BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-21-2024, 06:58 AM   #1
nightwolf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

navigation map issues and software update

quick question. sometimes my main screen navigation map is completely full size, and other times the top of it is shaded down and it doesn't fill the whole screen. i'm not talking about the split screen or tiles on the right that disappear, i know that is reduced mode. i'm asking why sometimes the entire screen is the map and other times it's like 90% of the screen with the top strip being darkened. see picture. i know it probably doesn't look like anything, but this has happened in the past and then magically disappears and the full screen is used for nav, so i know i'm not crazy. the minute it goes back to full screen it's noticeable and when it does this, it's like i can't unsee it. any ideas?

second - is anyone still stuck on this stupid software update screen? it's on my phone, it said it was updating to the car and i had to drive around. then it said park for 30 minutes. i left the phone in the car and close enough to the house that my phone was on wifi and bluetooth enabled. and connected via carplay. and yet this damn screen is still like this - what gives?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 07:27 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwolf View Post
quick question. sometimes my main screen navigation map is completely full size, and other times the top of it is shaded down and it doesn't fill the whole screen. i'm not talking about the split screen or tiles on the right that disappear, i know that is reduced mode. i'm asking why sometimes the entire screen is the map and other times it's like 90% of the screen with the top strip being darkened. see picture. i know it probably doesn't look like anything, but this has happened in the past and then magically disappears and the full screen is used for nav, so i know i'm not crazy. the minute it goes back to full screen it's noticeable and when it does this, it's like i can't unsee it. any ideas?

second - is anyone still stuck on this stupid software update screen? it's on my phone, it said it was updating to the car and i had to drive around. then it said park for 30 minutes. i left the phone in the car and close enough to the house that my phone was on wifi and bluetooth enabled. and connected via carplay. and yet this damn screen is still like this - what gives?
1) I wanna say that could be the automatic day/night thing? (that looks like it’s in night mode being that your inside a covered garage.)
2) many folks are stuck on that screen. you’ll find several posts citing the prerequisites for installation. the one item that seems to stump us is low voltage 12V battery even though the vehicle may not have any symptoms. there’s also a sensitivity to level ground. still, despite checking off all the prerequisites, many can’t get past that screen
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2024, 07:29 AM   #3
nightwolf
Enlisted Member
Rep

i understand the "day night" idea but it will do this in bright daylight outside in the florida sun.. that's what makes it so weird
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 07:38 AM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwolf View Post
i understand the "day night" idea but it will do this in bright daylight outside in the florida sun.. that's what makes it so weird
ok so maybe not that. I also use the perspective view in my map, but never really noticed. the black bar is for the top menu items, but I can see what you’re saying about the other dark area below that where we can still see some map items.

1) play with the distance toggle. maybe the closer the distance it does that? observe during active navigation especially if you have the ‘auto zoom’ feature enabled (i don’t) and see if the dark area coincides when zooming in
2) i know the only way to completely remove that horizon “dead space” is to change the map view to something other than perspective
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 08:01 AM   #5
nightwolf
Enlisted Member
Rep

i'll give it a try, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 08:43 AM   #6
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

i've been stuck on the upgrade message for weeks now. I've updated the software successfully twice before but this one would never alert me that install is possible. Had the battery fully charged up and connected to trickle charger and still nothing. Basically it would cycle through saying it will let me know when the install is possible to let the engine cool down for 30mins. I've given up on this update at this point because i've tried everything people posted.