nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFan78 View Post
Thanks. So you would not recommend the extra $500 for the wireless phone charger and mobile hotspot?
for clarification, the $500 wireless charger option doesn't include mobile hotspot. that's a separate feature. you're confusing this with the LTE compensator (booster) which is included with the wireless charger option. this component has been useful for some owners, so it's advised not to decline this option based solely on the subpar performance of the wireless charger

Last edited by nZtiZia; 12-23-2022 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 01:26 PM   #24
CarFan78
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Acura RDX, Toyota Sequoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Not worth it for me. If I were to do it over again, I will spend that $500 somewhere else.
Ok, this car is for my wife and I am thinking of the following add ons:

20" tires
Climate comfort package
Rear Windowshades
Possibly running boards
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 01:34 PM   #25
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. Again I am a newbie to some of these options available. I do not see air suspension or acoustic glass as an option on the 45e configurator. Am I missing something?
i mentioned this already
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=11
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 05:16 PM   #26
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Other than looks, unless you're tracking your vehicle, larger tires/wheels are primarily eye candy. The taller sidewalls of the OEM stock 19" wheels give a better ride, cost less to replace, and are easier to find when the time comes. They may not work if you opt for one of the performance braking options, but again, unless you're tracking the vehicle, pulling a trailer, or live in the mountains, not going to gain you much. Most people don't press the brakes hard enough in an emergency, but all of the brake choices can lock up the wheels (activating ABS), and then, the only differences are in what tires you have.

If you're carrying people in the rear, and they're old enough, you might want the four-zone HVAC so they can control their own temperatures along with maybe rear heated seats.

All vehicles have a backup camera, but having the parking package gives you a 3-D top-down view that can be handy.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 09:13 PM   #27
ST3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Ok, this car is for my wife and I am thinking of the following add ons:

20" tires
Climate comfort package
Rear Windowshades
Possibly running boards
I personally don’t think the running boards are effective for anything other than getting your pants dirty. We had a rental X5 with them on and were super disappointed. Maybe others have a different perspective.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 10:42 PM   #28
X6ix GTA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST3 View Post
I personally don’t think the running boards are effective for anything other than getting your pants dirty. We had a rental X5 with them on and were super disappointed. Maybe others have a different perspective.
If the side skirts on an X5 are similar to the ones on X6 then I'd strongly suggest getting the running boards. My pants rub against the dirt prone side skirts every time I get in or out of our X6 and my kids use them as a step stool to climb in or or .
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 12:39 AM   #29
wbeemer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5 45EEEEEE

If you can charge your car every night. The price per mile driving is definitely lower for 45e. But not everyone has a garage. Testifying as a 45e owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
this aspect alone , i agree. basically hybrid drive train is more efficient. but don't forget 45e is 800lb(?) heavier, so the sum is a lost. official epa reflect that. i think 40i owners reported agreeing result.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 12:49 AM   #30
wbeemer
Private First Class
Rep

The best things for 45e are:
1. Air suspension. Best riding quality among BMW.
2. Pre heating / cooling without burning gas (you need this if you park your vehicle inside.)
3. Reduced gas usage -> lower cost per mile, tax incentive, better for the climate. (not everyone cares about this, but I do. We send too much money to the sand monkeys in the middle west for this bullshit)
4. Instant torque
5. Easier on the brake pads. Honestly, I almost never have to brake unless I want some spirited driving. They might last 3-4 times longer than my gas vehicle.
6. It's awesome for camping. Using the battery-hold mode, I can sleep in the car with full AC.

Downsides:
1. It's heavier. So definitely not good for tracks.
2. I can't see engine rpm unless in the sports manual. What a waste for the b58.
3. Can't rev engine

All in all, I would buy another 45e if I had the money.

Last edited by wbeemer; 12-24-2022 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: improve wording
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 12:58 AM   #31
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The cost per mile will depend on the costs of both the liquid fuel and your electricity costs...so EV mode might be cheaper, or more expensive, but if you charge from home, the convenience is worth it to me. The second biggest thing is the ability to precondition while parked in my garage. Third, it just drives nicely! While it's heavier than the 40i, the power:weight ratios are essentially identical, so there's no penalty and the instant torque is nice. With the ICE and gearbox detuned, at the same road speeds, the 45e's ICE is turning slower than the 40i, which means lower noise, fuel consumption, and likely longevity which becomes important if you're one to keep your vehicle long-term...not so much if you lease or trade frequently. If you've exhausted the HV battery, the 45e on a longer trip is slightly less efficient, but can make that up if you can recharge it during stop and go.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 01:17 AM   #32
wbeemer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The cost per mile will depend on the costs of both the liquid fuel and your electricity costs...so EV mode might be cheaper, or more expensive, but if you charge from home, the convenience is worth it to me. The second biggest thing is the ability to precondition while parked in my garage. Third, it just drives nicely! While it's heavier than the 40i, the power:weight ratios are essentially identical, so there's no penalty and the instant torque is nice. With the ICE and gearbox detuned, at the same road speeds, the 45e's ICE is turning slower than the 40i, which means lower noise, fuel consumption, and likely longevity which becomes important if you're one to keep your vehicle long-term...not so much if you lease or trade frequently. If you've exhausted the HV battery, the 45e on a longer trip is slightly less efficient, but can make that up if you can recharge it during stop and go.
I guess it depends on how much the electricity costs. I did a calculation comparing electric only(45e) vs gas only(40i). Electric only is roughly 1/3 the cost per mile on electric at my rate of 0.11 / kwh.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 07:55 AM   #33
AMTUP1991
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
The 45e has a higher final drive ratio and a higher 8th gear, so doesn’t it technically run at a higher RPM on the highway at the same speed as the 40i would? I’ve read posts where people are claiming low 20s on the highway when traveling in the 45e. Just asking for clarification.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 08:44 AM   #34
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMTUP1991 View Post
The 45e has a higher final drive ratio and a higher 8th gear, so doesn’t it technically run at a higher RPM on the highway at the same speed as the 40i would? I’ve read posts where people are claiming low 20s on the highway when traveling in the 45e. Just asking for clarification.
My 45e consistently gets in the HIGH 20s on the highway, even with a nearly depleted battery. 27-28 typically. Higher if it's on a downgrade.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 08:47 AM   #35
Garycoral
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60 / 45e

I've had both the 40i and now on our 2nd 45e... For us it's 45e all the way - Even without the EV Credit I'd be buying the 45e.

If I were the OP, I'd be hard after one before the 12/31 deadline and save the extra $7500 too! Heck, with it being year-end and the economy slowing, you might even get some discounting thrown in!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 08:52 AM   #36
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garycoral View Post
I've had both the 40i and now on our 2nd 45e... For us it's 45e all the way - Even without the EV Credit I'd be buying the 45e.

If I were the OP, I'd be hard after one before the 12/31 deadline and save the extra $7500 too! Heck, with it being year-end and the economy slowing, you might even get some discounting thrown in!
with the rule delay, qualified purchases could be extended through March 2023
https://fortune.com/2022/12/21/infla...-before-march/
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 11:17 AM   #37
Scientifix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

I’m seeing the number of available X5 45e’s on sites like BMW herb chambers in Boston has gone up. It used to be around 3-4 and today I see 9. Now this is not a guarantee that they are really available, site may not be up to date but the fact the number is increasing is noteworthy
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 11:58 AM   #38
AbleDanger
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 X45e

Garage List
2023 BMW X5 45e  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
with the rule delay, qualified purchases could be extended through March 2023
https://fortune.com/2022/12/21/infla...-before-march/
Assuming you meet the income limit & MSRP cap. If you do, then that's fantastic - no need to do like others (myself included) did to rush towards the end of the year.
Appreciate 1
cptcolo103.50
      12-24-2022, 12:29 PM   #39
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMTUP1991 View Post
Yes. You are correct. Smaller number = “taller”. lower rpm. 40i is 3.39. 45e is 3.64. If all gears in ZF have the same ratio, then 40i will have lower rpm at the same speed.

To the ZF. 6th gears in both are direct drive 1:1 ratio. Below 6th, 40i has shorter ratios (larger number). Above 6th, 40i has taller ratio (smaller numbers). Overall, 40i has wider spread of gears. We can do some math for below 6th. But at 6-8th, 45e will have higher rpm at the same speed because both gear ratio and final ratio are “shorter”
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 04:07 PM   #40
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The 40i and 45e have a different rear differential, so, I've had trouble finding the final drive ratio, but the transmissions are different throughout the gear range.

Last edited by jad03060; 12-24-2022 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 07:25 PM   #41
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The 40i and 45e have a different rear differential, so, I've had trouble finding the final drive ratio, but the transmissions are different throughout the gear range.
For once, I read the technical spec into a bit more detail than you. 1 minute google search for "45e gear ratio", and "technical spec for g05 40i"

Then we have to also see if this make sense. 45e is 800lb heavier, it is very natural to have shorter gear ratio than the lighter 40i, specially at the top end. Otherwise, the 8th gear will become useless, any small acceleration will kit it down to 7th.

As to the so called "detune" 45e engine. I actually don't think it is simply detune. The max torque of 40i and 45e ICE seem to be the same, but if I have to make a wild guess, 45e will reach max torque at lower RPM. I don't have time to look up torque/HP curve for side by side comparison. But everything has a catch, reaching peak torque at lower RPM means torque will drop off soon. This also mean lower peak HP. This also explain why ECU is set to lower red light, because there is no reason to raise redline if torque is already drop off enough. So the so called detuning isn't a detune, but a remap to handle a heavier car, causing drop in HP.
Attached Images

12-24-2022, 07:30 PM   #42
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbeemer View Post
If you can charge your car every night. The price per mile driving is definitely lower for 45e. But not everyone has a garage. Testifying as a 45e owner.
It depend on where you are/electricity rate. For me, at current gas price, EV at home charging definitely don't win over ICE. I am also a 45e owner. I am paying $0.48/kWh for winter, and $0.55/kWh for summer here
      12-25-2022, 12:12 AM   #43
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Even though the 45e is heavier, the power:weight ratios are essentially identical, and the torque comes on earlier with the 45e.

Regardless, for my use pattern, the 45e ends up being the better choice and while the gas vs electric cost varies based on the price fluctuations of the energy used, the convenience of almost never having to stop for gas is an advantage.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 12:43 AM   #44
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Even though the 45e is heavier, the power:weight ratios are essentially identical, and the torque comes on earlier with the 45e.

Regardless, for my use pattern, the 45e ends up being the better choice and while the gas vs electric cost varies based on the price fluctuations of the energy used, the convenience of almost never having to stop for gas is an advantage.
If i see this more logically, if you fill up once a year, why not EV? Obviously EV range will cover the range if that one tank is a single round trip.

So I do want potential buyers to see it this way. Sure everyone has range anxiety, but in practice, does that ever materialize? Even if it does, how many times? Of 1 time in a year thing. I would just rent a car for such a trip.

But then this give electricity rate make sense. In CA, most EV buyers are just drinking EV coolaid.
Appreciate 0