BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-23-2021, 10:20 PM   #1
Vatreni_
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

X5 vs XC90 when will 2022 details be available

I'm cross-shopping the X5 40i (prem enhanced, air suspension and third row) vs XC90 (T8 recharge inscription).

I test drove the XC90 a couple days ago and it was nice, but boring. The seats were comfortable, very little outside noise, great interior space, but the driving experience was well below my expectations for the price point. I felt no sales pressure and the dealer was up front about all current promotions and no deposit required (MY2021).

I test drove an X5 40i today. The ride was noticeably sportier. The steering wheel, acceleration, braking were all better than the XC90. The screen, hud, and technology options also seemed to be much more advanced.

When it came down to discussing figures for leasing the X5, I was told that I could put a deposit down secure a spot on the list for a factory order, but there are currently no details on leasing for MY2022 yet. I didn't feel comfortable doing this on the spot and walked away. I want the X5, but it felt weird to put a deposit without even being able to negotiate the figures. When the rep plugged in the amounts in his computer he only offered 2.5% off MSRP and wasn't able to show monthly lease amounts due to the lack of residual value figures and interest rates from BMW Finance. I get the X5 is in demand and there are supply shortages, but I just couldn't bring myself to put a several thousand dollar deposit down, without knowing the actual total cost and monthly lease figures.

Does anyone know when those figures will be available? I was told in Aug.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 10:06 AM   #2
IFlyX5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 s40i, '22 X5 x45e

You're absolutely right about "boring". Tech, HUD, power, and even seats in the X5 are much better than XC90. I had a MY18 XC90 and was looking to trade up to a MY21 XC90 Inscription but walked away.
      08-01-2021, 08:21 PM   #3
wall_nut
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 x45e

So ... I've not owned any BMW yet. I'm waiting on a 22 X5 PHEV. I've owned two XC90 Inscriptions. 2017 and 2018. Based on test driving the X5 I would say the Volvo is like choosing an iphone over an Android. the Volvo is much more limited in customizations but also much more refined. With the Volvo everything is in just the right place and ergonomically better. The cabin is serene and peaceful. I love it. However the Sensus infotainment is on the way out and I'm looking forward to the upcoming Android Automotive OS in Volvos. For now I would have a hard time choosing the Volvo just because of the current infotainment system.

The BMW strikes me as a better overall fun driving experience with lots of things to tinker with. I am worried a bit more about the long term ownership experience with BMW. The extended warranty options with Volvo are much longer and reasonably priced. That makes me wonder if BMW is fully aware of just how expensive their vehicles are to keep working at the level you purchased it at. Frankly I don't get it...a Volvo 10y 100k platinum warranty with $0 deductible can be had for less than $4k. with BMW I hear the best you can get is 7 years and it runs closer to $6-$7k.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 10:02 PM   #4
G07xG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 - 2024 M3 Comp

August numbers will be released this week. I'm guessing it will only get worse but let's see what happens!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 10:29 PM   #5
Vatreni_
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

My family will soon be (3 kids under 7) and we need the third row. X7, Q7 and minivans are off the table. I live in a city that gets a lot of snow and I'll need to buy a winter tire package.

Pre-covid we had relatively short daily urban commutes with occasional longer road trips (1000km). Our current vehicle (2013) has just over 60,000km.

X5 40i: more fun to drive, however the third row is an afterthought. In Ontario, I need to add the premium enhanced package $9k plus the third row itself $2.1k. Third row is slightly smaller than the XC90 in head, leg, shoulder room.

XC90: more practical use of its 7 seats. Each second row seat independently slides, the third row and space behind seems larger, despite similar overall length.

Still waiting for 2022 BMW Canada lease figures...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 12:31 AM   #6
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatreni_ View Post
My family will soon be (3 kids under 7) and we need the third row. X7, Q7 and minivans are off the table. I live in a city that gets a lot of snow and I'll need to buy a winter tire package.

Pre-covid we had relatively short daily urban commutes with occasional longer road trips (1000km). Our current vehicle (2013) has just over 60,000km.

X5 40i: more fun to drive, however the third row is an afterthought. In Ontario, I need to add the premium enhanced package $9k plus the third row itself $2.1k. Third row is slightly smaller than the XC90 in head, leg, shoulder room.

XC90: more practical use of its 7 seats. Each second row seat independently slides, the third row and space behind seems larger, despite similar overall length.

Still waiting for 2022 BMW Canada lease figures...
X7 if you need a 3rd row?
XC90 is boring.
      08-03-2021, 08:46 AM   #7
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I have an XC90, and am waiting production on a X5. It's really more of a 3 row vehicle, the 3rd row is usable and I've even had adults there for extended trips (voluntarily). Volvos are purchased firstly for safety over all else, if your priority is driving mechanics it's logical to get a BMW (although the R-Design will give you a noticeably stiffer drive than an Inscription or the X5). I purchased it based on how it handled on crash test videos not performance. This is also a 2016 design, they're moving on to another design entirely. I would wait for the next gen at this point, which won't be called an XC90 anymore.

That being said, there are still a couple of reasons someone might get an XC90. You can get pre-chip shortage level discounts on XC90 where discounts aren't much on an X5. Chip shortage is removing some features on an X5, the most important is the crap audio and slightly better HK audio on the m50. The Volvo B&W audio is better than anything on the BMW. Savage geese tested it to be better than anything you can get under $120k.

All in all, for someone looking for driving dynamics and not in need of a 3rd row the X5 is still the way to go.
Appreciate 3