BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-16-2020, 09:49 AM   #23
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Now with over 3K miles my brakes only make noise when they are covered in brake dust. I think what contributes to this is if you do a lot of light braking in stop/go traffic. I had to brake really hard one day and before that the brakes were fairly dirty and started to make some noise but after the panic stop the brakes are still dirty but no more noise.
      09-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #24
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Now with over 3K miles my brakes only make noise when they are covered in brake dust. I think what contributes to this is if you do a lot of light braking in stop/go traffic. I had to brake really hard one day and before that the brakes were fairly dirty and started to make some noise but after the panic stop the brakes are still dirty but no more noise.
This seems to suggest that you simply didn't bed your brakes. Here's just one random example of how to do that from google: https://brakeperformance.com/bedding...20no%20traffic. Details are not too important and vary - just need to brake hard with warm brakes a few times (but not to full stop) and then let it cool off.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:07 PM   #25
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Yes, mine are starting to squeak. Not like the F85, but the squeak is there. It's faint but noticeable.

Same as the F85, it only happens after brake dust builds up. After a pressure wash, it's gone.

1,300 miles on the clock.
      09-16-2020, 10:05 PM   #26
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneya View Post
This seems to suggest that you simply didn't bed your brakes. Here's just one random example of how to do that from google: https://brakeperformance.com/bedding...20no%20traffic. Details are not too important and vary - just need to brake hard with warm brakes a few times (but not to full stop) and then let it cool off.
I've bed in my brakes before when i installed aftermarket brembos but never on stock brakes. Typically that happens naturally with the stock pad compound they use. I also don't have any brake shimmy or vibrations like when your brakes aren't bedded properly. Either way the next time i'm on a long drive I'll do the process since it wouldn't hurt.

Like Crisp mine would squeal a little when there is brake dust build up. Not nearly as bad as my F85 which sounded like a old school bus.
      09-16-2020, 10:18 PM   #27
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I've bed in my brakes before when i installed aftermarket brembos but never on stock brakes. Typically that happens naturally with the stock pad compound they use. I also don't have any brake shimmy or vibrations like when your brakes aren't bedded properly. Either way the next time i'm on a long drive I'll do the process since it wouldn't hurt.

Like Crisp mine would squeal a little when there is brake dust build up. Not nearly as bad as my F85 which sounded like a old school bus.
BMW actually has a similar in spirit recommendation in the manual regarding the noise:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Alan l.5436.50
      09-17-2020, 08:13 AM   #28
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

All of my performance vehicles have had some sort of early squeal until warmed up a bit. I was actually happy to hear a bit of it on my X5MC since I was hoping for a higher performance pad. If you think these are noises go try a set of ceramic those things will take your ears off until they get fairly warm.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0