04-09-2022, 02:18 AM   #1
Tekhed2
Private
Rep
Drives: X5M

Exclamation Post MSS Install Question/Help

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I installed MSS springs on my X5MC about a month ago and have driven it a little over 500 miles post install. If I look carefully, I've noticed the the front wheels are cambered more than then rear.

This is not a surprise. Posts in this forum discuss increased front camber...and my alignment report agrees.

That said, on day 1 this was not noticeable, but now it is for me and at least one other enthusiast friend. My wife couldn't see it.

I'm set at max drop front and 10mm lifted from max on rear.

1. Has anyone lifted the front to correct this. If so, how much higher did you go (front and back)?

2. Has anyone added camber to the rear to balance this, and avoid the lift (obviously adjust toe)?

I'm asking because on Monday I go back in for my post-install alignment. I love the stance, but the "staggered camber" is annoying me. I'm considering lifting by 5mm front and back.

Disclosure: For the record, one forum member did pre-warn me and offered advice to lift. All the pics on Bimmerpost of "that sweet drop"...just too tempting to avoid. I'm on the fence simply because I don't want to give an inch after finally ridding myself of the 4x4 look.

Thank you!

EDIT:

Added photos and last alignment (right after MSS install). I feel like a lunatic because I can't see the camber in my pics, but while I'm sitting there taking the photo I see it. Regardless, as Wtfitzvi mentioned, I don't see me going back to the way it was.

Any commentary in this thread is welcomed. Perhaps I'll learn something new or perhaps it will save someone else from creating another thread around the same topic.

Cheers.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tekhed2; 04-09-2022 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 10:58 AM   #2
Wtfitzvi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
Here is my car after installing the MSS kit. I'm also max drop front and 10mm rear.

I don't see any crazy camber issues on my car. Negative camber is normal when lowering any vehicle.

Me personally I'll never go back to the stock baja ride height lol
Attached Images

r33_RGSport12958.50
sniez0.00
      04-09-2022, 03:37 PM   #3
Tekhed2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtfitzvi View Post
Here is my car after installing the MSS kit. I'm also max drop front and 10mm rear.

I don't see any crazy camber issues on my car. Negative camber is normal when lowering any vehicle.

Me personally I'll never go back to the stock baja ride height lol
Super grateful for the pics! Beautiful setup as well. Ok, I'll go get a pic of mine. I don't see noticeable camber on yours.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 07:46 PM   #4
GotBeemed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997 911, F95 X5M Competition

Yes Sir. The toe is always an issue for any vehicle that is lowered from its factory ride height. Some vehicles are worse than others. Some vehicles can be adjusted out via the factory adjustment but others require an aftermarket kit to allow for more adjustment. Unfortunately, the X5M is in that lot, however, it could be much worse than it is. To my knowledge, there is currently no one in the market that makes a camber kit for the F95/F96. Ben from RGSport is considering it, however. If it makes you feel any better, my toe and camber were out of spec from the damn factory!!!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12958.50
      04-09-2022, 08:18 PM   #5
Tekhed2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBeemed View Post
Yes Sir. The toe is always an issue for any vehicle that is lowered from its factory ride height. Some vehicles are worse than others. Some vehicles can be adjusted out via the factory adjustment but others require an aftermarket kit to allow for more adjustment. Unfortunately, the X5M is in that lot, however, it could be much worse than it is. To my knowledge, there is currently no one in the market that makes a camber kit for the F95/F96. Ben from RGSport is considering it, however. If it makes you feel any better, my toe and camber were out of spec from the damn factory!!!

Whaaa!?! That's nuts. Yeah this particular topic is not my strength.

I did research on the camber plates but I imagine the market isn't strong enough when it comes to X5s.

I've settled on keeping it the way it is, let the shop run post-settling alignment, and buy front tires as needed. Can't be any worse than the Hellcat I owned (new rears every 8 months…just for thinking about driving it).

Oh, I do feel better now (jk).
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 09:12 PM   #6
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Once its dropped the front camber is going to be out of wack and as of now there isn't anything we could do about it since its non adjustable. I'm on MSS at max drop up front and the neg camber is def. noticeable. I am also getting massive inner tire edge wear where I think the front tires will be junk after one year.

I hate to say this but you gotta pay to play in this case because I just couldn't deal with the factory monster truck wheel gap so if that means getting new tires every summer then so be it.

Alan
      04-10-2022, 10:37 PM   #7
Tekhed2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Once its dropped the front camber is going to be out of wack and as of now there isn't anything we could do about it since its non adjustable. I'm on MSS at max drop up front and the neg camber is def. noticeable. I am also getting massive inner tire edge wear where I think the front tires will be junk after one year.

I hate to say this but you gotta pay to play in this case because I just couldn't deal with the factory monster truck wheel gap so if that means getting new tires every summer then so be it.

Alan
Thanks Alan. Agreed. I'm all too familiar with the phrase.

I think my OCD was kicking in and exaggerating the camber in my mind. I've asked other friends and they said they didn't notice until I pointed it out.

That said, the drop looks so appropriate.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 10:20 AM   #8
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

This is the result of the negative camber wear up front. The rears are fine since you can adjust everything. This tire has maybe 5-6K miles on it if that. Both front tires looks the same. Plenty of meat left on the rest of the tire.

Something those with a drop should monitor. I didn't realize it was this bad until I took off the wheels.

04-11-2022, 12:41 PM   #9
scottiekay73
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5M Comp

im about to grab a set of MSS with spacers for my truck, do you think that lifting the front a smidge would matter? like 15m would help this?
      04-11-2022, 06:14 PM   #10
bobbis1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

I did not do full lowering, I just swapped my snow tires which were 8.5s and did not see this.
Appreciate 1
Tekhed2126.00
      04-11-2022, 10:36 PM   #11
Tekhed2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
This is the result of the negative camber wear up front. The rears are fine since you can adjust everything. This tire has maybe 5-6K miles on it if that. Both front tires looks the same. Plenty of meat left on the rest of the tire.

Something those with a drop should monitor. I didn't realize it was this bad until I took off the wheels.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...c1dd630e_k.jpg[/img]
Thanks for sharing this Alan.

For anyone reading this thread, don't forget to get your second alignment post settle. Completed mine today and was surprised how much everything shifted.

Kept the stance…tires are temporary…might as well enjoy the ride.

Alan, does this include any long road trips? I noticed you have a roof cargo carrier.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 10:41 PM   #12
Tekhed2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiekay73 View Post
im about to grab a set of MSS with spacers for my truck, do you think that lifting the front a smidge would matter? like 15m would help this?
Tenac suggested 10mm front and 15mm rear as a compromise. He did say that it probably wouldn't eliminate the extra wear, possibly buy me a couple extra thousand miles.

I opted to keep the drop. I work from home and average 200 miles a month, and we have other vehicles.

Of course this my new mods may make me want to drive it even more.

If you choose higher settings please post.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 11:02 PM   #13
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F95 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekhed2 View Post
Quote:
Tenac suggested 10mm front and 15mm rear as a compromise. He did say that it probably wouldn't eliminate the extra wear, possibly buy me a couple extra thousand miles.

I opted to keep the drop. I work from home and average 200 miles a month, and we have other vehicles.

I remember when I went for alignment in 2021 after dropping, the service advisor mentioned about a camber kit. He said that usually bmw makes them for the M vehicles but when I went that was not available for the F95. It could be BS but he mentioned that.

My fronts have 8.5k miles on them and still going strong. I am on my second set of rears; those lasted 5k. I do drive the car as intended 😄. Anyway, Tires are replaceable. Enjoy the car!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 11:09 PM   #14
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for sharing this Alan.

For anyone reading this thread, don't forget to get your second alignment post settle. Completed mine today and was surprised how much everything shifted.

Kept the stance…tires are temporary…might as well enjoy the ride.

Alan, does this include any long road trips? I noticed you have a roof cargo carrier.
Yes I think I did two long road trips on those tires last summer. 5 hour drives each time.

Alan
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 11:15 PM   #15
MIA_F80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 Yas Marina

Quote:
Quote:

So you suggesting dropping to 10mm front and 15mm rear as best combo to reduce as much tire wear as possible due to camber?

I am about to buy my set of MSS. I was also thinking of going with 15mm/18mm spacers for a flush look.

Currently I'm on stock suspension with 12/18mm spacers
Attached Images

04-12-2022, 09:50 AM   #16
Tekhed2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA_F80 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

So you suggesting dropping to 10mm front and 15mm rear as best combo to reduce as much tire wear as possible due to camber?

I am about to buy my set of MSS. I was also thinking of going with 15mm/18mm spacers for a flush look.

Currently I'm on stock suspension with 12/18mm spacers
I personally am not suggesting any particular ride height as I'm struggling with my own decisions. A friend of mine who's been a forum member for quite some time suggested 10 front and 15mm rear as a compromise between full lower and 4x4.

Honestly I love the drop suggested by RG Sport 0mm front & 10mm rear. That's what I have now. I don't think I give a damn about front tire longevity as long as they last longer that 3k miles.

Just installed my Streckenn carbon splitter yesterday and the whole "look" just works…so no way am I going to raise it now.

If someone else does it and the difference is aesthetically negligible…I'll reconsider.

Beautiful color by the way.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12958.50