09-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #45
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinb1212 View Post
My G05 arrived in June and I am thoroughly impressed. I owned 4 Jeep Grand Cherokees over the years and decided to switch it up.

Wishes: I regret not getting the leather dashboard. I would have settled for the SensaTec. I do not like the look of the plastic dashboard.
Can you post a pic of your dashboard? You sure you don't have SensaTec? I though they replaced all default dashboards with SensaTec back around the beginning of the year so if you don't order leather, you get SensaTec.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #46
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Can you post a pic of your dashboard? You sure you don't have SensaTec? I though they replaced all default dashboards with SensaTec back around the beginning of the year so if you don't order leather, you get SensaTec.
The stitched SensaTec were on the xLines for 2019, the MSport were the non-stitched plastics. On the 2020s they are all stitched SensaTec.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2019, 05:08 PM   #47
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
I was watching a few videos and came across one that looked like it had a crack or some kind of line in the center of the dash top, from the windshield to the front just above the display. The camera was moving around and the video quality wasn't that good so I couldn't figure out what I was looking at.
I went to the BMW site and built the X5 but could not see that crack/line in the build pix. Then on another video I saw it plain as day...it was the leather dash and it did have a seam there. Why?
Not sure if anyone responded to your question...but the first thing that came to my mind was:
  • Leather comes from a natural hide which is limited by the size of the animal it comes from:
  • Sensatec (being a man-made material) will come on a bolt like most other fabrics...which has an average size that is between 40"-60" wide x 100 yards long.

Dividing the 100% leather dash into two halves makes it much easier to get the fit & finish to look good as well as fit properly and compensate for any blemishes that may be in the hide (again, its a natural product so may not look the same from top to bottom and side to side.

The Sensatec (man-made) dash is much easier to accomplish using a single cut of upholstery/cloth since you have at least 100 yards in length to cut it from.

Just a thought.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-05-2019 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-04-2019, 05:26 PM   #48
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but my only regret on not getting on my 40i M Sport is IAS for parking lot maneuvering. Without it, this X5 is way more difficult to maneuver in parking lots and tight spots than my previous SUV (first gen Mazda CX-9). I didn't have enough time behind the wheel during test drives and trusted my SA's repeated comments that I didn't need it.

Get IAS.
      09-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #49
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
The Sensatec (man-made) dash is much easier to accomplish using a single cut of upholstery/cloth since you have at least 100 yards in length to cut it from.

Just a thought.
The SensaTec dash also has the line/crack/separation in the center of the dash.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #50
Thumbs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 X5 3.0 5-spd, '10 X6 i35,

Like:
Acoustic Glass- I haven't done a back-to-back but it sure seems quiet.
Extended Merino Leather- I really like the black accents and the supple hand of the material relative to Vernasca.
Aluminum Tetragon trim- The interior has a REALLY cool modern aesthetic, particularly with the black trim on the ivory white extended Merino seats.
Tanzanite Blue- 3 colors, one car.
Lux Seating- not mentioned previously, but the adjustable side bolsters are SO nice.
Heated seats- The heated arm rests is a really nice touch and Winter is still months away.
Executive Package- Lots to love in the package.
ICON/ Laser lights- I would order as a separate item if not getting the Exec. Package. Get this.
M-Sport- Personal preference. I like it.
Heads-up Display- A must-have as long as people are driving cars where navigation assistance is required.
Trailer Hitch- Design is well done though I haven't used it yet. I do wonder about the tongue(?) length getting the ball far enough from the bumper. I really like our Stealth Hitch on our 2014.

Only so-so:
Driver Asst. Pro - We live in a semi-rural area so semi-self-driving is not useful. I have played with it on the highway and really dislike the constant steering inputs. The vehicle can't hold a steady line for more than a second or two, it seems, and that was causing me to have some motion-sickness symptoms. The added safety tech I REALLY like. Perhaps future software updates will improve the rest of the system and I like it to be potentially better rather than not having the option.
M-Sport brakes- Looks cool and costs money. The car had it, I wouldn't have ordered it.
Glass Controls- Look cool, gets smudgy. Edges not an issue at all.
Harman Kardon- It's not B&W. If you haven't experienced the B&W, you probably won't care.

Never Again:
22" Wheels- Even with non-runflat tires the ride is noticeably less compliant. There is a really annoying mid-pitch noise from expansion joints. Sounds like someone hitting a high-pitched bongo drum. The fat tires like to follow the grooves in textured concrete. Travelling at 70mph and having the car follow the pavement texture means the car is almost constantly "wandering" down the road. No matter how active or passive you try to be with steering the car will always be moving side-to-side a little bit.
22" Tires are expensive. A new set of tires is ~$1500-$2200. A new set of decent aftermarket 20" wheels and top quality tires is about $2000.

Destination Charge- Hahaha.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #51
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
Like:
Driver Asst. Pro - We live in a semi-rural area so semi-self-driving is not useful. I have played with it on the highway and really dislike the constant steering inputs. The vehicle can't hold a steady line for more than a second or two, it seems, and that was causing me to have some motion-sickness symptoms. The added safety tech I REALLY like. Perhaps future software updates will improve the rest of the system and I like it to be potentially better rather than not having the option.
I wonder why some folks, the extreme minority, report this. Perhaps some are very sensitive. Besides mine, I have had two loaners and all three have done very well in keeping a smooth line whether on straight runs or through curves. I live in a very rural area and turn it on as soon as I exit my driveway as well as on Interstates and city surface streets. I would probably consider the Driving Assistance as the best done feature on the G05.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 02:05 PM   #52
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I wonder why some folks, the extreme minority, report this. Perhaps some are very sensitive. Besides mine, I have had two loaners and all three have done very well in keeping a smooth line whether on straight runs or through curves. I live in a very rural area and turn it on as soon as I exit my driveway as well as on Interstates and city surface streets. I would probably consider the Driving Assistance as the best done feature on the G05.
I agree. Driving assistance works well on highways and primary and secondary roads. On some of the roads here the lines are really a bit faded but it doesn't seem to be a problem for the X5 driver assistance.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #53
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

After having it for ~6 months, I wish we got the 5.0 instead, but wife and neighbors would hate me. Only thing i want was the look of the twin dual exhaust and the sound of it 4.0 is plenty powerful for me, probably doesnt justify the extra cost of the 5.0.

Love the air suspension best. After driving with it, then to a vehicle without, the luxury feel is day and night! plus being able to adjust height is also awesome.

There are options in the executive package i can do without, but love the other options it came with.

Other than that there has been zero complaints or options i would change/add
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2019, 03:05 PM   #54
SHARMAATL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Favorite option: the Bowers and Wilkins sound system. It is fantastic. While the sound is amazing, the way it lights up at night really makes the cabin feel special. That is by far the thing I get the most compliments on.

Least favorite option: Off Road package. I don't go off road, but I do have a tendency to get carried away with options. The saving grace though is that it includes the 2 axle air suspension and M Sport Differential.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 04:08 PM   #55
jasrboyd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i Xdrive

My favorite option is the Msport option. My least favorite option is the ventilated seats but gotta tell ya after getting used to them I do like them. The option(s) I wish I got is DHP. I also wish I got the B&W sound system. And finally I wish I got the acoustic glass. I am indeed impressed with my X5 and my next one I hope will be even better.
      10-26-2019, 12:22 AM   #56
videoman535i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M50i, 2008 335i

A feature I should have skipped was soft closing doors. I had them in a 535GT (came equipped) and I kind of liked them, and ordered them for this X5. In actual use they almost never engage, i.e. the doors just close "normally", without any assist. I haven't figured out why one vehicle benefited but the other doesn't.

As for the driver asst pro, I've complained about the wandering in previous posts and I still think it's a poor implementation. I also think those who experience problems with it are not in the "extreme minority".
Appreciate 1
perikifi165.50
      10-26-2019, 10:27 AM   #57
champkindwhammy
ChampKind
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 550iM

For me the black 22" rims make the car.
The extended leather for $1k was probably best bang for the buck and the Alcantra is just cool.
I almost cheaped out and didn't get the executive which would have been a huge botch. The LED sunroof is crazy and I've only driven it at night a few times so far.

I never even drove the 50i. But I can say getting the M50 was best decision ever as the power is legit
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 05:55 PM   #58
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Love every option, and I got most of them. Comparing to a fully optioned 2018 Q7, and my previous F15. I already knew what I wanted when I ordered, and the following is my opinion only. The navigation is next level compared to Audi's - the Audi had one feature in Nav, where you could request "online search," and 90 percent of the time you needed it: it almost never understood simple requests for well published destinations, and would drive you all over town to get there. And take forever to load - you could be on the road for 5 minutes before it would connect. The X5 understands actual speech, and so far has almost immediately presented me with a list of actual places that I requested.

The driving assist options work well for me, including lane keeping, and are at least as good as VW's tech, My expectations are calibrated for what the system can actually do, based on driving experience with the Audi. I don't expect it to brake for every stopped vehicle in front of me, to maintain the lane in the absence of markers, or to steer indefinitely without driver input. The graphics are next level, non-intrusive, and actually useful - best HUD I've used, and I've used a few. State of the art right now; perhaps one day true autonomy, but not today.

B&W sound system is the equal of a previous B&O, and meets every expectation, as does the acoustic glass. The insulation while driving makes a high-end audio system actually practical.

Night vision is more practically implemented with a larger and clearer screen than Audi's, and autonomous braking really works - real world tested.

Air suspension adds a very comfortable ride compared to the F15 (the original BMW stiff ride), and comparable to the Q7. Wish list would be to maintain settings at higher/lower speed parameters, but icing on the cake. IAS is just as useful as the Q7 for a hefty SUV, and seems to produce as sharp a turn - a must have for tight maneuvering.

Full Merino contour seating is the most comfortable seating I've experienced in a car (much better than the top Nappa package I had in the F15), and the massage function is less intrusive (and noisy) than Audi's, and more comfortable.

The luggage package has turned out to be handy, and not a gimmick, and I find retracting the cover considerably easier than detaching and looking for a place to store. I've used it a lot. A cover wasn't even provided standard in the Audi - extra. I found that's a word you used a lot with VAG.

21" wheels in the Q7. I specifically ordered 20" wheels in the X5 - better ride, LOTS more tire options, LOTS cheaper to replace. I don't need 21", 22", or 30" wheels on an SUV, just for the optics. But that's just me.

40i. The straight 6 in BMW's lineup is probably one of the best production engines ever made, and not my opinion only. The V8 is a great engine too - adds a nice rumble to the tailpipes, adds a marginal 0.7 sec to the 0-60 giddyup, and makes the needle in the fuel gauge approach zero faster for the previous privileges. Plus, you get a real "M" on your tailgate if you order the M version. To each his/her own.

My thoughts on my car, exclusively my own. So far, warts and all (including quirky cameras, underdone iDrive7, fiddly and incomplete Connected software), it's the best SUV I've ever driven. That would include 3 RXs, 2 GXs, X3, X5 (F15), Q7, and this one.

Last edited by Paladin1; 10-27-2019 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 6
six370.00
perikifi165.50
sygazelle11329.50
      10-27-2019, 06:33 PM   #59
mpaasky
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 x5m50i, ‘22 992, ‘23 iX

Bad
HK audio sounds muffled.
M Sport Exhaust is not loud at all
I wish u got extended merino
Massage is very weak
Ventilated Seats r useless. Sucking air instead of blowing.
Gesture also useless cuz it’s hit and miss
Navigation sucks. Won’t take my address which is one year old home even though Google Map takes it.
Key/profiles is a huge mess. I never understand how it’s saving my seating position.
Digital key takes 20s to unlock door.
Not sure if laser light is brighter. Can’t tell.
Parking assist only works for spot that I can easily park. Very stupid at time.

Good
ACC is very good. Completely autonomous driving under 40mph is a godsend. Camera prevents me from playing with my phone is great.
The dark blue color is beautiful
Sky lounge is nice
M50i engine is powerful yet smooth like butter
HUD better than before
iDrive is a tier above Audio/Porsche
M steering has good build quality.
IAS makes my car feel very nimble
Acoustic glass is too quiet. Good for people who want it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 10:47 AM   #60
Dex05
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 - White/Beige

Good
-Love all my features, no regret; Mostly:
-Love my interior Canberra Beige + Walknappa Leather Dashboard
-Soft close door is very satisfying. I got used to it and guess cant go without it.
-I love my Air suspension driving comfort and ability to change the level.
-I love the remote start and use it alot.
-I love armrest heating.

Bad
Actually nothing bad. Just I wish I had:
-Electric Hitch
-2020 Assist driving view
-Rear brake intervention
-OTA

Not sure about:
-Driving assistant Plus as it will only activated in highways. I might go with regular one.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 06:53 AM   #61
Thumbs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 X5 3.0 5-spd, '10 X6 i35,

Following up on the DA+ and my experience on rural SE Michigan roads, perhaps there is some significant difference in lane marking here. The system seems to have trouble on curves near intersections or driveways. My <guess> is that our lane edge markings are too dirty, too faded, and/or have wider gaps at intersections. Maybe we have too many driveways meeting the road on or near a curve? All I know is that I tested it and it failed on country roads.

I DO like it for divided highway driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 07:49 AM   #62
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

I wish I got Remote Software Updates....

...oh wait
Appreciate 1
homerrr133.50
      11-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #63
teefive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i

Great thread. Wish I read it before placing my order the other week, but looks like I made (mostly) good decisions.

Any comments on the alcantara headliner? Was going to include it but pulled it out last minute.
      11-26-2019, 08:47 AM   #64
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by teefive View Post
Great thread. Wish I read it before placing my order the other week, but looks like I made (mostly) good decisions.

Any comments on the alcantara headliner? Was going to include it but pulled it out last minute.
Looks lux and feels nice to the touch. Though I wouldn't recommend you caressing your headline or you'll elicit stares from other drivers LOL.

If you're getting full Merino or extended with leather dash, I'd recommend it - otherwise skip if and get M Sport brakes or other options

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:20 AM   #65
jumpingpint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i 2017

The luggage compartment package is the most high tech feeling feature, covering and retracting automatically.

Night vision. Maybe try next time, not sure how useful it is.

Trail hatch. Coming from no where, wife wants to mountain biking now. Rear mounted rack seems more convenient than the room mounted.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 04:26 PM   #66
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E44, E61, E07

FYI re ventilated seats sucking air, yes that’s how its done. My 911 had those and at first I thought wth, but after I understood that they just remove body moisture it made sense. Definitely not like air conditioned air blowing on your backside, but maintains a reasonable comfort level.
Appreciate 0