BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-27-2019, 06:15 PM   #1
x5TXguyG05
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5 (GO5)

Bimmercode Adapters

Has anyone been able to code a G05 with this adapter: Veepeak OBDCheck BLE+

I bought this one after reviewing some posts, but now think it's the wrong one for the G05. Wanted to check here before returning it.

Can someone also suggest one that has worked well with iOS and G05?

Thanks
      11-27-2019, 06:21 PM   #2
x5TXguyG05
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sorry for the typo... meant Bimmercode 😂
      11-27-2019, 07:11 PM   #3
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5TXguyG05 View Post

I bought this one after reviewing some posts, but now think it's the wrong one for the G05. Wanted to check here before returning it.

Thanks
I use OBDLink Mx+ with iPhone and works like a charm on my G05.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2019, 07:14 PM   #4
x5TXguyG05
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrr View Post
Quote:

Thanks
I use OBDLink Mx+ with iPhone and works like a charm on my G05.
Thanks
      11-27-2019, 07:16 PM   #5
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
We're going to need a new sub-forum for coding your bum.

ObTopic: I use OBDLink MX+ as the BT interface for Bimmercode, Bummercode, and others on G05 and both iOS and Android and it works well. Lightning-to-Ethernet adapter and ESys Ethernet interface is slightly less convenient and less reliable, but man is it fast — makes rapid fire what-if hacks a breeze.
      11-27-2019, 07:18 PM   #6
x5TXguyG05
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post

ObTopic: I use OBDLink MX+ as the BT interface for Bimmercode, Bummercode, and others on G05 and both iOS and Android and it works well. Lighting-to-Ethernet adapter and ESys Ethernet interface is lightly less convenient and less reliable, but man is it fast — makes rapid fire what-if hacks a breeze.
Lol, thanks
      11-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #7
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

I use the OBDLink, I have the cheaper LX model and never had an issue with it on Android, you have to get the MX+ if you use an iphone.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 12:14 PM   #8
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:

ObTopic: I use OBDLink MX+ as the BT interface for Bimmercode, Bummercode, and others on G05 and both iOS and Android and it works well. Lightning-to-Ethernet adapter and ESys Ethernet interface is slightly less convenient and less reliable, but man is it fast — makes rapid fire what-if hacks a breeze.
Does MX+ work with Esys as well? -Thanks
      11-29-2019, 12:25 PM   #9
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post
Quote:

Does MX+ work with Esys as well? -Thanks
Nope. But ESys Ethernet/ODBII adapter does work with smartphone Ethernet adapter.
      12-01-2019, 08:36 AM   #10
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

I am looking at adapters, but and torn (might end up getting both). The reviews for the MX+ are awesome, but it seems there's limitations versus the Ethernet/OBDII set up. The reviews on Amazon or the Ethernet/OBDII were a bit spotty in terms of build quality. Anyone recommend one over the other? Getting real tired of the stuff ASS function. It's a pain in the ASS (couldn't resist!) every time I get in the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 08:45 AM   #11
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
I am looking at adapters, but and torn (might end up getting both). The reviews for the MX+ are awesome, but it seems there's limitations versus the Ethernet/OBDII set up. The reviews on Amazon or the Ethernet/OBDII were a bit spotty in terms of build quality. Anyone recommend one over the other? Getting real tired of the stuff ASS function. It's a pain in the ASS (couldn't resist!) every time I get in the car.
Are you going to use Bimmercode only or advance to ESys? In either case, how often do you expect to use it (if fix a problem and leave it alone, I would guess not often; if hobby, how persistent are you in detailed hobbies)? iOS, Android, PC?

Answers above can help a recommendation, but getting to know you through your posts, I would guess OBDLink MX+ is the way to go for you.
      12-01-2019, 09:11 AM   #12
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Are you going to use Bimmercode only or advance to ESys? In either case, how often do you expect to use it (if fix a problem and leave it alone, I would guess not often; if hobby, how persistent are you in detailed hobbies)? iOS, Android, PC?

Answers above can help a recommendation, but getting to know you through your posts, I would guess OBDLink MX+ is the way to go for you.
Thanks for the reply! I am all Apple...iOS and Mac. I get paranoid that I will mess something up, so figured I would get my feet wet with Bimmercode. I want to start with the basics, which the first would be turning off ASS and keeping it off. With that said, how much can you do with Expert Mode on Bimmercode? I need to dig deeper into the limits of both, but want something that I can jump right in and enable some of those features that BMW shut off. I do not want to override any of the certain systems (IAS and Air Suspension). Was leaning towards the MX+, and I think you might have validated it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #13
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the reply! I am all Apple...iOS and Mac. I get paranoid that I will mess something up, so figured I would get my feet wet with Bimmercode. I want to start with the basics, which the first would be turning off ASS and keeping it off. With that said, how much can you do with Expert Mode on Bimmercode? I need to dig deeper into the limits of both, but want something that I can jump right in and enable some of those features that BMW shut off. I do not want to override any of the certain systems (IAS and Air Suspension). Was leaning towards the MX+, and I think you might have validated it.
Yes, I think that's the way to go. From what you're describing, your only downside (relative to Lightning Ethernet Adapter + ESys-capable Ethernet OBDII adapter) with OBDLink MX+ is speed, but at this point you want simplicity and reliability over speed and OBDLink MX+ is that.

Do follow Bimmercode instructions — Airplane Mode on, no other BT device connected (particularly not the car) other than OBDLink MX+.
      12-01-2019, 09:20 AM   #14
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

LexxM3 you hit the nail on the head. I really don't think jumping right into ESys without understanding some of the basics would be a good idea. I just want to do things right, and it seems the MX+ with Bimmercode is a good start. Plus, I don't have an ethernet port on my laptop (thanks Apple!), so thats another USB-C to ethernet adapter! Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 09:24 AM   #15
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
LexxM3 you hit the nail on the head. I really don't think jumping right into ESys without understanding some of the basics would be a good idea. I just want to do things right, and it seems the MX+ with Bimmercode is a good start. Plus, I don't have an ethernet port on my laptop (thanks Apple!), so thats another USB-C to ethernet adapter! Thanks for the help!
Yap, and also ESys is Windows-only, so much more setup to overcome that with an all Apple household :-).
      12-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #16
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

LexxM3 I want looking to get the MX+ on Amazon, but it went back up to $80...it was 20 or 25% off earlier. Scantool.com has it for $60, but I am lazy and use Amazon. Given that...the ethernet/OBDII and ethernet/lightning are much cheaper together. Would you pay the extra for the MX+ or get the other set up and have the option to go down the ESys road?

Definitely overthinking this...hence why I never started coding!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 03:50 PM   #17
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LexxM3 I want looking to get the MX+ on Amazon, but it went back up to $80...it was 20 or 25% off earlier. Scantool.com has it for $60, but I am lazy and use Amazon. Given that...the ethernet/OBDII and ethernet/lightning are much cheaper together. Would you pay the extra for the MX+ or get the other set up and have the option to go down the ESys road?

If you don't mind the wires just do that. I have the MX+ and like to be able to leave it connected and just whip out the phone to change something (takes a few minutes though, so it's not like that happens at a red light or something)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 03:52 PM   #18
x5TXguyG05
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you both for the help. Just got the MX+ and plan to set to ASS to remember the last setting. Other than using Airplane Mode and disconnecting all other BT devices, are there any other pitfalls to watch out for?

Any other handy Bimmercode options to consider while I am in there?
      12-01-2019, 03:59 PM   #19
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Thank you both for the help. Just got the MX+ and plan to set to ASS to remember the last setting. Other than using Airplane Mode and disconnecting all other BT devices, are there any other pitfalls to watch out for?

Just scroll through your options after having downloaded the UCE info. I recommend having a little notebook with you to keep track of changes in case you need to undo things. I always regret not having kept proper track of the changes.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 04:00 PM   #20
x5TXguyG05
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Just scroll through your options after having downloaded the UCE info. I recommend having a little notebook with you to keep track of changes in case you need to undo things. I always regret not having kept proper track of the changes.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the great advice, where do I download the UCE info?
      12-01-2019, 04:06 PM   #21
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Once you connect through BimmerCode it will do that and then show you what ECUs you can change settings for.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2019, 04:10 PM   #22
x5TXguyG05
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Once you connect through BimmerCode it will do that and then show you what ECUs you can change settings for.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks! I'll try to just do the ASS and see how that goes.