BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-28-2023, 02:48 PM   #45
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
the cost of a vehicle doesn’t dictate where any person can decide to be frugal or save money, however big or small

a person interested in a $100k vehicle has the same right as a person interested in a $30k vehicle to use mpg or mi/kWh in their decision-making process
I cut a check for my M60i and honestly never even thought about looking at that government gas mileage estimate or whatever it is, don't think I ever considered gas mileage in any vehicle purchase.
Actual gas mileage is highly dependent on a persons driving habits. The guy who sees his drive to work or the mall to be a some sort of a grand prix event as many aggressive driving morons do can blow those government gas mileage figures to pieces.
The display in my X6 M60i is showing 19.5 mpg since new and that is 99% non highway. Exceptionally good for a 5300 lb SUV that has shown to do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds.
Appreciate 1
TN2SC2020151.50
      12-28-2023, 03:11 PM   #46
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Really beating a dead horse here…

But let’s not conflate two different concerns...

1 - affordability - we all agree - if you cannot afford the gas you shouldn’t be buying the car lol. This is simple but let’s assume bmw does a reasonable job at credit and income checks where if someone can get an m60 they can afford the gas. So this is moot and we should be all move on from this thought..

2 - separate and distinct to the cost of the gas - you may have a preference for better fuel economy and this goes into your decision making process. Maybe this is bc your an environmentalist, you prefer less trips to the gas station or you just love efficiency. Who knows - but this is a permissible subjective opinion allowed to contribute to the determination of someone wants a vehicle or not.
Appreciate 7
nZtiZia4656.00
matowi261.50
WagonFan271.50
X3_Alaska142.00
porterM37.00
      12-28-2023, 03:56 PM   #47
matowi
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 X5 M60i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattl0806 View Post
Really beating a dead horse here…

But let’s not conflate two different concerns...

1 - affordability - we all agree (…)

2 - separate and distinct to the cost of the gas - you may have a preference for better fuel economy and this goes into your decision making process. Maybe this is bc your an environmentalist, you prefer less trips to the gas station or you just love efficiency. Who knows - but this is a permissible subjective opinion allowed to contribute to the determination of someone wants a vehicle or not.
I concur. Moreover, the general market would agree with that statement too. Otherwise you wouldn’t have a diesel variant (or multiple, in fact) of the 7 series or S-Class. The X7 wouldn’t come as a diesel, too. Heck, you wouldn’t have an electric Rolls Royce (hell freezes now)

Had: '15 F10 535d; '21 G11 740d
Appreciate 2
      12-28-2023, 04:25 PM   #48
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
When you are on that side of the world - life is just a series of unacknowledged double standards
Very well stated Matt.
Appreciate 1
Mattl0806987.50
      12-28-2023, 04:37 PM   #49
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
"irrational frugalness" is an excellent way to put it indeed.
Reminds me of the people here where we live who spend 3M, 5M, 10M,
on a house or condo but refuse to put the premium fuel in their luxury car that is called for because of the "high cost" or the guy who waits 20 minutes in line to fill up his $150,000 Porsche with Costco mystery gas.
Actually, Costco sells only Top Tier fuel.
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 7
X6ix GTA142.00
X3_Alaska142.00
eluded3044.50
nZtiZia4656.00
      12-28-2023, 10:23 PM   #50
derek.megyesi
M-Experienced
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive50e AWD SUV

Garage List
You folks are funny. I appreciate the witter banter. I think even if I went back and got the X3 M-Comp the switchover costs would kill me financially. Worse case, I'll suck it up for 3 years and then trade it in for the X3/X5 M-Comp (depending on my financial situation).
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 11:18 PM   #51
ST3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
"irrational frugalness" is an excellent way to put it indeed.
Reminds me of the people here where we live who spend 3M, 5M, 10M,
on a house or condo but refuse to put the premium fuel in their luxury car that is called for because of the "high cost" or the guy who waits 20 minutes in line to fill up his $150,000 Porsche with Costco mystery gas.
You got my attention here…please expand on the “Costco mystery gas”
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 01:57 AM   #52
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

well. I completely don't see what is conflict between owning an expansive car vs want to save on gas. Financially, it is even totally different concept in different section of the book. First is capital expense, one time deal. Later is operational expense, on going, impacting cash flow.

Also, not to offend anyone. BMW, or any 100K cars are not unique, at least in my side of the country. They are normal mass market cars. Everyone and their kids have one. X5 is at best an slightly above average luxury car, definitely NOT yet in the categories of "because I can afford this, I don't need to care about gas cost or MPG". I guess oneday, if I have a 200-250k car, then I may say this if ever.

In fact, X5 isn't event that exclusive in US. 2022 sale number for a few popular mid size SUV

Kia Tulleride: 99,891
Honda Pilot: 99,567
RX: 96,041
X5: 82,372
Subaru Ascent: 63,704

So X5 is about as exclusive as Honda Pilot or Lexus RX, maybe a bit more rare. If anyone thinks this is a show off car, I think you need to come to reality and also do better

Last edited by eelnoraa; 12-29-2023 at 02:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
WagonFan271.50
      12-29-2023, 03:48 AM   #53
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Locally, Chevron/Cosctco appear to be from the same "base stock" as their ethanol percentages change at the same time, winter, summer, other, when its tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST3 View Post
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 04:43 AM   #54
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST3 View Post
What is there to expand on? Costco does not disclose what gas they are dispensing as other fuel retailers do. You have to wonder why that is their practice, something to hide?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 05:06 AM   #55
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
What is there to expand on? Costco does not disclose what gas they are dispensing as other fuel retailers do. You have to wonder why that is their practice, something to hide?
What do you mean they don't disclose? Like what brand the the gas is? this they sure disclose. The gas supply is managed by their internal business unit, Kirkland Signature Fuel. Source can come from a large list of suppliers. Everyone on that list supplies Top Tier gas. In reality, each Costco can source gas from supplier on that list. You should be able to call the actual store and find out. In fact, if you ever see the supply truck come to refill their tank, you can see who they are.

And no costco doesn't take 20 minutes. Maybe not even 10 in my experience. I have been using them for 20+ years, including 2 20-years old cars.
      12-29-2023, 05:12 AM   #56
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
well. I completely don't see what is conflict between owning an expansive car vs want to save on gas. Financially, it is even totally different concept in different section of the book. First is capital expense, one time deal. Later is operational expense, on going, impacting cash flow.

Also, not to offend anyone. BMW, or any 100K cars are not unique, at least in my side of the country. They are normal mass market cars. Everyone and their kids have one. X5 is at best an slightly above average luxury car, definitely NOT yet in the categories of "because I can afford this, I don't need to care about gas cost or MPG". I guess oneday, if I have a 200-250k car, then I may say this if ever.

In fact, X5 isn't event that exclusive in US. 2022 sale number for a few popular mid size SUV

So X5 is about as exclusive as Honda Pilot or Lexus RX, maybe a bit more rare. If anyone thinks this is a show off car, I think you need to come to reality and also do better
Quite doubtful that your sanctimonious post has offended anyone. Thanks for the does of reality but it is clearly not indicated here as I fail to see where anyone is claiming that a BMW X5 is "exclusive" or exotic but they are several steps above a Honda or Lexus RX which you seem to equate it with.
I also fail to realize where any members here are considering an X5 to be a "show off car".
Interesting to hear that "everyone and their kids" has and drives a $100,000 vehicle on your elite side of the country which is obviously a ridiculous exageration. The wealth where we live in the Naples FL area is profound and what some call eye watering with Bentleys, Rolls, Lamborghinis, Ferraris, etc., seen everywhere but I can assure you that everyone and their kids here or where you live are not driving $100,000 vehicles, mass market or otherwise.
Seems like fuel costs, gas mileage, or how ever it can be described is a real hot button for some people evoking an emotional response.
As a person who recently woke up and got a Medicare card in the mail I can tell you that life is short. Shorter than most in their 30s and 40s tend to believe. Forget about your gas mileage and enjoy life.

Last edited by cobramite; 12-29-2023 at 05:34 AM..
Appreciate 4
Mattl0806987.50
TN2SC2020151.50
Jetrik38.00
      12-29-2023, 05:40 AM   #57
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:

The total purchase number is not a robust way to determine any sense of eliteness or affordability comparison.

One very simple counter argument - there are a lot more vehicles below the x5 to choose from so naturally there will be more distribution amongst those and each of them would have a lower total because of it. A better way would be to total all of the GLE, x5 ans q7 sales (maybe cayenne too) against everything below it which I assure you is a lot more vehicles and a much larger total. But still a silly argument against affordability of gas.

Once again - we are simply saying if you are buying an 75k vehicle compared to a 45k vehicle- the IMPACT of 20 bucks more at the pump should be less. This does NOT mean you care less about it. But financially you should be in a different situation when shopping for these cars. This does NOT mean every pilot buyer is not financially equal because they did not buy an x5. Bc they might just choose to spend their money elsewhere. But compared to someone who cannot afford an x5 - an x5 purchaser is less impacted buy fuel costs.

Again this does not mean they can’t care about it!!!! I don’t know why this is so hard.
Appreciate 2
      12-29-2023, 05:55 AM   #58
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quite doubtful that your sanctimonious post has offended anyone. Thanks for the does of reality but it is clearly not indicated here as I fail to see where anyone is claiming that a BMW X5 is "exclusive" or exotic but they are several steps above a Honda or Lexus RX which you seem to equate it with.
I also fail to realize where any members here are considering an X5 to be a "show off car".
Interesting to hear that "everyone and their kids" has and drives a $100,000 vehicle on your elite side of the country which is obviously a ridiculous exageration. The wealth where we live in the Naples FL area is profound and what some call eye watering with Bentleys, Rolls, Lamborghinis, Ferraris, etc., seen everywhere but I can assure you that everyone and their kids here or where you live are not driving $100,000 vehicles, mass market or otherwise.
Seems like fuel costs, gas mileage, or how ever it can be described is a real hot button for some people evoking an emotional response.
As a person who recently woke up and got a Medicare card in the mail I can tell you that life is short. Shorter than most in their 30s and 40s tend to believe. Forget about your gas mileage and enjoy life.
Still many good years ahead. And you are blessed to be spending them in such a beautiful place as Naples Florida!
Appreciate 1
cobramite1227.50
      12-29-2023, 05:59 AM   #59
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Still many good years ahead. And you are blessed to be spending them in such a beautiful place as Naples Florida!
Thanks Buddy. We have both worked hard in great careers, were able to retire early and are really enjoying life. I've jogged and weight trained my entire adult life and continue to do so. Hopping for 25 more years.
Appreciate 2
Mattl0806987.50
thereef5101165.00
      12-29-2023, 07:29 AM   #60
ST3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
You explained your comment. I was expecting there was something more to it than the distribution component. Costco is new to my area. I use their highest octane when it’s convenient and then try to stick to Mobile and Shell - creature of habit. I never gave it a second thought until you mentioned it in your post.
Appreciate 1
cobramite1227.50
      12-29-2023, 07:33 AM   #61
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

After visiting China for a few weeks and after browsing and riding in a few new EV,PHEV and even a few ICE SUVs available there, I had quite a bit of "buyer remorse" now on buying an X5... but anyway it is not really possible to buy a lotus electre EV, nor a Li Auto L9 PHEV in US now...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 09:27 AM   #62
TexAg91
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y, BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Sounds like you’re not familiar with Costco gas. Costco gets their gas from a local wholesale distributor just like everyone else. They’re only a few major refineries in the United States and all gas in a local geographic area typically comes from one or two refineries via the pipeline. The difference is in the additives that are added to the base gasoline. Costco is a top-tier gasoline, meaning the detergent additives they use meet the highest standard, which is set by automakers,(Audi, BMW, Ford, GM, Honda, Daimler Truck, Mercedes-Benz, Navistar, Stellantis, Toyota, VW). The top-tier standard is above and beyond the federal standard, which is the minimal amount of detergent additives required.

Don’t confuse top-tier fuel with premium or regular octane fuel, which is a common misunderstanding. They are two completely different things. Top Tier is in respect to fuel detergent additives, and premium versus regular is in respect to octane. BMW requires premium fuel and they recommend using top tier fuel. http://www.toptiergas.com/

Bottom line, Costco fuel is as good or better than most name brand fuels such as Chevron, Exxon, Shell, Sunoco. They are all are top tier fuels. The only difference is the blend of additives used which can be boutique. That said; yes, the lines at Costco bite and you may not want to wait—but you can’t beat their price on a Top Tier fuel.

If you want to know more about Costco and top tier fuel click the link below

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-gasoline.html

Last edited by TexAg91; 12-30-2023 at 12:16 AM..
Appreciate 3
LDT1539.50
cobramite1227.50
TurtleBoy13274.50
      12-29-2023, 10:07 AM   #63
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAg91 View Post
Sounds like you’re not familiar with Costco gas. Costco gets their gas from a local wholesale distributor just like everyone else. They’re only a few major refineries in the United States and all gas in a local geographic area typically comes from one or two refineries via the pipeline. The difference is in the additives that are added to the base gasoline. Costco is a top-tier gasoline, meaning the detergent additives they use meet the highest standard, which is set by automakers, including BMW. The top-tier standard is above and beyond the federal standard, which is the minimal amount of detergent additives required.

Don’t confuse top-tier fuel with premium or regular octane fuel, which is a common misunderstanding. They are two completely different things. Too Tier is in respect to fuel detergent additives, and premium versus regular is in respect to octane. BMW requires premium fuel and they recommend using top tier fuel. http://www.toptiergas.com/

Bottom line, Costco fuel is as good or better than most namebrand fuels such as Chevron, Exxon, etc. They are all are top tier fuels. The only difference is the blend of additives used which can be boutique. That said; yes, the lines at Costco bite and you may not want to wait—but you can’t beat their price on a Top Tier fuel.

If you want to know more about Costco and top tier fuel below. I am click the link below the link below

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-gasoline.html
Thank You, appreciate your taking the time to clarify this.
I had read a while back that the name brand gas outfits deliver their product with a cocktail of various additives.
I most often buy Shell or Chevron and am willing to pay a couple bucks more for those name brands where I do not have to wait in line. Obviously not everyone thinks this way.
Appreciate 1
TexAg91121.50
      12-29-2023, 10:10 AM   #64
Rondi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 BMW X6 40i, ‘14 BMW X3 35i

X3 is a nice ride, yet the x5 or x6 is a much better choice, bigger size makes it more fun to drive around towns. Believe me, I have/had both - as my son still driving my now 10 year old x3
      12-29-2023, 10:12 AM   #65
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek.megyesi View Post
Hi all,

Nice to meet everyone in this new model selection forum area

I am the proud owner of a new 2024 BMW X5 50e (hybrid), but I am having some buyers remorse now.

Attachment 3350746

Attachment 3350747

My original thought was to get the 2024 BMW X3 M-Competition, and while the power and performance would have been crazy good (excessive smiles per gallon), I felt that living inner-city within Bellevue/Seattle, I would never be able to take advantage of the power. So, I decided to go with the X5 50e as there was some smoking end-of-the-year discounts on PHEV vehicles, and I wanted to take advantage of the gas savings from the Hybrid system as I will be driving inner city a lot.

I decided to go with the fully loaded version of the 50e (M-Performance Package, Luxury Package, Shadowline package, hitch, etc.). However, I can't find peace with my decision, as I feel I should have gone with my original decision of the X3 M-Comp.

Note: The cost is roughly about the same for both vehicles.

Can someone help me feel better about buying the 50e (fully loaded version)?
Horses for courses as they say. The X5 is more spacious and more luxurious. The X3M is an M car, it is a sports SUV first and foremost. It has a much harsher ride, but it is a bullet...since you already bought the X5 50e, I'd rationalize it by the fact you bought the most comfortable, high tech and highest rated premium mid-sized PHEV SUV on the market right now. I would appreciate the amazing value for money you got for this...there is no limit to getting something better if money is no object. LOL
Appreciate 1
Rondi143.50
      12-29-2023, 10:22 AM   #66
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:

X5 is definitely not an exclusive or show-off SUV. I think even among BMW's they are the most common. The XM or XB7 (not sure if they are still being sold) are the current BMW SUV's that are exclusive. However, BMW also makes the Rolls Royce Cullinan, which is very exclusive. I see a couple around here, they are huge, but also have aspects of the XB7, similar to how the Maybach SUV shares elements with the GLS.

Anyway, the X5 is covered by Consumer Reports, making it a mass market product. It's a great value for money and the lease cost is within range of many young middle-income buyers - so you don't have to be rich. JMHO.
Appreciate 1
eelnoraa2032.50