BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
Yogujuhere
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, M850i Coupe

Wheel and Tire Package through BMW

Hey people, I should be picking my car up in a month and I'm preparing.

I'm hearing that wheel and tire damage warranty coverage costs anywhere from $950 all the way to $3000 depending on wheel size? Thats a big spread. What did you guys pay?

Anybody have experience with this? I have the 22" wheels and NY roads to deal with, hoping there's a way to get a solid number on these.
The convenience of having them repair the wheels when I drop off the car for service is really nice.

Can these policies that BMW dealers honor be bought via other dealers?
I hear there's a huge markup on these policies.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 11:28 PM   #2
Esotericlifestyle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x6 M50i

I would definitely get the insurance! I live in NYC, have it currently with my 22s, and on my past 2 BMWs, through Rallye BMW. They may not be the cheapest, but they absolutely make the repair seamless and as little of a headache as possible.

Cant remember how much my plan was this time around since I got it through a lease broker but I would recommend getting whatever the agreed number is rolled into your lease payments. I believe my company is AutoXcel.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 06:38 AM   #3
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

I was quoted $1800 for the package which included cosmetic coverage. I have the 22s and I declined it. I live in the Milwaukee area and our city streets are garbage in many areas (looking at you, snow plows). I have the air suspension and I've been pleasantly surprised at how much the car just absorbs potholes. Not sure if that even makes a difference though but in my mind it does so I'll continue to be happily ignorant in that department...LOL

I've had really good luck with some local dent and ding removal services over the years. I haven't used any rim repair services so far (knocks on wood) but there are a couple around with great reviews and all seem to comment on how reasonably priced they are. I bring up the dent and ding guys because anytime I've had to use them I just call or text and it's always same or next day service. My BMW center on the other hand...not so much. They do a great job but scheduling always seems to be weeks out and if I want to schedule over the phone I feel like I always need to leave a message and wait for a returned call since the advisors are so busy.

If you have a good service advisor that you trust might not be a bad idea to ask them their experience with their rim repair. My advisor has always been a straight shooter with me. When I inquired about winter tires a couple of months ago he just told me to TireRack them myself and bring them to him versus buying from them and spending much more for the same thing - which I appreciated a lot.

But I guess as always, YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 11:08 PM   #4
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

When I was shopping for my current car, the g05 x5 was on the list. Wound up with the x3m. 21 inch staggered wheels, with Michelin pilot sport 4s tires. 2400 for three years is what I was quoted.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 07:13 AM   #5
mspete75
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 24' i760m 20' X6M50 19' X5M

I have recently purchased for my X6 with 21". The plan was $2800 and includes wheels and tires and cosmetic repair with no deductible. On my prior X6 and my wifes current X5 we also have coverage and it was $2300 but a $50 deductible each time. Like many in the northeast potholes are horrible and I've ruined plenty of tires. Based on the price of tires and how many replacements I've gotten and will get I think it's a break-even plan. Not to mention with nails they replace they don't plug. Feel like with all that coverage, the price of wheels and tires, and just piece of mind - it's worth it. But I always buy the extended warranty on expensive stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 08:05 AM   #6
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

I paid $1658 for mine. I have the 20" All-Season RFTs due to living in pothole nation. This was an easy pick, since the M3 was about $4,000. The best part, I don't have to constantly use Waze and swerve like a maniac. I am still very careful, but this is a great piece of mind. In the end, it is nothing for an $85k+ vehicle. I wish it covered alignments lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 08:23 AM   #7
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

They quoted me close to $3000 and I ended up paying about $1500. The dealer finance guy that does the paperwork gets whatever you pay over cost, so it's very negotiable. I had a bolt go through my tire while on vacation and it covered it, but it was a huge hassle to find the same model tire, which I insisted on since it only had 2500 miles on it.
Coverage is through EPG tire and wheel protection.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:29 AM   #8
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Dumb question, but let's say you get the 3 year warranty...it stays with you the entire time? They don't pull some weird stuff when you get new tires if you hit that mark at let's say 2 year?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:36 AM   #9
mspete75
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 24' i760m 20' X6M50 19' X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Dumb question, but let's say you get the 3 year warranty...it stays with you the entire time? They don't pull some weird stuff when you get new tires if you hit that mark at let's say 2 year?
Yes, stays with you! Mine even covers snow wheels/tires if I swap during the winter season. It's a pretty inclusive plan. Yes, someone is making money, but like someone else stated, it's nice piece of mind. Not having to fork over $500+ bucks due to a pothole.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #10
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

mspete75 Awesome, and agreed! I couldn't stand my last vehicle without it...I was constantly dodging anything in the road that looked iffy. Now, I feel I can just relax, cruise, and enjoy the X5!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #11
Dagwag77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW X5 M50i, '19 430i Conv

I got several times the value out of the tire and wheel insurance plan I took out on my '17 750. The 750 didn't come with a spare and I was getting so many flats I purchased and kept a full size spare in the trunk. My SA still can't believe how many tires I went through... Very happy to have a factory spare in the x5.

Pricing for the insurance on the 750 and x5 were similar - mid $1400.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 01:02 PM   #12
DENtoLAS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrr View Post
They quoted me close to $3000 and I ended up paying about $1500. The dealer finance guy that does the paperwork gets whatever you pay over cost, so it's very negotiable. I had a bolt go through my tire while on vacation and it covered it, but it was a huge hassle to find the same model tire, which I insisted on since it only had 2500 miles on it.
Coverage is through EPG tire and wheel protection.
How many years? Also, did it include cosmetic?
Appreciate 0