BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-29-2019, 04:02 PM   #1
zagyyz
Rep
Drives: /

2nd row seats on X5 with 3rd row option

On the G05 X5 with 3rd row seat option, you apparently get electric sliding and reclining for the second row to have better access to the third row. Does anybody know if the 2nd row seats are more comfortable as a result of this option, and if the seats can be reclined deeply? This would be a car often used on 4+ hour drives so it's pretty important to me.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 07:29 AM   #2
Stealthall
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagyyz View Post
On the G05 X5 with 3rd row seat option, you apparently get electric sliding and reclining for the second row to have better access to the third row. Does anybody know if the 2nd row seats are more comfortable as a result of this option, and if the seats can be reclined deeply? This would be a car often used on 4+ hour drives so it's pretty important to me.

Thanks
The seats are the same and they recline about 4-6" maybe. The motors are SLOOOOW!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'm getting a third row, the X7 is too big for me and I need the third row for occasional use.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
zagyyz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
I'm getting a third row, the X7 is too big for me and I need the third row for occasional use.
The third row certainly isn't bad and I'd probably use it sometimes, but honestly the main reason for upgrading would be for the seat adjustment on the middle row.

I've heard that with the 3rd row seat package, you get the same 2nd row bench as in the 7-seat version of the X7. If that's true (and I'm convinced it is), then this will probably be the car for me.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2019, 05:24 PM   #5
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
The third row certainly isn't bad and I'd probably use it sometimes, but honestly the main reason for upgrading would be for the seat adjustment on the middle row.

I've heard that with the 3rd row seat package, you get the same 2nd row bench as in the 7-seat version of the X7. If that's true (and I'm convinced it is), then this will probably be the car for me.
I believe you're correct. I can confirm the 2nd row is electric like the X7. I think the only difference is that X7 also has electric 3rd row where the X5 has manual 3rd row seats. Also the X5 3rd row are "jumper seats" (super thin bottom cushion) whereas X7 has "real" 3rd row seats.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 02:47 PM   #6
zagyyz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karateboi87 View Post
I believe you're correct. I can confirm the 2nd row is electric like the X7. I think the only difference is that X7 also has electric 3rd row where the X5 has manual 3rd row seats. Also the X5 3rd row are "jumper seats" (super thin bottom cushion) whereas X7 has "real" 3rd row seats.
Thanks for the info. So in terms of comfort they should be the same? (aside from legroom)

Are the 3rd row seats doable for kids for drives up to around 45 minutes? Do they have isofix points?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 06:23 PM   #7
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. So in terms of comfort they should be the same? (aside from legroom)

Are the 3rd row seats doable for kids for drives up to around 45 minutes? Do they have isofix points?
Is ISOFIX points LATCH? If so no, the 3rd row does not. I checked out the 3rd row model extensively at my local dealership.

It wasn't too bad getting in or sitting, but I'm a small guy at 5'7 and 140lbs. I don't think you want to put kids there until they're sitting in booster seats. I honestly think ladies under 5'5 will feel fine there even for a 1 hour drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 09:02 AM   #8
zagyyz
Rep

Quote:
Is ISOFIX points LATCH? If so no, the 3rd row does not. I checked out the 3rd row model extensively at my local dealership.

It wasn't too bad getting in or sitting, but I'm a small guy at 5'7 and 140lbs. I don't think you want to put kids there until they're sitting in booster seats. I honestly think ladies under 5'5 will feel fine there even for a 1 hour drive.
Yep, isofix=latch. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 09:32 AM   #9
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yep, isofix=latch. Thanks
One thing I'm interested in and probably won't find out until I get the car is, the 2nd row opens to allow 3rd row access by tilting forward in TWO sections (60/40 fashion), would it be possible to put 2 car seats side by side in the 60 section? That way we don't have to disconnect car seats to allow passengers into 3rd row as we can open up the 40 section of the bench. I'm guessing it might work for 2 small carseats but most probably not for bigger car seats.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 09:48 AM   #10
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
One thing I'm interested in and probably won't find out until I get the car is, the 2nd row opens to allow 3rd row access by tilting forward in TWO sections (60/40 fashion), would it be possible to put 2 car seats side by side in the 60 section? That way we don't have to disconnect car seats to allow passengers into 3rd row as we can open up the 40 section of the bench. I'm guessing it might work for 2 small carseats but most probably not for bigger car seats.
I know on the X7 there were two motions, the seat back would tilt forward and the entire seat would move forward and tilt up. When a car seat is present, the seat back doesn't tilt, but the entire seat still moves forward and tilts up slightly. It gives you room to access the back, just not the same amount. I don't know for sure, but I bet the X5 works in a similar fashion.

Now on the X7, if you had a forward facing seat, the 3rd latch point was on the floor behind the seat, instead of attatched to the back of the seat. That pretty much means if you're in the phase of child seat, you would have to unhook the 3rd strap every time you needed to move the seat. This was a deal breaker for me and my wife. I'm not sure if the X5 is the same way.

Edit: The X7 we were looking at had the captains chairs which is why the 3rd latch hook was on the floor.

Last edited by VTENGR; 12-05-2019 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 10:18 AM   #11
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I know on the X7 there were two motions, the seat back would tilt forward and the entire seat would move forward and tilt up. When a car seat is present, the seat back doesn't tilt, but the entire seat still moves forward and tilts up slightly. It gives you room to access the back, just not the same amount. I don't know for sure, but I bet the X5 works in a similar fashion.

Now on the X7, if you had a forward facing seat, the 3rd latch point was on the floor behind the seat, instead of attatched to the back of the seat. That pretty much means if you're in the phase of child seat, you would have to unhook the 3rd strap every time you needed to move the seat. This was a deal breaker for me and my wife. I'm not sure if the X5 is the same way.

Edit: The X7 we were looking at had the captains chairs which is why the 3rd latch hook was on the floor.
Based on my limited understanding car seat safety (as a parent I should be ashamed), the safest installation method is to have the metal hook/strap connect to the back of the seatback (and higher up the anchor point the better).

I guess I'm ok either way with the G05, but it'd just be THAT much nicer if I could put both carseats on 60 side of the bench, and use 40 as access point and additional seating. It'd get a bit ridiculous to uninstall carseats everytime we have passengers...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 10:24 AM   #12
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Based on my limited understanding car seat safety (as a parent I should be ashamed), the safest installation method is to have the metal hook/strap connect to the back of the seatback (and higher up the anchor point the better).

I guess I'm ok either way with the G05, but it'd just be THAT much nicer if I could put both carseats on 60 side of the bench, and use 40 as access point and additional seating. It'd get a bit ridiculous to uninstall carseats everytime we have passengers...
Yeah - completely understand that. Not sure how important the location of the 3rd latch hook is. The main point of it is to keep the car seat from tipping forward in a collision. So as long as it accomplishes that, it's serving it's purpose.

How often are you planning on utilizing the 3rd row? My personal opinion, if it's more than a handful of times a year, the X5 probably isn't the right SUV for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #13
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Yeah - completely understand that. Not sure how important the location of the 3rd latch hook is. The main point of it is to keep the car seat from tipping forward in a collision. So as long as it accomplishes that, it's serving it's purpose.

How often are you planning on utilizing the 3rd row? My personal opinion, if it's more than a handful of times a year, the X5 probably isn't the right SUV for you.
It might get used frequently but majority of trips will be 10-15 minute. My usage is for family (in-law, parents). I live in downtown Chicago and parking is an issue at many places. Eliminating an additional car is great when we want to go out.

Also, being Asian we're all "small people" by US standards. My father and myself are 5'7 and about 140 lbs each... all the ladies in the family are between 5'3-5'4 at 110-120lbs each. So trust me, we'll fit just fine in the X5.

We looked at the X7 and was like nope. 1) The price difference doesn't make sense to us, the cars are nearly identical minus the 3rd row, you don't even get that much cargo when 3rd row is used 2) The car is WAYYYY too big to park in the city. We honestly prefer X3's size but we can't stand the old interior (even with ID7 in MY2020 it still feels old).

If we needed a true 3rd row, we would just suck it up and get a mini van.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #14
cdchris1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
FYI - There is no LATCH/isofix points for the middle position, you can only install a car seat there using the seatbelt. There is another post somewhere here or on the X7 forum discussing it as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 01:29 PM   #15
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdchris1 View Post
FYI - There is no LATCH/isofix points for the middle position, you can only install a car seat there using the seatbelt. There is another post somewhere here or on the X7 forum discussing it as well.
Thanks. Like I was saying, using the top anchor (behind seatback) and seatbelt itself is the most secure way actually. LATCH is for convenience, not for optimal safety.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #16
zagyyz
Rep

Quote:
It might get used frequently but majority of trips will be 10-15 minute. My usage is for family (in-law, parents). I live in downtown Chicago and parking is an issue at many places. Eliminating an additional car is great when we want to go out.

Also, being Asian we're all "small people" by US standards. My father and myself are 5'7 and about 140 lbs each... all the ladies in the family are between 5'3-5'4 at 110-120lbs each. So trust me, we'll fit just fine in the X5.

We looked at the X7 and was like nope. 1) The price difference doesn't make sense to us, the cars are nearly identical minus the 3rd row, you don't even get that much cargo when 3rd row is used 2) The car is WAYYYY too big to park in the city. We honestly prefer X3's size but we can't stand the old interior (even with ID7 in MY2020 it still feels old).

If we needed a true 3rd row, we would just suck it up and get a mini van.
Not just that. X3 has pretty mediocre quality interior trim for the price point. Honestly IMO the 3 series feels much better to the touch and better screwed in (but 3er is way too small for a family over 3 people).

I didn't know that brand new X3s got ID7. Did the 5 series get it too?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 02:53 PM   #17
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not just that. X3 has pretty mediocre quality interior trim for the price point. Honestly IMO the 3 series feels much better to the touch and better screwed in (but 3er is way too small for a family over 3 people).

I didn't know that brand new X3s got ID7. Did the 5 series get it too?
What they did was basically give out the old navigation ID6 for free, then offer ID7 as a standalone option for about $1K, or part of premium package. It's really weird to see 2 gen's of ID in a single model year. We test drove an 2020 X3 with ID7, and the screen itself is identical to X5, but I think the navigation screen is still the original size and also not "connected" like the X5.

I think 5 series will get a refresh and just get ID7, most likely.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 10:18 PM   #18
njguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 m3

3 row option still available on m50

I was trying to build an x5 m50 on USA site and don't see an option to add a third row. Is this still available?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 10:34 PM   #19
mavjay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
I was trying to build an x5 m50 on USA site and don't see an option to add a third row. Is this still available?
I always thought you couldn't get the third row option on the m50i and it's only available in the 40i. At least in Canada..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 07:55 AM   #20
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Could never get the 3rd row on the M50i. Defintiley on the 40i, maybe on the 50i.

Edit: Attached pricing guide - was never available for the M50i or 50i.
Attached Images

Last edited by VTENGR; 06-11-2020 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 12:22 PM   #21
mcsa
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d 2020

Garage List
You can get M50d with 3rd row - in Europe at least
Appreciate 0