BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
x5TXguyG05
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5 (GO5)

Is CarPlay necessary???

So I've always been a big fan of CarPlay when traveling and using it in all my rental vehicles. My F15 x5 didn't have it so alway felt bummed and left out of the tech that is easy to use.

Now getting into a new G05 x5, with the new iDrive 7, I find myself really not using CarPlay that much due to how good the new iDrive is. Other than Waze's really good traffic info and hazard/police warnings, I am wondering if I really need CarPlay.

I wanted to start this thread to see what everyone else thinks. With the new iDrive, do we really need CarPlay??? Is the iDrive live traffic as good as Waze?
      11-27-2019, 12:05 PM   #2
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5TXguyG05 View Post
So I've always been a big fan of CarPlay when traveling and using it in all my rental vehicles. My F15 x5 didn't have it so alway felt bummed and left out of the tech that is easy to use.

Now getting into a new G05 x5, with the new iDrive 7, I find myself really not using CarPlay that much due to how good the new iDrive is. Other than Waze's really good traffic info and hazard/police warnings, I am wondering if I really need CarPlay.

I wanted to start this thread to see what everyone else thinks. With the new iDrive, do we really need CarPlay??? Is the iDrive live traffic as good as Waze?
Not using it. Will not pay to renew.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

It's a must for me. I don't trust the BMW nav to give me the most efficient route while avoiding traffic, so use TomTom and iDrive Nav together

If I didn't need to avoid traffic daily, the iDrive alone would be fine.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
x5TXguyG05
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrr View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

How has it been with BMW Nav and Traffic information? Do you have the same capabilities with getting and responding to texts with voice controls? How about appointments and reminders? What phone are you integrating with your car?

Sorry for all the questions, but very curious what drivers think who have gone without CarPlay for awhile
      11-27-2019, 12:29 PM   #5
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

I have an iPhone XS Max, am not using appointments or reminders to tell me when to leave etc.
Idrive nav shows Real time traffic info which is accurate most of the time, and I'm sure it's from the same traffic source as google maps and Apple maps.
Occasionally idrive nav will tell me about a traffic problem ahead recommending a different route.
The text messages you can reply to through CarPlay by voice is nice and that's something that you don't have with idrive. There may be a way but I'm not familiar with it.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
x5TXguyG05
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I have an iPhone XS Max, am not using appointments or reminders to tell me when to leave etc.
Idrive nav shows Real time traffic info which is accurate most of the time, and I'm sure it's from the same traffic source as google maps and Apple maps.
Occasionally idrive nav will tell me about a traffic problem ahead recommending a different route.
The text messages you can reply to through CarPlay by voice is nice and that's something that you don't have with idrive. There may be a way but I'm not familiar with it.
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, very helpful. Google bought Waze for their traffic intelligence and they seem to be the fastest to find traffic jams and re-reroute. In my old x5, the iDrive live traffic was no where close to the speed of Waze so ended up using Waze on my Phone for Nav.

I'll test the new iDrive vs. Waze in traffic and post results here for everyone.
      11-28-2019, 02:43 AM   #7
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, very helpful. Google bought Waze for their traffic intelligence and they seem to be the fastest to find traffic jams and re-reroute. In my old x5, the iDrive live traffic was no where close to the speed of Waze so ended up using Waze on my Phone for Nav.

I'll test the new iDrive vs. Waze in traffic and post results here for everyone.
The issue with the BMW navigation is routing. It doesn't matter how good the source traffic data is, if it doesn't know what to do with it you are going to get a less efficient route.

It's definitely better than previous iterations, but not on par with TomTom.

TomTom is the only nav app I'm aware of that allows both iDrive nav and CarPlay nav to run concurrently.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2019, 02:58 AM   #8
TJ_BMW
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d/BMW M5 F90 Comp

Garage List
BMW, at least in Australia, are possibly removing the subscription.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/810137/...-android-auto/
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2019, 05:27 AM   #9
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

For me...it is worth it. Just the simplicity of messages and calling on CarPlay vs ID7. I wanted to give it a good chance, but it can't beat CarPlay in that aspect. If BMW didn't remove the "Hold for Siri" function on the steering wheel button, I would be ok. Honestly, I use the BMW navigation, and can't say I've had any issues. Google/Waze is ok, but not much better...heck, I even don't mind Apple Maps. Waze seems to not consider making a left turn across 6 lanes of traffic at a stop sign during rush hour when deciding routes. I do like the pothole/police functions on Google/Waze though!

In short, it depends what you value with integration. CarPlay, if you're deep in with apple, is worth it. Apple Music, Podcasts, and calling/messaging seemed to be quicker, easier, and much more efficient from my experience. It's a ripoff that they charge. I wish they would give an option to not pay extra if you connected via USB, since their rationale for charging for wireless CarPlay.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2019, 02:00 PM   #10
RNorb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2024 X1 28i

Big negative for Car-play navigation for me is that it doesn't work with the head up display.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2019, 04:18 PM   #11
six
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

I didn’t have it in my F15 and like the OP was really looking forward to having it in my new G05. In fact I’d say it was one of the new features I was most looking forward to. But in reality I’ve been underwhelmed with CarPlay and after few weeks turned it off and reverted to ID7 instead. I can’t see I’ll be paying for it once the free period is up.
Appreciate 1
mcsa65.00
      11-28-2019, 06:01 PM   #12
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
I didn’t have it in my F15 and like the OP was really looking forward to having it in my new G05. In fact I’d say it was one of the new features I was most looking forward to. But in reality I’ve been underwhelmed with CarPlay and after few weeks turned it off and reverted to ID7 instead. I can’t see I’ll be paying for it once the free period is up.

Out of curiosity, what hasn’t been exciting for you? I wish there was some other customizations, but I can’t stand the way ID7 handles messaging
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 07:34 AM   #13
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Some advantages of the iDrive nav to weigh against CarPlay benefits:

1. Shows on the HUD. Very simple and useful symbols for choosing lane and seeing distance to next turn.

2. Integrates into the dashboard. Quick map-like overview of what's up.

3. Driving automation adapts to the route. Currently, for example reducing speed "before turning off", "before a roundabout", "before a bend". In the future, hopefully more.

4. Hybrid drive adapts to the route. The 45e spends battery and gas according to the amount of city and highway distance to cover.

I think it is becoming increasingly important and useful that the car knows where you are going.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 07:43 AM   #14
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perikifi View Post

1. Shows on the HUD. Very simple and useful symbols for choosing lane and seeing distance to next turn.

3. Driving automation adapts to the route. Currently, for example reducing speed "before turning off", "before a roundabout", "before a bend". In the future, hopefully more.

4. Hybrid drive adapts to the route. The 45e spends battery and gas according to the amount of city and highway distance to cover.

I think it is becoming increasingly important and useful that the car knows where you are going.

Maybe I am weird, but I use BMW Nav and only use CarPlay for Messages, Apple Music, and Podcasts. I think the BMW nav is better due to integration for displays and the driving mode. I just wish there was better implementation of messages and they kept Hold for Siri on the speak button. I do like the layout of the ID7 music, but it can be cumbersome scrolling through vs just asking Siri to play something. The messages and calling kills me though. I've tried everything to get contacts to show up on messages and it does not give. Maybe I should try again since the software update?

I cannot stand Waze's routing, it makes no sense. Google Maps is ok, but them and Apple Maps is kind of odd with the iDrive knob. Maps/Nav on BMW's side is awesome as far as functionality (scrolling, quick changes, etc).
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 08:31 AM   #15
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I agree, particularly on point 3. Thats why I use TomTom and iDrive nav together. Best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 10:48 AM   #16
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:

I agree, particularly on point 3. Thats why I use TomTom and iDrive nav together. Best of both worlds.
I thought iOS13 and the new CarPlay software allowed for 3rd party navs to display on the HUD. Am I thinking of something different?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 08:33 AM   #17
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I thought iOS13 and the new CarPlay software allowed for 3rd party navs to display on the HUD. Am I thinking of something different?
The technology is there, but maybe BMW will release an update that allows it? I absolutely LOVE the HUD navigation and general layout. To me, I could never go back to a vehicle without it. I think we will always be stuck in that weird world of BMW blaming Apple and Apple blaming BMW for technology integration that's unavailable or not working as intended.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 09:03 PM   #18
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
I only use it for Waze since there are no more "real time traffic apps" working in my country, also CarPlay has no cost down here, its free. On the other hand I love the new iDrive 7 way more than CarPlay
      12-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #19
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I was wondering about all the hype with Apply Car Play. It's not that I don't enjoy it but rather wouldn't miss it either. I was wondering if I was just missing something as this is my first car that I've owned that has it.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 09:01 AM   #20
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
I was wondering about all the hype with Apply Car Play. It's not that I don't enjoy it but rather wouldn't miss it either. I was wondering if I was just missing something as this is my first car that I've owned that has it.
It's just like anything else apple. how deep into the apple ecosystem are you? For me, being a fanboy, I have iPhone, iPad, homepods, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, watch, AirPods, Apple Music, and I crush me some podcasts.

For instance, I can pick up where I left off. Say I was on the phone, I could transfer the call to my HomePod so I don't have it next to my face. Say I need to leave the house, but am still on the call...I can transfer the call from the HomePod back to my iPhone...get in the car, and pick right up on CarPlay. Then go back in reverse order when I am home. The apps, such as music, podcasts, messenger, phone, and maps all look exactly the same (for the most part) as they do on your phone. Siri is great in conjunction with the BMW Assist. There is a lot more fluidity if you are bought in on the whole apple train.

Long story short...personal preference. I could use either iDrive or CarPlay, but I prefer CarPlay due to familiarity. It's just a shame there's a few quirks with iPhone and iDrive for messaging and some music handling. I think youll enjoy it if you can use it to the full potential..cant go wrong with either choice!
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      12-14-2019, 09:22 AM   #21
x5TXguyG05
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Quote:
It's just like anything else apple. how deep into the apple ecosystem are you? For me, being a fanboy, I have iPhone, iPad, homepods, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, watch, AirPods, Apple Music, and I crush me some podcasts.

For instance, I can pick up where I left off. Say I was on the phone, I could transfer the call to my HomePod so I don't have it next to my face. Say I need to leave the house, but am still on the call...I can transfer the call from the HomePod back to my iPhone...get in the car, and pick right up on CarPlay. Then go back in reverse order when I am home. The apps, such as music, podcasts, messenger, phone, and maps all look exactly the same (for the most part) as they do on your phone. Siri is great in conjunction with the BMW Assist. There is a lot more fluidity if you are bought in on the whole apple train.

Long story short...personal preference. I could use either iDrive or CarPlay, but I prefer CarPlay due to familiarity. It's just a shame there's a few quirks with iPhone and iDrive for messaging and some music handling. I think youll enjoy it if you can use it to the full potential..cant go wrong with either choice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Quote:

Thanks for this helpful reply.... I've found that Siri is much more user friendly and helpful than BMW Assistant, but curious how you use them together in a helpful way? Do you mean that you use BMW Assist yo control car settings and Siri for everything else?

Looks like CarPlay is now going to be free, so using both will be much more common now.
      12-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #22
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

x5TXguyG05 Yup! I use Siri for all things CarPlay and BMW Assist for the car. I am trying to get to the point where I use no buttons haha. The BMW Assist is really underrated...the temp adjustments are perfect, setting the nav is quick, and asking other questions about car status is great.

I didn't really care about CarPlay when I had it on a Ford a few years back. Now, I use it to the max, and apple seems to have a little more of an interest in it. There's not reason why you can't use CarPlay and BMW Assist together...you really get a lot out of the driving experience. I think they both have their own uses, and combined...hands down the best!
Appreciate 1