BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-08-2023, 01:10 PM   #45
bnlmaster
Rep
Drives: 520d, X5 50e

Indeed, apparently this faulty EME created a whole bunch of errors in the other BUS units, which made the root cause hard to find.

Glad they just got approval from BMW to just change the whole gearbox to mitigate the risk of happening it again.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 02:22 PM   #46
RNDe
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnlmaster View Post
Indeed, apparently this faulty EME created a whole bunch of errors in the other BUS units, which made the root cause hard to find.

Glad they just got approval from BMW to just change the whole gearbox to mitigate the risk of happening it again.
Same! What sort of timeframe did you get for the transmission? Hopefully it arrives soon and neither of us has any more trouble once they are installed!!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 03:27 PM   #47
bnlmaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDe View Post
Same! What sort of timeframe did you get for the transmission? Hopefully it arrives soon and neither of us has any more trouble once they are installed!!
After the permission was given to install a new gearbox this morning by BMW, the new one was ordered immediately by the dealership.

Gearbox will arrive tomorrow morning and will take a couple of days to install, mainly because this is their first install on a 50e.

Living in Belgium, which is next to Germany, don't know if it has something to do with this fast delivery.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 03:39 PM   #48
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnlmaster View Post
After the permission was given to install a new gearbox this morning by BMW, the new one was ordered immediately by the dealership.

Gearbox will arrive tomorrow morning and will take a couple of days to install, mainly because this is their first install on a 50e.

Living in Belgium, which is next to Germany, don't know if it has something to do with this fast delivery.
So many problems. I’m almost afraid to collect my 50e in two weeks…

What dealer in Belgium?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 04:22 PM   #49
bnlmaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
So many problems. I’m almost afraid to collect my 50e in two weeks…

What dealer in Belgium?
A&M Hasselt

Shouldn't be too afraid, shit just happens sometimes with new cars.
I think the dealers should be more afraid than we as a customer as they get into those shitty situations due to faulty electronics.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 05:51 PM   #50
Black Beauty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F150 4x4 FX4 Hybrid

Hi all, and yes, this just happened to our BMW X5 50e this morning. Has 326 miles fully charged, backed out of the garage and the malfunction happened. Dead as a door nail, call BMW roadside and then the code cleared and the vehicle started. I have sent an email to our dealership rep, plus I will call him tomorrow morning when they open.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 09:49 AM   #51
Black Beauty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F150 4x4 FX4 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty View Post
Hi all, and yes, this just happened to our BMW X5 50e this morning. Has 326 miles fully charged, backed out of the garage and the malfunction happened. Dead as a door nail, call BMW roadside and then the code cleared and the vehicle started. I have sent an email to our dealership rep, plus I will call him tomorrow morning when they open.
Checked our X5 and started up contacted BMW the tech remoted in to perform a diag and noticed a code was thrown but doesn't know why. The tech did state this is common code that is being thrown that could be for various reasons.
The X5 checked out okay and safe to drive, I did ask about me taking it to the dealership. The tech stated not at this time since the code is cleared and the vehicle is operating okay. If it happens again take a photo and take the vehicle to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 12:55 PM   #52
Cikay
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Hi,

same on my brand new (20 miles) M60i. Just drove it for 2 miles then the Drivetrain error spotted. More than upset for a new 125k€ car... The X5 is at the dealer now, I'm waiting for their feedback.
Appreciate 1
radmjk240.50
      08-21-2023, 01:42 PM   #53
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurker View Post
So, LCI owners not only paid 10-20% more vs pre-LCI, miss hardware buttons, but also suffer from these issues. Nice move, BMW.
Yeah, that would be the effect of 40 yr high inflation, nearly 20% over the past 2 1/2 years that has made everything much more costly if you haven't noticed, new BMWs included.
Personally not missing any buttons as there are still to damn many of them everywhere.
Couldn't be more pleased with the LCI M60i and have had no problems. So many upgrades and refinements #1 of which has to be the M level S68 TT V8 engine which is an absolute dream.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 02:25 PM   #54
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2020 RRS SE, 201

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cikay View Post
Hi,

same on my brand new (20 miles) M60i. Just drove it for 2 miles then the Drivetrain error spotted. More than upset for a new 125k€ car... The X5 is at the dealer now, I'm waiting for their feedback.
I completely understand your frustration and I feel bad for you! Been there! Mine was at dealer for 15 days and then another day to get it back to me from about 560 miles away where it broke down. They replaced a drivetrain module. Seems to be okay now.
2017 BMW 530i xDrive Black
2005 BMW Z4 2.5i Jet Black
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 11:27 AM   #55
Jimmy V
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 x50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy V View Post
We heard back from BMW Service this morning. The problem is with t he failure of the A/C Shutoff Valve. The component has been ordered from Germany, no ETA. I assume the A/C is used to cool the Hybrid Batteries hence the total system shutdown…
Overall, this was a painful experience! August 21 (83 Days in Repair) Received text message that our auto was repaired and ready for pickup. These were the primary components replaced during the repair; 64-50-5-A0F-0D0 - Expansionsventil Valve, 61-27-9-797-818 - Cell Monitoring Sircuit (CSC), 61-27-8-864-124 - Memory Management Electronic (SME). Tested HV wiring and rebalanced HV Cells. Recharged coolant system and successfully ran diagnostic programs. Conducted 25 mile test drive with no issues.
Appreciate 1
radmjk240.50
      08-26-2023, 08:56 PM   #56
alison62
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5 50e

Garage List
2024 bmw x5 50e  [10.00]
Has anyone had issues w brakes when wet? I felt like I wasn’t going to stop.
This car has been in shop three times.
The Ac vale needs replacing due to check engine light. Today I had high voltage malfunction code and drivetrain code.
This is killing me! Watched it get towed away. Told them don’t bring me back that car.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 12:03 AM   #57
Papi'sBMW
Rep
Drives: 2024X5 50e 2015 328i

less than 2 weeks into X5 50e ownership (550 mi) experienced the "Drivetrain Malfunction" and no ability to move the car. took roadside assistance 12 + hours to get a tow truck to the house (fortunately not actually roadside) and watched the car get dragged out of the garage and taken away. Tow truck driver couldn't have been nicer and tried hard to get it restarted (attempted jumping, etc) and nothing worked. He stated that the day prior he had the same issue on another X5 50e and he was able to restart it and the owner could drive it in. not so much for us. I'll update but no feedback from the dealer at all yet (24 hours in their hands). Absolutely loved it until yesterday...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 01:32 PM   #58
gsquare
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi'sBMW View Post
less than 2 weeks into X5 50e ownership (550 mi) experienced the "Drivetrain Malfunction" and no ability to move the car. took roadside assistance 12 + hours to get a tow truck to the house (fortunately not actually roadside) and watched the car get dragged out of the garage and taken away. Tow truck driver couldn't have been nicer and tried hard to get it restarted (attempted jumping, etc) and nothing worked. He stated that the day prior he had the same issue on another X5 50e and he was able to restart it and the owner could drive it in. not so much for us. I'll update but no feedback from the dealer at all yet (24 hours in their hands). Absolutely loved it until yesterday...
I’d be willing to bet that the Combined Charging Unit will require replacement. The new version of the unit (61-44-5-B32-BC9) is available. I just got my X5 50e back after an identical failure. Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 02:34 PM   #59
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

I posted in another thread that I had the Drivetrain Malfunction warning flash on my screen for about 3 seconds yesterday when I unlocked the driver's door and sat down. Before I tried to start it or do anything else, it went away and the car started and drove normally, as it has today.

Is this a message that would only appear when you try to start the car? I'm wondering if this was just a weird glitch or if I can expect more trouble later on.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 05:50 PM   #60
Steve737
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50E sold, BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi'sBMW View Post
Same thing happened to me on last Friday. Totally bricked. I guess luckily my 12v battery died and I was able to jumpstart it to get it to the dealership. Two days now and they are still trying to figure it out. I feel like I’m more knowledgeable than those at the dealership because of this forum. I guess I’ll just let them go though the process and see how it goes. I’m sure it will get resolved but I’m definitely documenting everything just in case.
      10-19-2023, 07:41 PM   #61
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve737 View Post
Same thing happened to me on last Friday. Totally bricked. I guess luckily my 12v battery died and I was able to jumpstart it to get it to the dealership. Two days now and they are still trying to figure it out. I feel like I’m more knowledgeable than those at the dealership because of this forum. I guess I’ll just let them go though the process and see how it goes. I’m sure it will get resolved but I’m definitely documenting everything just in case.
A dead battery will throw a drivetrain malfunction? And how do you safely jump start a dead battery in a hybrid?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 08:48 PM   #62
Steve737
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50E sold, BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
A dead battery will throw a drivetrain malfunction? And how do you safely jump start a dead battery in a hybrid?
It’s in the manual and basically just like a non hybrid. I used my start box and there is a positive post that’s easy to see and a negative post that is somewhat hard to see because it’s under the passenger side front fender fairing. I put the car in sport and the engine fired right up. The dead 12volt battery did not cause the drivetrain malfunction. The drivetrain malfunction caused the 12v battery to die. Not totally sure why because I was on a trip when the drivetrain malfunction happened so not sure if the car wouldn’t go to sleep or why that happened. When I got home three days later it was totally dead. Only read 5 volts on my meter.
      10-19-2023, 08:50 PM   #63
Papi'sBMW
Rep

I don't understand the interplay between the 12v and the Li Ion battery but seems crazy that the 12v died while charging the other. I have to play around with the car and figure out how to stop it from "waking up" every time I walk by the garage as I have the key function in the app turned on and who knows, maybe that drains the 12v turning on and off every 10 min seemingly (exaggeration) but the garage is right next to our kitchen.?? i see the lights come on and a beep every time I walk by. I guess I'll turn off the comfort access feature and see if the battery lives longer.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 08:56 PM   #64
Papi'sBMW
Rep

The dealer is claiming so far that the 12v died and that was the problem leading to the drivetrain malfunction. I am very suspicious as we tried jumping and starting in sport mode etc and no luck. I am suspicious of the simple fix but if it's running I'll take it back and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 09:12 PM   #65
mysore
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cikay View Post
Hi,

What build week is your M60i?

I don’t recall having seen a post related to drive train on M60
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 09:37 PM   #66
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

With others reporting that a replacement of the combined charging unit (CCU) solved the issue, maybe the issue is that the 12 V battery is not being charged properly?

It seems odd that cars this new would have a dead 12 V battery from natural causes already…
Appreciate 0