BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-11-2019, 08:56 PM   #23
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7_li View Post
So an update with my X5 and the creaking noise, I cleaned the rubber seals (door and body) very carefully with ethanol and was quite surprised by how much debris/residue/dirt there was; I also polished then waxed the painted surfaces. Then I applied BMW-branded gummi-pfledge to the rubber seals then let it dry for about an hour with the X5 doors open and a fan running in the garage; I also applied Chemical Guys VRP to the hard plastic areas (window surrounds, etc.), probably overkill, but just in case. It got pretty warm in my area today (high 90s Farenheit) and the noise is gone at various speeds and road surfaces; we will see how long it lasts. As for the gummi-pledge itself, it seems the formulation has changed a bit; I think the previous version might have been a vaseline-like product in terms of consistency/viscosity; the one I got is a clear liquid with a sponge applicator. Fingers crossed the noise is gone...at least for a little while.
Interesting. I hope it lasts!

I'm going in this week to have the tape installed. If that doesn't help, I'm going to try this. Did you just use straight ethanol alcohol?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #24
Pete7_li
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
Interesting. I hope it lasts!

I'm going in this week to have the tape installed. If that doesn't help, I'm going to try this. Did you just use straight ethanol alcohol?
I used 70% ethanol I got from CVS. Btw...if you don't mind me asking, noticed you are in DC, which dealer do you use/have good experience with? I'm in Maryland and have only worked with Silver Spring...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #25
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7_li View Post
I used 70% ethanol I got from CVS. Btw...if you don't mind me asking, noticed you are in DC, which dealer do you use/have good experience with? I'm in Maryland and have only worked with Silver Spring...
PM sent

Thanks for the info on the ethanol. I just got the car home this afternoon and the tape seems to be helping, at least on the short ride home from the dealership. We'll see once I spend more time in it.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #26
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
PM sent

Thanks for the info on the ethanol. I just got the car home this afternoon and the tape seems to be helping, at least on the short ride home from the dealership. We'll see once I spend more time in it.
Don't forget to let us know where they put the tape, ok?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 06:03 PM   #27
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Don't forget to let us know where they put the tape, ok?
They put the tape along the door frame, lining it up not with the rubber seal but with the "felt" seal that runs along the door.

There hasn't been any squeaking but I still hear the occasional knocks and pops.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #28
LuisPT
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisPT View Post
Hi all,

I have taken my X5 to the dealer this week because of this same issue.
They tested the car, confirmed the noise, and the solution they have given is to put some teflon tape in some critical points. They say it is not the rubber but rather the car door panels friction against body parts. They also told me this is a very common issue they are used to.
I will let you know the outcomes as soon as I get my car back later this week (hopefully).
Best!
It would be great to see pix of where they put the teflon tape
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

I have taken my X5 to the dealer this week because of this same issue.
They tested the car, confirmed the noise, and the solution they have given is to put some teflon tape in some critical points. They say it is not the rubber but rather the car door panels friction against body parts. They also told me this is a very common issue they are used to.
I will let you know the outcomes as soon as I get my car back later this week (hopefully).
Best!
It would be great to see pix of where they put the teflon tape
Hi again!
Got my X5 back from dealer today and door creaking is definitely gone! The textile tape (not teflon), was applied in the inside of the door panels in specific points where there was frictioning. The mechanic team knew exactly what to look for and where (so I was told).
Hoping my experience helps!
Best,
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #29
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
[

Hi again!
Got my X5 back from dealer today and door creaking is definitely gone! The textile tape (not teflon), was applied in the inside of the door panels in specific points where there was frictioning. The mechanic team knew exactly what to look for and where (so I was told).
Best,
That's great! Any chance you could share some pictures?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #30
LuisPT
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Quote:
[

Hi again!
Best,
That's great! Any chance you could share some pictures?
They put it in the inside of the doors... so not visible
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 02:26 PM   #31
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Oh, gotcha. Is it behind the door panel you mean?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #32
LuisPT
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Quote:
Oh, gotcha. Is it behind the door panel you mean?
Yep
Appreciate 1
X5_CC288.50
      09-16-2019, 10:24 AM   #33
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They put the tape along the door frame, lining it up not with the rubber seal but with the "felt" seal that runs along the door.

There hasn't been any squeaking but I still hear the occasional knocks and pops.
Tlon, did you read LuisPT's thread and where he said his dealer put the tape?...it appears to be inside the door panel. Are you saying yours is in a different place than his? This would mean they took his interior door panel off the door, applied the tape and then replaced the door panel. Did they do the same to yours?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:29 AM   #34
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Tlon, did you read LuisPT's thread and where he said his dealer put the tape?...it appears to be inside the door panel. Are you saying yours is in a different place than his? This would mean they took his interior door panel off the door, applied the tape and then replaced the door panel. Did they do the same to yours?
Yes, I read it with some interest. Mine was applied in a very visible place along the door frame. It's transparent tape, though, so you have to look for it to notice it. I'd say it eliminated (at least so far) 75% of my noise. I still get the occasional popping/knocking over bumps, but the slow speed/vehicle-flexing creaking seems to be mostly gone.

I may push on the tape behind the door panels at some point, but for now I'm enjoying the increase in silence in the car. Just wish it was completely quiet.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #35
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I read it with some interest. Mine was applied in a very visible place along the door frame. It's transparent tape, though, so you have to look for it to notice it. I'd say it eliminated (at least so far) 75% of my noise. I still get the occasional popping/knocking over bumps, but the slow speed/vehicle-flexing creaking seems to be mostly gone.

I may push on the tape behind the door panels at some point, but for now I'm enjoying the increase in silence in the car. Just wish it was completely quiet.
Ok, thanks, interesting that two dealers dealt with what appears to be the same issue, differently. The other noises you are hearing, popping/knocking is also a common complaint. I do recall one thread where the dealer found Evaporator hoses under the car were not plugged in causing noises when driving. You may want to check yours.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #36
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok, thanks, interesting that two dealers dealt with what appears to be the same issue, differently. The other noises you are hearing, popping/knocking is also a common complaint. I do recall one thread where the dealer found Evaporator hoses under the car were not plugged in causing noises when driving. You may want to check yours.
FWIW, I've had the tape along the door threshold done before on previous BMWs -- they are squeakboxes -- so I sort of expected them to do this. It solves some but not all the problems. It definitely helps with the squeaking that is a result of the felt seal rubbing against the metal door frame.

My dealership is pretty conservative about taking about anything. They feel that doing that more often than not makes it worse (i.e., they loosen something up in the process that is impossible to get back to factory standards). For the most part, I buy into that argument, but if the noise is bad enough I'd rather take my chances with a fix. So, this is the first step. Well, second, the first time they just used gummifledge and thought they'd fixed it. This time, the shop foreman got involved, thankfully.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 01:57 AM   #37
shawkyns
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d

just another thought on this. Have had my 20 for the last two weeks, and noticed a squeaking, tapping coming from the drivers side door. not all the time, just when at speed >50 and on a washboard road or with a bump, like a asvalted crack in the road. read the forum, tried localizing it. window up and down, no difference. pressed in on all of the various panels while driving, with no relief. it sounded like it was coming from the a-pillar or the speaker in the door, but really could not get more specific than that.

now it is in the dealer, getting pain and leather protection. they tried finding it last week, but said they could not duplicate the problem. I even had a video of the sound that I played for them.. no luck.

yesterday, went into the dealer to check on the status.. was told that they still could not find it. so after speaking with my service guy, he got the shop foreman to go for a drive with me. took it about half hour away to a road i knew would duplicate the sounds, and sure enough got it to make the noise while he was in the car.

so he then starts doing the same thing, pressing on panels, different speeds, window up and down.. turns out that it was the cover on the steering column that was making the noise. put some pressure on it and the noise seems to stop.

it is now getting repaired. I dont know if that means new clips, felt tape or a new panel.. but am confident that this can now be sorted.

wanted to share in case anybody else had issues finding the odd noise. I never would have even thought to look at the column on my own.
Appreciate 2
Tlon173.00
      08-05-2020, 05:42 PM   #38
parkstr8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 MSport Arctic Grey

Resurrecting an old thread...my new 20 has creaking on all 4 doors as well. Main culprit is right by my left driver ear...in the corner of the door.

Going to try felt adhesive strips along the inside of the door frame.

Does anyone have photos of where they put the tape and was successful?

thx!

Last edited by parkstr8; 08-05-2020 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 06:24 AM   #39
dmaccioc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

My 2019 has the same squeaky drivers door issue... no other doors make noise. Definitely irritating but I’ve got about 5k miles until my next service, will have them look at it then. Turning up the music in the meantime...
Appreciate 1
parkstr8562.00
      08-12-2020, 10:03 AM   #40
Bianx
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Same issue in my 2019. Driver's door somewhere.. enough to drive you nuts.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 09:34 AM   #41
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Anyone finally figure out what the fix is for this? My 2020 X5M all of a sudden developed this creak on the drivers side door where if i crack the window a smidge open the noise stops but once i close it fully it creaks once the car starts moving over any uneven surfaces.

I am use to fixing these types of noises from all of my past bmw but this time i can't see to locate the issue even after lubing up all the door seals, common fix areas. Its driving me insane!
      10-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #42
Usher9387
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Anyone finally figure out what the fix is for this? My 2020 X5M all of a sudden developed this creak on the drivers side door where if i crack the window a smidge open the noise stops but once i close it fully it creaks once the car starts moving over any uneven surfaces.

I am use to fixing these types of noises from all of my past bmw but this time i can't see to locate the issue even after lubing up all the door seals, common fix areas. Its driving me insane!
I was having this issue quite some time back and applied Gummi Pflege on the door solved the problem for a week and came back again.

I found the following video and applied the tape now its all good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLs1...l=TommyLGarage
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 07:56 PM   #43
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

^^ funny because I did the same fix to my F80 M3 several years ago and it made that car 100% squeak/rattle free

I actually went out during my lunch break earlier today and put the same tape on my X5M and sure enough the creak went away! I didn't think the X5M needed it since the materials on top of the doors seems better quality than older BMW's but guess not.

Alan
      10-01-2020, 11:20 PM   #44
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
^^ funny because I did the same fix to my F80 M3 several years ago and it made that car 100% squeak/rattle free
parky1215's Rattle Fix!
Appreciate 0