BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-30-2019, 04:49 AM   #1
Stealthall
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

SW Update - Driving Modes

Just got my X5 back, on top of a couple external things they did some software updates that "were recommended"

I have noticed that when I go to the driving modes in the idrive, there is Individual and Eco in a list style view, it used to be 4 modes in a horizontal graphic view.

When i push the the different driving mode buttons on the console there is no visual indication that the mode is changing....!

Anyone else see this? Know what this is?

FYI - I have coded some stuff with Bimmercode....anything in there I may have altered not knowing?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 07:36 AM   #2
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Do you have a picture?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 07:48 AM   #3
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthall View Post
Just got my X5 back, on top of a couple external things they did some software updates that "were recommended"

I have noticed that when I go to the driving modes in the idrive, there is Individual and Eco in a list style view, it used to be 4 modes in a horizontal graphic view.

When i push the the different driving mode buttons on the console there is no visual indication that the mode is changing....!

FYI - I have coded some stuff with Bimmercode....anything in there I may have altered not knowing?
If you're talking about what I think you're talking about then that setting in the menu is to change the settings for those modes but not to select the driving mode. You still have to do that with the select buttons on the center console.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 08:16 AM   #4
Stealthall
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrr View Post
Quote:

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about then that setting in the menu is to change the settings for those modes but not to select the driving mode. You still have to do that with the select buttons on the center console.

Yes. What is interesting is that when I select a mode nothing comes up on the screen, I can see the dash color change a bit but that is it

I also changed the instrument cluster to M layout....wonder if that disabled seeing the driving mode?

Attached two photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 08:27 AM   #5
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
I also changed the instrument cluster to M layout....wonder if that disabled seeing the driving mode?
Yes, M dash layout is missing indication of driving mode. Discussed many times.

I am all for holding BMW 100% accountable for their bugs. But we have to be extremely careful to NEVER blame them for something related to our coding change. I am glad you correlated it, but anyone that codes, you have that complete responsibility.
      11-30-2019, 08:31 AM   #6
Stealthall
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:

I am all for holding BMW 100% accountable for their bugs. But we have to be extremely careful to NEVER blame them for something related to our coding change. I am glad you correlated it, but anyone that codes, you have that complete responsibility.
That explains it then.

After the software update it does not come up on the nav screen what mode you moved to?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 08:39 AM   #7
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That explains it then.

After the software update it does not come up on the nav screen what mode you moved to?
I have immediately become partial to Alpina dash.

Mine is going in for 11/2019.35 on Tue, so we'll see what that brings. I'll be restoring all coding to stock this weekend to eliminate any bug "friction" between stock and coded and to start 11/2019.35 with a clean slate.
      11-30-2019, 08:47 AM   #8
Stealthall
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That explains it then.

Mine is going in for 11/2019.35 on Tue, so we'll see what that brings. I'll be restoring all coding to stock this weekend to eliminate any bug "friction" between stock and coded and to start 11/2019.35 with a clean slate.

Does Alpina show the drive mode?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 08:55 AM   #9
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthall
Yes, one of the reasons I am partial to it :-).
      11-30-2019, 09:17 AM   #10
KrisV
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 M Competition

Garage List
that's why i'd stay with normal bmw layout or alpina. you will also lose the tach in HUD on m layout. i'm wondering if you can code driving modes as well as tach back in on m layout though...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #11
Stealthall
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That explains it then.

Awesome - giving it a shot!

Another question, does bimmercode have the ability to make the daytime leds brighter?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 09:44 AM   #12
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That explains it then.

I wish I was more organized. I don't think I could code everything back to default without recreating cafd files from FA.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 09:51 AM   #13
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrr View Post
I wish I was more organized. I don't think I could code everything back to default without recreating cafd files from FA.
With the engine running just select all ECU that have cafd (except DME) and do Code.

Then sit back and wait. It will be back at the default for that i-step based on the currently written FA.

Getting back to the previous coding state is another matter. No 'safe' short-cut for that after a major i-step update.
Appreciate 1
LexxM31698.50
      11-30-2019, 09:56 AM   #14
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Restoring to stock is always good practise prior to a dealer visit, but the i-step upgrade will Code each flashed ECU based on the new i-step, written FA, and your car build-level, so your FDL coding will be wiped either way.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 10:00 AM   #15
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:
Restoring to stock is always good practise prior to a dealer visit, but the i-step upgrade will Code each flashed ECU based on the new i-step, written FA, and your car build-level, so your FDL coding will be wiped either way.
I don't think that is guaranteed (not every ECU will be updated on each update), but likely. But as I know you do, I'd like to promote Coding Code of Responsibility and Best Practice and restoring to stock before dealer visit or bug reporting is part of that.
      11-30-2019, 10:45 AM   #16
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I don't think that is guaranteed (not every ECU will be updated on each update), but likely. But as I know you do, I'd like to promote Coding Code of Responsibility and Best Practice and restoring to stock before dealer visit or bug reporting is part of that.
Yeah, probably worth comparing your SVT pre and post upgrade to determine what's changed (cafd, swfl).

The interesting commonly coded ECU (HU, KOMBI, SAS, BDC, KAFAS) always seem to get flashed, and a later version of cafd are required to code.
Appreciate 1
LexxM31698.50
      11-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #17
Stealthall
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So, with the Alpina you lose the tac and speed digits?

When I cycle the BC button to turn them on, they go off 10 seconds later...normal? Something I am doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 02:00 PM   #18
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

When I cycle the BC button to turn them on, they go off 10 seconds later...normal? Something I am doing wrong?
Not for me. Not sure what's going on on yours, but you might want to reboot iDrive and then might want to restore stock coding from backup, verify everything, and start again.

Only known non-trivial problem with Alpina dash is speedometer needle miscalibration against the dial on some ISTEP versions including my 3/2019.45 version; some later versions appear to be fine even then. There is also a small blue background come-and-go bug on my version that others don't observe, but it is of completely trivial impact.
      11-30-2019, 02:12 PM   #19
Stealthall
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not for me. Not sure what's going on on yours, but you might want to reboot iDrive and then might want to restore stock coding from backup, verify everything, and start again.

Only known non-trivial problem with Alpina dash is speedometer needle miscalibration against the dial on some ISTEP versions including my 3/2019.45 version; some later versions appear to be fine even then. There is also a small blue background come-and-go bug on my version that others don't observe, but it is of completely trivial impact.

I will give that a try
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 02:30 PM   #20
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I will give that a try
My pic for demonstration:
Attached Images

11-30-2019, 02:53 PM   #21
Stealthall
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I will give that a try

Figured it out. I had the "reduced mode" on. Turn that off and she's good to go!
Appreciate 1
LexxM31698.50
      11-30-2019, 04:48 PM   #22
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I will give that a try

Figured it out. I had the "reduced mode" on. Turn that off and she's good to go!
What is reduced mode?:
Appreciate 0