BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-05-2019, 05:49 PM   #67
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by polychromatic View Post
FYI re ventilated seats sucking air, yes that’s how its done. My 911 had those and at first I thought wth, but after I understood that they just remove body moisture it made sense. Definitely not like air conditioned air blowing on your backside, but maintains a reasonable comfort level.
No, they don't suck air into them from the seat and back. The air is sucked through the bottom of the seat and circulated through the membrane in the seat to create an evaporative effect.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 06:28 PM   #68
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E44, E61, E07

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
No, they don't suck air into them from the seat and back. The air is sucked through the bottom of the seat and circulated through the membrane in the seat to create an evaporative effect.
More better xplanation!
Appreciate 1
TurtleBoy13143.50
      12-06-2019, 11:53 PM   #69
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

For those that have this: how 'good' is the air suspension?

I currently have my build with the air suspension option ticked. Our F15 has a 3rd row and it came with air suspension, although I was told it was only for the rear. We have really liked the ride in our F15. I went to the local dealership to test drive a few of theirs, none of them had the air suspension. They either had the regular suspension or the M sport adaptive suspension. The M sport suspension felt fine, but honestly, so did the regular one. So I have no basis of direct comparison. We want the smoothest ride possible, but is it really worth the $1000 over the regular suspension (we have no interest in the M sport stuff)?

another question: the dealer said that the M sport suspension comes with 'adaptive' mode which changes the characteristics of the suspension based on the road. I'm not sure if that's the same as what's in the 7 series which uses GPS data to know how good/bad the roads are? Anyway, does the air suspension come with an adaptive mode too?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 12:20 AM   #70
MatchboxM1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Favorites: DAP, Air Suspension and lux seating.

Regrets (had to "settle" for someone else's backed out but very well equipped custom order 2020 40i): the off road pack I had in my 2019 - the snow mode is fantastic as are the off road options.

Also miss the M-sport brakes I had previously. Really should be standard with M Sport package. I think people (including salesmen) think it's standard. Standard brakes are fine, but I'm noticing now after a few weeks and long road trip.

Vanity regret: glass controls would have been a nice touch. Surprised wasn't added to mine.

Oh, and miss my trailer hitch I had on the 2019. I will need to make other arrangements before Spring and hope to obtain something as nice as the factory installed setup (and possible retain the kick to open tailgate).
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 12:46 AM   #71
mgnmpl
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50d (G05)

Favourites:
Adaptive M suspension - I love how it stiffness when in sport mode
Massage and ventilation in comfort seats (although seats themselves I find not so very comfy)
Sky lounge looks really cool

Not so great options:
HomeLink - I cant make it work with my home garage (I live in a flat with underground garage)
Cargo package (don’t remember the name) - this auto cover just make you check every time if you pack a lot of stuff if it will close or not. On the other hand hiding it below floor is really nice feature.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 01:44 AM   #72
jumpingpint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
For those that have this: how 'good' is the air suspension?

I currently have my build with the air suspension option ticked. Our F15 has a 3rd row and it came with air suspension, although I was told it was only for the rear. We have really liked the ride in our F15. I went to the local dealership to test drive a few of theirs, none of them had the air suspension. They either had the regular suspension or the M sport adaptive suspension. The M sport suspension felt fine, but honestly, so did the regular one. So I have no basis of direct comparison. We want the smoothest ride possible, but is it really worth the $1000 over the regular suspension (we have no interest in the M sport stuff)?

another question: the dealer said that the M sport suspension comes with 'adaptive' mode which changes the characteristics of the suspension based on the road. I'm not sure if that's the same as what's in the 7 series which uses GPS data to know how good/bad the roads are? Anyway, does the air suspension come with an adaptive mode too?
As far as I know, the GPS and camera based adjustment is only available for 7 and X7. This was one of the plus point for X7 when deciding between X5 and X7. The handling of X5 won.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 11:00 AM   #73
darioenter
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d f10

Favorite:
Air suspension. Yes it is little to soft in comfort mode, but very stiff in sport plus.
Head up display is very large, and a lot of information.
Sound of the m50d, It is just great
Least favorite:
Laser lights. Why? Because I just do not, repat DO NOT, see the difference in the lights quality in g05 compared to adaptive led from F10. I have no idea when the lasers are on, and when they are off. Im not saying that lights are bad, just I do not see the difference (exept 2000 eur laser ligths option). Vaste of money
Car still not showing speed limit (aparently it depend on the market, I guess bmw thinks that if you buy bme on the market where this is not option, you will never drive to market where this is the option, even if these two countries are 50km apart)), but I will solve this issue with stickey notes of the speed limit on the dashboard and send it to the sales agent, bmw i germany and NC.
We bought 10.000 eur Dacia last week that has this freaking system, and the 100.000 eur bmw has not
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #74
Dagwag77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW X5 M50i, '19 430i Conv

Favorite Option: There are so many little things that just really make the car: DHP, heated/cooling cup holders, heated seats, steering wheel, arm rests and center console are awesome, trailer hitch and spare tire are necessities

Least Favorite: HUD - just makes me dizzy

Regret: Had the alcantara headliner in my prior car and the comparison makes the stock headliner feel cheap, especially the feel of the sun visors and the clear quality difference between the leather dash and the headliner on the pillars.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 02:48 PM   #75
Ftpohyeah
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 X3 M Competition  [0.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
Alcantara headliner is my happiest option, i fucking love that suede feeling.

Then is the rear seat entertainment. Gives the 2nd row passengers a more connected feel to the car, and the drive. The only downside is you need headphones if you want sound. Would be cool if the speakers corresponded to the screen on its side.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 02:51 PM   #76
teefive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftpohyeah View Post

Then is the rear seat entertainment. Gives the 2nd row passengers a more connected feel to the car, and the drive. The only downside is you need headphones if you want sound. Would be cool if the speakers corresponded to the screen on its side.
Ah makes me wish I didn't pull the alcantara option off my build during the last minute. any pics?
      12-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #77
Ftpohyeah
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 X3 M Competition  [0.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teefive View Post
Quote:

Ah makes me wish I didn't pull the alcantara option off my build during the last minute. any pics?
The alcantara covers the front and middle pillars and around the panoramic roof. It doesnt reach the pillars in the 3rd row. The front sun visors are abnormally THICK and idk if its the alcantara or just the x5 but i love it, feels fantastic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #78
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Great post, glad I came across it as I have not ordered yet. However, didn't anyone get the optional electric cargo cover or the spare tire option?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVhk...c#action=share
I have the spare tire, but wouldn’t want motorized cargo cover. First day I took out the manual cargo cover. It didn’t fit over my 12-v fridge.

I would never use a cargo cover. It is just in the way. Motorized or not.

I wish I had the HUD and assisted cruise control. Didn’t get HUD because I usually wear polarized sunglasses (which means you can’t see the HUD). Now I’m concerned about resale without it.

I’m irritated that a Mazda Grand Touring - and many other cars - come standard with assisted cruise, but in the X5 you have to buy the all-in driving gadget package, which I didn’t want.

Next car or giant-ass pickup . . . Next car will have actual bumpers.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #79
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
I have the spare tire, but wouldn’t want motorized cargo cover. First day I took out the manual cargo cover. It didn’t fit over my 12-v fridge.

I would never use a cargo cover. It is just in the way. Motorized or not.

I wish I had the HUD and assisted cruise control. Didn’t get HUD because I usually wear polarized sunglasses (which means you can’t see the HUD). Now I’m concerned about resale without it.

I’m irritated that a Mazda Grand Touring - and many other cars - come standard with assisted cruise, but in the X5 you have to buy the all-in driving gadget package, which I didn’t want.

Next car or giant-ass pickup . . . Next car will have actual bumpers.
Wow, Impressive that you dug up my post from May of this year! Are you referring to the Mazda CX9? Yeah, $30K less than an X5 and the biggest diff is the engine.

Car and Driver just rated the X5 to be #3 out of the top 20 for 2020. It was only beat out by Porsche and the Audi Q7. The Mazda was in the line up somewhere, I forget its place but it was for the CX5 IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 09:13 AM   #80
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
The alcantara covers the front and middle pillars and around the panoramic roof. It doesnt reach the pillars in the 3rd row. The front sun visors are abnormally THICK and idk if its the alcantara or just the x5 but i love it, feels fantastic.

I would be petting my car like a creeper at every red light. would definitely turn some heads!
Appreciate 2
      12-14-2019, 12:23 PM   #81
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Wow, Impressive that you dug up my post from May of this year! Are you referring to the Mazda CX9? Yeah, $30K less than an X5 and the biggest diff is the engine.

Car and Driver just rated the X5 to be #3 out of the top 20 for 2020. It was only beat out by Porsche and the Audi Q7. The Mazda was in the line up somewhere, I forget its place but it was for the CX5 IIRC.
The engine isn't bad in the CX9, what kills it is the tiny screen and old infotainment. If Mazda could step it up to the new Hyundai/Kia infotainment level, they would be golden. Even their new infotainment in Mazda 3 is kinda weak. I get that it's not luxury level brand but they are trying to find a spot in the premium category, in between the mainstream and luxury.

There is just no comparison to the X5's engine really. Neither Audi's 3.0T V6 or MB's I6 with 48 volt hybrid setup can even come close to real world performance (not to mention fuel economy). I don't know how BMW does it but it never ceases to amaze me.

And yes it is BS all 3 of these German makers charge so much for adaptive cruise control when almost all the mainstream brands are practically offering it for free.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #82
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
After a few months, the feature I hate the most is comfort access. it's just buggy as hell, and that's the only piece of tech I swear at. My wife has a key, and the damn thing will randomly reconfigure the driving seat for no reason, regardless of who appeared (or opened) the car first.
It's not the only problem, it's really just a piece of dross. Seriously. having to tell her to walk away from the car, and have to use my remote to close+open it to make sure the seat isn't trying to kill me when I get in the car is far, FAR from 'comfort'.

All the rest of the gizmos are great otherwise. Air suspension is super, but my favourite setting is 'adaptive' + 'one notch down' on the level, it just seems to make the car glide, it's way more comfortable than 'comfort' especially if you go thru corners.
      12-14-2019, 05:59 PM   #83
jumpingpint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
After a few months, the feature I hate the most is comfort access. it's just buggy as hell, and that's the only piece of tech I swear at. My wife has a key, and the damn thing will randomly reconfigure the driving seat for no reason, regardless of who appeared (or opened) the car first.
It's not the only problem, it's really just a piece of dross. Seriously. having to tell her to walk away from the car, and have to use my remote to close+open it to make sure the seat isn't trying to kill me when I get in the car is far, FAR from 'comfort'.

All the rest of the gizmos are great otherwise. Air suspension is super, but my favourite setting is 'adaptive' + 'one notch down' on the level, it just seems to make the car glide, it's way more comfortable than 'comfort' especially if you go thru corners.
Use PIN to select the driver profile?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 05:51 AM   #84
mcsa
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d 2020

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darioenter View Post
Favorite:
Air suspension. Yes it is little to soft in comfort mode, but very stiff in sport plus.
Least favorite:
Laser lights. Why? Because I just do not, repat DO NOT, see the difference in the lights quality in g05 compared to adaptive led from F10. I have no idea when the lasers are on, and when they are off. Im not saying that lights are bad, just I do not see the difference (exept 2000 eur laser ligths option). Vaste of money
Car still not showing speed limit (aparently it depend on the market, I guess bmw thinks that if you buy bme on the market where this is not option, you will never drive to market where this is the option, even if these two countries are 50km apart)), but I will solve this issue with stickey notes of the speed limit on the dashboard and send it to the sales agent, bmw i germany and NC.
We bought 10.000 eur Dacia last week that has this freaking system, and the 100.000 eur bmw has not
do you still get M Sport Diff (LSD) on M50d with Air Suspension?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:25 AM   #85
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by darioenter View Post
Favorite:
Least favorite:
do you still get M Sport Diff (LSD) on M50d with Air Suspension?
2T4 M Sport Differential is standard on M50d/i and you can option 2VR 2-axle air suspension with 2T4.

For example Off-Road package ZOR, available on xLine, includes 2T4 and 2VR.

Appreciate 1
mcsa65.00
      01-27-2020, 12:46 PM   #86
fsuBMW1701
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i

Favorite option: IAS on the m50i
Least: umm. Window shades in the back I guess?
Wish: alcantara headliner. Forgot it. Doh!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:14 PM   #87
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsuBMW1701 View Post
Favorite option: IAS on the m50i
Least: umm. Window shades in the back I guess?
Wish: alcantara headliner. Forgot it. Doh!
Hi fsuBMW1701,
Just curious as to why the rear side window shades are your least favorite. I'm currently on the gulf coast of Florida and would find them very useful in keeping the heat out. No?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:16 PM   #88
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Favorite Options:
Acoustic glass: passengers frequently comment on just how quiet it is inside, one of the hallmarks of a luxury car.
Air suspension: The standard suspension is OK but it doesn't do much to absorb potholes and rough asphalt. I dropped off my X5 at the dealership and the shuttle driver gave me ride to work in an X5 without air and the difference on the same terrible road (Wilshire Blvd.) was night and day.
HK Audio: So much better than the standard audio system for a small amount of money.
Driving Assistant Pro: I use it every time i get on the freeway and I am less fatigued when i get to my destination.
Laser lights: Brighter than the standard headlights plus the daytime lights look so much better. Anti dazzle coding is a must.

Least Favorite: Auto closing doors. I forget the feature is there half the time and telling passengers is a waste of breath. I also worry about the motors failing at some point and costing $$$ to fix.
Heated/cooled cupholders: i don't really use them although they seem to work.
Wireless charging pad: too difficult to access so i never use it.

Next Build: Sapphire Black w/ black full merino leather and the shadowline option. I like my arctic grey/coffee combination but next one will be black.

Last edited by robby818; 01-27-2020 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0