06-24-2023, 07:33 PM   #23
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swainbmw View Post
I have had both and as always the Germany 🇩🇪 cars are better with build and technology and reliability and resale
Resale value of RRS is better than X5. It’s a myth that X5 has lower depreciation than a RRS. Personally, I think X5 drives better and the RRS has a more upscale interior and in general is considered is more exclusive. Both have the same amount of rattles and creaks…if you really want great build quality Porsche or even Audi is way to go. Fit and finish is a step up from BMW IMHO.

https://caredge.com/compare/deprecia...er-sport-vs-x5
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 10:48 PM   #24
BklynNYBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "24 X6M60i / "21 m340i xdrive

Rented a Range Rover Sport last year from Enterprise on my yearly 10 day vacation to Los Angelos. I always wanted to see what a Range Rover Sport is like as I always like the look and the interior. Two days into the vacation drove about 2 hours south to a section in Orange County. Parked it got lunch and started to head back. Put the car in reverse and the back camera came on. Put it in drive the back camera stayed on and the entire dash went blank. Then the radio and intermittent a/c. Called Enterprise drove it back to Enterprise at LAX with the reverse camera on all the way, no dash, no radio and intermittent a/c. Switched it out for a Maserati Levante. Now THAT was fun and no issues.
__________________________________________________ ___________________
2017 X6 5.0 MSport, Carbon Black Metallic w/ black leather. All options except vented seats and B/O sound system. AKA the Tumbler
2021 M340i xdrive. Tanzanite Blue with W/Oyster with Red Calipers. All options except Adaptive M suspension, Driver Assistance Professional Package, Cooling and High Performance Tire package. AKA Blue Angel
*Retired 04/30/21: 2018 340i MSport Xdrive sedan. Glacier Silver w/Oyster. All options except active cruise control and window shades. AKA Airstream
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 12:09 AM   #25
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynNYBMW View Post
Rented a Range Rover Sport last year from Enterprise on my yearly 10 day vacation to Los Angelos. I always wanted to see what a Range Rover Sport is like as I always like the look and the interior. Two days into the vacation drove about 2 hours south to a section in Orange County. Parked it got lunch and started to head back. Put the car in reverse and the back camera came on. Put it in drive the back camera stayed on and the entire dash went blank. Then the radio and intermittent a/c. Called Enterprise drove it back to Enterprise at LAX with the reverse camera on all the way, no dash, no radio and intermittent a/c. Switched it out for a Maserati Levante. Now THAT was fun and no issues.
__________________________________________________ ___________________
2017 X6 5.0 MSport, Carbon Black Metallic w/ black leather. All options except vented seats and B/O sound system. AKA the Tumbler
2021 M340i xdrive. Tanzanite Blue with W/Oyster with Red Calipers. All options except Adaptive M suspension, Driver Assistance Professional Package, Cooling and High Performance Tire package. AKA Blue Angel
*Retired 04/30/21: 2018 340i MSport Xdrive sedan. Glacier Silver w/Oyster. All options except active cruise control and window shades. AKA Airstream
I started buying Land Rover products especially the Range Rover from 1995 to 2008 and a few disco and lr4 so total was 14.cars over the years and several buy back all I’m going to say is I lived in loaner cars sometimes for 5,000 miles never never was there a reliable one and buy no far did they ever hold there value a 3 year old one was Less than 40 percent I would or can not believe they would ever hold a better value than a bmw and to boot the only way you could get rid of one was to trade at a Land Rover dealer no where else would give you any thing close to a trade by a nada book the same goes for a jaguar I made a promise to my self I would never ever buy anything they made and still today people will say best reliable vehicle they have owned I total laugh the story I hear on a daily and weekly in my business about the cost for repairs is unbelievable the company should have been banned from the USA a long time ago for selling junk and ripping people off for service all I can say is good 👍 luck here is a service price in Brooklyn nyc for service If this doesn’t make you throw up nothing will .
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
FCX52383.50
      06-25-2023, 08:20 AM   #26
BklynNYBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "24 X6M60i / "21 m340i xdrive

Quote:
I started buying Land Rover products especially the Range Rover from 1995 to 2008 and a few disco and lr4 so total was 14.cars over the years and several buy back all I’m going to say is I lived in loaner cars sometimes for 5,000 miles never never was there a reliable one and buy no far did they ever hold there value a 3 year old one was Less than 40 percent I would or can not believe they would ever hold a better value than a bmw and to boot the only way you could get rid of one was to trade at a Land Rover dealer no where else would give you any thing close to a trade by a nada book the same goes for a jaguar I made a promise to my self I would never ever buy anything they made and still today people will say best reliable vehicle they have owned I total laugh the story I hear on a daily and weekly in my business about the cost for repairs is unbelievable the company should have been banned from the USA a long time ago for selling junk and ripping people off for service all I can say is good �� luck here is a service price in Brooklyn nyc for service If this doesn’t make you throw up nothing will .
LOL. Thanks for the response. I just rented the Range Rover to satisfy my curiosity. That picture was insane for the labor rate. The other half is starting to think about replacing our current X6. As of now the contenders are X6 or X5 m60i or the Maserati Grecale Trofeo. Need to set up test drives but way too busy with work and life at the moment.
__________________________________________________ ____________
Appreciate 1
swainbmw525.50
      06-25-2023, 01:23 PM   #27
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

I was actually cross shopping with a defender 90. Also a very nice vehicle; however every friend of mine questions about reliability of those trucks
Appreciate 1
swainbmw525.50
      07-03-2023, 03:06 PM   #28
rundeyvoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 / X3 / 330e / 330i

A friend of mine was fortunate enough to get a 2024 RRS and I must say it is a beauty. Inside and out. Very well made but it was also fully optioned out SE and said it was about $112K before taxes. He didn't have to pay a premium for it either as his entire family has been a long time Land Rover customer. With all that said, it's been in the shop twice since taking delivery. One for a electrical issues with his front drivers side window and mirrors, and another one involving his infotainment system going out. He's already having buyer remorse and has owned it for two months with less than 2k miles on it.

Who knows how reliable it'll be For his sake, I hope nothing else goes wrong apart from the normal maintenance it'll need.
Appreciate 1
1230vani652.50
      11-23-2023, 04:31 AM   #29
crazyDriver_bimmer
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Anyone had comparison test-drive experiences of Range rover sport 2023 & x5 Lci off-late? Want to find out what is better in what.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 06:28 AM   #30
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyDriver_bimmer View Post
Anyone had comparison test-drive experiences of Range rover sport 2023 & x5 Lci off-late? Want to find out what is better in what.
Yes, I have done that. Have a 24 X5 40i and test drove a 2023 RRS Dynamic SE. The interior is a league above X5 in terms of quality, material, and insulation. The ride is overall more luxurious, refined and less sporty (as expected). Seats are one of the most comfortable I've sat in. It is a great car for around $90-$100k IMO the only reason I didn't pull the trigger was that in 2024, they removed all the buttons in the center console and whats left is a big ugly piece of piano black that I couldn't tolerate.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 06:39 AM   #31
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
My xDrive 40i LCI order is $84k so not too far off from a $90k (better equipped than my LCI in terms of options). The thing that struck me is also resale value of these 2023 RRSs. They sell used above MSRP because they are so had to get new. Got lucky and a local dealer has one that will sell to me at MSRP that is coming in 6 weeks. so now I am tempted
If you care about resale value, then yes fhe RRS is probably better. Like someone said it is power vs comfort. Although the RRS now uses BMW engines and the same transmission as well if I recall correctly.

Also, the new RRS shares the same platform as the big RR, unlike in the past when it shared the platform with the smaller land rovers, so it is better built and quieter in the past.

I’ve sat in one and agree that the interior packaging is great!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 07:43 AM   #32
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

My daughters daily driver is a year old Range Autobiography Edition and stickered around 180K. Beautifull interior and an overall premium vehicle with all the shallow country club appeal one would expect at that price but in reality this thing is 50 or 60 grand overpriced. Her husband is trading his hot rod supercharged 3 yr old version on the new top dog BMW 626 HP S68 model at well over 200K which is pretty ridiculous considering their reputation for reliability. They do seem to be cultivating a loyal following of new buyers who dump out in 2-3 years and are willing to pay for that luxury.
"Dealer experience" is going to vary greatly in high brands. We have a new Ferrari Dealer here in Bonita Springs that treats people like complete rubes with a laughable degree of arrogance. Walk across the street to the BMW dealer and receive a totally different approach to sales. Travel north on 41 a short distance to Ft. Meyers BMW and have arguably the worst car dealer encounter possible shy of being gut punched.
Buying a car is nothing more than simple business so leave your sensitivities and need for gourmet coffees etc. at home. You are looking for an OTD price and not a massage or a new friend.

Last edited by cobramite; 11-23-2023 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-23-2023, 08:29 AM   #33
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Do you like spending time in the shop? How do we know the Brits didn’t invent the computer? They couldn’t figure out how to make it leak oil!
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 10:12 AM   #34
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Do you like spending time in the shop? How do we know the Brits didn’t invent the computer? They couldn’t figure out how to make it leak oil!
We used to rebuild and renovate late 50s-60s British sports cars(Jags, MGs, Triumphs) as a hobby back in the 1980s. They are very cool cars and lots of pure sports car fun but absolute nightmares from a reliability standpoint. Not sure if they are much better now.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 04:15 PM   #35
mikhit
Rep
Drives: 2023 540i, 2021 330i

Quote:
Yes, I have done that. Have a 24 X5 40i and test drove a 2023 RRS Dynamic SE. The interior is a league above X5 in terms of quality, material, and insulation. The ride is overall more luxurious, refined and less sporty (as expected). Seats are one of the most comfortable I've sat in.
This.

Currently have a 2023 RRS Dynamic (~$103k) and just took delivery a 2024 X5 xdrive40i (~$82k) a couple weeks ago.

The new RRS is a major improvement over the previous generation in nearly every way. The interior is top notch— leather, material/build quality, aesthetics, feel. Beats the X5 in every aspect. And echo the above that the seats are, in fact, the most comfortable I’ve ever sat in.

The ride quality, handling and performance of the new RRS also a huge improvement (even on the 23 inch wheels!), and it starts to narrow that gap with BMW. But the X5 still wins, and from a performance and handling standpoint, I prefer my BMWs hands down.

Overall the X5 probably still wins from a tech standpoint, although the new RR is coming up pretty close. The prior RRS infotainment system was terrible, but the 2023 is great! Fast, responsive with a nice user interface. A lot of people knock the idrive 8/8.5 in the LCI, but I like it.

So the RRS is definitely the more comfortable, elegant and (possibly) more aesthetically appealing vehicle, where the X5 wins in the driving experience. Hard to say which one I like more.
Appreciate 2
Mattl0806987.50
radmjk240.50
      11-23-2023, 06:04 PM   #36
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDT View Post
SAD MAN
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2023, 06:49 PM   #37
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhit View Post
This.

Currently have a 2023 RRS Dynamic (~$103k) and just took delivery a 2024 X5 xdrive40i (~$82k) a couple weeks ago.

The new RRS is a major improvement over the previous generation in nearly every way. The interior is top notch— leather, material/build quality, aesthetics, feel. Beats the X5 in every aspect. And echo the above that the seats are, in fact, the most comfortable I’ve ever sat in.

The ride quality, handling and performance of the new RRS also a huge improvement (even on the 23 inch wheels!), and it starts to narrow that gap with BMW. But the X5 still wins, and from a performance and handling standpoint, I prefer my BMWs hands down.

Overall the X5 probably still wins from a tech standpoint, although the new RR is coming up pretty close. The prior RRS infotainment system was terrible, but the 2023 is great! Fast, responsive with a nice user interface. A lot of people knock the idrive 8/8.5 in the LCI, but I like it.

So the RRS is definitely the more comfortable, elegant and (possibly) more aesthetically appealing vehicle, where the X5 wins in the driving experience. Hard to say which one I like more.
Nice write up. Thank you for sharing.
Since the RRS dynamic and X5 40i share the same b58. I think different tunes as the RRS has a touch more power? Does power/engine feel about the same? X5 handles better but how about just off the line ?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 09:52 AM   #38
crazyDriver_bimmer
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Yes, I have done that. Have a 24 X5 40i and test drove a 2023 RRS Dynamic SE. The interior is a league above X5 in terms of quality, material, and insulation. The ride is overall more luxurious, refined and less sporty (as expected). Seats are one of the most comfortable I've sat in. It is a great car for around $90-$100k IMO the only reason I didn't pull the trigger was that in 2024, they removed all the buttons in the center console and whats left is a big ugly piece of piano black that I couldn't tolerate.
How was the commanding drive position (higher seating position) in RRS? I feel x5 driving position is pretty good. I never sat in an RRS. so asking.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 12:47 PM   #39
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Resale value of RRS is better than X5. It’s a myth that X5 has lower depreciation than a RRS. Personally, I think X5 drives better and the RRS has a more upscale interior and in general is considered is more exclusive. Both have the same amount of rattles and creaks…if you really want great build quality Porsche or even Audi is way to go. Fit and finish is a step up from BMW IMHO.

https://caredge.com/compare/deprecia...er-sport-vs-x5
That may be true then, but now, on the flipside Land Rover products have always depreciated about 63%. If not a little more in five years, they depreciating extremely, they were only high, and in demand during Covid now the insurance companies are raising the premiums due to theft of these cars which are making them undesirable, which in terms people won’t buy because of the premiums and the used ones are going to plummeting Quickly
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 01:50 PM   #40
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
That may be true then, but now, on the flipside Land Rover products have always depreciated about 63%. If not a little more in five years, they depreciating extremely, they were only high, and in demand during Covid now the insurance companies are raising the premiums due to theft of these cars which are making them undesirable, which in terms people won’t buy because of the premiums and the used ones are going to plummeting Quickly
In Uk range rover sport used cost a lot more second hand than X5, true about thefts and insurance costs.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 09:27 AM   #41
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Based on the comments I played around with the RR configurator. Did not know the engine was BMWs.
What I particularly liked was the option to delete the sunroof!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 09:53 AM   #42
FLYZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 sDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by modesa View Post
I was on a vacation to LA a few years ago with the wife and Thrifty offered to upgrade me to a RRS from the Sentra or Dodge Dart or whatever I had booked for like an extra $200 or something for the week and I figured eh sure why not, we're in Hollywood.

- The car's menus and screens were all in Russian, from the last renter I guess. Make of that what you will. Took us ages to set it back to English because Cyrillic is a bit harder to puzzle out for an English speaker vs Spanish or French. I also signed up using my actual email for their telematics service and I still get emails from LR today.

- Because of the above and for the week I had it, I found the electronics interface buddy and glitchy. Was annoying at the time but I guess in hindsight it wasn't much worse than the BMW I have now.

- We had the damage waiver, so obviously we took it out to the hills east of LA and got it on 3 wheels for a bit. That was fun, crawl control works well. It was a bit wide for some trails but again, we had the damage waiver so who gives a shit, just plowed right through in our way. Better than a Sentra probably.

- Even with the base (at the time) supercharged V6, this thing went through gas like the Exxon Valdez. With CA gas prices and driving all over the place, I think I spent almost as much on gas as I did on the rental.

- Oddly, my wife (a woman) hated it, the aesthetics, the interior, all of it. Enough that when we started shopping a couple of years later the house rule was still "no Teslas, no Land Rovers." I think she just doesn't like offroading.
This is just a really great post, enough so that the "Appreciate" button was insufficient.
      11-30-2023, 11:06 AM   #43
FLYZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 sDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
And then you got an LCI? Call me crazy, but...
      11-30-2023, 11:30 AM   #44
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYZ View Post
And then you got an LCI? Call me crazy, but...
To be fair, I think the poster is complaining about the piano black more than the lack of buttons. The LCI also still has the idrive controller and quick buttons next to it… the combination of these makes many operations via touch screen only on the RRS a lot easier on the x5… (I think)
Appreciate 1
FLYZ97.50