BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-01-2020, 02:44 PM   #1
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40 2022

I've been following many threads on here seeing what folks have, done to their X5 and beyond and specifically coding is one area I've been quite keen on.

Well I finally took the plunge this afternoon and after quite a bit of research I've finally done it using Bimmercode

Fellow newbies - I recommend using the Enet cable which you can pickup via ebay and RJ45 to lighting adapter if using iPhone. Much faster and stable is what I think From my experience and what I've read.

I have successfully coded:

Adaptive driving mode by default
ADV in expert mode
Lock car without horn when engine on

Looking forward to what more I can do and please continue to share tips and other codes. I wish there was a central library somewhere that everyone just posts codes and nothing more.

Thank you to all those that share their experience and codes
Appreciate 4
VTENGR1043.50
ifr1196.50
Mama3.00
MissVito205.50
      08-02-2020, 06:24 PM   #2
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshD View Post
I've been following many threads on here seeing what folks have, done to their X5 and beyond and specifically coding is one area I've been quite keen on.

Well I finally took the plunge this afternoon and after quite a bit of research I've finally done it using Bimmercode

Fellow newbies - I recommend using the Enet cable which you can pickup via ebay and RJ45 to lighting adapter if using iPhone. Much faster and stable is what I think From my experience and what I've read.

ADV in expert mode

Looking forward to what more I can do and please continue to share tips and other codes. I wish there was a central library somewhere that everyone just posts codes and nothing more.

Have you thought about changing the dash gauges to the Alpina ones?

BMW Parts and Accessories

https://pumperformance.com
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 08:55 AM   #3
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumxee View Post
I have but I have read (and maybe mistaken) then is not possible to switch back. If I do, I many switch to M version
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:18 AM   #4
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have but I have read (and maybe mistaken) then is not possible to switch back. If I do, I many switch to M version
What does the M one look like? I haven't seen it!

BMW Parts and Accessories

https://pumperformance.com
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
All coding is reversible with care (detailed notes of what was done, backups, etc).
      08-03-2020, 11:06 AM   #6
BMW lifer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 40i 2019

Quote:

Hi AshD. What model and model year is your X5 please?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 12:54 PM   #7
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW lifer View Post
Quote:

Hi AshD. What model and model year is your X5 please?
G05 X5 30d 2019
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 01:00 PM   #8
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What does the M one look like? I haven't seen it!
Dash view https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1713584

But you will lose the ADV if done.

I think the Alpina looks good. May give that go and see if I like it
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 01:14 PM   #9
six
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Quote:

ADV in expert mode

Interesting to see you were able to code “ Lock car without horn when engine on”. I looked for that a while back when I did some coding but couldn’t find it so perhaps it’s a recent addition. I’ll have to get it done ready for winter, since we aren’t to be trusted with proper remote start
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 08:17 PM   #10
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Adv is the drivers assistant? No way to get it?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:39 AM   #11
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I have coded at least 1 feature from each of the menus. Most are simply conveniences.

My favorite however..... is the ability to have the car start in "sport individual" every time. That's what I do 99% of my driving in.

My sport individual setting is sport suspension..... with everything else in comfort. It auto starts my air suspension on the 2nd setting (instead of 3rd setting), and eliminates the need to hit the "drop 1" suspension setting every time I start the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 12:40 PM   #12
BMW lifer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 40i 2019

Quote:
G05 X5 30d 2019
Hi AshD

Mine is 2019 40i so presumably I should be able to do the same as you?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #13
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW lifer View Post
Quote:
G05 X5 30d 2019
Hi AshD

Mine is 2019 40i so presumably I should be able to do the same as you?
I would assume so however you need to do your own research and it depends on your config. Please take small steps and learn as you go. Lot of quality information on this site.
Appreciate 1
ifr1196.50
      08-07-2020, 10:13 AM   #14
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Silly question, but does coding quick settings like the default driving mode, void the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 11:28 AM   #15
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Silly question, but does coding quick settings like the default driving mode, void the warranty?
TL;DR No one knows, you have to make your own risk decisions.

You're almost never going to get a straight answer to that question. Customers simply don't know and BMW will never say "no problem, go ahead". BMW may at some point clarify that as warranty voiding, but that would a) violate consumer laws in some countries like US, and b) at this technology point lose customers, like me (as ability to code out several frustrating stupidities is the only reason I am quite happy with my G05 X5, for example).

Coding in this context is changing options that are already programmed, not changing the program, but sometimes the parameters can have a short or long term impact on reliability. You have to carefully and attentively reason out each case yourself and make a risk decision yourself.

For example, when examining how ASS works stock in detail, coding to turn on ASS memory can't possibly be reliability risky and is likely a reliability improvement due to reduced starter and battery wear, but it might violate artificial fuel economy testing setup assumptions.

On the other hand, default driving mode is a little trickier as setting Sport Plus as I do increases the risk of someone stupidly gunning the engine from deep freezing temps before lubrication has reached operating temps, and that's "bad".

And some coding can enable unreleased program features or have other negative net safety impact as you're in a 5000 lbs brick moving at 60mph within a couple of feet alongside other barely conscious 5000 lbs bricks — that can be a serious safety issue, hence @ifr's approach to highly experimental TLA coding publications. Maybe not warranty issue, but certainly safety and liability issue.

You have to decide for yourself, but do it with attention, not carelessly as is way too common.
      08-07-2020, 12:25 PM   #16
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post

You're almost never going to get a straight answer to that question. Customers simply don't know and BMW will never say "no problem, go ahead". BMW may at some point clarify that as warranty voiding, but that would a) violate consumer laws in some countries like US, and b) at this technology point lose customers, like me (as ability to code out several frustrating stupidities is the only reason I am quite happy with my G05 X5, for example).

Coding in this context is changing options that are already programmed, not changing the program, but sometimes the parameters can have a short or long term impact on reliability. You have to carefully and attentively reason out each case yourself and make a risk decision yourself.

For example, when examining how ASS works stock in detail, coding to turn on ASS memory can't possibly be reliability risky and is likely a reliability improvement due to reduced starter and battery wear, but it might violate artificial fuel economy testing setup assumptions.

On the other hand, default driving mode is a little trickier as setting Sport Plus as I do increases the risk of someone stupidly gunning the engine from deep freezing temps before lubrication has reached operating temps, and that's "bad".

And some coding can enable unreleased program features or have other negative net safety impact as you're in a 5000 lbs brick moving at 60mph within a couple of feet alongside other barely conscious 5000 lbs bricks — that can be a serious safety issue, hence @ifr's approach to highly experimental TLA coding publications. Maybe not warranty issue, but certainly safety and liability issue.

You have to decide for yourself, but do it with attention, not carelessly as is way too common.
This is a great response, thank you! I'm really only interested in doing a few things to my x6. One would be having it default to eco pro!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 03:02 PM   #17
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

This is a great response, thank you! I'm really only interested in doing a few things to my x6. One would be having it default to eco pro!
Wow, default in Eco Pro for something with at least real-life 350hp ... would not be my choice, but it is the safe choice.

Now if I could program the car to automatically switch to Eco Pro with ACC enable and then automatically switch back to previous mode with ACC disable, I'd buy that for a dollar.
      08-07-2020, 04:09 PM   #18
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 X5

Quote:
Wow, default in Eco Pro for something with at least real-life 350hp ... would not be my choice, but it is the safe choice.

Now if I could program the car to automatically switch to Eco Pro with ACC enable and then automatically switch back to previous mode with ACC disable, I'd buy that for a dollar.
Mine is actually the other way around. Be default ACC is turned off (via bimmercode) as soon as i turn on eco pro, it enables ACC back on till i switch back to comfort or any other driving mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 05:26 PM   #19
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Solid View Post
Quote:

Mine is actually the other way around. Be default ACC is turned off (via bimmercode) as soon as i turn on eco pro, it enables ACC back on till i switch back to comfort or any other driving mode.
Hm, to each his own I suppose, but I understand neither the mechanism nor the logic of your wish.

- ACC = adaptive cruise control, which I and many of us almost always pair with lane tracking mode as well as utilize assisted lane change facility; that is, mostly computer control of all aspects of driving the car

- ACC is a feature that you NEVER want turned on as a side effect of any other change as safety is involved; as implemented and the sole and only method of turning on ACC manually by the driver is exceedingly the right way to do it

- when I am in control of the car, being a geeky alpha human and having given up an M3 for the practicality of the G05 X5, I want everything to the red line, literally and figuratively: tight, aggressive, noisy, responsive, visceral - hence I start and drive manually in Sport Pro, have my DINANtronics Sport unit set to Race Mode, fill up on highest street octane available here, and happily trade off the fuel economy for that connection to machine and road

- when computers are mostly in control of the car, none of that matters AT ALL, and hence I always switch to Eco Pro after switching on ACC — why waste fuel on a computer that doesn't care about the driving experience in the least

- hence why I want ACC on to trigger Eco Pro and ACC off to trigger last driving mode (which for me would always be Sport Plus, but why limit the imaginary function needlessly)

That's my logic. What's yours?
      08-10-2020, 01:17 PM   #20
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Now if I could program the car to automatically switch to Eco Pro with ACC enable......
I have noticed that when ACC is enabled in Eco Pro mode, the car builds up speed very slowly when the ACC asks it to resume automatically (or when you hit the gas pedal for it to resume), hence makes the people behind you get annoying about your slow start ups.

It maybe my car only but you can try the response of ACC startups in different driving modes.
      08-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #21
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Quote:
Now if I could program the car to automatically switch to Eco Pro with ACC enable......
I have noticed that when ACC is enabled in Eco Pro mode, the car builds up speed very slowly when the ACC asks it to resume automatically (or when you hit the gas pedal for it to resume), hence makes the people behind you get annoying about your slow start ups.

It maybe my car only but you can try the response of ACC startups in different driving modes.
Yes, that's part of the point of Eco in stop/start situations, the opposite of lead-foot.
      08-14-2020, 04:25 PM   #22
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I coded the M display and I can confirm that I have NOT lost any functionality. I have the Advanced Drivers Assistance and it works and displays just as before. The only thing I have noticed is that the M display is pretty much standard and doesn't change much based on the driving mode.
Appreciate 0