BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-10-2023, 11:16 PM   #1
X5M_MD
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5MC

Spacers and KWv4

First of I would call myself a newbie when it comes to modifications and troubleshooting. I have digged deep into the forums to do researching and reading around.

I've been running KWv4 Since August and its a love/hate with the coilovers. Before this I was running KW HAS for a few months. Might gave up the KWv4 kit and switch back to KW HAS but I really want to keep the kwv4 kit.

Did not expect to type a lot ....

KWv4 Coilovers

Anyone running KWv4? If so what is your current suspension setup? I have my settings set to KWs recommendation but need to start playing around with it to get it to my liking. Tried looking everywhere in the internet to find someone with a KWv4 Kit installed on their car.

I have the KW clunk sound in one of the rear coilovers. When I jerk the wheel violently left and right at speeds of 10-20mph, I can hear the clunking. Over bumps there is no nothing. I have had them checked multiple times but cant find the problem. Could it coil shifting slightly on the top perch only at low speed/load?
https://streamable.com/q10gj6

When I have the car parked in the garage, I have rocked the car by holding on to the roof rack on each corner the best I could. when it came to the rear, there was a noticeable noise. If anyone has any experience with KW coilovers with other BMW models, any help is appreciated.

https://streamable.com/15sorn

At low speeds its great but once you hit highway speeds 75-90+ switching lanes doesn't feel as fluid as stock did iirc since I feel like there is slightly more body roll.

The best part is the cornering. Its amazes me every single time when I take on-ramps, off-ramps or windy roads. I am able to hit corners /curves at highway speeds and the car feels great.

Spacers

A few weeks after installing the KWv4 I had Future classic spacers installed, 12mm and 18mm. I didn't notice it at first but at speeds 80+mph there was a subtle vibration at the foot pedal and steering. I had this going on for weeks and I didn't really push the car above 100mph until recently. One day I hit 130mph in Mexico and the front of the car started to wobble side to side and it was by far one of the scariest things I've encountered. Today I had the the spacers removed and I want to say the vibration I was feeling on the steering wheel is gone but I still feel the vibration at the foot pedal. I hit 135MPH and no wobble. Phew

I guess If I want to run spacers again, Ill make sure the surface is close to 100% clean with a wire brush but most likely going to custom 21/22.

I think due to me driving the car for short and long distances since installation that my right leg has started to go numb Sitting right now in front of my computer and I feel my leg is numb so I don't think its the car now....

I have hit 135 mph twice. First time was with KW HAS KIT and it felt like I was in control of the car. With the KWv4, it was slightly uncomfortable which I think I need to adjust rebound or compression by 2 clicks until I find the sweet spot for me.

Too be honest its kind of hard to tell how it felt stock since I don't really recall the driving experience on stock.

Update (11/28/23):

Vibration is gone! Spacers were the issue.
KWv4 front rebound and compression was adjusted by 2 clicks and it feels a lot better. Before adjusting, when I would accelerate and let go, the front end would basically nose dive and it felt a bit unsteady. Now it does not nose dive as gradually as before and the care feels so much better.

There was no rear sway link gap. It was a bolt that loose at the control arm but now there is another noise.... when making sharp left turns there is a clunking noise. Don't think I've heard it before or it was there before with the loose bolt. I'll try to figure out it.

Added pictures

Name:  IMG_4603.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  744.8 KB
Name:  IMG_2618.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  653.5 KB

Last edited by X5M_MD; 11-28-2023 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      11-11-2023, 07:34 AM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

KW V4 is a great system. You do need to spend time dialing the compression and rebound.
Took my M8GC customer a few months and multiple drive to the canyon, and finally able to find his liking.
You can start from default KW recommendation that is written in the manual.

Noise wise, my best bet is your rear sway bar link has gap to the lower arm.
I assume that your car is early build where BMW has issue with lower arm tolerance.

Vibration with spacer, most likely is the spacer.
That’s why I only use, recommend, and sell H&R wheel spacers.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
X5M_MD18.50
      11-11-2023, 12:17 PM   #3
X5M_MD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
KW V4 is a great system. You do need to spend time dialing the compression and rebound.
Took my M8GC customer a few months and multiple drive to the canyon, and finally able to find his liking.
You can start from default KW recommendation that is written in the manual.

Noise wise, my best bet is your rear sway bar link has gap to the lower arm.
I assume that your car is early build where BMW has issue with lower arm tolerance.

Vibration with spacer, most likely is the spacer.
That’s why I only use, recommend, and sell H&R wheel spacers.
Thanks for the response. Definitely need to find the time dialing it in. I'll have to wait until next year to experiment with this since the cold weather is approaching where I live.
I did purchase 12mm/18mm H&R spacers from your website. Going to give it and try and see what happens.

I purchased the 2022 X5MC in May 2022. What would you suggest in order to fix this gap?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      11-11-2023, 12:48 PM   #4
TTTTTTT
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW X5M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M_MD View Post
Thanks for the response. Definitely need to find the time dialing it in. I'll have to wait until next year to experiment with this since the cold weather is approaching where I live.
I did purchase 12mm/18mm H&R spacers from your website. Going to give it and try and see what happens.

I purchased the 2022 X5MC in May 2022. What would you suggest in order to fix this gap?
Check out this thread on the fix, the service bulletin is listed in it:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2029116
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12971.00
X5M_MD18.50
      11-11-2023, 03:26 PM   #5
fallen
Loving Life
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M_MD View Post
I have hit 135 mph twice. First time was with KW HAS KIT and it felt like I was in control of the car. With the KWv4, it was slightly uncomfortable which I think I need to adjust rebound or compression by 2 clicks until I find the sweet spot for me.

Too be honest its kind of hard to tell how it felt stock since I don't really recall the driving experience on stock.
I have KW HAS on for the past three weeks and really like the way the car feels on them.
If spacers are installed correctly, there should be zero vibration at speed.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 08:24 PM   #6
X5M_MD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTTTTT View Post
Check out this thread on the fix, the service bulletin is listed in it:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2029116
Thank you!
Appreciate 1
TTTTTTT85.50
      11-11-2023, 08:26 PM   #7
X5M_MD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen View Post
I have KW HAS on for the past three weeks and really like the way the car feels on them.
If spacers are installed correctly, there should be zero vibration at speed.

I’ll have to try H&R hoping it works
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 11:45 PM   #8
Tekhed2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Hi, does anyone know if the V4 will fit the LCI? I’m assuming they’re the same but wanted to play it safe before ordering.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 09:08 AM   #9
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekhed2 View Post
Hi, does anyone know if the V4 will fit the LCI? I’m assuming they’re the same but wanted to play it safe before ordering.
Yes, it will.
To date, I haven’t seen any single BMW that changed their suspension on LCI from pre-LCI.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 09:12 AM   #10
Tekhed2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Yes, it will.
To date, I haven’t seen any single BMW that changed their suspension on LCI from pre-LCI.
Thank you!

I figured so. KW doesn’t have a 2024 X5M listed, but I imagine a lot companies do not update their sites for model updates like LCI.
Appreciate 0