BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-26-2023, 12:38 PM   #111
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialpro1 View Post
Another guilty party here. 15 cars in under 10 years.

It doesn't help that Arizona enables this by not having sales tax on private party purchases. Literally encourages me to swap cars more often - as the only thing you really pay for is depreciation. Makes it easier to sell cars here as well (I only have really traded in 1 car in my life). Keeps life interesting switching things up, and I wouldn't ask for it any other way. My only regret? Keeping some cars for a bit too long ...

I've made a bit of money on some cars as a cherry on top (most have lost). Have tried many porsches, audis, lambos and a ferrari in last decade.

As my motto goes ... 'So many cars ... so little time'.

Overall I'm on my 23rd car. Trying to get to 100 before 80 years old (tough ask!) See if that happens.

Nice man! Life is too short and you gotta try what you like.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 03:03 PM   #112
SplendidCamel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post

4. Prefer the overall drive of the 40i. It is obviously lighter than the 45e but I prefer this suspension over the 45e air suspension.
6. Seats, love the base sport seats. For me much nicer than the luxury seats in comfort.
I had a '23 45e loaner and I liked how smooth the air suspension was while still having no lean in the corners. The '22 40i suspension is excellent, but I thought the '23 45e air suspension was even better. After driving the 45e loaner, I was thinking that my next vehicle might be an X5 45e. Since you have had more time with the air suspension, what do you like better about the 40i adaptive suspension?

I agree that the '22 luxury seats could be more comfortable. I wonder if it is harder to make comfortable seats with the massage function. The '22 luxury seats are good for most driving, but I will get some sore muscles after a five hour drive. Even with the adjustable bolsters I feel like I'm sitting on the seats instead of in the seats. When I compare with the Mercedes sport seats that are super comfortable, I think the Mercedes seats have more spring in the seat cushion which helps on long drives and bumpy roads. The '22 luxury seats aren't bad, they just can't compare with the Mercedes sport seats which are the most comfortable seats I have ever had.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 03:51 PM   #113
SplendidCamel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen4BMW View Post
This is a good thread. I am curious if the lousy ASS function on the X3 and X5 30 and 40i’s is one of the main reasons people are choosing EV’s… 45e / 50e etc.
I have no issue with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 04:00 PM   #114
SplendidCamel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidCamel View Post
I agree that the '22 luxury seats could be more comfortable. I wonder if it is harder to make comfortable seats with the massage function. The '22 luxury seats are good for most driving, but I will get some sore muscles after a five hour drive. Even with the adjustable bolsters I feel like I'm sitting on the seats instead of in the seats. When I compare with the Mercedes sport seats that are super comfortable, I think the Mercedes seats have more spring in the seat cushion which helps on long drives and bumpy roads. The '22 luxury seats aren't bad, they just can't compare with the Mercedes sport seats which are the most comfortable seats I have ever had.
I would guess that if I sat on my couch for five hours and compared that with sitting in the X5 seats for five hours, the BMW seats would probably be more comfortable. I wouldn't say that the seats are uncomfortable. They are just not super comfortable like the Mercedes sport seats.

One thing done really well on the multi-contour seats is being able to adjust the headrest forward and back as well as tilt the top of the seat back forward. I like a nearly vertical seat back. I rejected some cars because with the seat back up, the headrest pushes my head down. In the BMW X5 multi-contour seats, I can be sitting straight up and position the headrest so it is at the back of my head, not pushing my head. The many adjustments offered on the seats are great.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 04:58 PM   #115
905hamza
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Garage List
2023 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
Quote:
I have owned way too many X5s over the years (around 20). Bad hobby!

I traded my 2022 45e in for a 2024 40i. I've owned 40i and 50i X5s in the past (plus previous generation 35, etc)

I love playing with the latest and didn't like the electric only power of the 45e or the luxury seats, so took a shot at the new 40i.

My 2024 is an Alpine White M-Sport with Coffee Sensafin interior.

1. Sensafin has really surprised me. I really like it, first time I have had it and I do not miss leather.
2. Glad to have the HK back, like it better than the base system I had from the pandemic even with mods done
3. Parts of the external refresh look nice, the black on the front is iffy and maybe a little too Kia like. Either way, many positive comments from others on the look
4. Prefer the overall drive of the 40i. It is obviously lighter than the 45e but I prefer this suspension over the 45e air suspension.
5. Voice recognition is very good.
6. Seats, love the base sport seats. For me much nicer than the luxury seats in comfort.

Dislikes/Issues

1. iDrive 8. Hate it. I fiddle with the A/C fan speed and it is a pain. Even changing the temp requires a pretty exact press which is hard while driving, especially on bumpy roads. Voice recognition is good - but I do not talk to my car when I have passenger(s). Radio presets up/down on the steering wheel do not always work.
2. Stop/Start. Terrible since it impacts the A/C. It has been around 90 here the last few days and the A/C is not as powerful when the engine stops (not an issue with the 45e). Also [...]
The rasp you’re hearing at cold start is because the exhaust valves are open when started for a few seconds. I’m not sure what the reasoning is for it, perhaps it has something to do with heating the engine up. But this is on all newer g series bmws.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 09:28 PM   #116
kiw1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Agree on idrive 8. Between the Android auto issues, and not having a physical button for air it's a net downgrade for me. Still a great car.
2012 Audi A4 Avant - SOLD
Insta: mtn_m3cx
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 08:10 AM   #117
Condorll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905hamza View Post
The rasp you’re hearing at cold start is because the exhaust valves are open when started for a few seconds. I’m not sure what the reasoning is for it, perhaps it has something to do with heating the engine up. But this is on all newer g series bmws.
I love the rasp on my '23 X5 40i on a cold start. It reminds me what I am driving. Loving the X5 and every drive I do.
Appreciate 1
Cityman181.00
      02-10-2024, 06:24 PM   #118
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Having just picked up a late '22 X5 40i with a mere 3k miles, I just wanted to thank the OP and others with this terrible hobby/addiction, as we're beyond ecstatic about our new ride and saving a whole bundle of cash on it vs. a brand new one, especially not really caring for the LCI changes.

We're told that ours just sat garaged in someone's beach vacation home and was only driven when they were there (not much), and then sold it back after a year and two months.

We put a lot of thought into the vehicles we purchase, and generally plan to own them long-term. We're definitely not the gotta have the latest types. I'm the original owner of my 2011 E93 335i. Literally last of breed with no iDrive and the last BMW model with hydraulic power steering as far as I'm aware. It's a classic, and fantastic even closing in on being 13 years old. We were going to trade it for the G05 just picked up for my wife, but just sunk another $1400 in repairs into it so might as well keep driving it for a bit longer. That might be part of why we still have it!
Appreciate 1
Mattl0806984.50
      02-10-2024, 06:30 PM   #119
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XZLR8 View Post
I've always said (read: justified) that I don't buy boats or jetskis or snowmobiles or motorcycles or vacation homes, I don't smoke fancy cigars or buy vintage wines, and I don't gamble or do (at least most) drugs. So let me have my car thing, please.

Oh, and watches.
+1 for watches. Got a few myself. Just picked up a new Submariner 126610LN in December.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 08:07 PM   #120
Jen4BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 X3 M40i

Quote:
Funny story. I've used the same dealership for the most part and regardless of how much business I have given them, they are now a pain in the ass to work with. Every deal is a battle. I am leaving them because of that.
Agreed. They re-modeled their show floors, took away the free donuts and have done nothing to improve the customer experience. They do nothing but play games even with their loyal customers, switch numbers around at signing and if it wasn’t for the fact that the only other dealership in town sucks just as bad I’d never step foot in the place.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 08:52 PM   #121
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
In US usually upper middle class do this sort of thing. The top 5% usually spend money on things that are not mass- luxury. Even luxury brands like Louis Vuitton and Prada don’t really target the rich in the US - usually pay check to paycheck upper middle income and lower high income types. You can’t equate money to people in BMWs, Range Rover or Mercedes buyers in the US.

JMHO.

(Edited typo)
Very true. We know people making well below $100k driving X1's, and then a couple clearing probably >$1M also with an X1 and a beat old Sienna minivan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
But 20 X5’s? X5 are just general SUVs. That is what is confusing me. I know many people who are car enthusiasts. But X5 40i?
Where in the DC area are you?

Was running around for an hour tonight in MD/MoCo, and not once did I ever have an opportunity to step on it. The lightning fast cars they're making these days with sub-5s 0-60 times (technically the x40i still qualifies!) just don't appeal to me when it's so difficult if not impossible to ever actually enjoy that around here. Ditto with my '11 E93 335i which is actually slower than the G05 x40i, yet still quicker than I can ever really enjoy. As if traffic isn't bad enough, yet more people are piling into the area all while they take travel lanes away in favor of bike lanes.

We're outta here for Florida in a few years. My tune might change then.

Last edited by SteVTEC; 02-10-2024 at 10:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 09:00 PM   #122
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. They re-modeled their show floors, took away the free donuts and have done nothing to improve the customer experience. They do nothing but play games even with their loyal customers, switch numbers around at signing and if it wasn’t for the fact that the only other dealership in town sucks just as bad I’d never step foot in the place.
Buy from another preferably in-state dealer that are not "asshoe", and just use the local one for service. That's what I do, but we do have at least 5 BMW dealerships in the DC area so it's a pretty competitive market. Would not tolerate BS like that, especially if I was flipping a car every year.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 09:22 PM   #123
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Quote:
Not sure which one you are referring to. I moved from the 35w dealership to the western side dealership. I have a great sales guy and they have been great to work with. Didn't used to be that way. The 35w dealership lost their general manager, everything went down hill after that.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 09:34 PM   #124
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I am at the 5 year mark with our '19 40i Msport. Will NOT buy a newer model. I coded ASS so that it stays OFF. Only comes in in ECO PRO mode which I never use. I like buttons and detest touchscreens. I do use voice commands with Android Auto but very rarely for anything else.
I don't know what I will move to next since it seems almost everyone is going in the same direction with huge screens, no buttons, no gearshift, etc.I guess I'll be buying pre-owned.
Appreciate 3
swainbmw525.50
LuckyBrand1296.00
Mixitt372.00