BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #1
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Wireless Apple CarPlay

Is there a quick way to turn wireless Apple CarPlay off?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
ORD_Flyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 40i MSport

This talks about exiting CarPlay without switching it off. Personally, I keep CarPlay off as I prefer iDrive for the Nav and haven't tried this yet. I usually just mount my iPhone in the free cupholder facing me so I can see texts come in and review it at a stop light.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Frenetic477.50
      08-09-2020, 04:00 PM   #3
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

What page is that?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORD_Flyer View Post
This talks about exiting CarPlay without switching it off. Personally, I keep CarPlay off as I prefer iDrive for the Nav and haven't tried this yet.
Having CarPlay running has nothing to do with running navigation in iDrive. I use CarPlay all of the time for texts, phone calls, podcasts, etc. but use iDrive for navigation.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 05:13 PM   #5
ORD_Flyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
What page is that?

Thanks.
There's a BMW Driver's Guide app that is basically your user's manual but in an app format. You have to enter your BMW Connected credentials and it will sync your account (so the correct manual displays) and you can quick search through the manual on the app. Search has been great when I need to quickly find something in the car.

This is my first BMW so it has been very useful for me. For example, my Acura has a blind side "tone"
whenever you signal into an occupied lane. I was hoping BMW had a similar setting and confirmed in the manual (Driver's Guide app) that BMW only has the steering wheel vibration feature for blind side assist (Outside of steering intervention). My primary concern with this is I'm having a hard time discerning steering wheel vibration vs. bad road surface (very common here in Chicago). The steering wheel vibration is set to high.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 05:16 PM   #6
ORD_Flyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
This talks about exiting CarPlay without switching it off. Personally, I keep CarPlay off as I prefer iDrive for the Nav and haven't tried this yet.
Having CarPlay running has nothing to do with running navigation in iDrive. I use CarPlay all of the time for texts, phone calls, podcasts, etc. but use iDrive for navigation.
I could possibly have the setting wrong but I noticed that when I tried to enter a nav destination via voice while CarPlay is enabled, it was defaulting to CarPlay navigation. I was only able to have iDrive nav default when CarPlay was off. I believe it happened to me twice before resorting to turning off CarPlay. I'm on iDrive 03/2020 at the moment. I'll try it again though next time I'm using the nav.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 06:35 PM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
I could possibly have the setting wrong but I noticed that when I tried to enter a nav destination via voice while CarPlay is enabled, it was defaulting to CarPlay navigation. I was only able to have iDrive nav default when CarPlay was off. I believe it happened to me twice before resorting to turning off CarPlay. I'm on iDrive 03/2020 at the moment. I'll try it again though next time I'm using the nav.
Make sure you are quick pressing the button to contact iDrive voice rather than long pressing and getting Siri. You can also do a "Hey BMW".
Appreciate 1