BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-25-2020, 04:52 AM   #1
kebiN
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Luggage Compartment Separating Net - retrofit?

Does anybody know if its possible to buy separately/ retrofit a Luggage Compartment Separating Net, for the X5 45e, because I never noticed that little item (nor did my sales man) and now that I sometimes fill the entire cargo compartment i fell that it would be nice to have something to protect my kids.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 05:05 AM   #2
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

I believe you can buy the net at your BMW dealer and attach it by yourself.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 05:40 AM   #3
kebiN
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Still waiting for a definite answer from salesman but first impression is it might not be possible
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 06:07 AM   #4
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebiN View Post
Does anybody know if its possible to buy separately/ retrofit a Luggage Compartment Separating Net, for the X5 45e, because I never noticed that little item (nor did my sales man) and now that I sometimes fill the entire cargo compartment i fell that it would be nice to have something to protect my kids.

Thanks!
If you want a net between the back seat and luggage compartment you can just order it.

It is fixed on the back of the seats and to the roof (behind the plastic flaps). No special installation needed.

It is good to have when driving with a lot of luggage. It does the trick but a (little) bit difficult to install. Not to install every day. You need to install before putting in the luggage.

My f11 had a net in the luggage cover. Now that one is lighter and smaller in the g05 but the net is separate.

The net fits under the cargo floor together with the blue charging cable.

I wonder why you didn't get it. Shouldn't it be standard. I don't know if it was part of my travel pack but I had mine on delivery.

Just check if touchable the plastic flaps in the roof with oval holes behind and if you have attachments on the back of your back seats.

Ps just to be sure : it is not under your luggage compartment and you haven't found it?

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25667356
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 10:46 AM   #5
kebiN
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Quote:

Thanks!
If you want a net between the back seat and luggage compartment you can just order it.

It is fixed on the back of the seats and to the roof (behind the plastic flaps). No special installation needed.

It is good to have when driving with a lot of luggage. It does the trick but a (little) bit difficult to install. Not to install every day. You need to install before putting in the luggage.

My f11 had a net in the luggage cover. Now that one is lighter and smaller in the g05 but the net is separate.

I wonder why you didn't get it. Shouldn't it be standard. I don't know if it was part of my travel pack but I had mine on delivery.

Just check if touchable the plastic flaps in the roof with oval holes behind and if you have attachments on the back of your back seats.

Ps just to be sure : it is not under your luggage compartment and you haven't found it?

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!

Unfortunately it is not in the compartment under the luggage, I did go there hoping it was there but just found the first aid kit.

In Portugal, when I bought it (August 19) there were no packs (except M package). So everything is hand picked individually, and probably nobody ticked the box... i dont see the plastic flaps on the roof to attach anything..😔
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 11:08 AM   #6
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:

It's kind of hard to miss when you want to get the charger or cable out, not the most practical place to store it to be honest.
i haven't tried to install it but if the plastic flaps in the roof are not there is may become very expensive to retrofit :/

As an alternative, for my previous car I purchased an generic net with some hooks that you could securely attach to the roof handles, backseat headrests, and basically any sturdy point you could find.
Not as good as the factory net I suppose, but better than nothing.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 12:05 PM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Ditto...if you don't have the net...you can order it along with the mounting hardware. The net and supplemental mounting hardware can be found in the parts database:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 06:32 PM   #8
kebiN
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Ditto...if you don't have the net...you can order it along with the mounting hardware. The net and supplemental mounting hardware can be found in the parts database:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post

Thank you! Looks a good solution!!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 07:21 AM   #9
egoncalves
Registered
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Bmw730d e65, BMW X5 45e

Did you got sorted? I am also
From Portugal and got the same problem. Car ordered and this option
Not thiked. Car is being built and I cannot add this anymore.
We’re you able to get the mounts near the roof top?

Nao
Conseguiu
Alterar. Carro em produçăo. A questăo é se da para colocarmos apois no tecto depois.

Resolver?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 11:04 AM   #10
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
I didn't even know this option existed in Canada! Is this region specific offers? I had a Costco run yesterday and I was thinking OMG the cargo with full of stuffs could spell disaster with a simple hard brake!

Have anyone done a retrofit with this?
      04-19-2021, 11:57 AM   #11
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
I didn't even know this option existed in Canada! Is this region specific offers? I had a Costco run yesterday and I was thinking OMG the cargo with full of stuffs could spell disaster with a simple hard brake!

Have anyone done a retrofit with this?

You have to have the roof mounting points in your car, which we don't have in the US and I suspect Canada is the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 03:40 PM   #12
egoncalves
Registered
Portugal
Rep

The question is if you can retrofit the roof mounting points.

I have found a retrofit option ( easy and no screws ) but not from bmw.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 03:43 PM   #13
egoncalves
Registered
Portugal
Rep

https://www.travall.co.uk/media/pdf/TDG1630.pdf

Here is a retrofit from non bmw. No need to have the roof mounting points.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2021, 06:32 PM   #14
egoncalves
Registered
Portugal
Rep

This one looks better

https://www.kleinmetall.de/en/master...-2018-20300175
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2023, 04:12 AM   #15
rosino
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

So I have been looking at a few X5s on the used market in the U.K.

It looks like if the option was not ticked from factory then the hooks to attach the net are not present.

Option code was 413. Luggage compartment separating net.

It seems like a gross oversight from BMW, everything is so well thought out I don’t understand how a net to make sure luggage if stored above the normal cover level cannot be secured and separated from the cabin.

My C63 has a net integrated in the luggage compartment cover that you simply pull up and attach, thus securing the cargo and acting as a 2 in 1 solution.

Another car am looking at has the very complex 418 luggage compartment package but seems to be missing the net too. So again if you need to secure the area up up the roof liner you cannot unless you opt for a dog guard cage style type solution. Which is mental.

So like like 413 should have really been standard or at least the hooks should have been.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 09:17 AM   #16
E91toG05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

The solution bmw had in wagons decades ago was so far superior. Miss the E91 sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 09:43 AM   #17
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Roof box aside, I'm not crazed about having stuff that high ..... Drivers are so poor on the roads these days, I'm generally keen on seeing a more than a few paces up front and in the rear. Not being able to see the rearview would mean one less luggage.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 04:13 PM   #18
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91toG05 View Post
The solution bmw had in wagons decades ago was so far superior. Miss the E91 sometimes.
Ditto...my e39 540iT had a dual cargo cover/net...and the net that went up to the roof had two securing locations. One on the B pillar and one on the C pillar. The net could be pulled up to the ceiling from the normal location behind the rear seats...or you could move the cartridge to the location in front of the rear seat lower section and pull the net up to the hooks near the B pillar when the rear seats were folded down for more cargo storage.

Plus this second location allowed storage of the cartridge when it needed to be out of the way.

BMW has recently been more helpful with the latest SAVs by creating a storage location for the rear cargo cover below the cargo floor. I wish my e53 X5 and f15 X5 had a place to store the cover.

E39 Touring's Cargo cover:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 02:07 PM   #19
rosino
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

My C63 has the dual parcel shelf plus net which is really handy if I transport anything large enough that it prevents the parcel shelf to shut.

Really not sure why BMW cheapened out on this one which is just something far more useful than the option of the automatic cover coming out of the floor which you can spec for non hybrid and non 7 seaters. Give me a net.

So far one dealer told me not possible to retrofit as you can buy parts but there’s no instructions. The other one told me yes no issues, parts are 500 pounds easy job. Go figure. I will try a few more dealers to check what they think :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 02:33 PM   #20
Jacek_PL
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40d, BMW X1, MB GLA AMG

Was it possible to solve the problem? Was it possible to retrofit this luggage net? I have the same problem in a bmw x7 - I forgot to add the option, I thought it was not a problem, and now it turns out that to buy a net is one thing, but in the car there are no mounting points... I wonder if it goes to add them (the headliner in the parts base is only in 1 type...).
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 05:32 PM   #21
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacek_PL View Post
Was it possible to solve the problem? Was it possible to retrofit this luggage net? I have the same problem in a bmw x7 - I forgot to add the option, I thought it was not a problem, and now it turns out that to buy a net is one thing, but in the car there are no mounting points... I wonder if it goes to add them (the headliner in the parts base is only in 1 type...).
Did you see my reply back on 2/27/24 on the X7 forum? If not, here’s a direct link to it: https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2085755

I would ask someone in the Parts department at your local BMW dealership that has been there for awhile (or ask the manager) if they know how to access BMW ASAP (after sales accessory portal). There may be installation instructions if you order the net as an accessory.

I also posted an illustration of the headliner for the X7 (there’s only one) and it looks like there’s indentation designed into the headliner to accept the supports for the cargo net.

Appreciate 0