim its internal to the onboard system ..

Luckily my car feels much better and responsive now ..

Not sure if y'all experienced something similar .. just wanted to share mine in case someone falls into this unpleasant moment where I had to spend nearly 2 hours trying to figure out what's wrong ..

Cheers
Appreciate 4
MystroX56289.50
Stoshu494.00
ladra17.50
nZtiZia4653.50
      08-24-2021, 07:56 PM   #2
IrishSpuds
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3 Series, Vette C6 GS, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukd X6 View Post
Hey Guys

I wanted to share my unpleasant incident yesterday while trying to start my car last night..

I typically use my display key as the main profile key .. while approaching my vehicle I wasn't able to open my car the soft touch comfort access.. yet I was able to do so using my remote's unlock button only….

Upon entering my car to start the engine, the engine will not start with my BMW display key and one of the following CCM "Check Control messages" is displayed:

Key is missing

Hold the remote near the steering column and then press the START-STOP button. see "Owner's Handbook".. after many trials and errors trying to hold the key next to the steering column .. even trying my spare key with no luck .. I ended up calling bmw roadside assistance and the guy was able to disconnect the car's battery and reconnect it again and did this trick :

Having the car luckily up and running I was able to take it next day for my oil change and interim service, where they did update the software "SA quoted" even though I am unable to find any evidence of that software update .. they claim its internal to the onboard system ..

Not sure if y'all experienced something similar .. just wanted to share mine in case someone falls into this unpleasant moment where I had to spend nearly 2 hours trying to figure out what's wrong ..

Cheers
Holy Jesus, how did a tow truck dude know the secret code!? Crazy, but fortunate - I would bet most dealers would be stumped.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 08:47 PM   #3
Dwillbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 sDrive 40i

What is the “center lock button”?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 08:53 PM   #4
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

more reason not to "upgrade" to the display brick
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 09:12 PM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
frankly, there have been more reports of this issue with the regular key fobs than the display key as of late. this would put you in the majority for this to happen to. you're not exempt by any means.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 08:37 PM   #6
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpuds View Post
Quote:
Hey Guys

Key is missing

Cheers
Holy Jesus, how did a tow truck dude know the secret code!? Crazy, but fortunate - I would bet most dealers would be stumped.
The guy was from the bmw roadside assistance..

Center lock is the (lock and unlock button) on the driver side door..

Unfortunately this issue would happen to any key regardless :$ …

Knock on wood… It never came back ever since ..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 08:40 PM   #7
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
frankly, there have been more reports of this issue with the regular key fobs than the display key as of late. this would put you in the majority for this to happen to. you're not exempt by any means.
I do suspect one thing.. iphone 12 meg safe crap has something to do with many of the interceptions.. once read an article of how it would even effect heart pacemakers :$
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 02:55 PM   #8
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d G05

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
Just had this problem today. I've tried both key fobs. I'm able to open & close vehicle but car is it starting. Replaced battery which didn't help.
Luckily I did set up nfc card & digital key. So I'm able to use the car. Booked service. Car is 1 week old. Not going to mess up with the battery. Quite disappointing experience but hoping to get this resolved quickly.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 03:27 PM   #9
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by medialook View Post
Just had this problem today. I've tried both key fobs. I'm able to open & close vehicle but car is it starting. Replaced battery which didn't help.
Luckily I did set up nfc card & digital key. So I'm able to use the car. Booked service. Car is 1 week old. Not going to mess up with the battery. Quite disappointing experience but hoping to get this resolved quickly.
Restart iDrive and see if that makes a difference. You just didn't set up your Digital key did you? Someone reported the other day that doing that caused his key fobs to act just like yours is doing.
      08-06-2022, 03:40 PM   #10
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Restart iDrive and see if that makes a difference. You just didn't set up your Digital key did you? Someone reported the other day that doing that caused his key fobs to act just like yours is doing.
I did set up the digital key and it worked well along with the regular key fob.

Currently digital key and nfc card allows me to drive the car.

But now thinking if some how digital key haven't replaced the key fob functionality.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 03:47 PM   #11
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:

But now thinking if some how digital key haven't replaced the key fob functionality.
Hopefully you get it sorted out.
      08-06-2022, 06:06 PM   #12
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
[

doubtful. I have iPhone and Apple Watch Digital Key set up, and both key fobs function without issue. before going to the dealer, try disconnecting the 12V battery for a few minutes then reconnecting. this has solved key non-recognition issues for others
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 03:10 AM   #13
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
[

doubtful. I have iPhone and Apple Watch Digital Key set up, and both key fobs function without issue. before going to the dealer, try disconnecting the 12V battery for a few minutes then reconnecting. this has solved key non-recognition issues for others
Thanks. I've seen your post and thinking to do it but not sure where the battery is... and then BMW to tell that I've been messing up with the car...

I will call assistance to do it for me
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 04:27 AM   #14
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Just one thing regarding the original post I believe you don't "hold key near steering column" but place it on wireless charging tray or where it would be if not fitted to car, has worked on mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 05:16 AM   #15
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
[

Hi there. So, disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes worked. That was the solution from assistance guy and from you. No button sequence needed in my case.

He also said that if digital key wouldn't work, proper reprogramming would be needed and if that wouldn't work then module replacement. Luckily it wasn't my case.

What's worth adding it's not just X5's having this issue.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by medialook; 08-07-2022 at 05:23 AM..
Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4653.50
Ukd X682.50
      08-07-2022, 07:13 PM   #16
mandomedic122
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5M G05, Mini 2016 S

Quote:
I do suspect one thing.. iphone 12 meg safe crap has something to do with many of the interceptions.. once read an article of how it would even effect heart pacemakers :$
It affects pacemakers cause it's a big magnet. That's how pacemakers are deactivated when there is a problem with them.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 07:33 PM   #17
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
yup, if you have a pacemaker, don't place your MagSafe phone in your breast pocket or within 6-12" of the pacemaker if implanted somewhere else besides the chest
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 08:00 PM   #18
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
You might be referring to this https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211900

The phones have a very weak magnet in them, its the MagSafe wireless chargers, the round white disk that plugs into the wall, that has the more powerful magnet. I really doubt that the phone itself has anything to do with any of the issues you may be experiencing. The MagSafe charger is a magnet, which holds tight to the phone, and a coil which produces electro magnetic waves that the coil in the phone picks up and uses to charge the battery. So the MagSafe is the transmitter and the phone is the receiver.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 02:52 AM   #19
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Quote:

The phones have a very weak magnet in them, its the MagSafe wireless chargers, the round white disk that plugs into the wall, that has the more powerful magnet. I really doubt that the phone itself has anything to do with any of the issues you may be experiencing. The MagSafe charger is a magnet, which holds tight to the phone, and a coil which produces electro magnetic waves that the coil in the phone picks up and uses to charge the battery. So the MagSafe is the transmitter and the phone is the receiver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Quote:

Yes, probably.. I have switched to a different iphone case anyhow .. ones from Apple sucks ..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 02:54 AM   #20
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[

Hi there. So, disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes worked. That was the solution from assistance guy and from you. No button sequence needed in my case.

He also said that if digital key wouldn't work, proper reprogramming would be needed and if that wouldn't work then module replacement. Luckily it wasn't my case.

Thanks for your input.
Glad it worked for you ..
I took my car in for programming the next day just incase there are any errors .. didn't take much time .. its a quick job .. you might want to consider as well
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 07:48 PM   #21
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[

Thanks for your input.
I took my car in for programming the next day just incase there are any errors .. didn't take much time .. its a quick job .. you might want to consider as well
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[

Thanks for your input.
I might ask for it when the car will go for a service. So far no issues...
Appreciate 1
Ukd X682.50
      08-31-2022, 09:17 PM   #22
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 XM,'21 45e 'Lemon', '23 45e

this totally happened to me about 60 days into owning the car. I went without my car about a week.
thread : https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1846114

as for the center lock button, I learned it was the button on the driver's door that locks car manually.

just so you know, my 45 e has been in the shop now 2 weeks on a battery/drivetrain malfucktion. I had a recall vehicle and still think there are issues lingering. Looking to replace or buyback.
Appreciate 1
Ukd X682.50