BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #1
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

BMW cargo mat

I searched the forum but am still unsure which BMW cargo mat is the correct part number for no 3rd row with the luggage compartment Pkg.
It looks like: 51-47-2-458-568. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
I searched the forum but am still unsure which BMW cargo mat is the correct part number for no 3rd row with the luggage compartment Pkg.
It looks like: 51-47-2-458-568. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks
According to Realoem, it looks like you are correct.. ..

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=03_4902

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
claykin1579.00
      11-23-2019, 02:09 PM   #3
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
According to Realoem, it looks like you are correct.. ..

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=03_4902

Thank You sir. Looks like a nice mat, even if a little overpriced.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Thank You sir. Looks like a nice mat, even if a little overpriced.
Over priced? Ha ha, its a BMW mat, of course its over priced

That said, there was a post a short while ago where people were comparing the BMW front mats to those from Weathertech and some other brand I think on either eBay or Amazon. Granted they were not talking about the cargo mat but they said that the BMW mat was actually a higher quality mat in that it was rubber, had high side walls and offered a bit of grip whereas the Weathertech was plastic, slippery and as I can attest to with mine, once dirty, you just can't get them back to looking new again and if you dare put any back-to-black type liquid on them, they become super slippery making it hard to adjust yourself in the seat.

There was also a few threads where owners were talking about and comparing cargo mats both for the standard cargo floor as well as when ordering the optional cargo pkg. Do a search and read up before buying anything, the homework may have already been done. I think this comparison was between the BMW, Weathertech and a carpet type cargo cover.
Appreciate 2
AAA59.00
      11-23-2019, 03:09 PM   #5
micmitch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2018 Accord

I like the WeatherTech one - https://www.weathertech.com/bmw/2019...ting-kit-1/no/

Do go through the vehicle config to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 03:20 PM   #6
TK421BMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328, X5, Z4

I have that mat. The raised parts look nice but are annoying in actual use. Creates an uneven surface. Sliding roller suitcases in is harder than it should be. The one on my old e70 was completely flat with raised edges up the side that kept spills/dirt on the mat.
2020 f30 440 xDrive Convertible
2004 e85 Z4 3.0
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 03:48 PM   #7
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:

That said, there was a post a short while ago where people were comparing the BMW front mats to those from Weathertech and some other brand I think on either eBay or Amazon. Granted they were not talking about the cargo mat but they said that the BMW mat was actually a higher quality mat in that it was rubber, had high side walls and offered a bit of grip whereas the Weathertech was plastic, slippery and as I can attest to with mine, once dirty, you just can't get them back to looking new again and if you dare put any back-to-black type liquid on them, they become super slippery making it hard to adjust yourself in the seat.

There was also a few threads where owners were talking about and comparing cargo mats both for the standard cargo floor as well as when ordering the optional cargo pkg. Do a search and read up before buying anything, the homework may have already been done. I think this comparison was between the BMW, Weathertech and a carpet type cargo cover.
This works great, and actually restores the "grip" on a rubber mat, WeatherTech and otherwise.

https://www.weathertech.com/techcare/protector/
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 09:36 AM   #8
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Been looking at accessories while my G05 is on order. I am getting a 3rd row version, and apparently BMW doesn't do any mats for 3rd row seats, but weathertech does for like $70. I'm thinking of getting the BMW rubber mats for 1st and 2nd row then weathertech for 3rd row. I'm skipping cargo because that's not likely to get wet or anything. Probably not the most elegant solution but I don't want 100% weathertech and BMW doesn't do 3rd row mats.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #9
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E44, E61, E07

Quote:

Good info....I just changed my build to include the cargo mat because I also had the cargo pkg, and I know the mat must be shorter to accommodate the drop down cover mechanism.

Last edited by polychromatic; 12-06-2019 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 09:45 AM   #10
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by polychromatic View Post
Good info....I just changed my build to include the cargo because I also had the cargo pkg, and I know the mat must be shorter to accommodate the drop down cover mechanism.
You can actually use either mat with the Luggage Package. My spouse uses the larger mat, and I use the short one. The luggage cover only retracts into the floor when you use the retraction button - on Auto the cover always stays up, and just covers the cargo when you close the hatch. If you ever want to retract it you just need to slide the full-sized mat rearward, retract the cover, then slide it back over the closed cover hatch. I use the short one because I'm too lazy to adjust the mat, but the disadvantage is that the mat doesn't cover the floor completely.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 11:20 AM   #11
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E44, E61, E07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
You can actually use either mat with the Luggage Package. My spouse uses the larger mat, and I use the short one. The luggage cover only retracts into the floor when you use the retraction button - on Auto the cover always stays up, and just covers the cargo when you close the hatch. If you ever want to retract it you just need to slide the full-sized mat rearward, retract the cover, then slide it back over the closed cover hatch. I use the short one because I'm too lazy to adjust the mat, but the disadvantage is that the mat doesn't cover the floor completely.
Thank you. Let me get this straight...the mat that is spec’d to go with the luggage pkg is “the short one”? And, you’re saying that your wife uses the regular “long” mat with her luggage pkg, she would just grab it and pull it back when she want’s if fully retracted, correct?

That said, would you spec the luggage pkg again, or is it just as much PITA as the manual removal option if you use a mat?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 01:21 PM   #12
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

ive got the one you guys are talking about and the shorty for behind the third row in the x7. the amount and ease with which these things scuff is absolutely absurd for the price. unless you're a matchy matchy guy (Which i was for this purchase) i'd stay away. looks like dog sh*t pretty much instantly
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 07:28 PM   #13
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by polychromatic View Post
Thank you. Let me get this straight...the mat that is spec’d to go with the luggage pkg is “the short one”? And, you’re saying that your wife uses the regular “long” mat with her luggage pkg, she would just grab it and pull it back when she want’s if fully retracted, correct?

That said, would you spec the luggage pkg again, or is it just as much PITA as the manual removal option if you use a mat?
Short = OEM mat for Luggage Package (about 12-15" shy of the back of the second row seats, allowing the cargo cover to retract into the floor without adjusting the mat). The longer mat covers the whole luggage compartment, but you need to slide it back when the cover is retracted into the floor to allow the floor compartment lid to raise. 99% of the time, the cover in our cars is on Automatic (raised into position and automatically covering the cargo area when the hatch is closed) so the type of mat is immaterial - the cover never retracts into the floor in normal use. But it's very easy to just fold or slide the larger mat back to lower the cover, and you don't need to do anything with the shorter mat. If you do forget and leave the longer mat in place and try to drop the cover into the floor, it will just stop when the floor compartment cover encounters resistance.

The "short" version is more convenient - never need to move it - but again it doesn't cover the whole floor. The other issue with the short OEM mat is the raised border, which keeps spills contained but gets in the way with larger flat cargo - not as much of an issue with the larger mat because it covers the whole floor area. OEM mats are reasonable quality, and fairly thick, but again BMW charges a premium as some observed. You need to use a mat protector with any mat, OEM or otherwise, to keep it looking decent, and I provided a link to WeatherTech's product earlier - products like Armor All just make it slippery, so avoid those - but the objective of using any mat is so the easily replaceable mat gets scuffed instead of your less easily replaceable and more easily torn upholstery.

I initially thought the Luggage Package was a gimmick, but the more I use it the more I like it. A major convenience is never having to remove the cover and fiddle with storing it; I also never need to manually pull it out or retract it, and it's dead easy with taller cargo to just drop it into the floor. An additional feature not much mentioned are the motorized rubber "stops" in the floor, which rise when the cover slides over the cargo area under certain conditions to prevent cargo from sliding around. They hold cargo in place even without the mats, but I find with a mat that they also secure the mat from sliding. All in all, I'd order it again.

Last edited by Paladin1; 12-06-2019 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 08:45 PM   #14
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421BMW View Post
I have that mat. The raised parts look nice but are annoying in actual use. Creates an uneven surface. Sliding roller suitcases in is harder than it should be. The one on my old e70 was completely flat with raised edges up the side that kept spills/dirt on the mat.
Exactly why I got the Weathertech cargo mat, but bmw front and rear floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #15
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5150 View Post
Exactly why I got the Weathertech cargo mat, but bmw front and rear floor mats.
This is where I am stuck. I have all the BMW mats, which I had thrown in. I HATE the mats and wish I would've paid for the liners. Are the BMW liners the same as the WeatherTech liners? The cargo mat pisses me off with the edges, which made me look into WeatherTech.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #16
spike5150
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
This is where I am stuck. I have all the BMW mats, which I had thrown in. I HATE the mats and wish I would've paid for the liners. Are the BMW liners the same as the WeatherTech liners? The cargo mat pisses me off with the edges, which made me look into WeatherTech.
Just to be clear, these are what I got - Floor Liners

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/6...R-FLOOR-LINERS

No, they are not the same as Weathertech (they were for the F15). These are rubber and much more pliable than Weathertech. I am liking them so far.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #17
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

spike5150 thanks...the salesperson told me the BMW Liners were the same as weathertech liners. it looks like the weathertech's give a little bit more coverage. I think I got the mats, so either would be an upgrade...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 04:48 PM   #18
Dagwag77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW X5 M50i, '19 430i Conv

I wasn't too happy with the BMW liner - specifically how the edges rub against the sides of the cargo area like other posters have mentioned. Also, I didn't like how the BMW mat isn't really completely flat due to the design, though it is a slightly thicker mat. Hope the comparison pics might help someone deciding between the two, though you may notice I debadged the weathertech mat.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      12-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #19
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Dagwag77 thanks for posting this...it's exactly what I needed to see in making my decision. I do love the BMW badging, as I am weird...but you can't deny the WeatherTech is a better coverage.

Also, has anyone ever cut out the areas on the BMW mat to allow access for those eyelets?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #20
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Dagwag77 thank you for the pictures! I have plastic work bins with files I carry in the back that have destroyed the backs of my other SUV's and I want to avoid that this go round. I like the look of the weatertech better from a first glance.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 06:39 PM   #21
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Noticed on the weathertech site when choosing options for the cargo liner they ask if you have the optional Side Netting Kit. I don't see that listed or shown anywhere, anybody have it?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 05:08 PM   #22
ted920
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i, Lexus GS 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwag77 View Post
I wasn't too happy with the BMW liner - specifically how the edges rub against the sides of the cargo area like other posters have mentioned. Also, I didn't like how the BMW mat isn't really completely flat due to the design, though it is a slightly thicker mat. Hope the comparison pics might help someone deciding between the two, though you may notice I debadged the weathertech mat.

Very nice job, the debadged weathertech looks better.
Appreciate 0