PeterK1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2022 BMW M440i  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Newbie here with 2020 xDrive 40i

My daughters's inheritance took a bit of a hit today when I ordered a new X5. I have had several MB E450's since 2002 punctuated with a short spell with a 550i sedan (which I never really liked) and it was time for change. My wife has been driving Acura SUV's and for a number of reasons we decided to switch me into an SUV and get her the new TLX sedan. One key factor is that in "normal" years we drive down to California in the SUV to spend the winters my MB sits in the garage up here for five months. Our most expensive car was sitting, depreciating and not been driven (10K kms in two years)

The X5 is Tanzanite Blue with Tartufo meridian seats and comes with the M Sport and Premium Excellence Package. The Excellence package has pretty well all the bells and whistles which are fun to have but if past experience holds up I will pretty forget about using them after the initial "newness" wears off. The car should be here in a couple of weeks.

The other vehicles I considered were the new Genesis GV80 and the Audi Q7 but I decided the Genesis while good value was new and untested and the Q7 wasn't as fun to drive as the X5.

I have been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks and have learned much. One invaluable thing I learned was that the 2021 cars do have the ability to cancel the Auto/off feature. Although I understand the mild hybrid is smoother than the older cars it is a feature that I strongly dislike. I had ordered a 2021 car but fortunately read the long thread on the subject and was able to change my order. Interestingly both the salesperson and sales manager were not aware of the missing button on the 2021's.

I expect I will be asking lots of questions in the next few months and hope to be able to contribute once I am familiar with the X5
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:08 PM   #2
Finito84
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Welcome to the forum - I am a newbie too waiting for the X5 45e.

I loved how you started the post "My daughters's inheritance took a bit of a hit today". The Tanzanite Blue color and packages that you got are great choices.

A lot of good information is shared here and people are really knowledgeable, even more than some BMW employees. In some cases, it is even difficult to keep track with the level of detail or technical jargon in some post, but I always learn something new.

Enjoy your new X5!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 06:09 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Welcome and congratulations, hopefully the wait isn't too bad. Good luck, enjoy and be safe.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 10:36 PM   #4
Jagoffee
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5, 2019 Honda Pilot.

BMW is still building 2020 X5 models?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 06:54 AM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagoffee View Post
I took at as he is getting a left over MY20 from another dealer shipped to his dealer.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10719.50
      10-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #6
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagoffee View Post
no, must be a 2021 or its a dealer trade and is waiting for the trade to come/happen.

congrats OP, looking forward to seeing it and hearing your thoughts when you get it.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #7
PeterK1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M440i  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Oops hit a snag.... whilst the dealer was fiddling around trying to make sure he could swap the wheels to the ones I wanted the car as sold by another dealer. It was in a warehouse in Calgary and several dealers have access to the inventory there.

Back to the drawing board....

I’m going to test a 2021 this morning to see if the AS/S is the pain in the ass :-) that it was in MB450 (which could be turned off). There are some encouraging posts on here indicating that it not as noticeable as on earlier cars

Will report back later.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 04:46 PM   #8
Nooch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK1 View Post
Oops hit a snag.... whilst the dealer was fiddling around trying to make sure he could swap the wheels to the ones I wanted the car as sold by another dealer. It was in a warehouse in Calgary and several dealers have access to the inventory there.

Back to the drawing board....

I’m going to test a 2021 this morning to see if the AS/S is the pain in the ass :-) that it was in MB450 (which could be turned off). There are some encouraging posts on here indicating that it not as noticeable as on earlier cars

Will report back later.
Any feedback on the test? Was it noticeable?
      10-22-2020, 08:11 PM   #9
PeterK1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M440i  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
I am now the owner of 2021 X5 in mineral white with the same specs that the Tanzanite one had.

Very good news on the AS/S front.

1) the salesperson set up an easy work around for the AS/S issue which I was really concerned about - She apparently configured all the Sport Individual settings to comfort which bypasses the AS/S. I test drove in heavy traffic for about half an hour an it worked flawlessly - She will demonstrate how to do it when I pick the car up on Sunday.

2) I turned the car off an of course it returned to normal Comfort mode and the the AS/S kicked in. I am happy to report that it's MUCH smoother than the AS/S on my MB E450 and really a non issue. You have to concentrate hard to be aware that it's happening. I guess it's the difference between the mild hybrid set up and the regular motor.

I thought the inability to turn off AS/S would be a deal breaker for me as I hate the AS/S in my MB and regularly turn it off. Not an issue on the 2021 X5 and I doubtI will even bother with the work around

YMMV but that's my thoughts

Last edited by PeterK1; 10-22-2020 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
TurtleBoy12882.00
      10-22-2020, 08:19 PM   #10
Nooch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M Sport

Quote:
I am now the owner of 2021 X5 in mineral white with the same specs that the Tanzanite one had.

1) the salesperson set up an easy work around for the AS/S issue which I was really concerned about - She apparently configured all the Sport Individual settings to comfort which bypasses the AS/S. I test drove in heavy traffic for about half an hour an it worked flawlessly - She will demonstrate how to do it when I pick the car up on Sunday.

2) I turned the car off an of course it returned to normal Comfort mode and the the AS/S kicked in. I am happy to report that it's MUCH smoother than the AS/S on my MB E450 and really a non issue. You have to concentrate hard to be aware that it's happening. I guess it's the difference between the mild hybrid set up and the regular ECM.

I thought the inability to turn off AS/S would be a deal breaker for me as I hate the AS/S in my MB and regularly turn it off. Not an issue on the 2021 X5 and I doubtI will even bother with the work around

Thank you for this! This is the review we have been waiting for!
      10-22-2020, 09:54 PM   #11
Jagoffee
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5, 2019 Honda Pilot.

Quote:

2) I turned the car off an of course it returned to normal Comfort mode and the the AS/S kicked in. I am happy to report that it's MUCH smoother than the AS/S on my MB E450 and really a non issue. You have to concentrate hard to be aware that it's happening. I guess it's the difference between the mild hybrid set up and the regular motor.

I agree based on my 2021 X5 experience so far. It makes me wonder if those that are concerned have had an opportunity to try it.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:18 PM   #12
Fishjr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Daily Driver

I’ve actually tested both the new GLE450 and the 2021 X5 40i, both of which has 48V mild hybrid technology, and can honestly say that I was impressed with how smooth the AS.S was. The MB felt much better to me in that I never felt the system kicking in while the X5 was a little more noticeable but wouldn’t call it intrusive by any means. It’s definitely miles better than any other system I’ve tested till date.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:08 PM   #13
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:

I agree. I thought it would bother me, but it has been a non-issue, except for the gas savings.
Appreciate 0