BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-20-2022, 12:15 PM   #1
doyall
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 45e

B58 oil capacity w/o filter change?

Is oil capacity of the B58 (2022 45e) the same whether the oil filter is changed or not? IOW, does the oil filter housing contain any significant amount of oil (as it might if it had an anti-drainback valve)?

I am going to do an oil change before the one year/10,000 mile mark and as by all reports the filter is the most difficult task I will wait for the dealer to do it. With only ~2,000 miles on the ICE I am not worried about the filter clogging up.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 12:20 PM   #2
gfeiner97
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X540i

When I changed the oil recently on my 22 40i, I don't remember there being any significant amount of oil left behind in the filter housing. If no one else chimes in with definitive info, you could always just reduce your fill by a 1/2 quart, then check the level.
Appreciate 1
doyall48.00
      11-20-2022, 04:16 PM   #3
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Oil filter house does NOT contain significant amount of oil. It is in rather high position, oil that can drain out will drain out. There is a bit left there. My suggestion is to add in whatever drained out from drain port as starting point check oil level then fill up to desired level.

However, I do think oil filter degradation is more of an issue than oil degradation. It is after all paper. If I were to go through the trouble of replacing the oil, I will definitely replace the filter as well. It is like $15. Location assess is not as simple as previous inline6, but still is quite reasonable.
doyall48.00
TheACN104.50
      05-16-2023, 10:17 AM   #4
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Oil filter house does NOT contain significant amount of oil. It is in rather high position, oil that can drain out will drain out. There is a bit left there. My suggestion is to add in whatever drained out from drain port as starting point check oil level then fill up to desired level.

However, I do think oil filter degradation is more of an issue than oil degradation. It is after all paper. If I were to go through the trouble of replacing the oil, I will definitely replace the filter as well. It is like $15. Location assess is not as simple as previous inline6, but still is quite reasonable.
I did my first oil change at 5000 miles and changed the filter These filters are quality they would last 20,000 miles. When I change it again at 10,000 I’m just going to drain and fill. I do a drain and refill every 6 months or 5000 miles so filter not really dirty
Appreciate 0