E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > exhaust experts, please help.

08-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
JETBLK335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

exhaust experts, please help.

Hello,

wanted all the exhaust experts to chime in.

im running AR catless downpipes and Alternative to PE mod done by ACM.

thinking of running a custom straight pipe from the secondary resonator to the muffler and then installing vibrant 1792 resonators inbetween to minimize rasp.

straight line = straight pipe
circle = vibrant resonator

has anyone performed this?
any ill effects of doing this?
any back pressure issues, etc.?

i definitely rasp with my current set up, but as the car warms up and after a few pulls, the rasp seems to go away somewhat.

Found this exhaust pic on the web and added my idea. thanks in advance to whoevers pic this is.

Let me know what the experts think.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

You can't do it because of clearance issues. Aftermarket catbacks can get away with it because the muffler inlets arn't separated; they are towards the center next to each other.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 03:15 AM   #3
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
0 back pressure issues and nothing to worry about, you will be very happy with the results, just go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
You can't do it because of clearance issues. Aftermarket catbacks can get away with it because the muffler inlets arn't separated; they are towards the center next to each other.
It definitely can be done.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
0 back pressure issues and nothing to worry about, you will be very happy with the results, just go for it.

It definitely can be done.
When I tried the differential and rear suspension components left no room for it to be done, unless I had a bend going into the muffler, which defeats the purpose IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
JETBLK335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If it would eliminate the rasp and straighten out the bends in the Oem, that's my purpose.

Ill have to lift the car up.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
When I tried the differential and rear suspension components left no room for it to be done, unless I had a bend going into the muffler, which defeats the purpose IMO.
I managed to fit it before the diff pretty comfortably. 3 other friends did it after me at 3 diff shops and were all successful too, so it's definitely do-able.

I'm going to try and jack the car up tommorow and stick my arm under and see if I can get any half decent pics of where the resonators sit.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
JETBLK335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G
Quote:
I managed to fit it before the diff pretty comfortably. 3 other friends did it after me at 3 diff shops and were all successful too, so it's definitely do-able.

I'm going to try and jack the car up tommorow and stick my arm under and see if I can get any half decent pics of where the resonators sit.
Tks. Even if I run the straight pipes a little farther up from the sec res maybe it will work.
Appreciate 0