08-18-2023, 02:01 PM   #1
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50e

UK PRICES ON PCPs

Hi
I currently got a 50d fully loaded, it’s 3 years old in September, so looking at changing.
Been on it for months.
So I am finding the new monthly prices are massive £1300- £1400 a month!
This is with £8-£10k in!!
Looking at deal £4.9% apr and really poor finally payments dealer deposit contribution too.
Anyone had similar issues?
Love the X5 but it’s not worth that. The model is 50e, but would have anything, but not 30d.

BMW UK really aren’t supporting their own cars further values, usually dealer BS but some now admitting the stock isn’t finding buyers!
Your experience please, love the brand but I am not prepared to pay over the odds, been here before with BMW over the years!
The killer is residuals for BMW, they can’t avoid there own forecourts!!!
Appreciate 1
six377.00
      08-19-2023, 04:29 PM   #2
pavloPL
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 M Sport 40i

That is a hard time to buy a new car now. The similar shock if doing remortgage. 4.9% apr is actually amazing, mostly there is 9% apr and going to be higher as base rate is raising…
Higher purchase price + lower discounts + higher borrowing makes it significantly expensive.

The good thing apparently is that gap to Porsche Cayenne is basically gone. You can have similarly speced 30d to base cayenne.
I love my x5 and I am in position to upgrade but I think taking current situation is good moment to research the market.
six377.00
      08-20-2023, 06:03 AM   #3
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for reply, my sentiment completely, like you I can change, but why should I, I know the challenges out there, but I question what is a BMW is worth?
Have had so many over a 28yr period and I have been here before.
I bought my first BMW because the car I wanted at the time 1995 !( Vauxhall omega 3.0 sv) was so poor on it residuals it woke me up to the premium brands.
Now all these years later I am in the same situation with BMW, and you are completely right Porsche now seem affordable and more importantly a better all round purchase to me !
I know interest rates, Covid, supply chain and employment cost have gone up, but the brutal facts are a BMW doesn’t retain its value, and if I sign up now to a new shiny new one, I will regret it.
So it’s time to shop around or wait , having already been to Porsche, I know they are definitely feeding off this and enjoying it .
I will never say never. But here in the UK the car stock is unbalanced, a lot of iX’s & electric stock, my local dealer has 6 iX1’s in and 3iX’s in the show room, the sales men were tearing their hair out!
The tide is turning and dealers are now seeing there ICE stock months away ( on there way from factories)without the interest they had from customers, because of the ridiculous deals.
Several have said it’s difficult at the moment, to find buyers at both ends of the market.
So supply will catch up with demand and BMW will have to come to the party soon, let’s hope I not changed brand by then!
Apologies for the rant!
Appreciate 1
six377.00
      08-20-2023, 08:06 AM   #4
FIOSCH
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Mercedes GLE 350 de

Think you’re wise to be cautious and bide your time since market forces could well require an adjustment to make the X5 more affordable. As pointed out, price wise currently there’s not much difference between it and the Porsche Cayenne residual value of which likely to be better. And the Cayenne being more customisable does make it easier to specify exactly what you want, without having to take all the features that BMW (at least in the UK) includes in their various packs, which tends to increase the price.

Having in May come close to taking delivery of the 50e that I’d ordered in February but cancelled for a number of reasons relating to aspects of the build that I’d become dissatisfied with, and doubts as to OS 8.5 compatibility, decided in the circumstances to delay placing another order until the end of this year, or early next.

Whilst the 50e does remain my preferred choice (or if not that then the LCI 40d perhaps) I’m keeping an open mind, and having now heard from my local Porsche dealership that they’ll have Cayenne e-Hybrid demonstrators available for test drive from next month, will certainly be taking them up on that, followed hopefully by further test drive of the 50e, before I make final decision. A factor in that will be whether Integral Active Steering becomes available again on the M Sport models - if not that may sway me towards the Cayenne on which rear wheel steering can be specified.
Appreciate 1
six377.00
      08-20-2023, 08:27 AM   #5
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks I think wise advice, I too have the 50e as a possible, but most of my travelling is motorway and unsure there’s much benefit from charging it and filling it up every two mins.
My bro in law has a 45e and he said it’s just drinks juice if driven enthusiastically, by saying that he very rarely charges it at home ( company car), the small tank seems to be a contributing factor.
I have also considered a 40d Lci, makes more sense, i using my wife’s 30d no Lci but it’s a OCT 22 so has the new semi hybrid start thing. Fuel consumption is good, I regularly travel from Liverpool we’re I live to Christchurch on the south coast 264 miles each way, so diesel makes sense, but 40d may feel less of a car than the 50d I have, but that could just be vanity!!
But your point on 4 wheel steer is valid I have it on mine and it does make a huge difference, standard on 60!
Thanks again for your input
Appreciate 1
six377.00
      08-20-2023, 09:23 AM   #6
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Glad you guys have piped up with these posts! Spent the last few months in decreasing circles trying to find a way to move on from my current X5. Love the X5, this is my third and I’d buy another in a snap. But it feels like the way forward on BMW is closed currently. They are flapping like mad trying to shift EV’s in a market that doesn’t seem remotely interested. The smaller and defocused supply of ICE or PHEV’s such as the X5’s has zero manufacturer support these days, combine that with the APR’s and residuals and it’s toxic

As has correctly been pointed out, BMW residuals are poor. I’ve crossed compared with GLE and RRS and they are much better. Actually I don’t want either, I just want a like for like swap for my current X5 and a few extra bits. However, no way am I paying up almost list price for a BMW!

Cayenne is most definitely a way forward in this current market and it’s very refreshing to be able to spec the car exactly to personal preference. The packs approach BMW are taking on the X5 is the worst of all options. They depreciate to zero over 3-4 years but they add an awful lot to the ticket price. We want rear blinds but are not remotely interested in the stupid air freshener thing or massage seats

So I’m at a dead end with BMW for the first time in 15 years (where I’ve pretty much changed every 2-3 years). I will look at the Cayenne in more detail, the X5 is perfect for me but not getting sucked into buying now.

Also I’ve noticed there might be some sort of informal cartel type collusion going on in the UK market between the German brands. I think they all want to move away from volume supply and discounting to lower volumes and much less discounting and seem to be working in lockstep to force the market in that direction. Will they hold fast and win out or will one break rank!?

Also to pour oil on troubled water we have Mercedes and Volvo trying to move to direct sales which will inevitably change the UK market landscape.

Anyway glad it's not just me in this situation
Appreciate 2
13 NF135.50
mobilejo1114.50
      08-20-2023, 09:54 AM   #7
FIOSCH
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Mercedes GLE 350 de

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 NF View Post
Thanks I think wise advice, I too have the 50e as a possible, but most of my travelling is motorway and unsure there’s much benefit from charging it and filling it up every two mins.
My bro in law has a 45e and he said it’s just drinks juice if driven enthusiastically, by saying that he very rarely charges it at home ( company car), the small tank seems to be a contributing factor.
I have also considered a 40d Lci, makes more sense, i using my wife’s 30d no Lci but it’s a OCT 22 so has the new semi hybrid start thing. Fuel consumption is good, I regularly travel from Liverpool we’re I live to Christchurch on the south coast 264 miles each way, so diesel makes sense, but 40d may feel less of a car than the 50d I have, but that could just be vanity!!
But your point on 4 wheel steer is valid I have it on mine and it does make a huge difference, standard on 60!
Thanks again for your input
Don’t know if you picked up from another thread that the IAS option has just become available to order on the 40d in Belgium and Germany. Not yet on the UK configurator but maybe in the pipeline - I’m making enquiries with a dealer to try to find out and will post again if that turns out to be the case.

For my use, typically 20-40 mile journeys, and with 7.0 kW charge point at home, 50e makes sense, though do tow a caravan so for that 40d would be preferable and really like the straight six diesel engine - have had three BMWs with that and very much appreciated the performance and economy.

Definitely therefore will consider the 40d, which with the LCI improvements, power of the 40d (352hp) and the torque (720nm) performance would be close to that of the F15 M50d wouldn’t it? And with the mild hybrid, lower fuel consumption and smoother stop/start I should think. But does not of course have the cachet of the ‘M’ prefix!
Appreciate 1
six377.00
      08-20-2023, 11:25 AM   #8
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I completely agree with everything said, I think there is a wish to go niche low volume high profit but neither MB, Audi or BMW can operate in this manner their products are good but not exclusive.
The packages are ridiculous, the car I looked at had comfort and comfort plus, £8200 in extras plus tech pack etc, the stuff you need isn’t available or separate on top of the packages 97k !!.
I think they all liked the Covid period were people had money to spend and demand outstripped supply and frankly they exploited this, now all western economies are going in different ways they won’t have that luxury.
But they still want to hold on to their high profits.
Time will tell I may be wrong, but as mentioned market forces will prevail, people will just go up a brand or settle for lesser brand.
I agree the 40d LCI may be my choice, that engine is epic, and as I found with my wife’s 30d the electric bit really gives it a new lease of life, I been driving round in it thinking why do I need anything else!
I think I bought my 50d’s because they were fully loaded and cost £ a few thousand more, previously I had 40ds and was very happy.
Very much appreciate everyone’s input , knowing I am not on my own in my disappointment of my brand BMW.
Appreciate 1
six377.00
      08-20-2023, 01:12 PM   #9
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIOSCH View Post
Don’t know if you picked up from another thread that the IAS option has just become available to order on the 40d in Belgium and Germany. Not yet on the UK configurator but maybe in the pipeline - I’m making enquiries with a dealer to try to find out and will post again if that turns out to be the case.

For my use, typically 20-40 mile journeys, and with 7.0 kW charge point at home, 50e makes sense, though do tow a caravan so for that 40d would be preferable and really like the straight six diesel engine - have had three BMWs with that and very much appreciated the performance and economy.

Definitely therefore will consider the 40d, which with the LCI improvements, power of the 40d (352hp) and the torque (720nm) performance would be close to that of the F15 M50d wouldn’t it? And with the mild hybrid, lower fuel consumption and smoother stop/start I should think. But does not of course have the cachet of the ‘M’ prefix!
I have the IAS option for first time on my X5 and don't notice any difference from previous G05 without it. Only specced because to get air suspension on M50i also had to add IAS.
Appreciate 1
six377.00
      08-20-2023, 01:16 PM   #10
BMPHIL
Major
Rep

Quote:
I completely agree with everything said, I think there is a wish to go niche low volume high profit but neither MB, Audi or BMW can operate in this manner their products are good but not exclusive.
The packages are ridiculous, the car I looked at had comfort and comfort plus, £8200 in extras plus tech pack etc, the stuff you need isn’t available or separate on top of the packages 97k !!.
I think they all liked the Covid period were people had money to spend and demand outstripped supply and frankly they exploited this, now all western economies are going in different ways they won’t have that luxury.
But they still want to hold on to their high profits.
Time will tell I may be wrong, but as mentioned market forces will prevail, people will just go up a brand or settle for lesser brand.
I agree the 40d LCI may be my choice, that engine is epic, and as I found with my wife’s 30d the electric bit really gives it a new lease of life, I been driving round in it thinking why do I need anything else!
I think I bought my 50d’s because they were fully loaded and cost £ a few thousand more, previously I had 40ds and was very happy.
Very much appreciate everyone’s input , knowing I am not on my own in my disappointment of my brand BMW.
The covid period supply shortage was nothing to do with people having money it was to do with parts shortages and not being able to build cars, this applied to all manufacturers.
Appreciate 1
six377.00
      08-20-2023, 01:27 PM   #11
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
I have the IAS option for first time on my X5 and don't notice any difference from previous G05 without it. Only specced because to get air suspension on M50i also had to add IAS.
Interesting how we are different. I didn’t have it on my previous X5 and have it on my current but I wouldn’t have another without it. I regularly park in an underground carpark and it makes all the difference on the crazy, built for the 70’s, ramps

Parking and manoeuvring is where I get the most benefit but day to day I think the car seems like a size smaller in general use, well worth the money to me, if you can get it
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 02:32 PM   #12
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks BMPHIL
The Covid comment was really meant immediately Post Covid when we all had restrictions in place, but they were slowly lifting, 2021 of course there were supply issues ( chips in particular) but all companies clued on to the general public having money due to not holidaying moving house etc.
What I am saying due to slow/restricted supply the confidence to charge more was accepted by us the customers, the idea of more bespoke products that customers paid for we accepted. Basic supply and demand.
Increased Interest rates and inflation wasn’t on the horizon yet.
BMW were not on their own, slow down the supply can drive demand given the right conditions, post Covid was the perfect oppurtunity.
It’s now 2023 supplies are getting better but the rest is history . BMW aren’t on there own
With their current pricing strategy.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 04:17 PM   #13
BMPHIL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks BMPHIL
The Covid comment was really meant immediately Post Covid when we all had restrictions in place, but they were slowly lifting, 2021 of course there were supply issues ( chips in particular) but all companies clued on to the general public having money due to not holidaying moving house etc.
What I am saying due to slow/restricted supply the confidence to charge more was accepted by us the customers, the idea of more bespoke products that customers paid for we accepted. Basic supply and demand.
Increased Interest rates and inflation wasn’t on the horizon yet.
BMW were not on their own, slow down the supply can drive demand given the right conditions, post Covid was the perfect oppurtunity.
It’s now 2023 supplies are getting better but the rest is history . BMW aren’t on there own
With their current pricing strategy.
Agree prices are crazy at moment, trouble is while we continue to buy the cars they will continue to increase the prices.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 04:58 PM   #14
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Completely agree
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 08:04 AM   #15
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

A little late to the story, but absolutely. I think it's a number of factors. APRs are so much higher than when I bought my previous cars. I understand that interest rates were up, but when we cross-shopped, Cayenne APR was lower.
Prices up. Waaaay up. Discounts are way down. So there is c. £20k gap between then and now I suspect.
So even with £12k equity, and putting in another £12k, we were being quoted a monthly close to double. As others pointed out, the leap to Cayenne was negligible - more for the same less than a straight swap to what I have now.
I would also say my local dealer has changed hands, and they're proving impossible to buy from. Won't bore you here, but after 8 months of trying, we ended up buying the car and will buy elsewhere once we've moved.
Appreciate 0