BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-03-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Entire computer system being replaced

I had sent the car in for issues surrounding the alignment and ended up replacing the head unit and the cameras. With the car at the dealer for over a week I am beginning to maybe regret this one.

From day one the alignment was off. Brought it back to the dealer to get it fixed and then miraculously it happened again after 1K. Back to the dealer to get it adjusted and this is the third time that it was in the shop. Note that they didn't charge me once for this which if we know any better they always try to charge for it.

I complained about the car drifting, head unit repeatedly rebooting, and warning messages about the safety system malfunctioning.

The fun part was when I asked them to check the front end again the system rebooted on the drive. Apparently this is a safety issue so they grounded the car to replace the unit.

Wondering if others experienced the same. I think there is something wrong with the lane assist - maybe the gear unit has too much free play or something.

Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:57 PM   #2
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

OK this might be related, but yesterday I had a very similar thing happen to me, only once.

I was driving along at around 70kph, next thing I know the instrument cluster blacks out completed, and I get the error message "Driver Assistance Restricted" on the centre head unit. Around 5 seconds later, it came back - but it was as scary as hell - I've never lost the instrument cluster while driving.

I cant remember if I'd lost the HUD, I was too focussed on watching the Instrument cluster to see when (if??) it came back .....

Seriously, the car's been flawless to date, but to lose the Instrument cluster? - WTF?

I'm still on 07/2019.47. My car is going into the dealer on Monday for a S/W upgrade to the latest.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 07:12 PM   #3
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
I had everything in my car do dark, instrument cluster and the center stack while going 90mph it was scary, instrument panel came back after 10s but not knowing anything isn't fun. it's never happened again thankfully
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 08:27 PM   #4
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

What’s normal for misalignment on the cameras? I notice a slight break where I can tell the camera apart on the top down, but nothing crazy. I assume this was normal?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 08:51 PM   #5
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
What's normal for misalignment on the cameras? I notice a slight break where I can tell the camera apart on the top down, but nothing crazy. I assume this was normal?
That's normal. Some people have this:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 10:52 PM   #6
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I had everything in my car do dark, instrument cluster and the center stack while going 90mph it was scary, instrument panel came back after 10s but not knowing anything isn't fun. it's never happened again thankfully
What's interesting is the technician stopped the test drive because the car was deemed no longer safe.

They ordered a part and thought that it would take 2 weeks. But apparently they had some locally like this is a known issue.

I had all of those signs - unit going blank and reduced assistance message. It was only until they saw it themselves did they say it was unsafe.

Still have the alignment issue though. Wish they would fix that. I think it has something to do with the steering control motor/gears.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 11:17 PM   #7
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep

2019 BMW X5 equipment adaptive TSB (Bulletin B662019)
Bulletin Date: Jul. 1, 2019
Component: Equipment adaptive.
Bulletin Summary: Service action: replace kafas (camera-based driver assistance system) camera: a malfunction of the kafas camera can occur due to a voltage supply fault. This triggers a check control message (ccm) to be displayed sporadically during the dri
Vehicles covered in this TSB:
2019 BMW 330I, 2019 BMW M850i, 2019 BMW X5, 2019 BMW X7, 2019 BMW Z4.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 11:22 PM   #8
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyxy View Post
2019 BMW X5 equipment adaptive TSB (Bulletin B662019)
Bulletin Date: Jul. 1, 2019
Component: Equipment adaptive.
Bulletin Summary: Service action: replace kafas (camera-based driver assistance system) camera: a malfunction of the kafas camera can occur due to a voltage supply fault. This triggers a check control message (ccm) to be displayed sporadically during the dri
Vehicles covered in this TSB:
2019 BMW 330I, 2019 BMW M850i, 2019 BMW X5, 2019 BMW X7, 2019 BMW Z4.
Awesome, I'll raise this TSB with them when I take her in on Monday for the S/W upgrade and 1st check.

Is that a Worldwide TSB?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 10:47 AM   #9
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Stinkyxy I had this issue and had the camera and windshield replaced. It's strange, since I had no issues, but apparently the dealership plugged in and it threw a fault.

hkleyman Wow...mine is definitely not off lol. I never know what is normal or crapped out with this car, but this definitely is crapped. At least your (A) camera icon is on!

As a side note regarding the windshields. Having had 2 already...they seem very fragile. Also, no idea why, but it always looks like there's towel fibers on the glass especially seen at night with oncoming headlights. I did the hobo cleaning with some newspaper and Invisible Glass and still noticed it. I guess it is normal?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 12:43 PM   #10
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyxy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
What's interesting is the technician stopped the test drive because the car was deemed no longer safe.

They ordered a part and thought that it would take 2 weeks. But apparently they had some locally like this is a known issue.

I had all of those signs - unit going blank and reduced assistance message. It was only until they saw it themselves did they say it was unsafe.

Still have the alignment issue though. Wish they would fix that. I think it has something to do with the steering control motor/gears.
At least you seem to have some competent ones there, I can't say the same to any dealership I've been to in Texas.

I literally had my has pedal detach from the floor and no one said it was unsafe at the dealership or BMW NA... mines fixed now but still I wish people here had similar judgment.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 07:01 PM   #11
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
NA... mines fixed now but still I wish people here had similar judgment.
So, what are you trying to say here? "Misery Loves Company"? Do you want others to chime in and say they agree with you? Or, do you want others to say the had the same problem?

Not trying to be a "Dic..K", just trying to understand what your looking for based on your statement.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 07:40 PM   #12
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
So, what are you trying to say here? "Misery Loves Company"? Do you want others to chime in and say they agree with you? Or, do you want others to say the had the same problem?

Not trying to be a "Dic..K", just trying to understand what your looking for based on your statement.
Isn't he referring to wishing DEALERS in his city had similar (sound) judgement as the dealer the OP is talking about? Not a comment on the forum members I believe
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 10:34 PM   #13
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:

Isn't he referring to wishing DEALERS in his city had similar (sound) judgement as the dealer the OP is talking about? Not a comment on the forum members I believe
I would say that this was more of a competent tech vs dealer. I've had many issues with the dealer. But I will say this, I was very surprised that they grounded the car. I was expecting them to give it back to me for 2 weeks.

I had a squeak in my front suspension on my last X5. They replaced the entire front end and it was still these. I politely pointed out that it was the struts and nada. So I returned when the lease was over.

Competence is a hit and miss.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41908.00