BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-05-2020, 10:17 PM   #1
RasGulla
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

iDrive update - Stuck at 55% "preparing..."

Apologies if this has been discussed before. I looked through the forums and didn't see it.

I finally got the notice to update from 07/2019.55 to 11/2019.70 yesterday. I've been refreshing for months trying to get it to show up.

I dropped my car off at the dealer for its 1st service yesterday and a few minutes after dropping it off the "update available" notice showed up on my phone. Coincidence?

Ok, so today I downloaded the update on my phone and proceeded to then upload to the car. Right away it showed 55% but then it just stays at 55% even after 25 minutes

This is my first time updating. What am I doing wrong?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:53 AM   #2
TJ_BMW
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d/BMW M5 F90 Comp

Garage List
I had similar issues with a really slow download. I found it really only downloaded when the car was being driven, and it took a few days to finish. This was odd, because it was pretty quick for the first update we had.

You can always try downloading it on your phone and pushing it straight to the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #3
RasGulla
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_BMW View Post
I had similar issues with a really slow download. I found it really only downloaded when the car was being driven, and it took a few days to finish. This was odd, because it was pretty quick for the first update we had.

You can always try downloading it on your phone and pushing it straight to the car.
This is coming off my phone.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 01:15 PM   #4
Mjbmw1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

There is an option to only download when wifi connected
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 04:39 PM   #5
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasGulla View Post
Apologies if this has been discussed before. I looked through the forums and didn't see it.

I finally got the notice to update from 07/2019.55 to 11/2019.70 yesterday. I've been refreshing for months trying to get it to show up.

I dropped my car off at the dealer for its 1st service yesterday and a few minutes after dropping it off the "update available" notice showed up on my phone. Coincidence?

Ok, so today I downloaded the update on my phone and proceeded to then upload to the car. Right away it showed 55% but then it just stays at 55% even after 25 minutes

This is my first time updating. What am I doing wrong?
Is this downloading direct to the car or is this transferring the download from your phone to the car?

I thing I notes from my recent upgrade is that the car batteries do need to sufficiently charged. -I think 80% plus for any download and install. With C-19 my car has hardly moved
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 07:12 PM   #6
RasGulla
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshD View Post
Is this downloading direct to the car or is this transferring the download from your phone to the car?

I thing I notes from my recent upgrade is that the car batteries do need to sufficiently charged. -I think 80% plus for any download and install. With C-19 my car has hardly moved
When I posted that image, it was transferring from the phone. The phone app showed the image depicting going from the phone to the car and the phone app showed a status as "uploading."

Today, the phone app shows "No Upgrade Available" but in the car it's still showing the same screen at 55%.

I'm confused
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 03:55 PM   #7
RasGulla
United_States
Rep

UPDATE:
The upgrade went through today. I didn't have to do anything. It's just an extremely slow process even when using a phone.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 08:28 AM   #8
CPTHALL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

I am still on 07/2019.55. Purchased Dec18. Still no remote update. 👎🏾
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #9
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTHALL View Post
Ya me too, Last week of November 18 build, one dealer SW update to 07/2019.55 and no OTA update - thanks BMW for selling me a car telling me it will get remote updates and almost 2 years later nothing, seems lots are getting them, would be nice if they prioritized those of us that wasted our money on so many vaporware features.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 03:41 PM   #10
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Quote:
Ya me too, Last week of November 18 build, one dealer SW update to 07/2019.55 and no OTA update - thanks BMW for selling me a car telling me it will get remote updates and almost 2 years later nothing, seems lots are getting them, would be nice if they prioritized those of us that wasted our money on so many vaporware features.
There are many reasons why an OTA may not be accepted on your car. If others with the same model and region are receiving updates, I would ask your dealer to check if there is a hard block issue with your car. Some errors may show up in ISTA, or they could tell if Bmw are holding an update back for xyz reason. They could/ should at least offer the option of a main dealer update in the interim to redress the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 10:22 AM   #11
superkrups20056
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:
Quote:
There are many reasons why an OTA may not be accepted on your car. If others with the same model and region are receiving updates, I would ask your dealer to check if there is a hard block issue with your car. Some errors may show up in ISTA, or they could tell if Bmw are holding an update back for xyz reason. They could/ should at least offer the option of a main dealer update in the interim to redress the issue.
This is the same problem with everyone's car so I doubt it's a block just on his car. I was on the 7/2019 update and had to go into the service center just to get the 3/2020 update, and now if I want the new maps for the 7/2020 update I have to bring it back in. The old BMWs have a way where you can download the update on a USB stick and upload it directly to the car; I don't know why BMW didn't implement this for these newer models because they obviously cannot push updates in a timely manner over the air. I don't know if it's an infrastructure problem or if they want to make sure that the newer updates don't totally destroy everyone's car on the road, which is why they are slowly bringing new ones to new cars over the course of random cars' servicing. But I think it's well-known that BMW over the air updates get pushed to their respective cars very late, sometimes over a year out.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 11:25 AM   #12
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkrups20056 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This is the same problem with everyone's car so I doubt it's a block just on his car. I was on the 7/2019 update and had to go into the service center just to get the 3/2020 update, and now if I want the new maps for the 7/2020 update I have to bring it back in. The old BMWs have a way where you can download the update on a USB stick and upload it directly to the car; I don't know why BMW didn't implement this for these newer models because they obviously cannot push updates in a timely manner over the air. I don't know if it's an infrastructure problem or if they want to make sure that the newer updates don't totally destroy everyone's car on the road, which is why they are slowly bringing new ones to new cars over the course of random cars' servicing. But I think it's well-known that BMW over the air updates get pushed to their respective cars very late, sometimes over a year out.
It's not the same problem on everyone's car. Some US users are receiving OTA updates, and multiple users on this forum have reported OTA updates being successfully delivered in Canada, UK, Australia etc.

This is not the same as the old usb updates which merely update the media unit. These are multiple ECU updates. The source media for programming in ISTA is over 100gb and the actual OTA RSU payload differs depending on model current version and options.

The OTA updates are generally one version behind the dealer delivered updates to reduce risk, so you will never get the latest version OTA.

Maps are delivered OTA. You don't need to take your car into the dealer to get a map update. You may be confusing the new online map feature update included with I-Step 07/2020, as opposed to map updates.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 12:20 PM   #13
superkrups20056
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's not the same problem on everyone's car. Some US users are receiving OTA updates, and multiple users on this forum have reported OTA updates being successfully delivered in Canada, UK, Australia etc.

This is not the same as the old usb updates which merely update the media unit. These are multiple ECU updates. The source media for programming in ISTA is over 100gb and the actual OTA RSU payload differs depending on model current version and options.

The OTA updates are generally one version behind the dealer delivered updates to reduce risk, so you will never get the latest version OTA.

Maps are delivered OTA. You don't need to take your car into the dealer to get a map update. You may be confusing the new online map feature update included with I-Step 07/2020, as opposed to map updates.
I see. Is there a reason why a number of cars are 2+ OTA updates behind and not able to receive the update via console? I was two updates behind for several months before I took it into the dealer. It seems to be the majority rather than the minority of the people from what I'm reading, which is why I didn't think there was any specific update blocking occurring on BMWs side for certain cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 02:33 PM   #14
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I see. Is there a reason why a number of cars are 2+ OTA updates behind and not able to receive the update via console? I was two updates behind for several months before I took it into the dealer. It seems to be the majority rather than the minority of the people from what I'm reading, which is why I didn't think there was any specific update blocking occurring on BMWs side for certain cars.
It is n-2 currently but has been n-1 for the majority of the time OTA has been available.. 07/2020 should be released OTA Q4 unless there are any major issues identified with dealership upgrades.

I know for a fact that RSU are blocked at the car due to either a BMW remote transmitted blocking code and/or if the car has an issue that would prevent an update being delivered e.g. battery discharge issue. This can take over 10k miles to clear. The dealer can identify if it is a car block due to BMW strategy or a car specific issue. Obviously if you are on a newer istep than has been released OTA then you won't get an upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #15
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Apparently bitching on the internet works, got the update to 11/2019.55 OTA the day after this post on the 27th.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 03:14 PM   #16
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Apparently bitching on the internet works, got the update to 11/2019.55 OTA the day after this post on the 27th.
Maybe I am the exception that proves your rule — my bitching has not resulting in anything constructive from BMW :-).

By way, are you sure you got OTA update to 11/2019.55? That doesn't really makes sense as latest 11/2019 is .70 and that's what everyone else has been receiving.
      08-30-2020, 05:51 PM   #17
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Maybe I am the exception that proves your rule — my bitching has not resulting in anything constructive from BMW :-).
No but it sure has given us a lot of entertainment.
Appreciate 1
LexxM31698.50