11-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #1
chrisvd183
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive45e

Wifi hotspot with own provider

Hello,

Can somebody tell me if we have to use a BMW LTE provider or if we can use one I chose. Like in Belgium Proximus has the best network so i want to use them. Ii have a sim card available.

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 04:26 PM   #2
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvd183 View Post
Hello,

Can somebody tell me if we have to use a BMW LTE provider or if we can use one I chose. Like in Belgium Proximus has the best network so i want to use them. Ii have a sim card available.

Thanks for the info.
Sadly it seems we have to use the built in SIM and BMW tariff. It’s really bad here in the UK, so bad my dealer doesn’t know any customers who use it. It’s very expensive and very inconvenient as the data allowances keen running out quickly and then you are on a trip and don’t know your phone isn’t connected getting email and messages anymore. Poor experience
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 05:19 AM   #3
chrisvd183
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Sadly it seems we have to use the built in SIM and BMW tariff. It’s really bad here in the UK, so bad my dealer doesn’t know any customers who use it. It’s very expensive and very inconvenient as the data allowances keen running out quickly and then you are on a trip and don’t know your phone isn’t connected getting email and messages anymore. Poor experience
That is not looking good then... I was hoping to add the car to the company pool ... bummer. I will ask them what the cost is for Belgium.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2019, 06:03 AM   #4
jole996
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Where is the built-in SIM? Has anybody seen it? Is it a real SIM or just a chip with (usual SIM) data, IMSI, KI etc?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 07:22 AM   #5
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jole996 View Post
Where is the built-in SIM? Has anybody seen it? Is it a real SIM or just a chip with (usual SIM) data, IMSI, KI etc?
Digging into this (reference material linked below), it looks like the sim is built into the telematic comm box, which is located under the fin on the rear. Doubt it is possible, and no idea what mess would come up going into the box. I wish there was a sim slot in the center storage compartment!

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...box/1VnYkbhHXT
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 08:06 AM   #6
jole996
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Digging into this (reference material linked below), it looks like the sim is built into the telematic comm box, which is located under the fin on the rear. Doubt it is possible, and no idea what mess would come up going into the box. I wish there was a sim slot in the center storage compartment!

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...box/1VnYkbhHXT
Probably it is not the actual SIM (plastic small with chip), but a real chip integrated on circuit board, that can be loaded with IMSI/KI etc data and behave like SIM. As with Amazon Kindle. Then BMW makes arrangements with one operator in each country, to let their IMSI range roam in that country and have XX GB per month at certain cost that BMW pays (from subscription money they get from teleservices).

If it would be a real physical SIM card, it would be possible to change it to some other for data transfer, but I think it would be logistics nightmare for BMW to acquire SIMs from all over the world and install them at factory or similar process.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 08:12 AM   #7
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

jole996 Agreed...I think they went with something along the lines of the eSIM route, but it is probably walled off. Now, I wonder if there would be a way to code and possibly allow for some work around? It suck's they don't allow for customer choice...but again..it's all about that $$$$!

Side note, when you go into the new version of the iOS connected drive app...under HUB, there's a quick shot to register and set up the hotspot. I still have the trial, and was looking to try it out. My only complaint is that it might just be easier to use my iPhone as a hotspot if needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 08:59 AM   #8
jole996
Private
Rep

Quote:
jole996 Agreed...I think they went with something along the lines of the eSIM route, but it is probably walled off. Now, I wonder if there would be a way to code and possibly allow for some work around? It suck's they don't allow for customer choice...but again..it's all about that $$$$!

Side note, when you go into the new version of the iOS connected drive app...under HUB, there's a quick shot to register and set up the hotspot. I still have the trial, and was looking to try it out. My only complaint is that it might just be easier to use my iPhone as a hotspot if needed.
I went through the docs and yes, it is an integrated SIM. There are ways to walk around that (femtocell), let me get into it, since it is my field...
Appreciate 2
LexxM31697.50
homerrr133.50
      11-27-2019, 09:03 AM   #9
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
I went through the docs and yes, it is an integrated SIM. There are ways to walk around that (femtocell), let me get into it, since it is my field...
Ha way above my pay grade! All these "integrated" components on products these days...not just vehicles...really makes things non-repairable/customizable without going to the manufacturer. It's truly a shame, since it's not in the best interest of the customer at the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 09:06 AM   #10
jole996
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ha way above my pay grade! All these "integrated" components on products these days...not just vehicles...really makes things non-repairable/customizable without going to the manufacturer. It's truly a shame, since it's not in the best interest of the customer at the end of the day.
These days you can get a $15-20 programmable femto from Aliexpess
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      11-27-2019, 09:21 AM   #11
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
These days you can get a $15-20 programmable femto from Aliexpess
Subscribed.
      12-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #12
Mr_Lebedev
Russia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d G05

better to buy usb wifi dongle, insert your sim and install in trunk area. I did it.
      12-24-2019, 03:04 AM   #13
jole996
Private
Rep

And this works? Your car is using Connected Services only through wifi? Doesn't use it's own eSIM at all?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 01:01 PM   #14
Mr_Lebedev
Russia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d G05

Quote:
And this works? Your car is using Connected Services only through wifi? Doesn't use it's own eSIM at all?
yes. its works.
im not using this for bmw connected services, but im using this for share internet for installed Android inferface (installed over original infotainment system) and for other users in car. this gongle installed in hide area in trunk. you can buy it in amazon, ebay, aliexpress, everywhere… im using regular sim
      08-06-2023, 10:06 PM   #15
EmmTee
EmmTee
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e 2021

Quote:
Hi Jole996 ... were you able to get anywhere with a work-around that can be used to access BMW ConnectedServices?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 10:09 PM   #16
EmmTee
EmmTee
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e 2021

Quote:
Hi jole996 ... were you able to get anywhere with a work-around that can be used to access BMW ConnectedServices?
Appreciate 0