11-30-2023, 11:35 AM   #45
matowi
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 X5 M60i  [0.00]
Interesting to see the opinions of owners or drivers of RR products in this thread

They are in contrast with a lot of reveiws I’ve seen lately on YouTube in which the reviewers share their dismay at the fit and finish of RRS. Things they point out: squeaks, noises and rattles, things not being put toghether solidly (eg. Main screen on the dash moving when pressed), and sunroof issues (one reviewer commented that on two RRS press cars he drove within several months, some sort of a beam between the two sunroof panels emitted highly annoying noises and generally felt simply pressed in place without being fixed)

I can’t vouch for any of that - just posting here to say that every car brand (BMW, and X5 notwithstanding) gets their fair blend of love/hate

Had: '15 F10 535d; '21 G11 740d
Appreciate 1
X3_Alaska142.00
      11-30-2023, 03:30 PM   #46
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattl0806 View Post
Nice write up. Thank you for sharing.
Since the RRS dynamic and X5 40i share the same b58. I think different tunes as the RRS has a touch more power? Does power/engine feel about the same? X5 handles better but how about just off the line ?
Is it the same? I thought B58 in X5 LCI has more power?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 03:44 PM   #47
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Is it the same? I thought B58 in X5 LCI has more power?
Yes and no, the RRS dynamic is 400ish and the lesser model is like 350? I think both use the b58?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 06:17 AM   #48
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 540 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattl0806 View Post
Yes and no, the RRS dynamic is 400ish and the lesser model is like 350? I think both use the b58?
Not that is really matters but I think LR inline 6 engines are part of their Ingenium line which was developed by LR. I am aware of the latest Range Rover using the 4.4 BMW V8 in their top line models so maybe that is the cause of the confusion.

Regardless, the B58 is the best inline 6 on the market and regardless of the power rating involved, an LCI 40i will wipe the floor with a RRS with the 395hp rated six in a drag race. Could be the underrated nature of BMW's B58, the weight difference, transmission tuning or other factors but if there is one shining star in the BMW lineup it is that inline six (but damn BMW for not letting us turn off the auto stop start).

That obviously has nothing to do with ride, handling, interior luxury, reliability or anything else that may inspire someone to purchase either of these vehicles.
Appreciate 5
Mattl0806987.50
matowi261.50
tooloud10766.50
FLYZ97.50
Edwardsc1251.00
      12-01-2023, 06:35 AM   #49
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020540 View Post
Not that is really matters but I think LR inline 6 engines are part of their Ingenium line which was developed by LR. I am aware of the latest Range Rover using the 4.4 BMW V8 in their top line models so maybe that is the cause of the confusion.

Regardless, the B58 is the best inline 6 on the market and regardless of the power rating involved, an LCI 40i will wipe the floor with a RRS with the 395hp rated six in a drag race. Could be the underrated nature of BMW's B58, the weight difference, transmission tuning or other factors but if there is one shining star in the BMW lineup it is that inline six (but damn BMW for not letting us turn off the auto stop start).

That obviously has nothing to do with ride, handling, interior luxury, reliability or anything else that may inspire someone to purchase either of these vehicles.
Thank you for clarifying this!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 03:02 PM   #50
Dgjo2022X5MC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022X5MC, 2020 X5 40i

We have a G05, F95 and a 17 RR Sport Diesel.

The RR is such a different SUV. I read RR and drag race in same sentence and chuckle (Respectfully). The RR is a cruiser…soft and floaty. Super high seating position. Very good body lines, with a contemporary interior. Super laggy tech. Running gear is super solid…it’s a real truck. Look at the tow hook on front! It’s literally designed to be yanked out of a ravine or ditch. Would bring it off road any day. Would NOT bring my X5m off road (especially F95!).

The RR is our 3rd car, and really didn’t like it at first. I think because I drove it like the BMWs. Now I really enjoy the RR, when driven like a RR. I’m not in a hurry to get anywhere in that car…cruise around. Park it. The car lowers so I can get out easier (lol), and go about my day .

And insofar as reliability. No problems at all and am at 60k. Especially since the dealer had to replace the engine after spinning a rod bearing during a failed oil change. 🤔
      12-02-2023, 12:16 PM   #51
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020540 View Post

Thank you. Still in run in period for me. Low end torque in 40i is amazing, that I can confirm
Appreciate 2
Mattl0806987.50
FLYZ97.50
      12-22-2023, 07:16 AM   #52
ChiRealtor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Read this thread recently when shopping so I thought I’d share.

Just traded my 2021 x5 40i with 13k miles for a 2024 RR sport SE. sticker was $98k and that’s what I paid no markup. Couple of reasons I went this route. 1) they’re gorgeous and you just simply don’t see them as often as x5 even in Chicago. The fit and finish and use of materials is so far above my x5 I can’t even tell you, you have to see it for yourself. 2)BMW deleting the ASS button made another x5 a nonstarter. On the RR there’s a button on the steering wheel you can set to do anything you want I chose to turn on the ASS. I owned my BMW and was considering an extended warranty or new car. 3) the implementation of the climate controls/seats in the rover infotainment is way better than the LCI BMW x5. I recently drove the LCI for a week in Florida so I have a good feel for it. I also like that RR left the heated steering button and distance controls on the steering wheel. The rover seats are also another level and REAL leather without additional cost.

I do love BMWs this was my 5th one so I think I also wanted a little change. Budget and reliability pending in 4 years when my warranty is close to expiring I may come back but man this vehicle is in another league. If you truly max out an x5 in options it’s not that huge of a price jump but you’re then rolling around in a $90k car with a $65k starting price I just can’t justify that. The options do not hold value when you trade. I have a rule of thumb to not spend more than 10% on options than the msrp of the car so I wouldn’t pay more than $75k for an X5.
Appreciate 1
radmjk240.50
      12-22-2023, 07:40 AM   #53
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
I wonder if anyone has cross shopped these two? I am about to pick up my LCI order this weekend but having a last minute cold feet. Saw RR Sport 2023 at the dealer the other day and the quality of interior blew my mind. Given the price increase on X5, RR Sport is not too much more expensive and it comes many standard features including full leather interior, air suspension, etc.

Unfortunately, due to lack of inventory (and all incoming ones being pre-sold), they don't have anything to test drive. Has anyone considered RR Sport or driven one in comparison to X5? Any thoughts or highlights?

That's not why that happens.

Low mile Range Rovers are in high demand with Eastern European Mafia types. For various reasons, their ability to purchase them at home is very limited. Exporting a brand new vehicle is also typically not allowed. However, a low mileage used car, that's a perfect gray market export. They sell for more than new because they can be exported to Russia, Ukraine, Moldova, whatever eastern European country you want, and they're willing to pay the premium to get them.

I knew a guy years ago that would buy a new range Rover every few months, then sell it back to the dealer for a preset, more than he paid for it car. The dealership had a client that would buy all the low mile export ready RRs they could find and the dealer didn't even list them or put them on the lot, they went straight to the guy, and then right overseas.

That said, Rover resale after the initial year or so is BRUTAL. Like half of after 2 years. After 5 years they've lost like 25% of their value. They're reliability nightmares, and things haven't gotten much better under Tata.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 01:27 PM   #54
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
That's not why that happens.

Low mile Range Rovers are in high demand with Eastern European Mafia types. For various reasons, their ability to purchase them at home is very limited. Exporting a brand new vehicle is also typically not allowed. However, a low mileage used car, that's a perfect gray market export. They sell for more than new because they can be exported to Russia, Ukraine, Moldova, whatever eastern European country you want, and they're willing to pay the premium to get them.

I knew a guy years ago that would buy a new range Rover every few months, then sell it back to the dealer for a preset, more than he paid for it car. The dealership had a client that would buy all the low mile export ready RRs they could find and the dealer didn't even list them or put them on the lot, they went straight to the guy, and then right overseas.

That said, Rover resale after the initial year or so is BRUTAL. Like half of after 2 years. After 5 years they've lost like 25% of their value. They're reliability nightmares, and things haven't gotten much better under Tata.
Odd, in UK Rovers hold their value far better than BMW'S.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 03:57 PM   #55
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
If it loses half after a year or so but only 25% after 5 years that is pretty good.

I think you mean to say, and I have not verified the numbers, that they are only worth 25% after 5 years.
      12-22-2023, 04:10 PM   #56
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
If it loses half after a year or so but only 25% after 5 years that is pretty good.

I think you mean to say, and I have not verified the numbers, that they are only worth 25% after 5 years.
In general the X5 depreciates faster than the RRS. You can compare for yourself here

https://caredge.com/compare/deprecia...er-sport-vs-x5
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 05:05 PM   #57
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
In general the X5 depreciates faster than the RRS. You can compare for yourself here

That is what I would have thought but just wanted to comment on the unlikely numbers of the OP.
      12-22-2023, 05:15 PM   #58
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:

Never heard of that site. Wonder where they get thatw number from.

You should see how cheap most range rovers are used. It's shocking to be honest.

Either way, I wouldn't buy one. A good friend's wife had one, she had it for 8 months, but it was at the dealer for 6 of them. This was pre COVID too. It was kind of comical actually, the dealer would just drive her up a new one to use while they attempted to fix hers. She traded it on like an Infiniti or something because she got tired of the constant loaners and the fear of what it'd be like outside of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 12:16 PM   #59
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Never heard of that site. Wonder where they get thatw number from.

You should see how cheap most range rovers are used. It's shocking to be honest.

Either way, I wouldn't buy one. A good friend's wife had one, she had it for 8 months, but it was at the dealer for 6 of them. This was pre COVID too. It was kind of comical actually, the dealer would just drive her up a new one to use while they attempted to fix hers. She traded it on like an Infiniti or something because she got tired of the constant loaners and the fear of what it'd be like outside of warranty.
CarEdge is considered an authoritative source. You can also go to CarGurus and putter around to get an idea. Range Rovers and RRS have a pretty good resale value since they have a high social status. I am not saying they are better or worse than any other SUV, just that they are desirable. Can you post a link with super cheap range rovers compared to X5?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 11:38 PM   #60
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
CarEdge is considered an authoritative source. You can also go to CarGurus and putter around to get an idea. Range Rovers and RRS have a pretty good resale value since they have a high social status. I am not saying they are better or worse than any other SUV, just that they are desirable. Can you post a link with super cheap range rovers compared to X5?

I think you’re gonna find that the resale values are changing rapidly on used. The resale value is not where it used to be. It has a lot to do with theft and insurance increasing on these vehicles, which is making them less desirable. You can look up Used range rovers specially high mileage they’re not selling and they’re outrageously priced. Nobody wants high mileage for high dollar.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 07:48 PM   #61
ChiRealtor
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
And the fact that you can’t just walk into a dealer to get one. It takes 4+ months to get and there are a ton of delays… delivery dates get pushed constantly.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 07:47 PM   #62
crazyDriver_bimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiRealtor View Post
Read this thread recently when shopping so I thought I’d share.

Just traded my 2021 x5 40i with 13k miles for a 2024 RR sport SE. sticker was $98k and that’s what I paid no markup. Couple of reasons I went this route. 1) they’re gorgeous and you just simply don’t see them as often as x5 even in Chicago. The fit and finish and use of materials is so far above my x5 I can’t even tell you, you have to see it for yourself. 2)BMW deleting the ASS button made another x5 a nonstarter. On the RR there’s a button on the steering wheel you can set to do anything you want I chose to turn on the ASS. I owned my BMW and was considering an extended warranty or new car. 3) the implementation of the climate controls/seats in the rover infotainment is way better than the LCI BMW x5. I recently drove the LCI for a week in Florida so I have a good feel for it. I also like that RR left the heated steering button and distance controls on the steering wheel. The rover seats are also another level and REAL leather without additional cost.

I do love BMWs this was my 5th one so I think I also wanted a little change. Budget and reliability pending in 4 years when my warranty is close to expiring I may come back but man this vehicle is in another league. If you truly max out an x5 in options it’s not that huge of a price jump but you’re then rolling around in a $90k car with a $65k starting price I just can’t justify that. The options do not hold value when you trade. I have a rule of thumb to not spend more than 10% on options than the msrp of the car so I wouldn’t pay more than $75k for an X5.
How was the commanding drive position (higher seating position) in RRS? I feel x5 driving position is pretty good. I never sat in an RRS. so asking.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 10:22 AM   #63
ChiRealtor
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyDriver_bimmer View Post
How was the commanding drive position (higher seating position) in RRS? I feel x5 driving position is pretty good. I never sat in an RRS. so asking.
It’s really good! Zero I mean zero blinds spots at all in the car. I’m almost at 2k miles and knock wood, zero issues. I went back to Florida last week and received another lci x5 and was just shocked and how lose the steering is and loud the cabin is in comparison to my RR. Things like talking on the phone via Bluetooth the quiet cabin is a big difference.

Also, I mentioned this before but mention again… with the removal of the hard buttons in both vehicles the implementation is much better in the RR with large buttons coming up on each side of the screen, driver/passenger. The BMW, when you bring up climate, feels like a ton of small buttons and hard to touch the screen with accuracy being so far from you. The RR the screen is close to you and you can rest your hand on the shifter and count on much larger buttons to see and press.

BMW has the advantage with their on board nav, voice commands and HUD though.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 12:12 PM   #64
jpw172
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
Personally, I find the RRS to be the most pleasing aesthetically. I briefly looked around the Bay Area and found none. SF LR now shows two but don't think they've arrived yet. Yes- I think 100k+ and have heard that there are 20k mark-ups over MSRP.

I think they're beautiful but they are still at the bottom of things like the JD Power reliability survey.
Agreed. I have always wanted a RR or RRS but the reliability is horrendous and I take way to many winter trips that I’d hate to be left in the wilderness. Too bad since they are such a nice vehicle. I guess if you just drive around town and don’t care about how much they are in the shop it’s an option. I also saw one that was $100k and didn’t have ventilated seats standard…I feel at that price point simple options like that should be standard.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 01:47 PM   #65
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiRealtor View Post
It’s really good! Zero I mean zero blinds spots at all in the car. I’m almost at 2k miles and knock wood, zero issues. I went back to Florida last week and received another lci x5 and was just shocked and how lose the steering is and loud the cabin is in comparison to my RR. Things like talking on the phone via Bluetooth the quiet cabin is a big difference.

Also, I mentioned this before but mention again… with the removal of the hard buttons in both vehicles the implementation is much better in the RR with large buttons coming up on each side of the screen, driver/passenger. The BMW, when you bring up climate, feels like a ton of small buttons and hard to touch the screen with accuracy being so far from you. The RR the screen is close to you and you can rest your hand on the shifter and count on much larger buttons to see and press.

BMW has the advantage with their on board nav, voice commands and HUD though.
This is surprising to read. The reviews I’ve come across rate the x5 LCI cabin noise extremely well. Best in class decibel readings. I haven’t seen anything that shows the RR at a clearly lower decibel count. I know you have your own experience, which is valuable, but have you also come across any rankings of this rating?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 06:18 AM   #66
ChiRealtor
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw172 View Post
Agreed. I have always wanted a RR or RRS but the reliability is horrendous and I take way to many winter trips that I’d hate to be left in the wilderness. Too bad since they are such a nice vehicle. I guess if you just drive around town and don’t care about how much they are in the shop it’s an option. I also saw one that was $100k and didn’t have ventilated seats standard…I feel at that price point simple options like that should be standard.
2023 and newer ventilated front seats is standard.
Appreciate 1
jpw17256.50