SHARMAATL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Vernasca is also split corrected leather, coated, fine gain surface embossed with synthetic top coat. Touching the surface of Vernasca, you can tell it's been surface treated. The grain closely matches SensaTec - which matches the standard SensaTec dashboard. It's nice for the majority of BMW consumers.

If you currently own any BMW with nappa or Merino, you can see and tell the difference. $1K extended Merino upgrade when optioned with M Sport is a no brainer.

PS to the OP discussion:

1. BMW Merino, Porsche Club (milled nappa), MB designo nappa
2. BMW Nappa, Lexus semi-aniline
3. Split leather - Audi Valcona, BMW Vernasca
This is a very helpful explanation! Thank you.

I'm surprised to not have encountered more comparisons online about this. It seems car reviewers compare internal things like suspensions, engines, 4 wheel drive systems, etc., but don't do too many materials comparisons aside from the cursory "this feels good and that doesn't" test.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 03:48 PM   #24
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Quote:

////If currently own BMW nappa or Merino, you can see and tell the difference. $1K extended Merino upgrade when optioned with M Sport is a no brainer.

^^^This
Haha, I justify it as drinking 9-12 less Starbucks a month ☕️
But we both know that won't happen!
Appreciate 1
Auricom4357.00
      11-28-2019, 05:42 PM   #25
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Yeah I suppose if you're used to it.

I've also owned Nissan's in the past and most recently an Infiniti, and while I wouldn't say their leather is high quality, it's definitely soft. I've also owned a couple of Lexus' in the past and they have incredibly soft leather as well. My X5 has Merino which is also soft.

So needless to say, I definitely was not used to it. Hopping into the vernasca seats of my 3 series was a bit of a shock at how hard it is.

Vernasca is tragic! Pretty much no difference from bonded leather, very uncomfortable, looks and feels cheap to the touch! Make the whole car feel cheap. The difference in quality is so apparent, just use actual highest quality leather to compare: such as the ones from Hermès, Delvaux, Cuir Taurillon from LV, and the top hide from Goyard, Loewe and Fendi.

It's great you have Merino in your X5
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 05:52 PM   #26
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
We have Ivory Merino extended and love it. If there is a better car interior leather from another manufacturer, that's okay. The difference would be lost on me since the Merino is bloody perfect to me. I get back into my 328 with Dakota and the difference is huge. I have no issue with Dakota; its tough and durable. But, this Merino is something special. Good job BMW.

There are, but you'd be looking at RR, Bentley and Aston level. So in this class, you have the best!
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11328.50
      11-28-2019, 05:55 PM   #27
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Yeah I can see that being the case.

The seats in both of my Lexus cars, while extremely comfortable and soft, were starting to show signs of cracking towards the end.

The cracking is not due to leather quality, it's mostly maintenance, usage and manufacturer treatment. Lexus most definitely has one of the best leather in the class, at least that's the case with LS and LC. I had a LS with Ivory/White leather for 11 years, with proper cleaning, maintenance and leather milk, looked great when I sold it. You wouldn't leave a Birkin out without spa it at least every 2 to 3 years for example, and no one can say Hermès has bad hide, right? haha
Appreciate 1
wtwo317940.50
      11-29-2019, 09:28 AM   #28
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
I have no clue on how to compare BMW's leathers to other car manufacturers...but you can get an understanding of BMW's leather nomenclature (names/quality) if you have a few basics about leather.

An aniline leather is smooth hide that is not coated with a synthetic top coat which allows it to absorb conditioners that can keep it supple over time. A semi-analine leather is similar. In this regard...BMW's Merino leather is an aniline leather...and BMW's Nappa leather is a semi-aniline leather.

BMW's Dakota/Nevada leathers are a "corrected grain leather" & have a synthetic polymer top coat which means that the pores are coated. Leather conditioners just get smeared over the top coat and don't penetrate into the hide...leather cleaners probably work best to keep them maintained.

BMW's Vernasca leather is a newer player to the game. From appearance it looks to fall somewhere between the base Dakota/Nevada leathers and the higher grade Nappa leather. Is it a semi-aniline leather? In most examples (that I've seen) it appears to have a finer grain than the base Dakota or Nevada leathers...but it does have a grain vs the smoother and higher quality Nappa & Merino leathers. Another question...is Vernasca leather coated with a synthetic top coat?
Another +1 from me for the Ivory White (and Merino in general). I have Full Merino in mine and it looks and feels fantastic. I am a recovering Lincoln fanboy who is used to Lincoln Black Label and their Venetian Leather which adorned the seats, armrests, center console, the entire dash, and upper door panels. Super, super soft and supple but I'm now learning it was coated. As Qsilver posted, the Merino isn't coated and my leather cleaners and conditioners seem to actually absorb into the leather whereas they did not with the Lincoln. In retrospect it's almost as disappointing as Lincoln's build quality.

Kind of a side note on that, I was considering the Lincoln Aviator before I wised up and got my G05 and for Black Label it's no longer Venetian Leather - per their website it's now called Savannah Leather. The dash and door panels are now injected-molded plastic. Ew. How do people drive cars with interiors that aren't covered in leather?! #firstworldproblems
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 11:50 AM   #29
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

No vehicle make uses full aniline leather (maybe you could spec a Bentley or Rolls with it...). Semi-aniline is about the best you can expect and all vehicle leathers have at least a waterproofing coating applied to the leather.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 12:15 PM   #30
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
No vehicle make uses full aniline leather (maybe you could spec a Bentley or Rolls with it...). Semi-aniline is about the best you can expect and all vehicle leathers have at least a waterproofing coating applied to the leather.
I wouldn't doubt that most leather in cars...even the aniline and semi-aniline have some type of waterproofing applied (at least on the seating surfaces)...but unlike the base leathers that are "corrected"leathers that have a polymer/synthetic top coating...the aniline/semi-aniline leathers have not been "sealed" even if waterproofed...and a good leather conditioner will probably still be absorbed into the pores of the leather if left to sit for awhile.

If anyone is familiar with Leatheriques' Rejuvinater Oil...after the leather has absorbed this product...you can see "stuff" pushed to the top from out of the pores of the leather. Conditioners of this type work great on aniline/semi-aniline leathers. The corrected embossed grain leathers with their polymer/synthetic coatings that have sealed the pores of the leather probably work best with a cleaner that can clean the topside of the leather since the coating has usually prevented deep penetration of dirt/dust/grime etc.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 12:27 PM   #31
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
I wouldn't doubt that most leather in cars...even the aniline and semi-aniline have some type of waterproofing applied (at least on the seating surfaces)...but unlike the base leathers that are "corrected"leathers that have a polymer/synthetic top coating...the aniline/semi-aniline leathers have not been "sealed" even if waterproofed...and a good leather conditioner will probably still be absorbed into the pores of the leather if left to sit for awhile.

If anyone is familiar with Leatheriques' Rejuvinater Oil...after the leather has absorbed this product...you can see "stuff" pushed to the top from out of the pores of the leather. Conditioners of this type work great on aniline/semi-aniline leathers. The corrected embossed grain leathers with their polymer/synthetic coatings that have sealed the pores of the leather probably work best with a cleaner that can clean the topside of the leather since the coating has usually prevented deep penetration of dirt/dust/grime etc.
I am ordering Club leather in my Cayenne and one of the Rennlist forum members who works with the leather industry had a lot of good info on vehicle leathers. I don't treat my vernasca special at all, it is extremely durable and great with my kids. I do plan to use high quality leather cleaning and conditioning products on the club leather, the BMW merino should probably be handled the same.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 04:44 PM   #32
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
Kia telluride is a new contender.

(Half kidding here)

Lol,

Well nappa leather, Alcántara headliner (or similar suede )

Here are some crude pics.

You also have the privilege of paying 5-10k mark up on the sx- prestige .
I threw up in my mouth a little bit
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 07:01 PM   #33
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E44, E61, E07

Are the Vernasca interiors and the Merino interiors made by the same vendors?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 07:44 PM   #34
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by polychromatic View Post
Yes, all the seats are made by the same manufacture regardless of the covering.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 07:46 PM   #35
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by polychromatic View Post
Yes, all the seats are made by the same manufacture regardless of the covering.
Maybe he's asking if the different leathers are supplied by the same vendor.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 07:58 PM   #36
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
That could be, I'm sure someone on here knows the answer to that.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 09:23 AM   #37
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E44, E61, E07

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
No, I was just asking about the assembly vendor, not the actual leather supplier.
Appreciate 0