BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-02-2018, 08:27 AM   #1
sb1805
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Driving assistance package not on configurator?

Anyone notice that the bmwusa x5 40i configurator no longer shows the driving assistance package? Makes me worry even more about this option that I have already been worried about given the comments I've seen on here.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Still listed/available for the 50i. I’ve seen the configurator do wonky things on Sundays. Seems like they work on the code or something on Sundays...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #3
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Ya I noticed that also - guessing they may be making the change now that it is December over from Driving Assistant Package Plus to Pro with the new description.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 07:32 PM   #4
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Still missing...

But they have added Bowers and Wilkins sound system along with the rear seat entertainment...

Looks like the 12/18 SOP options are being added...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 05:04 AM   #5
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Looks like they’ve removed the option to select Driving Assistance from all X5 configurations...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 06:35 PM   #6
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
Looks like they’ve removed the option to select Driving Assistance from all X5 configurations...
So weird, now it is gone from the 50i also, it was already a shitty lame configurator compared to what other countries get and they can't even update it right - hope they are spending all their time building the cars better instead of the website.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #7
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1805 View Post
Anyone notice that the bmwusa x5 40i configurator no longer shows the driving assistance package? Makes me worry even more about this option that I have already been worried about given the comments I've seen on here.
I think it is listed as a standard feature and therefore not in the configurator.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:06 PM   #8
mrickard
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustMD View Post
I think it is listed as a standard feature and therefore not in the configurator.
There are standard driving assistant features, but the driving assistant package (plus, now pro as of 12/1) has additional functionality.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:50 PM   #9
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrickard View Post
There are standard driving assistant features, but the driving assistant package (plus, now pro as of 12/1) has additional functionality.
you are correct. did they remove the driving assistant plus/pro package because it was faulty?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 10:31 PM   #10
Buckett76
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i

Probably a supply issue creating production problems. We have it and it's fine, other than the steering intervention, which can be turned off. But this also includes traffic jam assist and that works fine. I would think if it's a faulty system we would have gotten a notice to turn it off all together or some recall.

Also noticed you can now get the air suspension with M sport
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 12:20 AM   #11
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 Mineral White X5MC

I feel the driver assistance features are very good. Yes the lane departure assistant is aggressive at times, but man was it sooooo nice to let it drive through stop and go traffic with a couple fingers on the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 11:07 PM   #12
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckett76 View Post
Probably a supply issue creating production problems. We have it and it's fine, other than the steering intervention, which can be turned off. But this also includes traffic jam assist and that works fine. I would think if it's a faulty system we would have gotten a notice to turn it off all together or some recall.

Also noticed you can now get the air suspension with M sport
I have received mixed messages from two dealers in my area when asked about drivetrain malfunction and why drive assist pro package removed from configurator. both denied any knowledge of drivetrain malfunctions. one stated that drive assist package pro features are now standard on all X5 models and are available as drive assist package and that is why "pro/plus" version is not available. Second dealer stated that there is shortage of drive assist package and that is why it is not available in the configurator. I feel like there is something both the dealers are hiding. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 07:05 AM   #13
adr1974
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive 40i

It's back on the configurator.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 07:12 AM   #14
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have received mixed messages from two dealers in my area when asked about drivetrain malfunction and why drive assist pro package removed from configurator. both denied any knowledge of drivetrain malfunctions. one stated that drive assist package pro features are now standard on all X5 models and are available as drive assist package and that is why "pro/plus" version is not available. Second dealer stated that there is shortage of drive assist package and that is why it is not available in the configurator. I feel like there is something both the dealers are hiding. Any thoughts?
I think it is just a screw up on their site configuration and dealer 2 maybe is correct about a parts shortage as a lot of us with builds starting this week with the professional version had production pushed 3-5 days. Dealer that said it is standard is an idiot but if you can get it in writing from him will save you $1700!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #15
paul45
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr1974 View Post
It's back on the configurator.
Even the "Accoustic Glass" option is there, for the first time!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #16
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
I think it is just a screw up on their site configuration and dealer 2 maybe is correct about a parts shortage as a lot of us with builds starting this week with the professional version had production pushed 3-5 days. Dealer that said it is standard is an idiot but if you can get it in writing from him will save you $1700!
So the dealer 1 replied today in texting. Drive assist plus is now standard feature on all models and it was on the car’s configuration for 1700$. They stated that drive assist professional is added as an upgrade for 1700$ now. I dont know what is the difference between plus and professional packages and if the professoonal package is worth having
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #17
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
So the dealer 1 replied today in texting. Drive assist plus is now standard feature on all models and it was on the car’s configuration for 1700$. They stated that drive assist professional is added as an upgrade for 1700$ now. I dont know what is the difference between plus and professional packages and if the professoonal package is worth having
Professional has the infrared camera that sits in the instrument cluster. This monitors the driver to ensure they're looking at the road when it uses the drivers assist stuff in certain scenarios.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #18
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

It's back up but the description is weak or functions that used to be included with Driving Assistance Professional are no longer included.

The configurator describes Driving Assistance Professional this way:

"
Driving Assistance Professional Package
$1,700

Extended Traffic Jam Assistant provides partially automated support on limited-access highways, as well as support for narrow road sections; Pulling on a lever, Emergency Stop Assistant brings the vehicle to a stop in case of a health emergency; and Evasion Aid assists in critical approach situations by reacting to vehicles and pedestrians in front of you.

More Details

Active Driving Assistant Pro
Extended Traffic Jam Assistant for limited access highways"

Notice that the more details doesn't provide more details. There is no mention of automatic lane change.

Now I have to search back to the original description of Professional and see what is either no longer included or simply not in the description.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #19
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Description of Driving Assistance Professional from Press Release

On June 5, 2018, BMW issued a press release that described the features of Driving Assistance Professional this way:

"
Available as an option, the Driving Assistant Professional package is comprised of the Traffic Jam Assist with extended hands-off time (expected to be available from 12/2018) as well as
- more -
- 8 -
the Lane Keeping Assistant with active side collision protection. The Automatic Lane Change feature can be used on highways when the Lane Keeping Assistant is active. Holding the direction indicator in the required direction is all it takes to initiate a lane change. If the sensors detect that there is space in the adjacent lane and that no other vehicle is approaching at high speed, the driver benefits from helpful steering assistance during the lane change. Another component of the system is the evasion aid, which can help avoid collisions with vehicles or pedestrians suddenly appearing in the driver’s path. As soon as an evasive maneuver corresponding to such a scenario is detected, the system assists the driver with steering inputs to direct the vehicle into a clear adjacent lane."

The updated configurator makes no mention of the lane changing features mentioned in the press release.

Without the lane change features, its not clear (to me) what the advantage is over standard features.

I will contact my CA and ask. If anybody else gets an answer, please share. Thanks.

Last edited by sygazelle; 12-06-2018 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 02:17 PM   #20
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
On June 5, 2018, BMW issued a press release that described the features of Driving Assistance Professional this way:

"Comprehensive safety and comfort package: Comprehensive safety and comfort package: Comprehensive safety and comfort package: Comprehensive safety and comfort package: Comprehensive safety and comfort package: Comprehensive safety and comfort package: Comprehensive safety and comfort package: Comprehensive safety and comfort package: Comprehensive safety and comfort package: Comprehensive safety and comfort package: Comprehensive safety and comfort package: Comprehensive safety and comfort package: Comprehensive safety and comfort package: Comprehensive safety and comfort package: Comprehensive safety and comfort package: Comprehensive safety and comfort package: Comprehensive safety and comfort package: Comprehensive safety and comfort package: Comprehensive safety and comfort package: Active Active Active Active Driving Assistant Driving Assistant Driving Assistant Driving Assistant Driving Assistant Driving Assistant Driving Assistant Driving Assistant Driving Assistant Driving Assistant Driving Assistant Professional. rofessional. rofessional. rofessional. rofessional. rofessional. rofessional.
Available as an option, the Driving Assistant Professional package is comprised of the Traffic Jam Assist with extended hands-off time (expected to be available from 12/2018) as well as
- more -
- 8 -
the Lane Keeping Assistant with active side collision protection. The Automatic Lane Change feature can be used on highways when the Lane Keeping Assistant is active. Holding the direction indicator in the required direction is all it takes to initiate a lane change. If the sensors detect that there is space in the adjacent lane and that no other vehicle is approaching at high speed, the driver benefits from helpful steering assistance during the lane change. Another component of the system is the evasion aid, which can help avoid collisions with vehicles or pedestrians suddenly appearing in the driver’s path. As soon as an evasive maneuver corresponding to such a scenario is detected, the system assists the driver with steering inputs to direct the vehicle into a clear adjacent lane."

The updated configurator makes no mention of the lane changing features mentioned in the press release.

Without the lane change features, its not clear (to me) what the advantage is over standard features.

I will contact my CA and ask. If anybody else gets an answer, please share. Thanks.
It works for longer periods and in more environments to a higher degree. That's about as simple an explanation to their difference.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #21
paul45
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Somewhat confused.
Does "Driving Assistance Professional" include radar based cruise control that automatically adjusts vehicle speed based on distance from the car ahead?
Can someone clarify?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #22
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post

"
- more -
- 8 -

So the CA with Dealer 1 is now stating that Driving Assistant Pro is same as the old Driving Assistant Plus. The build of my car has Driving Assistant Plus and the CA told me yesterday that Plus is standard on all models now. Therefore, when I asked for discount of 1700$ for the Plus, she checked with her dealership and now says the Plus is now Professional and costs 1700$.
I am confused. Does anyone know if Driving Assist Plus is same as Professional?
Appreciate 0