BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-21-2023, 12:01 PM   #1
MC113
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW X5 M60i

'24 M60i "Urgent Battery Check Up" Warning Message, Engine Rattling Noises?

Wanted to see if anyone has experienced something similar - the car is a 2024 M60i with ~ 1,500 miles and I've had it two months.

Shortly after beginning to drive, I received the fault message "Power Supply - You can continue driving. Roadside Assistance not required. Have the problem checked by the nearest service center."

The fault reappeared after turning the car off, locking it and then coming back and restarting it a few minutes later. The fault message remained on for the entire drive as well as the following day.

When checking the MyBMW app, the message stated:

"Urgent Battery Check Up

The battery connection of your vehicle is malfunctioning. It is possible to continue driving."

I dropped the car off for service yesterday and the Advisor is saying today that they see the warning illuminated, but when they test the vehicle it isn't present. There weren't any low voltage warnings or faults either and they believe it was just a software glitch. Anyone have experience with this?

Unrelated (at least I think it is), does anyone else have an engine-speed dependent clicking noise audible when they have their windows down? It sort of reminds me of a bicycle spoke sports card type sound? This is separate from the loud rattling noise at idle which is apparently just part of how the S68 engine sounds (you can kind of hear the rattling here during the first 8 seconds or so). The service center said the tech who drove it thinks it's the secondary air pump and that it is also normal. I haven't encountered enough other M60is out and about to try to listen to their cars and there aren't many videos on YouTube to go off of.

Anyway - just wanted to check with this community before rushing to pick the car up! Thank you!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 07:51 PM   #2
thedevine1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive40i

I just had a similar issue in my 2.5 week old '24 xdrive40i with about 400 miles. I was just driving to work and this popped up on my screen. I parked, came back later and error was gone, but on my drive home, it came back a second time. Scheduled service for next day. yellow engine symbol was lit that 2nd morning, but no power supply error.

Local dealer didn't know what was causing it, so they made a case with BMW. They ended up replacing the 48v battery.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 08:41 PM   #3
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Cannot comment on the battery part. The 8s in the S68 video, those sound is normal. The air flow sound is from vacuum pump. What you refer to as rattle, those are valve chain sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 06:24 AM   #4
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: lots

Just happened on my 24 x6 M60i. It has about 150 miles on it. Message says replace battery.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 06:56 AM   #5
E91toG05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

I realize this is not directly on point. In my 45e, I received a bunch of error messages very early on when I first purchased the car new. These went away and never came back. I have this theory that these cars need to sort things out when they are brand new. Hopefully this is the case for all of you.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 06:58 AM   #6
roamio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i

Hmm, if it's multiple users reporting then it could be batch of faulty batteries from supplier. It's BMW you know.....

Last edited by roamio; 10-27-2023 at 06:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 08:06 AM   #7
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

MC113 How was this resolved?
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 03:20 PM   #8
RidgeHauler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M60i

Is it the starting battery giving this warning?

No message but I did notice my starting (AGM) battery was somewhat depleted when I first connected it to a charger out of caution. Having sat in the car for hours learning everything I figured I better check it.

I put a permanent CTEK pigtail connector on the battery and I charged it once with their 7Amp charger in AGM (snowflake) mode. The battery charge state was below 50% when I started and it took four plus hours to complete.

I haven't connected it again to check but I will again soon.

It drains quickly if you did same while learning the vehicles features.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 03:23 PM   #9
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Is this referring to 12v or 48v battery?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 02:06 AM   #10
MC113
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDT View Post
MC113 How was this resolved?
Service center had the car for a day or two but never got a straight answer. They couldn’t figure out what was causing the error message on the display because there weren’t any errors coming up when they connected the car to their diagnostic systems. When they ran their system checks everything was normal - so I picked it up and luckily haven’t had any issues since! They said it may have just been a software glitch.
Appreciate 1
LDT1539.50
      10-27-2023, 07:54 AM   #11
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC113 View Post
Service center had the car for a day or two but never got a straight answer. They couldn’t figure out what was causing the error message on the display because there weren’t any errors coming up when they connected the car to their diagnostic systems. When they ran their system checks everything was normal - so I picked it up and luckily haven’t had any issues since! They said it may have just been a software glitch.
This really makes you wonder who is writing the software and who is establishing the design protocol. Error messages shouldn't just pop up and be attributed to unknown glitches. When an error message is logged but its stimulus is not, it's worthless information as well as being an annoyance, and might as well just be deleted.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 09:50 AM   #12
RidgeHauler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
Is this referring to 12v or 48v battery?
12 volt AGM battery in the rear luggage compartment.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 02:59 AM   #13
MC113
Private
United_States
Rep

Update from my previous post -

As a recap, I brought the vehicle in in September when I received an iDrive message multiple times which read "Check Control: Power Supply - you can continue driving. Roadside assistance not required. Have the problem checked by the nearest service center." I picked the car up after being told it was fine and the service center didn't know what could've caused the issue.

On November 19th I received the same message which went away on its own.

Yesterday, while driving home the vehicle began making a pronounced high pitched noise while at low speeds or idling. This persisted for several minutes and then I then received the iDrive message "Check Control: Power Supply. Stop carefully. Do not continue driving. Continued driving will lead to malfunction of safety relevant functions. Battery cannot be recharged. Call Roadside Assistance."

The vehicle became extremely difficult to steer and subsequently made more unusual mechanical noises. I was able to get it home and it is now parked in my garage. I am assuming it will need a flatbed to the service center but I'll need to figure out how to get it out of my apartment building's garage. I've scheduled service for Monday. From what I've read elsewhere it seems there's a known issue with the 48v system...going back to 2021.

A little disappointing on a few month old $104k car which I traded my '20 Range Rover Sport V8 for specifically in anticipation of reliability concerns as the Range was getting older. Not real world problems but a bit ironic!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 06:40 PM   #14
robbin58
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i

Garage List
Anyone have any insight into my issue? I’m getting a similar but different message. I see it on the instrument cluster but the app shows “all good.” I have an appointment to get it seen but they can’t get me in until 5/8 with a loaner. I’m trying to determine if it’s actually safe to drive until then. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0