BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-11-2023, 07:33 PM   #1
ven7782
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i, 2017 Q7 prestige

2019 BMW X5 disable at the signal. Had to tow it.

Hello friends, I am extremely frustrated with the shitty BMW. I was stopped at a signal and the auto stop start shut the engine but won't it it back ON. I was stranded in the middle of the road. Had to call the police and they tried to jump start it. But it did not start and possibly the alternator is blown as there was smoke coming out and some burnt plastic smell emanating. The police had to call a tow truck as this shitty vehicle won't even go to Neutral. Had it towed to my residence at the expense of $350. Now I have to get it towed to the dealership tomorrow.

My questions are
1.) The X5 is 4 years and 6 months old. Will this issue be covered under warranty?
2.) A practically new BMW cannot just be disabled without any warning. What are my legal options here? I want BMW to take responsibility as this is a safety issue.

Thanks,
Ben.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 08:16 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Sorry to hear that you are having a problem. It is not covered by warranty, unless you bought it CPO. You have no viable legal options, vehicles break down at any time. As an aside, a 4.5 year old vehicle is not practically new.

Good luck and hopefully it is something simple.
swainbmw525.50
      08-11-2023, 09:11 PM   #3
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ven7782 View Post
Hello friends, I am extremely frustrated with the shitty BMW. I was stopped at a signal and the auto stop start shut the engine but won't it it back ON. I was stranded in the middle of the road. Had to call the police and they tried to jump start it. But it did not start and possibly the alternator is blown as there was smoke coming out and some burnt plastic smell emanating. The police had to call a tow truck as this shitty vehicle won't even go to Neutral. Had it towed to my residence at the expense of $350. Now I have to get it towed to the dealership tomorrow.

My questions are
1.) The X5 is 4 years and 6 months old. Will this issue be covered under warranty?
2.) A practically new BMW cannot just be disabled without any warning. What are my legal options here? I want BMW to take responsibility as this is a safety issue.

Thanks,
Ben.
4 years and 6 months old is no where near new in terms of BMW.

You always have the option to make a case to sue them, as you are in the great USA. It would be very hard to win though, unless you can prove they made gross negligence somewhere. Car cannot start at stop can hardly be argued as such; car engine locks up when driving due to design defect would probably be.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 07:51 AM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ven7782 View Post

My questions are

Thanks,
Ben.
Ugh! The worst nightmare comes true, stuck in the middle of traffic with a dead car. Right, its not easy to manually put the X5 in neutral without the knowledge and courage to crawl underneath it and do what's required knowing that as soon as its in neutral it might start to roll and you're still under it Aside from that, putting it in neutral wouldn't have really helped.

Anyway, shit happens and this time it was your turn but that doesn't mean it's a shitty car, you probably enjoyed it up to this sad moment. How many miles are on it? Like TB said, without some sort of extended warranty to get you past the factory 4 yrs, your warranty is up just like on any other car. Why didn't you have it towed directly to the dealership instead of to your home, just curious.

Without an extended warranty of some kind, you are six months past the end of the factory warranty and if this is the first occurrence of this issue, therefore you do not have a history of previous complaints, repair work for this same issue and your mileage is beyond 48K, its not a manufacturer liability. Sorry as I know you don't want to hear that but it is what it is. Take it in, let service look at it and have a "nice" discussion with the service manager and see what all your options are.
Appreciate 0