BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-02-2022, 03:08 PM   #23
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
There are risks in the system as none of these will be perfect no matter how much code and sensors there are...

I believe, can be corrected if wrong, you can override it using the gas pedal. I believe you have to take your foot off the gas then apply gas again to override. If it applied it while you were accelerating it won't listen if you press harder. At least on my car and this is faint memory from the one rare time I had it engage when I was doing 70MPH. Overriding it took a second and was a non-issue...

In my case I think it was the sun hitting the camera in just the right way to cause a significant shadow. But generally you want to keep your windshield and sensors as clear as possible. So use the wash function regularly especially in snowy and road salt conditions...

If the system detects bad weather it will turn itself off, but that's not perfect I imagine.

Either way, report it to NHTSA. The only way to get the government to know they need to force a recall or tweaks is to let them know...

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem

They are actively trying to compile data on this stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 04:09 PM   #24
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Though I've never experienced a situation where the system applied braking as you described.

I've experienced recent conditions where I'm traveling on the VA Express Lanes with active cruise, alongside local highway traffic crawling, and the system falsely detected slow traffic ahead and applied short emergency braking but resumed. It only happened once.

I discerned it to the radars detection local traffic through the light barrier poles running along side express and local traffic.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 08:50 PM   #25
rpm50i
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 m50i (in build)

this is concerning. one of the reasons why i am getting a new car is because i wanted the preventative safety features. the car i traded in only had collision warning, not mitigation. looks like the features are still not fully tuned.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 10:55 PM   #26
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

I'm sure the manufacturers would assure you that 99.99% of the time, the car behaves exactly as intended, and only 0.01% of the time does it possibly do random dangerous stuff. So you're basically fine; if you drive for 10,000 seconds, maybe one of those will have a random swerve into another lane or slam on the brakes from 80mph, but the other 9999 seconds will be smooth sailing.

Granted, that might be a bit optimistic; in my experience, it's probably only ~3000 seconds between each random false-positive intervention from lane departure assist while on the freeway, but you get the idea.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 10:56 PM   #27
Spencergnyc
Spencer Gotts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 Xdrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
Do you have a dash cam? If yes, save the clip that shows this behavior.

Regardless, get this documented as an issue with your dealer; have them look at the logs (and dash cam video, if available) to see if anything was captured by the system computer as to why the emergency brake was triggered.

Once you have all this information, log a complaint with NHTSA.
Filed a complaint today. Unfortunately I didn’t press the save button in time as I have my car set to 20 seconds, and it simply didn’t occur to me until later.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2022, 10:58 PM   #28
Spencergnyc
Spencer Gotts
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pinã View Post
Hold down the active safety button on the dash and turn all that rubbish off.
While sometimes I want to, the car has saved my ass enough times to warrant me keeping it on.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 11:00 PM   #29
Spencergnyc
Spencer Gotts
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc42 View Post
I don't have my car yet and my current M5 is completely free of assistance systems, but I would expect that you can at least override if you accelerate beyond the kick down point of the pedal. Did that still not work or were you just too panicked to do that (which would be highly understandable when the situation is new)?
It’s a bit fuzzy to me, but I think I was too flabbergasted to react in time. I also have maybe gone full throttle once in 3 years so it’s not exactly instinct for me to mash the pedal.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 11:02 PM   #30
Spencergnyc
Spencer Gotts
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
OP, one of the three options for such warnings did you use early, late, or the middle option?
Have it set to middle. Every assistance system is on medium.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 11:06 PM   #31
Spencergnyc
Spencer Gotts
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
What driver assist options were turned on? And where the ones turned on appropriate for the driving conditions? Are there other options for the programs that are turned on that could have caused a different reaction (like early/med/late warning)?

The “red car” icon has two conditions…the first is just a visual alert that a collision is possible (your supposed to increase distance or slow down)…the second is an acute warning (flashing icon along with an audible alert) that means a collision is eminent and immediate action needs to be taken (along with the electronic nannies kicking in). Do the owners know and understand these difference when the “red car” alert is seen?
Every assistance was on, all set to medium. Been like that since I got the car. No rain or snow. Roads were a bit wet from melted snow. Was about 35F. All I remember was seeing a red car and everything else is a blur. I’m not sure if it flashed but it definitely sounded an alarm.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 11:07 PM   #32
Spencergnyc
Spencer Gotts
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Do you have Driver's Assistance Pro?
Yes, the professional package. I was driving manually at the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 11:10 PM   #33
Spencergnyc
Spencer Gotts
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Snow could be part of the OP problem...the camera could have become blocked. It shouldn't affect the radars (if you have that option) as much. I've been able to overcome the deceleration when this happens (not often). I tend to notice this most when someone cuts in front of me without leaving much room, the vehicle will slow rapidly to restore the preset gap. I just put some pressure on the accelerator and maintain my speed without problem.
Before I set off I cleared all the snow and ice off my car. Matter of fact I even cleaned the cameras and sensors because I was worried something like this would happen. This scenario I was driving manually, and when the AEB kicked in the brakes came on so hard my seat moved up and my seatbelts locked up. It took the wind out of me. Couldn’t exactly take over in time.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 11:17 PM   #34
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

Wow that’s scary and concerning but I was not completely surprised it would do such thing. My iDrive rebooted itself completely once when I was turning into a street with moving cars. The whole screen was blacked out. I thought it would stop and be rear ended. Scary as &$&$. My front sensors randomly stop working. I randomly get alert for the front camera for no reason. I randomly get uneven surface alert when the road is just as flat as it can be and none when it was supposed to. So your car probably “saw” something. I would definitely file a complaint. The more we know, the more I wonder if it’s worth the “driving experience”. Bmw should have done a better job testing their new products. Hope you get over that feel soon. That rebooting stayed on my mind for a good period.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 12:39 AM   #35
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

I've had this happen in my 2020 G06 maybe 3-4 times in 2-years and 24,000+ miles. In pretty much all of the cases, I saw the large, red, flashing car, got the "beep, beep, beep" (I think it's 3 quick beeps/chimes) and it briefly applied emergency breaking. I either took control or it discovered there was nothing there within maybe a second and the alarm and breaking ceased.

Never anything as severe as the OP indicated and I think there was nothing consistent about the occurrences. I'm pretty sure I've never had the seat belts lock. (I think I had ACC on 2 of the times, one time I know I didn't, which was the most significant one (partly because I was slowing down to a stop sign at about 20 miles an hour, so even a brief emergency break brought the vehicle to a near complete stop...))

I had the same thing happen on our F15, but that's always the same scenario. ACC is enabled, passing a semi on the interstate, and the semi serves towards and maybe barely crosses the center line. The radar/sensors pick-up on the "crowding" and will apply a brief emergency stop until I take over...Probably happened at least a dozen times or more in about 7 years and 90K miles...

But, as was mentioned, it's probably saved me more than any "scare" I've had in false alarms.

The worst thing for me tends to be the "scream and stare" from my wife and the "What are you doing?" question...
      02-03-2022, 12:36 PM   #36
bceye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

This happened on my MY'22 a month ago. I was on a local road driving 30mph, car in front moved to the middle turning lane. My car freaked out, it showed red cross traffic warning and slammed on the breaks bringing the car to a halt. Guy behind me almost hit me.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 05:21 PM   #37
deadlion
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i MSport (PCD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmabody View Post
I've had my BMW for ~6 month now, and a couple months in I almost got stuck in my garage.
Though I didn't get stuck my 2018 530e did do this twice - once while exiting the garage and once in front of the garage. Both times were when going from shade to full bright sun.
1990 BMW 735i
1984 BMW 533i (missing it)
Appreciate 1
sigmabody185.00
      02-03-2022, 05:36 PM   #38
Spencergnyc
Spencer Gotts
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10101X5 View Post
Wow that’s scary and concerning but I was not completely surprised it would do such thing. My iDrive rebooted itself completely once when I was turning into a street with moving cars. The whole screen was blacked out. I thought it would stop and be rear ended. Scary as &$&$. My front sensors randomly stop working. I randomly get alert for the front camera for no reason. I randomly get uneven surface alert when the road is just as flat as it can be and none when it was supposed to. So your car probably “saw” something. I would definitely file a complaint. The more we know, the more I wonder if it’s worth the “driving experience”. Bmw should have done a better job testing their new products. Hope you get over that feel soon. That rebooting stayed on my mind for a good period.
I used to have a 2014 F15 with basic safety features. Lane departure, BSM, AEB etc. while AEB was the only one that actually did more than make a noise or alert me, that car never once in 7 years gave a false alert/indication. I learned to trust it a lot. Once I got this car and used ACC for the first time, I was immediately unsettled. It doesn’t see cars changing lanes at all, it brakes hard and accelerates pretty hard too. Once you add lane keep into the mix it becomes a shit show. I have the car randomly swerve, fling me out of the lane, or just turn off at 80 mid turn. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to fully trust this car.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 05:56 PM   #39
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

On my last long road trip, I was going around a curve on the interstate, a tractor trailer crowded my lane, the X5 showed a warning, and moved out of its lane to keep some distance. The times when it has intervened, it's been understandable.

What version of software do you have in your vehicle? Each OTA update improves and hopefully fixes glitches they find. Some people avoid doing any updates which may not be wise in the long run. If there's a glitch in your system, it may not even try to update, which should call for an intervention.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 06:09 PM   #40
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It sounds like BMW is not the only manufacturer struggling with this issue, as per this article today: https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/03/busin...ing/index.html
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 06:17 PM   #41
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencergnyc View Post
I used to have a 2014 F15 with basic safety features. Lane departure, BSM, AEB etc. while AEB was the only one that actually did more than make a noise or alert me, that car never once in 7 years gave a false alert/indication. I learned to trust it a lot. Once I got this car and used ACC for the first time, I was immediately unsettled. It doesn’t see cars changing lanes at all, it brakes hard and accelerates pretty hard too. Once you add lane keep into the mix it becomes a shit show. I have the car randomly swerve, fling me out of the lane, or just turn off at 80 mid turn. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to fully trust this car.
This is more or less my experience as well, especially the ACC hard acceleration and braking thing, although I would note that this is somewhat improved with the latest software release (to the point where it is still not perfect, but no longer "why would you do that" inducing in more cases).

But totally agree with the psychological aspect: I learned to trust my Acura's lane keeping assist, because it worked well most of the time, and when it didn't, it just disabled. The BMW, on the other hand, can't do lane keeping without also cruise control (which you can somewhat mitigate by reducing the cruise speed manually down to some low number, but that's tedious to do manually every time), and when it gets confused it tends to swerve rather than disable. The Acura was nowhere near the overall quality of the BMW, and I wouldn't call their driver assistance software "good", but it looks good in comparison. I'd say the quality of the driving assistance software, or lack thereof, is the largest disappointment for me with my BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 06:23 PM   #42
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmabody View Post
The BMW, on the other hand, can't do lane keeping without also cruise control (which you can somewhat mitigate by reducing the cruise speed manually down to some low number, but that's tedious to do manually every time), and when it gets confused it tends to swerve rather than disable. T
This is not correct. Lane keeping and cruise are two separate features. Lane keeping (without or without steering intervention) is a safety feature that is active unless you turn it off. The only time it automatically is turned off is if you engage Cruise mode 2 or 3 since then the cruise is doing the steering.
      02-05-2022, 12:37 AM   #43
Rondi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 BMW X6 40i, ‘14 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
This is not correct. Lane keeping and cruise are two separate features. Lane keeping (without or without steering intervention) is a safety feature that is active unless you turn it off. The only time it automatically is turned off is if you engage Cruise mode 2 or 3 since then the cruise is doing the steering.
I turned lane keeping off, as one of my trips coming back to Houston from San Antonio it swerved me out of my lane and I almost had a crash into a Mercedes Benz sedan
      02-05-2022, 02:51 AM   #44
walkday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

If/when the red car alert is flashing and the car is braking by itself incorrectly, what should I do to take over? Press the gas pedal?
Appreciate 0